Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by pepd » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:50 pm

Okay, the movie is great. Fun interactions and plot. That they made Kinton purple was a really nice surprise. Gotenks and Buluma gags were actually funny. Not totally happy with the choice of kaiju Cell, but is not that bad and the second form was the right call. Also, the conclusion of Goku vs Vegeta was hilarious.

After watching it, my feeling of Gohan Blanco being a Toei thing only grows, with very little changes you could make it just be Ultimate Gohan. Also of Orange Piccolo, but with Shenlong commenting on it, the name, and the symbol, it feels more integrated, specially with recent lore expansion; the only think that feels wrong is that is too Chad, so I'm less suspicious of it.

Does anyone know what did Gohan said regarding his insects investigation and the SS?

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:58 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:44 pm Forgot to say it, but Shenlong recognizes Piccolo for some reason. I don't know nor understand why, but he does, even calling him by his name. Maybe I'm missing/forgetting something.
Kami fused with Piccolo

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:58 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:24 pm a few notes:

Grandpa Piccolo real MC of the movie.

RPC stands for Red Pharmaceutical Corporation

Piccolo goes through SPECIFICALLY the Namek Potential Unleashing: Orange is basically Super Namek Piccolo.

Super Saiyan 2 Grade 2 Ultimate Gohan was a goddamn boring design.
Cell Max, too.
Gohans form is interesting to me (the last shot of it looks so crazy ridiculous). I can't get behind your boring critique, it looks like what I imagine kids used to draw when they were like super saiyan evil lol I think it looks strange, but definitely not boring.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:00 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:44 pm Forgot to say it, but Shenlong recognizes Piccolo for some reason. I don't know nor understand why, but he does, even calling him by his name. Maybe I'm missing/forgetting something.
Piccolo/God is his original creator.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:03 pm

Probably for the same reason that Karin called him Kami-sama in the film.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:07 pm

I love the interaction between Shenron and Piccolo. Making him more like a living thing than just a tool. Just like his interaction with Beerus in previous movie

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:15 pm

sigmasigma wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:07 pm I love the interaction between Shenron and Piccolo. Making him more like a living thing than just a tool. Just like his interaction with Beerus in previous movie
I like the idea that Shenron has to wake up every once in awhile for Bulma to ask him for something frivolous just so the Dragon Balls are doormant

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:17 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:14 pm I know, that's what I said it was! You people keep quoting me to make sure I know that you know that SSBE isn't as strong as Ultra Instinct without actually reading the words I'm saying.
Yeah...and that isn't the main point at all. Maybe I should make it more clear
My point was ever since Goku got UI they've been handing out new forms and powerups to Vegeta to compensate and none of them have stuck because UI was a genuine cultural reset rivaling the original Super Saiyan transformation while all of Vegeta's new powerups are things we either forgot about the moment they happened or wish we could.
Which is not the case because none of these new forms or power ups were supossed to compensate for Goku's Ultra Instinct. Ultra Ego is supposed to fulfill this role, and we don't know if it will stick (for that matter, none of the power ups for Vegeta were ignored after their showings)

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:21 pm

pepd wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:50 pm Does anyone know what did Gohan said regarding his insects investigation and the SS?
He said he found a type of ant that glows golden when threatened, just like the Super Saiyans. I actually found this moment to be really cute, lol. Gohan gets super excited talking about nature beings / stuff that reminds him of his nature as a fighter, but doesn't care about actual fighting.

wertham

Post by wertham » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:21 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:03 pm
wertham wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:12 amAre you seriously saying that the movies are in a different continuity than the manga just because Goku and Vegeta only mention Jiren and not Moro and Granolah?
That alone puts into question whether or not the manga sagas happened in the movies continuity. "Yes, the manga sagas happened in the movies continuity" is just as uncertain as "no, the manga sagas didn't happen in the movies continuity". It's more that we can't say anything for sure.

But if only all we had to deal with was just that, no. The movies and manga do take place in separated continuities due to several other factors as well: differences in events; differences in power level; mentions, or lack thereof; absences and other details.
I understand your point, but I think it's a matter of Toei not wanting to have any Moro or Granolah Arc references in the movies to avoid confusion to anime-only viewers. I'm sure there's a lot of people who haven't caught up with the manga. Also, the Granolah arc hasn't finished yet, so any mention to this character might be considered a spoiler (ignoring the fact that the movie script was written before the existence of the arc). All in all, what I want to say is that the absence of any mention to the previous arcs doesn't imply that they didn't happen. Ultra Instinct didn't appear in Broly and wasn't mentioned either, that doesn't imply it doesn't exist in movie continuity.

The core problem is Dragon Ball Super's erratic planification as a whole, that leaves us with this kind of annoying inconsistencies. But I'm pretty sure that Super Hero will be canon to the manga and it will be adressed in itas the Broly movie was.
Grimlock wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:03 pm
wertham wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:12 amI mean, even the original Super Saiyan was A HAIR RECOLOR :lol:
No, it wasn't.
Well... Yes, it was, along with the spiky hair in Goku's case, of course. On Vegeta it was literally a hair recolor, for example :lol: What I mean is that Super Saiyan wasn't a dramatic transformation with a lot of features like Super Saiyan 4 or the villains' transformations. Coming up with a good new transformation is a tricky thing. Doing it in a minimalist way is consistent with the kind of "canonical" transformations that the saiyans have (Giant Ape aside).

About Gohan's

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:46 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:17 pm
Kataphrut wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:14 pm I know, that's what I said it was! You people keep quoting me to make sure I know that you know that SSBE isn't as strong as Ultra Instinct without actually reading the words I'm saying.
Yeah...and that isn't the main point at all. Maybe I should make it more clear
My point was ever since Goku got UI they've been handing out new forms and powerups to Vegeta to compensate and none of them have stuck because UI was a genuine cultural reset rivaling the original Super Saiyan transformation while all of Vegeta's new powerups are things we either forgot about the moment they happened or wish we could.
Which is not the case because none of these new forms or power ups were supossed to compensate for Goku's Ultra Instinct. Ultra Ego is supposed to fulfill this role, and we don't know if it will stick (for that matter, none of the power ups for Vegeta were ignored after their showings)
Again, you're not telling me anything I didn't already say. I know these new powerups don't compare to Ultra Instinct. That was entirely my point because they're all incredibly lame whereas they nailed it the first time with Ultra instinct.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:04 pm

I wonder will this be a more divisive movie amongst the fandom than Res F?

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:10 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:46 pm
Again, you're not telling me anything I didn't already say. I know these new powerups don't compare to Ultra Instinct. That was entirely my point because they're all incredibly lame whereas they nailed it the first time with Ultra instinct.
You still don't get it. Your point is that none of these power ups stuck around because they didn't ''nailed it'' like they did with Ultra Instinct. But the thing is...none of these power ups (except for Ultra Ego) were supposed to stick around or be as big as Ultra Instinct in terms of importance to Vegeta. They are not ''handling power ups and new forms'' to compensate for anything, that's just the natural progression of the series.

Ultra Ego IS supposed to be what you are saying that tho, and we have to see how they're going to deal with it in the future

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:18 pm

I'm still avoiding this place, but I just wanted to say that I have never had this much trouble trying to avoid spoilers for a movie. Holy shit. I'm talking like every time I go onto YouTube there is some kind of camcorded leak on the home page. Every. Damn. Time. I have to make a mental note to quickly go onto the subscription tab just to avoid spoilers.

I've installed a channel blocker extension on Chrome so I can block all these assholes with their spoiler thumbnails and titles. I go on Twitter and damn-near any kind of DB related tweet has some person spoiling something in the replies. Apparently the whole film has leaked online on a shitty 240p camcorder?? :crazy:

The movie's only been out for like not even 3 days and I am out here fighting for my goddamn life. At this point I have to go into a Dragon Ball blackout and just not even look at anything DB related for the next 2 months. I don't remember struggling this much with the last 3 movies. I think a big reason why is because a lot of the third act surprises weren't revealed in trailers. Whereas with the previous movies, Super Saiyan God was mentioned in a trailer, Super Saiyan Blue was revealed in TV spots, Gogeta got his own trailer etc.

I'm gonna keep fighting, guys. Wish me luck! :lol:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:12 am

Zelvin wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:34 pm
HeroR wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:48 pm
Extreme_kai wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:18 pm All you're saying is I must watch the movie I.E Pay for the movie to have an opinion on it and I simply refused. I knew I was going to like Broly just from the reviews and the synopsis and I did. There is nothing in Super Hero's for me to like besides the slice-of-life segments I can watch for free on youtube later, It's as simple as that. This movie isn't getting a dime from me, and that's where I will leave that at. If I do ever watch it later (and trust me, I'm not clamoring to watch it), I will watch it for free like I did with resurrection F lol
Not what I said. I said you can’t judge a movie good or bad without seeing it first. That’s different than say, ‘this movie doesn’t interest me so I won’t watch it’.

That and your attitude isn’t helping when you more less suggest that people only liked the movie before it’s Dragon Ball.
No, you are suggesting that, before someone can even be allowed to have a valid opinion, is to first support the thing they already know they aren't going to like beforehand, from all available information that has been shown and leaked about the thing in question. Which was damn near its entirety. But then comes the inevitable "You're not a REAL fan" argument even should someone actually see the product and still finds that their criticisms and thoughts on it were as expected. Which is precisely what happened with the likes of Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr. WHO, etc etc.

Now, I will say that the movie may well be perfectly serviceable. However, this is like eating a bunch of candy after fasting for two weeks. You're going to feel it's a lot better and more filling than it actually is. We've gone about three years without any Dragonball Anime since the Broly movie. So the audience was going to be hungry for just about anything that came out. That doesn't mean the product has maintained the same level of quality. This is basically going from a well-done steak to fast food, but you're so grateful for the fast food because you haven't eaten anything but bland cereal for a month.

Super Hero is the equivalent of a sugar rush. That high feels really great for a bit, but you'll crash after a while. Then you'll feel bloated and tired and wondering why you just did that. At this point it is more a divide between people who want Dragon Ball to improve and be consistent with its writing and quality, and people who just want their sugar rush whenever they can get it. People can still like the movie as well as accept the fact that other's aren't going to like it. There is very valid criticism and yes, you can criticize the audience too for being mindless consumers. Just as well as you can criticize those that point out every single flaw in a movie and not take any time to find something they may actually like.

At the end of the day, to myself an others, this movie was a Frankenstein's mess of old concepts, story points, 'homages' and fan-fiction stitched together into something that, frankly, has no reason to exist besides "Here's new product. Now consume product and get excited for next product". To us, it's sad to see. Like watching someone you're close to having come down with dementia. You want the best for them, but you know there's no going back to how things were. And there's no getting better. It's all downhill from then on. For us, DBS Broly was the final installment. Everything that comes after is like the old DBZ movies. They don't fit into the main story and they aren't meant to. They're just a bit of mindless fun with no stakes or consequences between releases to keep you occupied. It's just that the future is nothing but that now.
An opinion isn’t the same as given valid criticism and an opinion also doesn’t give you a blank check. And no one around here has used ‘the real fan’ about not liking the movie. I’ve seen more the opponent when you’re called a droid that supposed everything Dragon Ball no matter the quality for liking the movie or not minding it went CGI. In short, this is a straw man argument.

“So the audience was going to be hungry for just about anything that came out. ”

There’s that arrogance again. Namely people can’t just like the movie. They like it because they’re ‘starving’ for more Dragon Ball and will take anything. This is despite people who are critical of Dragon Ball saying they like the movie overall even if they were things they didn’t like.

“This is basically going from a well-done steak to fast food, but you're so grateful for the fast food because you haven't eaten anything but bland cereal for a month.”

Depends on taste since not everyone liked Broly or think that highly of it, especially when I’ve seen people like Super Hero more.

“Super Hero is the equivalent of a sugar rush. That high feels really great for a bit, but you'll crash after a while. Then you'll feel bloated and tired and wondering why you just did that.”

So now you’re relating people liking Super Hero to them just having a good sugar rush. Like, really?

“At the end of the day, to myself an others, this movie was a Frankenstein's mess of old concepts, story points,”

All based on a product you never saw and dare to call people who liked it just wanting more Dragon Ball no matter what. This isn’t just given an opinion, this is you trying to act you have superior then those who enjoyed it.

“Like watching someone you're close to having come down with dementia.”

I had to take care of both of my grandparents that had dementia. Don’t you dare compare not liking a movie or a direction of a franchise to seeing someone you love slip away and barely remembered your name.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

GatoF
Beyond Newbie

Post by GatoF » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:30 am

I loved the movie... It's tough for it to compete with DBS Broly because that movie was peak fanservice (Broly and Gogeta coming back) but it's definitely better than BoG and RoF to me.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:54 am

I just watched it as well. Easily my top 2 Dragonball films ever to be honest. Such a breath of fresh air from the status quo with the use of the cast. The climax was absolutely incredible, felt like an excited kid watching.

I never thought in a million years that in 2022, Piccolo would be the main character of a Dragonball film. I was shocked at the amount of screen time he got, easily over anyone else’s, and he moved the plot as well; Gohan was great, but Piccolo was the star of the show.

Pan and Piccolo are cute together
Last edited by omaro34 on Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:29 am

sigmasigma wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:58 pmKami fused with Piccolo
Cipher wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:00 pmPiccolo/God is his original creator.
DBZfan29 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:03 pmProbably for the same reason that Karin called him Kami-sama in the film.
It is a bit odd, though, when you take into consideration that Piccolo and Shenlong have no direct dialogue when the characters summoned him to revive everyone who died in Cell saga and to bring Goku back, as well as no interaction again in Movie 14. Those are, off the top of my head, the two occasions in which I remember Shenlong being summoned while Piccolo is present and able to chat.

Gotta say, it's surprisingly and weirdly (?) good to see Shenlong being able to chat for a little bit with gods. It's also a potential source for lore, so hopefully we'll get to see more of it.
wertham wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:21 pmI understand your point, but I think it's a matter of Toei not wanting to have any Moro or Granolah Arc references in the movies to avoid confusion to anime-only viewers. I'm sure there's a lot of people who haven't caught up with the manga.
While it might be a possibility, we must always remember that they aren't too concerned with making mentions to Tarble, a character that has only appeared in a single OVA and manga that still haven't been released outside of Japan. Who is Tarble?
wertham wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:21 pmAlso, the Granolah arc hasn't finished yet, so any mention to this character might be considered a spoiler (ignoring the fact that the movie script was written before the existence of the arc).
It isn't necessary to make reference that spoil anything, mentioning by name is enough. Also, Granolah is, like, the very first character to appear in Granolah saga, so it isn't really a spoiler.
wertham wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:21 pm(ignoring the fact that the movie script was written before the existence of the arc).
It doesn't matter that the script was written before, there is something called "planning", that is used to plan things out ahead. Talk to Toyotaro and see what he has in mind. Talk to Toei and see what they have in mind (assuming they take part in the writing process of these movies) and what they had already done in the anime.

Converse! Chat! Discuss! Debate! Discourse! Speak! Say! State! Talk! Tell! Organization!

Or what the hell was "Dragon Room" made for!? Trust me on this one, the second they start doing that, half of the problems Dragon Ball Super has will simply disappear.
Last edited by Grimlock on Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:30 am

All of you that watched the camrip. You will go see it in cinemas too, right? ;_;

GatoF
Beyond Newbie

Post by GatoF » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:45 am

Michsi wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:30 am All of you that watched the camrip. You will go see it in cinemas too, right? ;_;
Yes! It's a good movie! They deserve the money.