Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by DestructoDisc » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:07 am

Yuji wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:55 am
DestructoDisc wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:58 am So now Gohan isn't only a slacker who makes the same mistake all the time and goes through the same story for years now, he's also a bad father, who thinks reading books about insects is more important then picking up his 3 YEARS OLD daughter from kindergarten. His wife literally begs GOD to look after her kid because she knows her husband is a lost cause. I don't give a crap if he will change by the end of movie, of course he will change, it's predictable as hell, but the fact that it happened in general is what angers me. For all this time Gohan was known to be a great father and husband, but nope we gotta ruin that too about his character. Now the only good father and husband out of all the Z fighters is Krillin. Way to go Gohan.
No character in the series is a bad father outside of pre-Boo arc Vegeta. Fathers aren't flawless and they have jobs.
A good father doesn't stay at home reading books about insects instead of going after his 3 year old daughter who's all alone in the kindergarten. I repeat, THREE YEAR OLD. He has super powers, he can bring her home in just a second,. There's no excuse here, he's a shit father.

Goku literally cares more about training than spending time with his kids. Just because they don't outright kill them or not care in case they get injured like pre-Boo arc Vegeta did, doesn't make them good fathers.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:40 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:44 pm I think the film will do fine. Even the casual auddience enjoy RoF despite the hardcore fans having mixed feelings for it. It's still nice to have Gohan be the main hero in a movie because he hasn't been a leading role character since DBZ Movie 10. It will also be the first time that he has defeated a major villain without Goku's help since DBZ Movie 10 as well (I don't believe Goku was actually there during the end of the film).
Res F released at a time where there wasnt much competition in the anime space as there is nowadays. which is why it did well. In regards to the harcores usually they were always going to be there. The hardcores used to be the people who carried your franchise through the dark times(2021/2022) and now that they've alienated so many of the hardcores with terrible retcons & writing decisions and now you are relying on the casual consumer who is fickle as hell.
Block88 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:03 pm Man this movie already shows how much of a hack AT is these days
Can't blame him when you have folks willing to eat whatever crap you throw at em why actually try lol
Gohan slacked for the #364884674 but this time he's neglecting his family oh how great like father like son
AT is getting away with highway robbery at Toei like if i was an exec i wouldnt pay a one red cent for this crap script yet they are spending time and millions on awful script. I doubt folks are gonna eat this up this time tho this isnt 2018 anymore. The masses no longer care about Dragonball it has simply run out of creative steam and needs to be shelved badly. Preferably until the old ass geezers in charge of this franchise either resign/leave and someone with actual talent in modern storytelling & writing steps in to be the real Superhero (pun intended).
Last edited by ObnoxiousNamek on Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:51 am

DestructoDisc wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:07 am
DestructoDisc wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:58 am So now Gohan isn't only a slacker who makes the same mistake all the time and goes through the same story for years now, he's also a bad father, who thinks reading books about insects is more important then picking up his 3 YEARS OLD daughter from kindergarten. His wife literally begs GOD to look after her kid because she knows her husband is a lost cause. I don't give a crap if he will change by the end of movie, of course he will change, it's predictable as hell, but the fact that it happened in general is what angers me. For all this time Gohan was known to be a great father and husband, but nope we gotta ruin that too about his character. Now the only good father and husband out of all the Z fighters is Krillin. Way to go Gohan.
No character in the series is a bad father outside of pre-Boo arc Vegeta. Fathers aren't flawless and they have jobs.
A good father doesn't stay at home reading books about insects instead of going after his 3 year old daughter who's all alone in the kindergarten. I repeat, THREE YEAR OLD. He has super powers, he can bring her home in just a second,. There's no excuse here, he's a shit father.

Goku literally cares more about training than spending time with his kids. Just because they don't outright kill them or not care in case they get injured like pre-Boo arc Vegeta did, doesn't make them good fathers.
Pan has two parents. Gohan has an established busy job that he needs time to attend to. Videl, as far as we know, is a stay at home mom. I'm not sure how the blame lies on Gohan for this one.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:16 am

Yuji wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:51 am Videl, as far as we know, is a stay at home mom. I'm not sure how the blame lies on Gohan for this one.
Minor spoilers:

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:22 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:40 amRes F released at a time where there wasnt much competition in the anime space as there is nowadays. which is why it did well. In regards to the harcores usually they were always going to be there the hardcores used to be the people who carried your franchises through the dark times(2021/2022) and now that they've alienated so many of the hardcores with terrible retcons & writing decisions and now you're relying on the casual consumer who is fickle as hell.
I'm still excited for Super Hero especially after all this new scenes and more than I ever was for RoF. I didn't have huge expectations for Broly but I had fun and enjoyed the action. I don't know about hardcore fans carrying the franchise though. The audience they care about is the one paying the most to support the franchise officially. They probably wouldn't care too much about an older fan like me whose only contribution is reading the manga officially on Mangaplus but buys little to no merchandise or games.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:49 am

omaro34 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:14 am Cute little scene from the movie: https://youtu.be/48qpf4H8ZO4
Looks like the animation is going the extra mile and ditching simple mouth-flaps, pay attention to Piccolo pronouncing his lines. This will make dubs more challenging for sure because then it's like dubbing a live action Japanese film. Never the less it's a nice addition of detail.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:00 am

Yuji wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:51 am

Pan has two parents. Gohan has an established busy job that he needs time to attend to. Videl, as far as we know, is a stay at home mom. I'm not sure how the blame lies on Gohan for this one.
As it was said above, Videl is at work so she couldn't go. Gohan isn't at work, he's just studying insects, which he can do any other time of the day as well. Plus as I said he has this thing called super power. He's fast enough to go pick up Pan and go back to his studies in like, 10 seconds. But he doesn't do that because he's more interested in insects. That's shit parenting and doesn't do anything but make Gohan look terrible.

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:16 am

DestructoDisc wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:00 am

As it was said above, Videl is at work so she couldn't go. Gohan isn't at work, he's just studying insects, which he can do any other time of the day as well. Plus as I said he has this thing called super power. He's fast enough to go pick up Pan and go back to his studies in like, 10 seconds. But he doesn't do that because he's more interested in insects. That's shit parenting and doesn't do anything but make Gohan look terrible.
Study insect is litteraly part of his Job. It's not a hobby, it's is JOB. I don't know how people can nitpicking on something so minor, seriously ...
I know DB fan are known for being never satisified, but it's irritating

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:19 am

Videl doesn't look different, I was hoping for a redesign, but oh well. But the short hair is there, of course. Guess that's the only hairstyle for a woman.

I know Gohan's studies/mess with books will only be useful in a few years time, but it would be cool if they had used this opportunity to make a reference to the usage of Ki instead of insects. "Oh well" to that too, I guess.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:24 am

DestructoDisc wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:00 am

Gohan knew that Piccolo would get her, if he didn't, he would have gotten her himself.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:52 am

According to DBS Hype...
#SuperHeroSpoilers Context Time!
In this scene we’ll see Bulma make one of the wishes to Shenron, which is to: Firm her bottom up a little, literally lol😆
Making a plot point "Blooma wishes for a thicc ass" in a kid's movie is not a great look, Toriyama. Jesus Christ.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:18 pm

MeMeDZEHH wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:16 am Study insect is litteraly part of his Job. It's not a hobby, it's is JOB. I don't know how people can nitpicking on something so minor, seriously ...
He's at home, and he's got super speed. He can sacrifice 10 seconds of his job to pick up his THREE YEAR OLD daughter. It's not like he has to study for 8 hours straights, breaks exist.
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:24 am Gohan knew that Piccolo would get her, if he didn't, he would have gotten her himself.
Did he talk with Piccolo beforehand about this? No. So it's still shit parenting if he relies on his instincts. Pan is only 3 year old, kids of that age need to be looked after all the time. He could've easily sacrificed 10 seconds of his stidying to make sure his daughter who just recently learned how to talk and walk is safely at home with him. I admit, the fact that knew Piccolo will pick her off makes him look a little better than I thought, but he still comes off as a bad father.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:26 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:52 am According to DBS Hype...
In this scene we’ll see Bulma make one of the wishes to Shenron, which is to: Firm her bottom up a little, literally lol😆
Making a plot point "Blooma wishes for a thicc ass" in a kid's movie is not a great look, Toriyama. Jesus Christ.
Bulma being vain isn't newsworthy.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:30 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:18 pm
MeMeDZEHH wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:16 am Study insect is litteraly part of his Job. It's not a hobby, it's is JOB. I don't know how people can nitpicking on something so minor, seriously ...
He's at home, and he's got super speed. He can sacrifice 10 seconds of his job to pick up his THREE YEAR OLD daughter. It's not like he has to study for 8 hours straights, breaks exist.
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:24 am Gohan knew that Piccolo would get her, if he didn't, he would have gotten her himself.
Did he talk with Piccolo beforehand about this? No. So it's still shit parenting if he relies on his instincts. Pan is only 3 year old, kids of that age need to be looked after all the time. He could've easily sacrificed 10 seconds of his stidying to make sure his daughter who just recently learned how to talk and walk is safely at home with him. I admit, the fact that knew Piccolo will pick her off makes him look a little better than I thought, but he still comes off as a bad father.
It looks like in the trailer she beats up some RR soldiers and can fly, so she is not really a normal 3 year old lol.

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:42 pm

Toriyama: Let us tell a new Gohan story

TOEI: Yeah finally!!!

Toriyama: Gohan lost all his power because he hasn't trained and just studied... But something will happen and he will regain his strength!

TOEI: But we had this story 2 times already...

Toriyama: Damn I forgot... So let him make a shit dad in top and fight and ugly Cell with his newest form Ultimate!

TOEI: OK....

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:45 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:14 pm
dragonballhero wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:07 pm I've sort of been trying to hold my peace on this, but I'm getting a bit tired of seeing the fanbase trash Gohan for 'being a nerd'. I'm not saying he shouldn't keep in shape more often (Lord KNOWS he really needs to, with how Earth attracts so many deadly individuals), but we need to remember he's NOT Goku.

Again, not saying he should constantly rely on Goku and Vegeta to handle every single mess that Earth gets caught up in, but I don't exactly see him dropping his job to become a 'battle junkie' like his dad anytime soon.

In fact, I'm actually glad that we finally know what exactly he's been studying for all of this time. Hey, if people are cool with Goku loving to train/battle, I'd think we'd give Gohan a pass after all of the crap he's endured over the last 20+ years of his life.
I've felt similarly and I actually made a thread about this topic awhile back. I think Gohan's personality and role in DBZ has been severely misunderstood and mischaracterized by a lot of DB fans and commentators.

Sometimes this comes from a place of identifying with him, or simply liking him and wanting to see him "succeed". This is understandable but it ignores some important stuff... for instance, Gohan IS succeeding in the parts of his life that he cares about, just not in combat, because he's not a "battle junkie" like Goku or Vegeta (or Pan!).

You're probably right that he SHOULD train but part of the way DB manages to be fun and wild is because its characters VERY RARELY do the things they "should" do.
THANK YOU. Honestly, I'm one of those folks who feel as though Gohan really does NOT work as the main character for DB. Not because I hate him (he's one of my favorite characters, in fact), but he doesn't have the drive/personality needed for a series like Dragon Ball. It's one of the things I disliked about the early Majin Buu arc, with how different the series' feel became. I love the Great Saiyaman and all, but after the spectacle that was the Cell Games, that was WAY too jarring of a shift for me.

Now I'm talking about it, one thing I REALLY hope doesn't happen in this movie (going by the leaks and movie promos we've seen over the last few days) is that Pan becomes some bratty kid who thinks that Gohan isn't anything special just because he prefers to study rather than train constantly. I swear if that happens... I don't care how good this movie will make Pan out to be, it'll immediately sour my outlook on this new take on Pan going forward.

If I'm being honest, I always figured that the very MOMENT Gohan starts taking training seriously (like, to 'Goku and Vegeta levels'), Dragon Ball's plot is going to be near-pointless most of the time, as he would probably wrap up any and all plot points in the span of 2-3 episodes/chapters. Maybe I'm giving him a bit too much credit, but you DO see the point I'm trying to make, right?

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:46 pm

Has it even been confirmed that Gohan lost any power or is it just conjecture because he's... Doing his job? We see him walking around with weighted clothing. Doesn't seem like he would do that casually for no reason.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:49 pm

Yuji wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:26 pm
Toriyama choosing to continually sexualize and degrade his female characters in works aimed at a general audience is the issue. This isn't an R18 work where blatant objectification and humiliation is the appeal, it's a dumb kid's movie meant to be watched by families. There are better ways to depict your female characters than explicitly drawing attention to a writer's sexual fetishes as part of the plot.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:54 pm

Bulma really is becoming the answer to "What if these weird, vain middle-aged rich folks had access to magic?" :lol:
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:56 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:49 pm
Yuji wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:26 pm

Toriyama choosing to continually sexualize and degrade his female characters in works aimed at a general audience is the issue. This isn't an R18 work where blatant objectification and humiliation is the appeal, it's a dumb kid's movie meant to be watched by families. There are better ways to depict your female characters than explicitly drawing attention to a writer's sexual fetishes as part of the plot.
You'd have a point if this were Videl or 18, but Bulma being sex-crazed and vain has been a part of her character since chapter one. Unless you want Bulma to be written out of the story, then you can't write Bulma without her vanity.