Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:06 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:23 pm
GTx10 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:05 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:30 pm

I haven't seen anyone read 'rapey' undertones to the described scene but there is sexual harassment if the described scene is to be believed. A male character voiced by a male written by a male for a child audiences in a film directed by a male telling a female character that she can stay on his planet because she is cute and will make a good wife someday is pretty clear sexual harassment.

How? By your logic if I tell a woman "Hey you're cute. You will make a good wife one day." That is sexual harassment? Get the heck out of here! That is foolishness.
That is a comment mixed with a undertone of flirting at best. If that is all Beerus does then he did nothing wrong. If he holds her down against her will and rapes her then we got an issue. But saying she is cute is just that, a comment bro.
DB has said and shown far worse so this alleged scene is child's play at best. Also some young boys do think Chilai is cute and have their normal boy fantasies at that age. It's normal stuff.
Because, again, it smacks of casual misogyny for a man to say that to someone, especially right out of the blue.

Toriyama could just not write dialogue like this. The production crew of the movie could just not include this dialogue in the movie. Shueisha could insist on more appropriate dialogue for the movie. But they don't, hence the criticism.
Isn't misogyny hatred of women? It sounds like Beerus likes her.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:48 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:11 am
Dragmobot12 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:22 pm I'm really concerned about how this movie might be received, okay, maybe the critics will give it a high score, mostly because of how beautiful and progressive the CGI animation has gotten in this movie. But the audience, well, most of the fans that is, can totally destroy it, starting from the fact that Goku and Vegeta are reduced to mere cameos, to the roles of Gohan and Piccolo being poorly written or imposed, to the fact that the most beloved villain is treated like crap and turned into an obese creature and so on...

Well, the Japanese might eat it up, since they usually don't care, but as far as for the English viewers, this could seriously devide the fandom even more.

They even started making this stuff, lol.
Damn the rotten tomatoes audience score is almost as bad as Evolution (like i predicted :mrgreen: ) :D
How can there be scores when the movie hasn't come out yet? Doesn't make sense. And we've seen Goku and Vegeta being front and center for so many years, this is a breath of fresh air.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:03 pm

So it's really the good old Gohan is becoming gull nerd again.

He is useless and will never learn.

Goku gave give life and entrusted him post Cell. Boom fucked up

After he fucked up against Buu again with Ultimate he still hasn't learned... See RoF and BoG

And even after a god damn survival tournament he went back to nerd shit

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:06 pm

Japanese fans are more important then the rest of the world, they were the ones who made Toriyama the richest man in Japan because of Dr Slump, so for the people that says "he owes us", no he do not, because you wouldn't know who he was if it wasn't for Dragon Ball. Toriyama only needs to care about the japanese fans.

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:23 pm

Soba Mask wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:03 pm So it's really the good old Gohan is becoming gull nerd again.

He is useless and will never learn.

Goku gave give life and entrusted him post Cell. Boom fucked up

After he fucked up against Buu again with Ultimate he still hasn't learned... See RoF and BoG

And even after a god damn survival tournament he went back to nerd shit

Because these are his normal clothes?

After all, he's not going to walk to work, the store, home or any other public place.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:28 pm

The more clips I'm seeing from the movie, the more I like the animation. If they bring back the TV series, I hope they use this style, it would be nice to get consistent character models / art work from episode to episode, instead of one good looking episode followed by 5 bad ones.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:46 pm

I spy some rotating camera work in the new TV spot. :D
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:06 am

How? By your logic if I tell a woman "Hey you're cute. You will make a good wife one day." That is sexual harassment? Get the heck out of here! That is foolishness.
That is a comment mixed with a undertone of flirting at best. If that is all Beerus does then he did nothing wrong. If he holds her down against her will and rapes her then we got an issue. But saying she is cute is just that, a comment bro.
DB has said and shown far worse so this alleged scene is child's play at best. Also some young boys do think Chilai is cute and have their normal boy fantasies at that age. It's normal stuff.
Because, again, it smacks of casual misogyny for a man to say that to someone, especially right out of the blue.

Toriyama could just not write dialogue like this. The production crew of the movie could just not include this dialogue in the movie. Shueisha could insist on more appropriate dialogue for the movie. But they don't, hence the criticism.
Wrong people often think that they're right.

Also, the issue is with Toriyama not punishing Beers for saying creeper shit like "you'll make a fine wife someday!"
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:08 pm

Misogyny is not simply "I hate women and want nothing to do with them"; it is essentially the idea that women are inherently inferior to men, which can entail regarding women as objects or that women should always revolve around men. Telling any random woman you see that they are "cute" or "hot" is incredibly rude and objectifying, for example.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:51 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:08 pm

Misogyny is not simply "I hate women and want nothing to do with them"; it is essentially the idea that women are inherently inferior to men, which can entail regarding women as objects or that women should always revolve around men. Telling any random woman you see that they are "cute" or "hot" is incredibly rude and objectifying, for example.
You'd have to read an awful lot into "you're cute" to interpret it as objectifying. Just because you think someone is cute doesn't mean you must also think that's their only value, that's silly. I get told I'm cute or hot all the time and I don't interpret it that way at all.

I feel like this is veering off topic though. We don't know the full context of Beerus' comment, we don't know how long the two characters have known each other and what kind of realtionship they have, we don't even know if he really says the line, so we probably shouldn't assume so much about it.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:44 pm

I think the film will do fine. Even the casual auddience enjoy RoF despite the hardcore fans having mixed feelings for it. It's still nice to have Gohan be the main hero in a movie because he hasn't been a leading role character since DBZ Movie 10. It will also be the first time that he has defeated a major villain without Goku's help since DBZ Movie 10 as well (I don't believe Goku was actually there during the end of the film).
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:12 pm

It's a small gripe, but it kind of bums me out we haven't gotten a theme song for the movie (yet, at least). I love getting new tracks to listen to and the trailers that feature them always hype me up.

That said some of these shots are look great. They've really touched up the CGI.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:07 pm

I've sort of been trying to hold my peace on this, but I'm getting a bit tired of seeing the fanbase trash Gohan for 'being a nerd'. I'm not saying he shouldn't keep in shape more often (Lord KNOWS he really needs to, with how Earth attracts so many deadly individuals), but we need to remember he's NOT Goku.

Again, not saying he should constantly rely on Goku and Vegeta to handle every single mess that Earth gets caught up in, but I don't exactly see him dropping his job to become a 'battle junkie' like his dad anytime soon.

In fact, I'm actually glad that we finally know what exactly he's been studying for all of this time. Hey, if people are cool with Goku loving to train/battle, I'd think we'd give Gohan a pass after all of the crap he's endured over the last 20+ years of his life.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:00 pm

I've largely stayed neutral on the movie, besides showing utter bafflement over how much people can' hate a movie they haven't seen yet, but good lord those previews actually make me excited for the movie. I love using 3d to replicate a manga-like look, and it really pops in those fight scenes. So yeah, definitely down to see this when it hits western theaters.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:17 pm

Also another thing people seem to be forgetting is at Toriyama is an old man from the 80s. Toriyama is the kind of man who probably still giggles at panties related jokes. So it wouldn't surprise me if this alleged piece of dialogue which by the way we don't have the full context of was probably written by him. Also at the end of the day even if what this alleged content is Indy true in my opinion, is not sexual harassment
I would bet most fans are bothered by this alleged piece of dialogue simply because Lord beerus It's flirting with a Broly's quote-unquote woman. I bet you that's got the fans more riled up than the actual comment itself which again is not all that bad.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:30 pm

GTx10 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:17 pm Also another thing people seem to be forgetting is at Toriyama is an old man from the 80s. Toriyama is the kind of man who probably still giggles at panties related jokes. So it wouldn't surprise me if this alleged piece of dialogue which by the way we don't have the full context of was probably written by him. Also at the end of the day even if what this alleged content is Indy true in my opinion, is not sexual harassment
I would bet most fans are bothered by this alleged piece of dialogue simply because Lord beerus It's flirting with a Broly's quote-unquote woman. I bet you that's got the fans more riled up than the actual comment itself which again is not all that bad.
You don't need to make up shit when you can just read the actual criticism of the actual woman calling this content bad and saying that there is zero excuses for this behavior no matter the year.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:03 pm

Man this movie already shows how much of a hack AT is these days
Can't blame him when you have folks willing to eat whatever crap you throw at em why actually try lol
Gohan slacked for the #364884674 but this time he's neglecting his family oh how great like father like son

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:14 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:07 pm I've sort of been trying to hold my peace on this, but I'm getting a bit tired of seeing the fanbase trash Gohan for 'being a nerd'. I'm not saying he shouldn't keep in shape more often (Lord KNOWS he really needs to, with how Earth attracts so many deadly individuals), but we need to remember he's NOT Goku.

Again, not saying he should constantly rely on Goku and Vegeta to handle every single mess that Earth gets caught up in, but I don't exactly see him dropping his job to become a 'battle junkie' like his dad anytime soon.

In fact, I'm actually glad that we finally know what exactly he's been studying for all of this time. Hey, if people are cool with Goku loving to train/battle, I'd think we'd give Gohan a pass after all of the crap he's endured over the last 20+ years of his life.
I've felt similarly and I actually made a thread about this topic awhile back. I think Gohan's personality and role in DBZ has been severely misunderstood and mischaracterized by a lot of DB fans and commentators.

Sometimes this comes from a place of identifying with him, or simply liking him and wanting to see him "succeed". This is understandable but it ignores some important stuff... for instance, Gohan IS succeeding in the parts of his life that he cares about, just not in combat, because he's not a "battle junkie" like Goku or Vegeta (or Pan!).

You're probably right that he SHOULD train but part of the way DB manages to be fun and wild is because its characters VERY RARELY do the things they "should" do.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:23 pm

You know, this development they are aiming for between Piccolo and Pan is interesting when you are reminded of Dragon Ball GT.

After Piccolo died, we only saw Gohan deeply affected by it, I don't even remember if we saw Pan's reaction, and they never had this bond. If they continue to go down this road, if Piccolo were to ever die, they would probably focus on Videl and Pan sadness too.

I find this to be very interesting, and it was only possible due to the existence of multiple dimensions with different developments. Hopefully we continue to see not only more but other kinds of details and differences between those series (though that would mean I would have to rewatch Dragon Ball GT, I can barely remember anything).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:10 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:08 pm

Japanese people do not follow the American PC trend of the last decade or so. Sometimes it's a good thing. I, for the sake of honesty, didn't like the scene of Beerus being a shameless chaser who opts to have something/affair with someone's lover.

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:09 am

Man says to woman: "you're cute, you can stay on the planet"
Misoginy ? where ?
I can call Beerus a misandrist too because he hates Goku and Vegeta hanging around if they don't bring him food, which assume that men are expected to always provide something to prove their worth ? See ? It's easy to reach if we want to :yawn:
This is just basic interaction from basic sexual attraction.
Let's keep "misoginy" for what it actually means, please.