Why "Tullece" and not something like "Turlece"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why "Tullece" and not something like "Turlece"?

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:12 pm

Adamant wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:29 pm
Zephyr wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:10 pm
Adamant wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:49 am

...how? It's got the "le", the "tu" and the "ce" from "lettuce" right there, with the double consonant replaced with an r to inducate the now enlongated vowel sound that wasn't part of the source word.
Because there's no "r" in lettuce.
There's no ー in レタス either, so...?
Nobody would look at the word Turles and say "Oh its supposed to be like lettuce!

The double ll in Tullece does the job

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:46 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:12 pm
Zephyr wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:10 pm
Because there's no "r" in lettuce.
Nobody would look at the word Turles and say "Oh its supposed to be like lettuce!

Okay, but we're not talking about "Turles" here, we're talking about "Turlece"?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:09 pm

Adamant wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:46 pm

The same thing applies

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:06 am

Adamant wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:46 pm

The chōonpu (ー) does not signify that there's an R there. For example, I think that you'll agree that "ベジータ" shouldn't be adapted as "Vegerta."

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:25 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:06 am The chōonpu (ー) does not signify that there's an R there. For example, I think that you'll agree that "ベジータ" shouldn't be adapted as "Vegerta."
No offense, but it sounds like you may have a misunderstanding of how elongation and romanizing operates.

Typically a-vowel kana, when elongated, are indeed often romanized using the letter R. This is not the case for i-vowel kana, such as in your bejiita example. That just wouldn't make any sense, phonetically.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:05 pm

There is also no R in “Bejiita”, but there is one in “Retasu/Taaresu”.

So clearly Turles was a way to keep the Japanese pronounciation, but Tullece is actually more pun appropriate name in english.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:50 am

I grew up on Turles & still use it even though Tullece actually gets the pun across. The OP's rationale does make sense though; Turlece looks and sounds alright, "Leturce" instead of "Lettuce" aside.

DiloVortexx
Not-So-Newbie
Location: hehe dromaeosaurids,, (icon drawn by @/FeralWolf1234)

Post by DiloVortexx » Mon May 02, 2022 7:39 am

a point already accentuated by everyone else in the thread but.. yea.. tullece fits the pun of lettuce much more + i also prefer the spelling of it compared to turles bc like.. your honour what the FUCK is a turles JSDFJFHGJDH (if i didnt know any better id misread his name as turtles.. i guess he actually trained under roshi yall /j)

i also like the idea of spelling tarble/table as taable : o so you have vegeta and taable,, i think it fits in well with the naming conventions saiyans have lmao *CASUALLY STARTS USING THAT*
Dilo/Volt/Kareol/Zhadio -- Demiromantic pansexual demiboy (transmasc non-binary; goes by he/him, they/them, xe/xem/xyrs and raptorself pronouns!! to see more of my preferences regarding gender, sexuality and pronouns, click here!

dilo is pronounced dye - low, kareol is pronounced kah - rey - ohl (like bowl) and zhadio is pronounced zah - dee - ohh for those who may have trouble pronouncing my names! ^^")

autistic digital artist who likes drawing creatures and monsters and also they really like dragon ball lol (i may post dragon ball related oc art as well.. cuz i've done that a few times)
since i'm used to the lgbtq+ focused side of the fandom, those are usually the kind of topics youll see me post in if any of those pop up : o bc i have a pretty queer reading of the series ^^"

oh, you don't know what neopronouns are all about? well, have a resource for that!!
want to know how to use tone indicators to help out neurodivergent people to understand your words better? click here!

if you see me randomly type a bunch of letters like SDHFJFJGHD, thats just a thing in the lgbtq+ community called keysmashing which is usually used to show someone is laughing (either nervously or bluntly and so on and so forth)
if you need any help learning about lgbtq+ terms and such, feel free to ask! i will try my best to help out ^^

goten and trunks are gay and trans ♥