japanese version of dbz with original colors

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kostilaks

japanese version of dbz with original colors

Post by Kostilaks » Wed May 04, 2022 11:02 am

there a few episodes of them that were broadcast around 2014.

i really like them because they have the original colors.

Asin
Not-So-Newbie

Re: japanese version of dbz with original colors

Post by Asin » Thu May 05, 2022 12:54 am

Kostilaks wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:02 am there a few episodes of them that were broadcast around 2014.

i really like them because they have the original colors.
...Okay, and?
Do you know where to find them or something?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: japanese version of dbz with original colors

Post by Robo4900 » Thu May 05, 2022 11:20 am

The Japanese TV broadcasts?

They're not the original colours, they're basically untouched release prints from the original run that Fuji transferred to tape at some point, a while after they'd had some time to deteriorate (possibly during the '90s, possibly the early '00s, I'm not entirely sure). The transfer is arguably better than the Dragon Boxes since they're much more consistent in quality and they don't have the black/white crushing, and the picture frame is bigger (sorta similar to the Level sets), but I've never seen a complete run of recordings of it, and the colours are pretty fucked up; very tinted, very washed out. Slightly worse than DBox in the colours department, if you ask me, even if I prefer them in most other respects.

Image courtesy of... Kei17, I think? "Broadcast reel" is a bit of a misnomer, "broadcast tape" or more generically "broadcast master" would be more accurate, since it's from a tape, albeit transferred from film. (I think Fuji disposed of their film after doing these transfers)

I don't have an image to hand, but it's also been pointed out to me in the past that the closing credits in the Boo arc on the Dragon Box are so badly blown-out at the top end, the white writing of the credits is very difficult to make out, a lot of the kanji totally indistinct, whereas this Fuji master has no such problem, all the kanji are clear to see.

Before anyone pipes up asking: DB and GT don't use a similar type of master, instead they basically use the Dragon Box masters. Except it's the same pre-DBox version of the transfer that was on Funimation's DVD singles of GT back in the day, so it's the same but with some film damage and a bit less DNR.
I once saw a screenshot of a DB broadcast from about 2003 that used a different master, but the picture quality was terrible. Probably a very bad transfer. I may have been sent a copy of an episode too, I can't actually remember, but if I did, I didn't keep it, because of how poor it is.

Personally, I'd love to watch DBZ from these masters someday. Do a little bit of adjusting to the colours and you have a really nice master. I wish it was a bit grainier, but that isn't a dealbreaker since the DNR wasn't noticeably destructive. It has a look somewhat reminiscent of Funimation's original transfer seen on the old DVD singles and the like.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.