Any FUNi dubisms you still find yourself saying from time to time?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Any FUNi dubisms you still find yourself saying from time to time?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:57 pm

The General name thing was a carryover from the Harmony Gold dub of Mystical Adventure from back in 1989/1990, and FUNi ended up using that before changing it the closer but not quite Mercenary name.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:35 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:57 pm The General name thing was a carryover from the Harmony Gold dub of Mystical Adventure from back in 1989/1990, and FUNi ended up using that before changing it the closer but not quite Mercenary name.
There's another weird carryover from Mystical Adventure were the Season 3 Funimation Z dub referred to Chiaotzu as "the young emperor". It's understandable given the fact they skipped most of DB when dubbing Z, and that movie was their earliest point of reference for those characters. I guess they had no idea it was non-canon to the main story.

The funny thing is these mistakes persisted. The Madman DB Saga sets contained character profiles, and would repeatedly refer to Chiaotzu as an emperor and Tien as his bodyguard, which makes absolutely no sense in the context of the main story.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:02 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:35 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:57 pm The General name thing was a carryover from the Harmony Gold dub of Mystical Adventure from back in 1989/1990, and FUNi ended up using that before changing it the closer but not quite Mercenary name.
There's another weird carryover from Mystical Adventure were the Season 3 Funimation Z dub referred to Chiaotzu as "the young emperor". It's understandable given the fact they skipped most of DB when dubbing Z, and that movie was their earliest point of reference for those characters. I guess they had no idea it was non-canon to the main story.

The funny thing is these mistakes persisted. The Madman DB Saga sets contained character profiles, and would repeatedly refer to Chiaotzu as an emperor and Tien as his bodyguard, which makes absolutely no sense in the context of the main story.
They also tried to frame Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle as a follow up to the Saga of Goku episodes with Yamcha referring to Goku's Great Ape transformation has having happened before.

Emperor Chaozu never bothered me that much because...there's nothing saying he couldn't be one.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:21 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:35 pm

There were also other various translated names and terms from said dub that Harmony Gold came up with at the time which carried over to FUNi's version later and persist to this very day, like Master Roshi, Power Pole and Flying Nimbus. Yes it blows my mind that these aforementioned things which were created for that short run dub back in 1989 have been THE default English names ever since.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:00 pm

Honestly, I still use a lot of dubisms just because outside of this website, most people aren't going to know what the heck I'm talking about otherwise.

That said, I've never used FUNimation's pronunciation of "Bulma" because... well, I don't know honestly--I think when I was a kid, my brain just considered that "uh" sound part of the accent and autocorrected it to a short "ooh" sound that's closer to the Japanese.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:10 am

i've always wondered why funi went with Shenron as opposed to Shen-Long. from what i understand, Funi actually seemed to have a decent grasp on the Chinese names and translated them mostly properly, and better then Viz and Simmons in the case of Chiaotzu (even if, as a kid i definitely thought that "i" was a Freeza type thing), and Shenron, as i understand, isn't that much different then calling Cell, "Seru". of all the funi terms, it's the one that perplexes me the most and i find it kind of bizzare they still use it and a lot of fans do as well, especially being Shen-Long, well not super well known, isn't some obscure Chinese word, it popped up a few times in media that came over to the west, and a decent amount of people know what the word Long means in Chinese.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:35 am

I use Korin as "Karin" is a very common name with many characters with that name.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:34 am

I keep calling Kinto'un the Nimbus Cloud, sometimes the ROSAT as the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, & Z-Fighters or Dragon Warriors

Plus, Turles, Shenron, Bulma, Krillin, Bardock, Saiyan/"Say-yan", and most of the technique names (Spirit Bomb, Destructo Disc, Special Beam Cannon, Galick Gun, Tri-Beam, Solar Flare, Instant Transmission, etc)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:03 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:10 am i've always wondered why funi went with Shenron as opposed to Shen-Long. from what i understand, Funi actually seemed to have a decent grasp on the Chinese names and translated them mostly properly, and better then Viz and Simmons in the case of Chiaotzu (even if, as a kid i definitely thought that "i" was a Freeza type thing), and Shenron, as i understand, isn't that much different then calling Cell, "Seru". of all the funi terms, it's the one that perplexes me the most and i find it kind of bizzare they still use it and a lot of fans do as well, especially being Shen-Long, well not super well known, isn't some obscure Chinese word, it popped up a few times in media that came over to the west, and a decent amount of people know what the word Long means in Chinese.
They also seemed aware that Shen Long is supposed to mean Dragon God in Chinese since Eternal Dragon seems to be their inoffensive version of that and they only used Eternal Dragon for a good 4 years before ever uttering Shenron iirc.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:09 am

nice topic, it escalated quickly but nice topic

Leaving the pronunciation of names behid.... As others have stated, I also say "Saiyan" infact I say it as when I say : That is what I am "saying" but in reality pronouncing it as Saiyan you know what i mean right? hope so.

And another one I say often is "GOAN" XDDD theY way the pronounce it in english is so funny. Everytime I eat cook rice I say "i am making goan" that is at least once a week lol

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:22 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:41 pm also "krillin" is bad anyway because it just totally destroys the pun, unless you want to argue that they tried to go with a krill pun, which i kind of doubt and isn't really a equivalent to his actually pun's orgins.
Then let's call him Nutchestin.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:49 pm

I also end up using Pikkon and the Shadow Dragon names like Omega Shenron moreso than their original names

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:38 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:22 am
Then let's call him Nutchestin.
i can't tell if this is a serious, or a gotcha at my expense, because that's not what i was saying.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:15 pm

I don't think Funi wanted to include any Chinese-sounding stuff in their version if at all possible. Either translate it or change it. So no Shenlong or anything like that. "Shenron", in the manner that they speak it, is an easy fix, if they don't want to say Eternal Dragon. Especially for mouth flaps and for later years post-Porunga when they want to distinguish.

Asin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Asin » Wed May 04, 2022 11:47 am

Dubisms I still use:

*Bulma instead of Blooma, Bloomers, Buruma, etc.
*Krillin instead of Kuririn (I do agree with the point brought up earlier that Krillin is more natural sounding to English speakers)
*Shenron instead of Shenlong
*Shadow Dragons instead of Evil Dragons (I also use the dub names, as in Eis Shenron, Nuova Shenron, Omega Shenron, etc. I find it harder to remember stuff like Yi Xing Long and the other chinese based name variants)
*Most attack names (I alternate from Spirit Bomb to Genki Dama sometimes, but have found myself leaning more towards Genki Dama)
*Buu instead of Boo (also kinda alternate between Kid Buu and Pure Buu, although Pure Buu is what I prefer, and Kid Buu is for people who wouldn't get what I'm talking about)
*I cannot tell much of a difference between GO-ku and Go-KU, pronounciation wise. It's just "Goku" to me. Is the "U" part meant to be slightly elongated?
*I also find myself using Android for the Artificial Humans as a whole, but that's in particular a can of worms considering you kinda can't call them what they actually are without the model numbers not making sense anymore. Like saying Cyborgs 17, 18, and 20 and Androids 16 and 19 would imply they aren't from the same line, but you can't call 16 and 19 cyborgs because they never were human, and so on. Might as well just stick with model numbers or go with Artificial Humans. Or just Androids if I keep forgetting to change that.

King Bogo

Post by King Bogo » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:52 pm

Too bad it's Sunday those buildings would've been filled up tomorrow

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:27 pm

I keep trying to type "Frieza" but I stop halfway and correct it to Freeza. I really hate it, I dont know why I never grew up with any english dub,
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

taikufuru

Post by taikufuru » Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:47 pm

It's not a FUNi dub, but in Brazil, we call Kame-Sennin "Mestre Kame", which would be something like Master Kame in English.

Lately, I've been trying to keep the title in the original language, without the need to try to translate it. But it's difficult... It's been twenty years of pronouncing "Master Kame"! 😂

Videl (Vi-DEL) and Satan (Sa-TAN, not SAY-tan) are also difficult to change.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:06 pm

taikufuru wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:47 pm It's not a FUNi dub, but in Brazil, we call Kame-Sennin "Mestre Kame", which would be something like Master Kame in English.

Lately, I've been trying to keep the title in the original language, without the need to try to translate it. But it's difficult... It's been twenty years of pronouncing "Master Kame"! 😂

Videl (Vi-DEL) and Satan (Sa-TAN, not SAY-tan) are also difficult to change.
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh... you DO know those are actually correct do you? I dont know about Videl but Mestre Kame (I know its Turtle Hermit but this is still close) is correct and so is SaTAN. Saytan is the Funi Dubism.

Also we need a thread for general dubisms. Luckily I had one and could contribute, but not everyone is familiar with Funimation.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

taikufuru

Post by taikufuru » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:41 am

Well, I often hear English speakers pronouncing the names a little differently than I hear them when watching the series in the original language.

Is this a particularity of the English language when pronouncing Japanese names? Because I hear the characters pronouncing their names with the strongest last syllable.

Kaiō, which has the strongest last syllable in Japanese pronunciation, is pronounced as Kaio, which has the strongest first syllable.

The same thing can be said of Mr. Satan and "Sen'nin".

I'm confused. :crazy: