Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:52 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:07 am
Mr_CINDER wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:05 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:05 am Your right and it probably because the plot was thinner than a sheet of toilet paper.

Again i ask: Is the "marketing" of this new movie the actions of a animation studio that’s confident in their work?

This trailer
felt like a damn MCU trailer in anime form and you could tell Toei knew it was gonna be a success out the gate
According to geekdom this movie has much more story and dialogue, but yes the overall marketing for this movie was very poor.
Aside from BoG (which maybe was interesting because it was the first entry in the franchise after years of no activity), did anyone honestly go see RoF and Broly because of the story and dialogue? In my opinion they should have just stuck to their comfort zone and to what they do best, which is the fights.

I would not have been dissatisfied with another brainless fun movie like Broly.
Agreed

One of the reasons this movie seems so alienating aside from the CGI is this movie is straying too far away from the DBZ DNA which is Fights & Spectacle these Dragonball movies arent Ghibli movies they are supposed to be theme park rides not thinkpieces (or in SH case a hackneyed lazy thinkpiece). Just stick the cool villians, reality shattering & multiversal level threat fights please. :|

But no they had to TRY & appease all the bellyaching & all the old man yelling at the nimbus talk the Broly movie strangely recieved.

"wahh, where is my tertiary side character who hasnt been relevant or written well in decades? Why isnt he in the movie?"

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:59 am

ADMINISTRATIVE POST/REMINDER/REQUEST:

A few folks in particular continue to make the same points/posts over and over and over and over. I had to admit that it's a bit tiresome from a readership perspective, and particularly so from a moderation perspective.

Especially where we can actually count the hours (not even weeks or necessarily days!) until the film's release, I would really ask that folks take a step back from the quick/reactionary/substance-less posts. Please really consider what it is you have to say, whether or not you have already said it (multiple times?), and especially whether or not you actually have the necessary context in order to make an educated, worthwhile, considered point on the matter.

I encourage everyone to have fun, express their opinions, share their thoughts, engage in conversation, etc. etc. etc. as always... but it's very important, as we are right here on the precipice staring down into the abyss of release, that we all think about these kinds of posts from a historical perspective (what will people think when they read back on this in a month? a year? a decade? several?), how you come across now and then, and how you want that to reflect both on yourself individually, as well as comprehensively here as a community.

Thank you so much!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:48 pm

Pan doesn't even go SSj yet. It's probably she is still too young, or maybe they will save it for later.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:13 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:48 pm Pan doesn't even go SSj yet. It's probably she is still too young, or maybe they will save it for later.
It's been like 26 years :lol:

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:29 pm

I will be honest... First I was hyped about a Gohan movie...

But after learning that it is the old shit story about him again... I don't really care... Even more with Bio Broly remake with Cell.

Piccolo using Shenron for a power up and Gotenks being a joke again doesn't make it better.

Only thing interesting left is Broly st Beerus Planet and maybe the one second of Freeza

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:52 pm

sigmasigma wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:45 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:37 am
Mr_CINDER wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:05 am
According to geekdom this movie has much more story and dialogue, but yes the overall marketing for this movie was very poor.
"more story" :D :D :D :D :D

Piccolo is attacked > Pan is kidnapped > Gohan rushes to save her > Goku, Vegeta and Broly fanservice scene > Few scenes of secondary characters > Gohan and Piccolo vs. Gamma 1 & 2 > Gohan vs. The Final Boss > The End.

Should be more. Like relationship between Piccolo and Pan and character development of Gohan
Lol at character development
Gohan just repeating the same shit from the ROF and TOP saga
Development my ass

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:54 pm

Block88 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:52 pm Lol at character development
Gohan just repeating the same shit from the ROF and TOP saga
Development my ass
Hey, so, following my post above:

This is a really good example of what we're asking for in terms of: please really take a step back and think about what you're posting.

Do you really need to say it? Are you just being dismissive of someone? Why are you doing that? What does it bring you, and what does it bring us?

A drive-by snark post isn't going to make you feel any better in the long run, isn't going to change anyone's mind, and it's exhausting to have to read.

We can all do a little better here, right?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:58 pm

Them trading in Goku and Vegeta for inferior characters like Pan and Gotenks just seems like a bad idea all around.

They should have took what worked from Broly and tried to improve on it. Kept the animation, the quality of the action and just improved on the story.

I wouldn't be surprised if it falls flat but I hope not.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:17 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:58 am Ah, less of what Dragonball needs: "old man yelling at the nimbus" talk when it comes to doing something cool with this decrepit franchise
I can not think of something more decrepit and uninspired than the current state of the MCU. If anyone's behind the times it's people who still have faith in the idea of a cinematic universe with absolutely no reason to exist.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:29 pm

Such a shame Buu sits this one out as well. Buu is one the few characters they can actually flesh out/evolve but Super refuses to do anything worthwhile with him.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:46 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:58 pm Them trading in Goku and Vegeta for inferior characters like Pan and Gotenks just seems like a bad idea all around.

They should have took what worked from Broly and tried to improve on it. Kept the animation, the quality of the action and just improved on the story.

i think the fans are in love with the idea of a story without Goku or Vegeta or where tertiary characters get the spotlight but when it comes to actually doing it not so much.

maybe the brand needs an absolute failure of a film to happen again as a shot in the arm so that things change

failure is a good teacher but will Toei/Toriyama learn from it.. i highly doubt it :D

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:07 pm

The thing is, if this movie featuring Gohan and Piccolo does fail, after so many fans asking for other characters, this would only “prove” to Toei to just spam Goku and Vegeta again. I dunno man.

On a brighter note I hope Trunks and Goten get to appear a bit besides just showing up for the kaijuu fight.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:14 pm

cEgocentrico wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:58 am Cell MAX!

You can tell it's fake because it's a red reskin of Cell X, but with Semi-Perfect Cell's lips.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:03 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:58 pm Them trading in Goku and Vegeta for inferior characters like Pan and Gotenks just seems like a bad idea all around.

Not really, plenty of fans are excited to see the larger cast play a bigger role. Goku and Vegeta got to have their time alone in the last film and in the current manga if they want that sort of thing.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:12 pm

I'm sure there's a portion of hardcore fans who are happy to see the characters have a chance to shine but these movies of they want success need to be appealing to the mass of fans and a Dragon Ball with the two main and most popular characters pushed to the side just seems risky.

I don't see why they couldn't have done something similar to Resurrection F because that movie had Goku and Vegeta at the forefront but still had time for the likes of Gohan, Piccolo, Bulma, Jaco, Roshi, Krillin and Tien.

We'll soon see if it worked.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:33 am

Most of the larger fanbase (that is, casual enjoyers who don't post on forums or social media) just want to see "new Dragon Ball" so I'm sure it'll do fine.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:47 am

Shaddy wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:17 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:58 am Ah, less of what Dragonball needs: "old man yelling at the nimbus" talk when it comes to doing something cool with this decrepit franchise
I can not think of something more decrepit and uninspired than the current state of the MCU. If anyone's behind the times it's people who still have faith in the idea of a cinematic universe with absolutely no reason to exist.
Even in a weakened state the MCU stories still tell a coherent, connected story, while remaining entertaining. Unlike Dragonball where they rehash & retcon what happened previously in the story so carelessly and with such arrogance that you’d think this was the Paul Wes Anderson Resident Evil movie franchise.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:28 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:47 am Even in a weakened state the MCU stories still tell a coherent, connected story, while remaining entertaining.
No, they're pretty fuckin repetitive and boring actually

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:55 am

When can we expect leaks? maybe even a cam rip?

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:21 am

DSB wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:55 am When can we expect leaks? maybe even a cam rip?
There will definitely be spoilers after the movie premiere around 1:40am June 11st Japan time