Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:55 am

Skar wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:16 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:40 amNow that you mention it i have a theory that although Broly made 100 million world wide interally in Toei Animations eyes it was a considered a either a failure or waste of time since in Japan it didnt make anywhere close to what its competition does in regards to anime movies showing in Japanese theaters which is where the box office matters most. I mean the fact that movie and Res F is that close should tell you something when both movies are worlds apart in terms of effort put in.
Toriyama did mention Broly's overseas popularity so it seems like they expected it to perform better than the other two internationally. I'm pretty sure it's still Toei's highest grossing film and doesn't have to beat all the competition to be considered a success. If we look at only "battle shonen" films, it's the third highest grossing after Mugen Train and Jujutsu Kaisen: 0 which both came out after Broly. It would be fifth if Pokemon counts.
Before Mugen train i would agree now ever since that movie & the JJK movie released the box office culture wars has infected the anime community. Now it matters especially for the big name series. If your movie bombs or underperforms it CAN affect your brand people will lose confidence for the next film (people underestimate how negative fan reception cando this)for example the latest MHA movie that came out last year made less than BOG for a currently popular series like that its embarassing. Now they dont even want another one.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:25 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:55 amBefore Mugen train i would agree now ever since that movie & the JJK movie released the box office culture wars has infected the anime community. Now it matters especially for the big name series. If your movie bombs or underperforms it CAN affect your brand people will lose confidence for the next film (people underestimate how negative fan reception cando this)for example the latest MHA movie that came out last year made less than BOG for a currently popular series like that its embarassing. Now they dont even want another one.
Where did you hear that? The first two MHA films grossed around $30 million each so less than the third. It's not breaking records but it seems good enough to keep the series going since it still has an anime and manga ranks in the top 10 each year. DB is still doing better than most newer franchises that release more frequently. It's still early to talk about negative fan reception when it hasn't come out yet.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:40 pm

Skar wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:25 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:55 amBefore Mugen train i would agree now ever since that movie & the JJK movie released the box office culture wars has infected the anime community. Now it matters especially for the big name series. If your movie bombs or underperforms it CAN affect your brand people will lose confidence for the next film (people underestimate how negative fan reception cando this)for example the latest MHA movie that came out last year made less than BOG for a currently popular series like that its embarassing. Now they dont even want another one.
Where did you hear that? The first two MHA films grossed around $30 million each so less than the third. It's not breaking records but it seems good enough to keep the series going since it still has an anime and manga ranks in the top 10 each year. DB is still doing better than most newer franchises that release more frequently. It's still early to talk about negative fan reception when it hasn't come out yet.
On various other forums discussing MHA and the bolded is my point a top 10 current anime and manga cant break 50 million at the box office? thats insane to me. MHA isnt some niche series. Idk about that early was back in may 2021 this thing is almost a day away from release and i can assure people arent happy with this movie at all.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:04 pm

There's no point comparing this movie to movies from other series. Best to just compare it to the movies that came before.

It's currently 2am in Japan. Broly was at 10,066 tickets sold according to Mimorin by 10am opening day Friday.

Soon enough we will have our first means of comparison.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:16 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:04 pm There's no point comparing this movie to movies from other series. Best to just compare it to the movies that came before.

It's currently 2am in Japan. Broly was at 10,066 tickets sold according to Mimorin by 10am opening day Friday.

you got a link to mimorin?

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:18 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:09 pm a little over 1 million domestically in Japan (as much as the last sailor moon movie did) & thats being generous

The fact this reheated leftovers of the android saga made on a PS4 developer kit will turn even a small profit is an actual miracle the Vatican should seriously consider recognizing officially.

I think that you take your dreams for reality. You want the movie to flop so badly that you're talking nonsense my friend

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:57 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:16 pm
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:04 pm There's no point comparing this movie to movies from other series. Best to just compare it to the movies that came before.

you got a link to mimorin?
Yeah it's here.

https://mimorin2014.blog.fc2.com/

Site is in Japanese. The top right lists the 10 highest rated movies. At the moment because it's the end of Thursday you can see Top Gun with almost 60,000.

That figure represents roughly 70% of the actual total. The average ticket price is about ¥1300. So some math can give you a vague estimate.

I have the total daily ticket sales information for Broly like its first 60 days so I can make easy comparisons with Super Hero.

After its first 3 day weekend Broly was at 517,000 so yeah just gotta see how well it stacks up to it.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:21 pm

MeMeDZEHH wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:18 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:09 pm a little over 1 million domestically in Japan (as much as the last sailor moon movie did) & thats being generous

The fact this reheated leftovers of the android saga made on a PS4 developer kit will turn even a small profit is an actual miracle the Vatican should seriously consider recognizing officially.

I think that you take your dreams for reality. You want the movie to flop so badly that you're talking nonsense my friend
Clearly you underestimate how badly CGI in any shape,form, or fashion is despised in the anime community.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:36 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:40 pmOn various other forums discussing MHA and the bolded is my point a top 10 current anime and manga cant break 50 million at the box office? thats insane to me. MHA isnt some niche series. Idk about that early was back in may 2021 this thing is almost a day away from release and i can assure people arent happy with this movie at all.
We hear a lot of assurances and predictions from fans over the years that don't end up being true. There's no way to tell how well a film will do until it's released. Some perform better than expected and some way worse.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:12 pm

My mistake I thought Super Hero came out on the 10th but it doesn't does it? It comes out on the 11th. I got it confused with Jurassic World opening here tomorrow.

Being that it opens on a Saturday and not a Friday then the comparison with Broly isn't going to be an apples to apples one at all. It's going to be more accurate to compare it to Resurrection F I suppose.

However interestingly enough....Dragon Ball Super Broly is returning to theatres? I didn't know that, did anyone know that?

It's literally listed that on Saturday, Super Hero will be having 1,400 screening across 353 theatres....but then Broly is getting 950 screenings across 157 theatres itself. I'm not sure if that's a one day only thing mind you but it's more money for it.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:12 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:12 pm My mistake I thought Super Hero came out on the 10th but it doesn't does it? It comes out on the 11th. I got it confused with Jurassic World opening here tomorrow.

Being that it opens on a Saturday and not a Friday then the comparison with Broly isn't going to be an apples to apples one at all. It's going to be more accurate to compare it to Resurrection F I suppose.

However interestingly enough....Dragon Ball Super Broly is returning to theatres? I didn't know that, did anyone know that?

It's literally listed that on Saturday, Super Hero will be having 1,400 screening across 353 theatres....but then Broly is getting 950 screenings across 157 theatres itself. I'm not sure if that's a one day only thing mind you but it's more money for it.

Hmmm smells like more Toei skullduggery. Trying to soften the blowback from the latest movie by having the last movie in.theaters

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:03 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:21 pm
MeMeDZEHH wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:18 pm

Clearly you underestimate how badly CGI in any shape,form, or fashion is despised in the anime community.
If you really think DBS Super Hero is only gonna make 1 million in Japan, it's either you are dumb what and i don't think you are, or like i said your hopes that the film will be a failure make you talk absolute nonsense.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:10 pm

Well here we go it's all begun. According to Mimorin...

Broly on opening day Friday by 10am had sold 10,066 tickets. By 10am on Saturday it had sold 26,792 (that's not cumulative).

Super Hero on opening day Saturday as of 9am is currently at 16,591 tickets.

In other words its first hour is doing better than Broly's first hour but of course Saturday is generally a much stronger day so a better comparison would be to the 26,000 even though that was its second day so would have burned off some demand. Not an apples to apples comparison but a good enough one.

Give it an hour and then we can see how it stacks up to Broly in a more accurate way.

Edit: By 9:20am it's reached 26,539 so it's already on par with Broly's Saturday ticket sales by 10am. It's gonna have a better opening day than Broly from the looks of it.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:34 pm

I'm sorry I take task with these figures- UltraVegeta420 on Twitter said the movie would tank because it's not 2D and didn't plaster Super Saiyan 5 Cell all over the posters.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:46 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:34 pm I'm sorry I take task with these figures- UltraVegeta420 on Twitter said the movie would tank because it's not 2D and didn't plaster Super Saiyan 5 Cell all over the posters.
It was never going to tank. It's just a question of how well this compares to the previous movies especially when Broly had more going for it.

But the numbers don't lie and as of 9:40am Super Hero's ticket sales stand at 33,000. Broly's best day was its first Sunday and that was at 34,000 as of 10am.

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:54 pm

I had no doubt the movie was gonna start well, my only worry was the potential rewatch value being not as big as the broly movie since it's a CGI movie but that's something we can only notice later on

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:22 pm

I know the anime community doesn't like cgi, but since when is cgi considered a cheap alternative?

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:25 pm

To be honest all the Dragon Ball movies have been very front loaded anyway.

The possible problem with this is that it doesn't fall on a holiday like the last three fell on Easter, Golden Week and Christmas. So it's gonna be all in the weekend. Whatever advantage it could gain upon opening even if it did open higher it will lose out on from not having those holiday days.

Anyway as of 10:18am - 40,500.

Broly didn't hit that on its opening day until around 3pm. On Saturday it was at 41,000 by 11am.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:07 pm

Last update for now as I gotta sleep.

As of 12pm it's at 67,700 tickets sold. Almost four times as much as Broly at the same point in time on opening Friday. Broly's Saturday at 12pm was at 59,600.

Super Hero first day looks so far like it could be above Broly's first Saturday and below it's first Sunday which would be like ¥400 million (by 2018 levels) but it's still very early.

Nevaeh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nevaeh » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:01 am

I'm really curious to see it's performance here in the States. What Broly did despite it's limited screenings was bonkers