Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:57 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:39 pm Just for those that haven't been looking at the box office thread. Early estimates have this movie opening on par or below Battle of Gods with a total that could fall quite a good chunk below.

It's going to be a box office disappointment domestically from the looks of things.

I had said such a possibility could occur months ago, I'm not the on!y one. From a business perspective why they didn't replicate Broly I'll never know. The decision to go CGI (usually poorly received in Japan as is) and to shove the two most popular characters to the side was the wrong one to make.

Hopefully this does not put Toei off from continuing to make more movies. Probably won't help the chances of the anime series coming back either
Kei17 mentioned in this thread awhile back that the 4 years without a new anime currently airing would hurt this film among other strange decisions Toei made. Idk if Toei will see the difference in why Broly was a hit but SH was not the same & course correct.Instead of getting the wrong idea.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:03 pm

I'm curious to see how it will do domestically (I don't have a lot of hope for international with the way people have been talking about it) but if BOGs Opening weekend isn't considered a flop then why should this be? The marketing of this movie was bad, it's sold in about a hundred less theaters than the previous movies, focuses on side characters that have been left on the sidelines for 30 years and despite this has done about as well as the first DB movie in 20 years that gave Goku a new transformation.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:07 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:57 pmKei17 mentioned in this thread awhile back that the 4 years without a new anime currently airing would hurt this film among other strange decisions Toei made. Idk if Toei will see the difference in why Broly was a hit but SH was not the same & course correct.Instead of getting the wrong idea.
It would hurt. It's like manga sales, they're elevated when there's an anime running.

But there was no anime running when Resurrection F came out, it hadn't even started and that made ¥3.75 billion. This could make a whole billion less.

So there's more reasons than just that. As I said before, what was Super Hero's selling point?

Battle of Gods was the first movie in 17 years. The first to be written by Toriyama. The first that was canon. It was introducing Super Saiyan God.

Resurrection F brought back the most famous villain of all and gave him a new transformation. Goku and Vegeta got new transformations with it.

Broly brought back one of the two most popular villains in the franchise but re-introduced him into the canon. Brought back Bardock and Gogeta to boot.

What was Super Hero's big thing? Going by the promotion building up to it what was it? It was CGI? Japanese don't like that. Gohan and Piccolo are the main characters? They aren't as possible though. What were they selling this on? It just came across as more Dragon Ball.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:09 pm

Michsi wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:03 pm I'm curious to see how it will do domestically (I don't have a lot of hope for international with the way people have been talking about it) but if BOGs Opening weekend isn't considered a flop then why should this be?
Because Battle of Gods opening was deflated because immediately after the weekend there was the Easter holidays so people would have held off.

That isn't the case here. So the two opening grosses may be the same but they aren't equal.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:11 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:09 pm
Michsi wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:03 pm I'm curious to see how it will do domestically (I don't have a lot of hope for international with the way people have been talking about it) but if BOGs Opening weekend isn't considered a flop then why should this be?
Because Battle of Gods opening was deflated because immediately after the weekend there was the Easter holidays so people would have held off.

That isn't the case here. So the two opening grosses may be the same but they aren't equal.
Easter Holiday? In Japan? And doesn't a holiday usually bump numbers? Movies released during golden week usually do well.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:26 pm

It's too early to tell I think, but with the extremely poor marketing this movie had leading up to release, plus (apparently) a lot less theaters than DBS Broly, it honestly seems like Toei didn't have faith in this movie to succeed. And before anyone says, I'm not calling the movie shit or anything like that. Just an observation.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:27 pm

Michsi wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:11 pmEaster Holiday? In Japan? And doesn't a holiday usually bump numbers? Movies released during golden week usually do well.
Well Spring holiday. Either way Battle of Gods opened on a Saturday and then from the Monday it was a national holiday.

That gave the movie a strong first week. The weekend was less than it otherwise would have been due to people who would have planned to see it on the weekdays.

Super Hero because there are no holidays means it's going to be a weekend movie.

So the two opening the same makes it worse for Super Hero because for most if they don't see it this weekend then the next option is next weekend.

Happens with Hollywood movies in US. Movies in December traditionally open less than say in May because December movies perform stronger on the weekdays because it's a holiday.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:34 pm

Michsi wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:03 pm I'm curious to see how it will do domestically (I don't have a lot of hope for international with the way people have been talking about it) but if BOGs Opening weekend isn't considered a flop then why should this be? The marketing of this movie was bad, it's sold in about a hundred less theaters than the previous movies, focuses on side characters that have been left on the sidelines for 30 years and despite this has done about as well as the first DB movie in 20 years that gave Goku a new transformation.

It depends on how you quantify a flop. if your movie makes less than expected then people online will call it a flop cause of the box office culture nowadays & they expect DB movies to make big money. If the movie makes I believe 2x-2.5x it’s budget back then it’s not a flop in the eyes of the company cause it recouped funds back plus some.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:56 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:34 pm It depends on how you quantify a flop. if your movie makes less than expected then people online will call it a flop cause of the box office culture nowadays & they expect DB movies to make big money. If the movie makes I believe 2x-2.5x it’s budget back then it’s not a flop in the eyes of the company cause it recouped funds back plus some.
We don't even have production numbers yet for SH. DBS Broly was between 7.5-8.5million dollars. With a total global box office of over 122million. So even if you had to add advertisement costs on top of the movie budget (if not already factored in), then they still made around 10x their money back. Unfortunately without SH's production budget, we have no clue how much it needs to earn to make a profit and we likely won't get those numbers for several weeks. However I get the feeling it's going to be in excess of 10million due not only to the extensive use of CGI (which is supposed to make things easier/cheaper), but because of production delays. So even if it makes about as much as Broly overall in the global box office, it would still technically make less money because the costs were higher.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:59 pm

Damn, the movie sounds insane! can't wait to see it... but will have to wait for home release, so I guess like in one year :roll:

White Gohan, Orange Piccolo... I was never a fan of ice cream transformations from Super and how they killed the staple Super Saiyan look, that made a sense in that Saiyan goes Super and is golden, with light eyes.
If the screenshots are true, it looks rudiculous and retarded kinda. But I think that the story will be a blast.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:35 pm

It looks like Gohan has SSG eyes, MUI hair, and Hakaishin aura. I wonder if he unlocked all those forms combined?
MCDaveG wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:59 pm If the screenshots are true, it looks rudiculous and retarded kinda. But I think that the story will be a blast.
It looks a lot better in motion.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:41 pm

I can't for the life of me see this movie doing numbers anywhere near those of BoG, RF, or Broly. The first one was the first new official DBZ story in like a decade, and had the hype of being created by Toriyama. RF followed up on that hype and reintroduced Frieza. Broly featured hugely popular fan favorite characters, and was released a few months after the end of Super, which drew a ton of viewership and was even aired in stadiums in Latin American countries.

There has been absolutely no hype surrounding this movie, Super has not aired in like 4 years, the animation style is weird, and it seems like a side story unrelated to Goku and Jiren.

Still, I want to watch already...
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:45 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:41 pm I can't for the life of me see this movie doing numbers anywhere near those of BoG, RF, or Broly. The first one was the first new official DBZ story in like a decade, and had the hype of being created by Toriyama. RF followed up on that hype and reintroduced Frieza. Broly featured hugely popular fan favorite characters, and was released a few months after the end of Super, which drew a ton of viewership and was even aired in stadiums in Latin American countries.

There has been absolutely no hype surrounding this movie, Super has not aired in like 4 years, the animation style is weird, and it seems like a side story unrelated to Goku and Jiren.

Still, I want to watch already...
you ain't wrong and I think toei knows it too because they had no idea how to market this movie.

SquadronGOD
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SquadronGOD » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:45 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:07 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:57 pmKei17 mentioned in this thread awhile back that the 4 years without a new anime currently airing would hurt this film among other strange decisions Toei made. Idk if Toei will see the difference in why Broly was a hit but SH was not the same & course correct.Instead of getting the wrong idea.
It would hurt. It's like manga sales, they're elevated when there's an anime running.

But there was no anime running when Resurrection F came out, it hadn't even started and that made ¥3.75 billion. This could make a whole billion less.

So there's more reasons than just that. As I said before, what was Super Hero's selling point?

Battle of Gods was the first movie in 17 years. The first to be written by Toriyama. The first that was canon. It was introducing Super Saiyan God.

Resurrection F brought back the most famous villain of all and gave him a new transformation. Goku and Vegeta got new transformations with it.

Broly brought back one of the two most popular villains in the franchise but re-introduced him into the canon. Brought back Bardock and Gogeta to boot.

What was Super Hero's big thing? Going by the promotion building up to it what was it? It was CGI? Japanese don't like that. Gohan and Piccolo are the main characters? They aren't as possible though. What were they selling this on? It just came across as more Dragon Ball.
Super Heros big thing is that they made Gohan and Piccolo "relevant again" so they can just fade off to the side like always.. just really came out to scramble the lore up a bit.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:52 pm

Is there any date when the movie will get localized to outside Japan? Around when would it arrive to Europe cinema like UK, Spain, etc?

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:53 pm

Now that Super Hero is out, where would you guys want Dragon Ball to go after the Granolah arc ends, in terms of both manga AND anime content (once they finish the retellings)?
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:56 pm

super michael wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:52 pm Is there any date when the movie will get localized to outside Japan? Around when would it arrive to Europe cinema like UK, Spain, etc?
It will be released in the US in August

SquadronGOD
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SquadronGOD » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:05 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:53 pm Now that Super Hero is out, where would you guys want Dragon Ball to go after the Granolah arc ends, in terms of both manga AND anime content (once they finish the retellings)?
Doesn't matter for the anime but hopefully the manga goes in a different direction and ends sooner than later.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:10 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:53 pm Now that Super Hero is out, where would you guys want Dragon Ball to go after the Granolah arc ends, in terms of both manga AND anime content (once they finish the retellings)?
I’m guessing the manga will have one more arc that’s meant to take place after this movie, and then that’ll be it. This movie takes place one year before the manga’s epilogue, so there’s not much left they can do, unless they plan to go beyond EoZ.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:13 pm

Anime isn't coming back, manga i think will have 2 more arcs after Granolah, and then concluding with End of Z.