Why "Tullece" and not something like "Turlece"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zygote1999

Why "Tullece" and not something like "Turlece"?

Post by Zygote1999 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:21 pm

In romaji his name is Taaresu. The romaji equivalent of Tullece would be Taresu. It doesn't account for the elongated a sound, whereas something like Turlece or Tarlece (or even Turles) does.

With this in mind, why go with Tullece?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why "Tullece" and not something like "Turlece"?

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:35 pm

Because its anagram of lettuce. Lettuce lacks the letter r

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:12 pm

Zygote1999 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:21 pm In romaji his name is Taaresu. The romaji equivalent of Tullece would be Taresu. It doesn't account for the elongated a sound, whereas something like Turlece or Tarlece (or even Turles) does.

With this in mind, why go with Tullece?
So that the pun is made clear to English speakers. Your examples are phonetically accurate, but obscure the pun.

レタス(retasu) = "Lettuce"
ターレス(taaresu) = "Tullece"

You could argue that the double-L in "Tullece" accounts for the elongated kana, but even if not, it's not a huge deal in my view. The pun is clear and the sound is close enough.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:29 am

I agree, Tullece isn't the most logical spelling and I never quite got how it became the "de facto" one the way it did. There's defintely ways to closer match the pun.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:45 am

Adamant wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:29 am There's defintely ways to closer match the pun.
Such as? I can't really imagine how to get much closer to the pun.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:07 am

Adamant wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:29 am and I never quite got how it became the "de facto" one the way it did
(1) Precedence in the Japanese "Tulece" spelling, followed by
(2) We used it on the site, followed by
(3) Steve Simmons used it on the FUNimation DVDs

That's pretty much it.

I can't necessarily speak to all of Julian's thought processes (he's the one who decided on "Tullece" for us back in the Daizenshuu EX days), but for me, yes, the double "ll" is an approximation of elongating something toward the beginning of that spelling while still being in the ballpark. The "tu" instead of a "tar" for the long taa sound there is a very close approximation of common pronunciation/slurring "in our language" making it all sound relatively alike.

(I recognize and take responsibility for that being a goddamn hell of a paragraph that makes absolutely no sense.)

And yes, of course, bringing out the pun source in the spelling. "Tullece" brings out the "lettuce". "Turles" is... nothing.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:18 am

Wasn't Taurus a popular fanlation? That sure was...something
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:19 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:18 am Wasn't Taurus a popular fanlation? That sure was...something
Yes, in wide usage in the fansub days.

One of those "well technically that's a transliteration, sure, but..." kinda things.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:25 am

MyVisionity wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:45 am
Adamant wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:29 am There's defintely ways to closer match the pun.
What you described in this thread is perfect. In my country, the dub had Talles, which along with Taurus, did not resemble any pun. Phonetically, Tullece represents a challenge in some languages, because it reads like tool-ess in mine. Once I learned how English people pronounce their words, Kafla, Vegetto and Geran ceased to be a problem.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:31 pm

I think the Big Green dub called him Turas, for the record.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:13 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:31 pm I think the Big Green dub called him Turas, for the record.
The Speedy dub IIRC called him Tares or something. It's certainly a toss up but the latter two are closer to the original translation that how FUNi translated it.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:51 pm

It's just one of those things that you have to play the balancing game of preserving the pun, preserving the actual name pronunciation (or as close to/adapted as possible), and directly translating.

As pointed out, the pun is based on "lettuce." Phonetically, it's "re-ta-su" or "le-ta-su" in Japanese. Tullece's name is "Taa-re-su" or "Taa-le-su." Now, just make it whatever you want. "Taless," "Tuless," "Talesu," erc. I like "Tullece," double-L and all. Just seems the closest to "lettuce." I guess you could do "Tulece," but it takes away in some way not having a double consonant in there.

"Taurus," "Tarles," "Turles," and all those don't hit the pun. Not "wrong," but kind of totally ignores the name origin. Also, you have all these vegetable puns that translate into the English version as vegetable puns ("Vegeta," "Kakarot," "Broly," "Paragus," all are still vegetable puns in the English version) that it's kind of strange that "Turles" is the exception.

There's also no real rule for what the name has to be, as long as you're happy with it. For example, I never go Ruth "Tarble." I used to go with "Table," but most people would pronounce that as "tay-bel." Then, I started using "Tahble" or "Taable," which I think is much closer to his name than "Tarble." It's all a balance---one that Funimation never seemed interested in doing.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:37 am

Well... "Turlece", like the OP suggests, strikes me as the best approximation.
VegettoEX wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:07 am I can't necessarily speak to all of Julian's thought processes (he's the one who decided on "Tullece" for us back in the Daizenshuu EX days), but for me, yes, the double "ll" is an approximation of elongating something toward the beginning of that spelling while still being in the ballpark. The "tu" instead of a "tar" for the long taa sound there is a very close approximation of common pronunciation/slurring "in our language" making it all sound relatively alike.
The double l just strikes me as a weird way to indicate a long vowel sound. Maybe I'm just completely misinterpreting how a native English speaker would pronounce "Tullece", but to me it looks like it'd be pronounced pretty differently from ターレス.
jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:18 am Wasn't Taurus a popular fanlation? That sure was...something
That was a super ancient one from the days of Doubler and friends. I believe the common spelling at the time Mike and Julian pushed for "Tullece" was "Tales" (which... isn't a whole lot better than Taurus really).

"Tales" is apparently also the spelling Carlsen went with back in the day, which I did not know until now. There's some trivia for ya.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:33 am

Adamant wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:37 am
Turlece would be further away from the pun.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:18 am

For years, I was used to Turles... have no idea when I stumbled upon it, if it was fansubs or whatever.
It was probably based on the japanese pronounciation as "Taaresu".

Tullece makes sense based on the pun, but I guess, you can call the characters however you want, as we try to get as close to the western pronounciation of Japanised names as we can and either adopt the closest or official spellings. So no to Torankusu and Bejita.
In the end, we have a fusion of english Kakarot and Vegeta called Vegeto as it is left as is, instead of Vegerot (but Viz manga has it, was weird at first, but I kinda like it).
Still better than Vega in Polish dub if I remember that right :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:15 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:51 pmThere's also no real rule for what the name has to be, as long as you're happy with it. For example, I never go Ruth "Tarble." I used to go with "Table," but most people would pronounce that as "tay-bel." Then, I started using "Tahble" or "Taable," which I think is much closer to his name than "Tarble." It's all a balance---one that Funimation never seemed interested in doing.
How about Tuble? If you say vegetable very quickly, then the last two syllables sound like that, and it keeps the pun intact through its pronunciation, in spite of its written form, when Vegeta's is easier to associate than Tarble's to the full word.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:49 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:33 am
Adamant wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:37 am

Turlece would be further away from the pun.
...how? It's got the "le", the "tu" and the "ce" from "lettuce" right there, with the double consonant replaced with an r to inducate the now enlongated vowel sound that wasn't part of the source word.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:10 pm

Adamant wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:49 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:33 amTurlece would be further away from the pun.
...how? It's got the "le", the "tu" and the "ce" from "lettuce" right there, with the double consonant replaced with an r to inducate the now enlongated vowel sound that wasn't part of the source word.
Because there's no "r" in lettuce.

I don't see how adding an "r" helps to indicate an elongated vowel sound anymore than a double "l" would; they're both consonants. Why not a double "u"? Add another vowel since it's a vowel sound being elongated: "Tuulece". Though I guess English pronunciation would probably compel one to pronounce that as "two-less", which a second "l" would ameliorate. "Tuullece", then, I guess.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:29 pm

Zephyr wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:10 pm
Adamant wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:49 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:33 amTurlece would be further away from the pun.
Because there's no "r" in lettuce.
There's no ー in レタス either, so...?

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:13 pm

I guess that the thought process behind the double L was to pronounce Tullece like tuh-less akin to "let us" in lettuce. People must have looked at how we spelled dull or null (but not bull and pull) and put it in there. However, I can't find words that end with -lece or -ece in English, so why keep the written pun intact? Edit: I found "spece" (spaz).