All Bulma has left are old lady jokes

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: All Bulma has left are old lady jokes

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:18 pm

Regarder wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:00 pm If you think all female characters sound like they're written by space aliens then maybe you could put pressure on the creators, get together a petition or something, post it on twitter etc. Maybe run for office if you think it'll help.
What a load of snark. Are you this willfully ignorant?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:01 pm

Her character is pretty much done. In fact, most characters are done. What does Vegeta have going for him? "I'm good now and I want to surpass Kakarot". That's what Vegeta's character's been for years now. What about Gohan? "I have a family and a job or something now so I keep slacking off and getting weaker, but I manage to pull something out of my ass and become stronger". Let's not forget about the main character himself, Goku "I'm a dumbass that wants to become stronger".

DB needs to let go of the old characters and move on to the next gen. Maybe even give attention to the newer characters Super introduced, like the U6 saiyans or the Pride Troopers, if the series is really this desperate to keep going.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:52 pm

I have no issue with a the Zuno Gag of Bulma's bust, she's spoiled vain and superficial, as well as being a fierce independent intellectual power house. She had been giving Jaco a lot of crap and got joy from making idle threats about Vegeta wrecking him etc, was just some amusing comeuppance that she suffered some humiliation back.

what I found disappointing is the initial set up premise of the U6 arc seemed so much more exciting.

Goku and Vegeta training for the tournament, but Bulma being concerned that Beerus could be reckless with the Super DBs so she and Jaco go off and have their own adventure running parallel to the tournament.

But then it's just the Super DBs are absolutely massive, and have all bar one been collected and Bulma ends up doing nothing.

Like they could've done so much more, Goku struggling with Hit and thinks maybe he could beat him. But Vegeta is concerned they've not heard from Bulma yet. So Goku still with curiosity to see Monaka fight, also realises a victory from him then would end the tournament and reveal Bulma is off getting the Super DBs so knows an extra fight extends that - if they had more breathing room in between rounds and fights.

Heck Bulma could've even been recruited into early Moro arc. Jaco boasting about the upgrades to his ship - The patrol are jealous because despite his lowly ranking his equipment puts theirs to shame. Bulma tags along with Goku and Vegeta early on - Would've made so much sense for her to accidentally let slip about Blue Aurum being on Earth which is why Moro's goons target Earth later on.

She had her moments in the FT arc for the anime I guess, I can't really recall her being quite so involved in the Manga. I do always hold out that Bulma's smarts mean she could be brought into any arc at any time really. I'd be a bit surprised if she's at least not used for some relevant exposition about the RR members in the new film.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:03 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:01 pm DB needs to let go of the old characters and move on to the next gen.
But Dragon Ball is the story of Goku's life; and didn't the Boo arc give us proof that the next generation and all non-Saiyan members of the Dragon Team are incompetent? Gotenks took a fat L, Gohan took a fat L twice, Vegeta fucking DIED, Tenshinhan took a fat L, Kuririn got turned into chocolate, and Piccolo...ehhhhhhh, I guess he did something of value, but everyone else achieved fuck all in that arc. The only protagonists that did something of any significant value are Goku, Vegetto, Ultimate Gohan, maybe Gotenks, and Piccolo.

Honestly, the humans should just retire...
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:05 pm

Yep, this seems to be the case.

The only worthwhile thing I remember her doing in DBS was fixing the Time Machine so that Goku and co. could escape when Zeno erased the Future timeline. Without this, Goku and co. would have been erased along with Infinite Zamasu when Zeno decided to end everything.

Has she done anything else that actually impacted and changed the plot in any significant way?

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:16 pm

I have no issue eith these jokes, the issue is, until when they'll still work? One thing I don't get is, Super Hero takes place a year before the End of Z, why the hell does Bulma still look "young"?? Like, okay, as Yuji said, the hair cut she had in EoZ makes she look older, but the way she looks in Super Hero doesn't come even close to her look in the Future Trunks timeline.
DestructoDisc wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:01 pm Her character is pretty much done. In fact, most characters are done. What does Vegeta have going for him? "I'm good now and I want to surpass Kakarot". That's what Vegeta's character's been for years now. What about Gohan? "I have a family and a job or something now so I keep slacking off and getting weaker, but I manage to pull something out of my ass and become stronger". Let's not forget about the main character himself, Goku "I'm a dumbass that wants to become stronger".

DB needs to let go of the old characters and move on to the next gen. Maybe even give attention to the newer characters Super introduced, like the U6 saiyans or the Pride Troopers, if the series is really this desperate to keep going.
You don't need to develop a character to make it still relevant or a main char, Sonic The Hedgehog in the games (the ones with story at least) and in Sonic X have 0% character development, but he's always the main character, Ash Ketchum, even though he's no more the main char in Journeys, kept up as the face of the anime and movies of Pokemon for pretty much 2 decades, and he pretty much had a development just in the very beginning.
Making a character have it's arc done, isn't a reason to left it on the darkness, Goku isn't liked because of his character development, but because of what he is as a character, someone that never gives up, always is thrilled, very innocent and inspirative, this is the essence and basis of what he is, this is what catches the eyes of the audience, his development was pretty much done in the Piccolo Daimao arc, but in Z, it was still him who made a sacrifice to defeat Raditz, he was the hope in the battle against Vegeta and Nappa, he was the one who defeated Freeza and Boo, even though he wasn't who defeated Cell, I don't see what happened in the final of the Cell Games as a baton pass, but instead, a situation where the main character let the other have it's shine, Gohan was their hope in the moment, Goku was the protagonist, but not the one able to defeat the villain, an example:
You just need to make the character charismatic enough to make it relevant.
Bulma didn't had a strong development, she still show today, traits of how she was in the beginning, from tricking Goku just to make her succesful in the search of the Dragon balls, from the several headaches she causes to Jaco.

As FPSSJ4_Goku said, since the Saiyans arc, and the Boo arc, the series made up very clear that Gohan, Goten and Trunks wouldn't work as main characters, but that they work better as "substitutes" when Goku isn't around, Dragon Ball is about Goku, he is the face of the franchise, there is no media without him, Bio Broly have him, A Hero's Legacy have him, he is who carries the title Dragon Ball, the name of the series just isn't Son Goku because, well, Toriyama.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:41 pm

In Super Broly, Goku makes comment suggesting Bulma had already been using the Dragonballs to make herself look younger. Instead of answering, Bulma angrily accelerated the ship and sent him falling backward into the luggage. It's not unlikely that she would use the Dragonballs to slow or reverse her aging a bit. She's pretty much always gathering the Dragonballs whenever they're available and was going to have them as the Bingo Prize in Battle of Gods.

And I don't wanna hear anything about Bulma not looking older when her MOM hasn't aged an iota since the start of the series.Hell her brief appearances in Super have her looking even younger. Which could just be the design change or art style change. So before whining about Bulma, how about asking why Mrs. Brief looks like she's 25-30 when she should be in her 60's-70's.Or how about Tights; Bulma's older sister, who looks like she's still in her 20's to early 30's.

The simple reason why they make age jokes about Bulma is because she is vain enough to be bothered by them. That's it. Whether someone finds them funny or not is up to the individuals taste in comedy.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:05 am

Zelvin wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:41 pm The simple reason why they make age jokes about Bulma is because she is vain enough to be bothered by them. That's it. Whether someone finds them funny or not is up to the individuals taste in comedy.
There are other jokes to make that don't re-enforce awful stereotypes and standards to kids. I'm not sure whether or not you're a woman but this shit isn't particularly funny to us and I find it exasperating to flip open a comic or watch a movie and be inundated with the weird political ideas of some rich cishet man.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:06 am

You don't even need to bring up Bulma and Tights' parents, a reminder that this young-looking lady over here is sixty three years old.

Either Bulma's family have a trait of maintaning a youthful look even after they hit a certain age, or this is purely an out-universe issue. An art style because they can't properly depict female characters around this age (without the usual stereotype of putting a line near the mouth or something). In a male character it's a little easier, just throw a mustache and put some lines under the eyes.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:05 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:05 am There are other jokes to make that don't re-enforce awful stereotypes and standards to kids.
What stereotypes? That tits sag as women get older? That's not a stereotype. That's biological reality. Affects more with a higher fat percentage in the body. And what kids? Quite certain the series is aimed at young adults, who're likely to make fun of just about anything.
I'm not sure whether or not you're a woman
Which is irrelevant to an intelligent discussion. But do go on.
but this shit isn't particularly funny to us
I didn't know you spoke for All Women. Hold on, lemme go exchange pleasantries with the family to confirm a few things.

...nope. They say you don't speak for them. Which I guess was kind of obvious.
and I find it exasperating to flip open a comic or watch a movie and be inundated with the weird political ideas of some rich cishet man.
Funny cause I've never seen that in a movie or comic that wasn't written by, or intentionally made for, a certain demographic of people that rather explicitly hate men (primarily straight white men) and kept pushing for this idea of "diversity", while actually making things less so in numerous ways. Not the least of which being the erasure of redheads/gingers in fiction, media and historical fiction. Which has gotten so bad that comic fans have actually had to make a list of everyone they've seen either being killed off and replaced by a "diversity" character (which is insulting to both parties since it means the latter can't even have their own identity, they only get hand-me-downs) or straight up race and/or gender-swapped.

And you'd know how all kinds of awful that is when you consider the fact that only about 2% of the entire global population are natural redheads. With more than 30% of that number originating from Ireland, with many others being of Irish heritage.

So with that in mind; what's the real issue? You being offended over Jokes, or an entire demographic of people being steadily erased from media and popculture? Because I can absolutely tell you that Women are not being hurt by jokes. I've never seen a woman walk out of a comedy club with a black eye because a joke landed too hard.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."