Does the lack of diversity in sub and dub bother you?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: Does the lack of diversity in sub and dub bother you?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:17 am

once i noticed pretty much every hank azaria character sounded the same, and that most of the characters he voices just kind of suck and aren't funny, i could never look at post s3 simpsons the same.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:53 am

90sDBZ wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:54 pm The Simpsons is (or was) one of the most iconic shows of all time, but even it has a relatively small cast with several characters sounding similar. Moe and Chief Wiggum sound almost exactly the same, and Willie sounds like a Scottish Homer. It doesn't bother me, and doesn't seem to bother anyone else who watched the show. Perhaps cartoons that are primarily comedies don't get judged in the same way.
Folks judge American cartoons differently than they do anime and anime dubs. Hence what I call "anime senses". If you turn them off, some older dubs are more enjoyable.

shomangaka

Post by shomangaka » Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:11 pm

My favorite aspect of the sub is that Nozawa voices the Son Goku and his sons. I don't watch the English dub regularly, but if I remember correctly the VA for kid Trunks voiced kid Vegeta in Kai, I thought that was a good decision too. The same with Pan and Videl; they have the same japanese VA.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:51 pm

shomangaka wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:11 pm My favorite aspect of the sub is that Nozawa voices the Son Goku and his sons. I don't watch the English dub regularly, but if I remember correctly the VA for kid Trunks voiced kid Vegeta in Kai, I thought that was a good decision too. The same with Pan and Videl; they have the same japanese VA.
I believe Chris Sabat voiced kid Vegeta who sounded about as much as a kid as I'd expect a middle-aged man to.

At the very least he definitely did in Z and the Super Broli movie

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:50 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:51 pm
shomangaka wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:11 pm My favorite aspect of the sub is that Nozawa voices the Son Goku and his sons. I don't watch the English dub regularly, but if I remember correctly the VA for kid Trunks voiced kid Vegeta in Kai, I thought that was a good decision too. The same with Pan and Videl; they have the same japanese VA.
I believe Chris Sabat voiced kid Vegeta who sounded about as much as a kid as I'd expect a middle-aged man to.

At the very least he definitely did in Z and the Super Broli movie
I know sabat voiced kid vegeta in z and the broly movie, but in episode 45 of kai. Laura Bailey did indeed voice Vegeta. Though who voiced him in episode 6 of super?
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:58 am

It doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't mind some more roles being delegated

Asin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Asin » Wed May 04, 2022 12:05 pm

I'm not really bothered by the idea of VAs doing multiple characters in the sub or dub, no. Most of the time, the characters sound pretty distinct, with one of the exceptions being Nozawa as Goku and Buu era/actual teen Gohan, and the only thing that differentiates them to me is vocal tone and manner of speech, and manner of speech I can only derive from subs. Although, one could make the same argument for Kid Goku and Goten...