Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 83 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 83 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:06 pm

I know if I say this it will look like that I'm crazy, and that the chances of this happening are almost inexistent, but I'll just take this out from the box because I saw nobody thinking about this yet.

Bardock achieves the Saiyan Beyond God form.
First of all, The Super Saiyan God Legend in no way describes how the transformation looks like, the red hair, the fire looking aura, nothing is mentioned, it's possible that it simply refers to a regular looking saiyan, with a god ki. Bardock's aura shows a resemblance with the aura that we see in the Fukkatsu no F movie, his hair also moves, exactly like Goku's hair in the Saiyan Beyond God state.

Taking away that possibility, I just can see him defeating Gas by achieving a form of his own, or that is a potential unleashed, but Monaito said he doesn't remember how Bardock defeated Gas, so for me that doesn't go anywhere.

Also, it's important to note that before Goku, the regular Yamoshi SSJ legend was 1000 years old, the legend was still very strong in age 762, while it seems, that the SSJ God legend was pretty much losing it's weight throughout the years, you see nobody mentioning it, except for Freeza, probably because, exactly, nobody knew how it looked like, The Legendary Super Saiyan was patently know by his golden hair, but the SSJ God, not even Shenlong mentioned how he looks, probably because, who saw it, couldn't distinguish it very much from a Base form Saiyan, there's the possibility that Freeza knew about the SSJ God because of Bardock fighting Gas, who knows?
Well, that's it, if ends being this, I'll really be surprised, this is my bet.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:04 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:26 pm so perhaps he would wish to become the most knowledgeable person in the universe, taking Zuno’s place?
How would one even defeat such a person? With instincts? Luck? He should technically know everyone's weak point and every attack that will come at him.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:05 pm

Cipher wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:55 am
emperior wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:24 am My absolute weird and unlikely prediction is that Goku gets temporarily teleported from the present to the past through some Cerealian Dragon Balls-related shenanigans, and he is instrumental in helping out his father win the fight.

It is the kind of fan service I would not be too surprised to see, considering how heavily requested a meeting (and team up) of the two is. They may also not get another chance to do this. Or maybe Goku will just enter Bardock’s head and coach him throughout the fight, never revealing his identity, or even take over his body temporarily.
If Monaito (or someone) saved Bardock by summoning present-day Goku via the Dragon Balls, what happened to Bardock in all those timelines where Goku dies far earlier?

Whatever the wish is, it logically can't have anything to do with Goku being alive in the present.
Ah yes, I hadn’t given any thought to it not fitting with Dragon Ball’s timelines.

Then I would go with the easiest prediction, and say that Monaito just asks Toronbo to fully restore Bardock’s health. Then, I guess Bardock will somehow lose his tail and that this will be connected to his power boost which will be instinct-like. But it should also be something which can be said out loud to be revealed to those listening through the scouter in the present, so it cannot just be a nice aura, it should be a particular technique.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:37 pm

I like Elec's approach regarding intel and money being more important than power to rule the universe, I'm just wondering how exactly he will accomplish it in the DB setting, where strength almost always prevails. I mean, he still needed to turn Gas into the strongest to get rid of Goku, Granolah and Vegeta (granted, Elec reached this point because his previous plan to make them kill each other didn't worked, but the point is that he still need muscles to actually put down the strong guys). And assuming that Gas doesn't have much time left after the wish, none of the other Heeters can deal with Freeza. Elec also doesn't care about having an army so that's also out of question for him to handle his main enemy.

That's why I actually liked the idea that he could make a wish for Freeza. Yeah, it can easily backfire, but it's something that could work not only as a back-up plan (because if Gas fail, Freeza as the strongest would certainly go after Goku and Vegeta), but as a way to deal with Freeza himself assuming that he would also not have much time left. He would deal with all of his threats

I'm not into the idea of making the "strongest" wish for the 3rd time, but it's a interesting idea overall

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:16 am

Rafa Fast wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:06 pm I know if I say this it will look like that I'm crazy, and that the chances of this happening are almost inexistent, but I'll just take this out from the box because I saw nobody thinking about this yet.

First of all, The Super Saiyan God Legend in no way describes how the transformation looks like, the red hair, the fire looking aura, nothing is mentioned, it's possible that it simply refers to a regular looking saiyan, with a god ki. Bardock's aura shows a resemblance with the aura that we see in the Fukkatsu no F movie, his hair also moves, exactly like Goku's hair in the Saiyan Beyond God state.

Taking away that possibility, I just can see him defeating Gas by achieving a form of his own, or that is a potential unleashed, but Monaito said he doesn't remember how Bardock defeated Gas, so for me that doesn't go anywhere.

Also, it's important to note that before Goku, the regular Yamoshi SSJ legend was 1000 years old, the legend was still very strong in age 762, while it seems, that the SSJ God legend was pretty much losing it's weight throughout the years, you see nobody mentioning it, except for Freeza, probably because, exactly, nobody knew how it looked like, The Legendary Super Saiyan was patently know by his golden hair, but the SSJ God, not even Shenlong mentioned how he looks, probably because, who saw it, couldn't distinguish it very much from a Base form Saiyan, there's the possibility that Freeza knew about the SSJ God because of Bardock fighting Gas, who knows?
Saiyan beyond god doesn't exist in the manga. Thank Dende for that.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:34 am

TobyS wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:16 am
Rafa Fast wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:06 pm I know if I say this it will look like that I'm crazy, and that the chances of this happening are almost inexistent, but I'll just take this out from the box because I saw nobody thinking about this yet.

Saiyan beyond god doesn't exist in the manga. Thank Dende for that.
It doesn't exist in the anime or the movies either. It's headcanon that started from a Heroes trailer for the movie ROF.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:37 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:34 am
TobyS wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:16 am Saiyan beyond god doesn't exist in the manga. Thank Dende for that.
It doesn't exist in the anime or the movies either. It's headcanon that started from a Heroes trailer for the movie ROF.
I meant in a what if scenario they actually make it canon? We're living in a age that they like to make old non-canon stuff into canon, or turning into reality ideas that were hinted for their existence to be possible, but it didn't appear at all yet (ex: Vegeta's Ultra Ego being his "Hakaishin" form), so for me everything is possible.
If that's not it, then for me, it's going to be Super Saiyan "Power", it's my last bet (perhaps, to be more precise, the state we see in DBSB isn't the same thing we see Goku using in the Other World torunament arc)
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:39 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:34 amIt's headcanon that started from a Heroes trailer for the movie ROF.
Then what are these?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:50 pm

I know it's a long shot, since Toriyama has always been against it. However, what if the instinct Goku derives from the memories of his father being a savior is that of a Hero?

Bardock even questioned his inclinations for putting himself at risk to save the two Cerealians and Namekian. It seems Goku has been suppressing his true inner nature, In denial about what he is like his father maybe?

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:27 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:39 pm
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:34 amIt's headcanon that started from a Heroes trailer for the movie ROF.
Then what are these?
First one is from a manga that Toriyama pretends he cares about, the second one is from a art book he uses to wipe his ass with and the last one is from a game were he properly things you need a Sega genesis to play. I'm talking about in-universe statements that says they are two base forms.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:28 pm

No, you were talking about "headcanon", but there are three different media acknowledging it. So it's more than "headcanon". The only thing that comes from Dragon Ball Heroes is its name.

Anyway, since it's off-topic, just gonna ask something to think about: if the power of Super Saiyan God can be absorbed and then used with the Super Saiyan forms, why wouldn't it be possible to use it in base form too? Statements are nice, but there are occasions where they aren't really needed.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:56 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:28 pm No, you were talking about "headcanon", but there are three different media acknowledging it. So it's more than "headcanon". The only thing that comes from Dragon Ball Heroes is its name.

Anyway, since it's off-topic, just gonna ask something to think about: if the power of Super Saiyan God can be absorbed and then used with the Super Saiyan forms, why wouldn't it be possible to use it in base form too? Statements are nice, but there are occasions where they aren't really needed.
Yes, the two base theory is headcanon because it was never shown Goku and Vegeta could switch between "normal mode" and "gode mode". Goku and Vegeta always have those god powers with no switching inbetween. Heroes just made it look like they could in the trailers and gameplay, and people wanne it to be true because they wanne to save the power scaling.

But anyway, can Toyotarou stop with the clear fanboying over Bardock? Is he getting help from Naho Ōishi to write this charter?

redon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by redon » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:13 pm

Here is my Dragon Ball Super chapter 83 full summary that I can share with you.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:19 pm

It was just an emotional power up rather than Super Saiyan, I'm guessing?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:23 pm

"- Bardock: ""Well then, yeah... May my sons grow up well... I wish them well"
I'm impressed by my ability to pick absurdly awesome characters as my favorites, since they generally reflect something personal about me. Simply love the way Bardock is being written here.

Now, what is this power-up Bardock got? Surely his aura is not an usual one. Hopefully it is explained at some point, and by the way this chapter ends, we might get just a little more in the next.

~ Day of the Machines ~

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:25 pm

Yuji wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:19 pm It was just an emotional power up rather than Super Saiyan, I'm guessing?
It’s not even that. It seems like it was just the usual Saiyan ability to get stronger during a fight. There is no special form, no special nothing about Bardock. He won a fight, and that’s all. And the trick was to just fight to win, nothing else. It is so simple but effective. And it suits Goku, too, without altering his character, if the lesson is to just fight with fire in your eyes and the sheer determination to win. You know, like Goku always did.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:36 pm

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:50 pm

If the wish was actually granted, the implications are huge.

Basically, Goku and Raditz would have luckily survived Vegeta’s explosion due to a DB wish…? That is actually interesting if true. And if the wish was to “grow up well” it may have ended once they grew, hence their death shortly thereafter?

Which could also mean that Goku, as a kid, may have survived many times due to this wish and not just luck. Ex. Taopaipai, King Piccolo… the former he survived thanks to a dragon ball, while the latter was weirder as King Piccolo was sure about his death as the heart had stopped.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:52 pm

emperior wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:50 pm If the wish was actually granted, the implications are huge.

Basically, Goku and Raditz would have luckily survived Vegeta’s explosion due to a DB wish…? That is actually interesting if true. And if the wish was to “grow up well” it may have ended once they grew, hence their death shortly thereafter?

Which could also mean that Goku, as a kid, may have survived many times due to this wish and not just luck. Ex. Taopaipai, King Piccolo… the former he survived thanks to a dragon ball, while the latter was weirder as King Piccolo was sure about his death as the heart had stopped.
Right...

...so now, instead of those things being main character plot armor, they actually have an in-universe explanation.

I'm sure this won't be polarizing...............

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:08 pm

batistabus wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:52 pm
emperior wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:50 pm If the wish was actually granted, the implications are huge.

Right...

...so now, instead of those things being main character plot armor, they actually have an in-universe explanation.

I'm sure this won't be polarizing...............
I don’t think people will give too much thought to it. Moreover I assume it’s not even clear if Monaito granted the wish or not, or if Toronbo heard Bardock and thus granted his wish.

This will be probably left up for interpretation, which is cool by me.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”