Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by sigmasigma » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:26 am

Kataphrut wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:22 am
Michsi wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:30 am All of you that watched the camrip. You will go see it in cinemas too, right? ;_;
I've only peaked at a couple clips but even so, a camrip is miles apart from seeing it in the cinema. I will absolutely be watching it when it comes out here.
I watched the camrip. But I will still see it in cinemas multiple times. Hope it will be released in my place soon.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:57 am

This movie sounds like garbage. Watching the camrip would be a waste of my time.
It's really bizarre to see how Super started and to see it fly of the rails resulting is this bizarre CG experiment. From the weird plot points to the nostalgia pandering. It's hard so see who this movie is targeted at.

Let me take that back. It's not exactly nostalgia pandering. It's using nostalgia and then performing a bait and switch.
Do you like Cell? Here he is! But only as a mindless monster, behaving totally unlike the character you liked.
Want to see Goten and Trunks grow up? Here they are! Except they can't turn SSJ
Like Gotenks? Want to see adult Gotenks besides in Heroes? Here he is except LOLZ he's fatz!

The only part where they use nostalgia and don't bait and switch is when Gohan transforms which is animated just like in the original. Except it's lacking the awesome music. And it's basically just a memberberries scene.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:35 am

I'm going to be honest, i do get people not liking CG and all that stuff, i understand how off putting the marketing for this film has been and how annoying the "power related plot points" can be.

But I cannot shake the feeling that some fans are either taking this way too seriously or viewing through the wrong lens.

It just seems odd to me that the main thing some folk take from this film is the transformations and final fight, which are not even the main thing driving it nor the most important plot point whatsoever.

It's a comedy slice of life film, and honestly the closest we've ever gotten to classic db vibes within the super title if you ask me, and yet the main thing you care bout is forms or having serious plot?

I'm not saying it's wrong to have those gripes, i really do understand how fans wish for dragon ball's story to be expanded and better developed, I wish for that too.

But this, to me, it's the wrong product to be aiming such complaints, specially since from what I see lurking round this thread, some people really are repeating themselves.......a lot, in their stances on how the movie sucks and all that, it's kind off a drag to be honest. It looks like some users are being negative for the sake of it (which reminds me of the old super threads lol) and some to the point of being just blatantly disrespectful.

All I'm saying, is, look, we get it, criticism is valid and all that, specially considering how chaotic modern dragon ball has been, but........some of you really need to learn how to lighten up :lol:
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:36 am

DSB wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:34 am
Michsi wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:22 am
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:14 am Opening weekend gross is ¥670 million.

Lowest than Battle of Gods. Drastically lower than Resurrection F and Broly.
Oh well, at least the reviews from those who seen it seem overwhelmingly positive as opposed to how the majority have talked about it before.
I'll take a riskier concept with less tickets sold but received well over a half-baked cash grab any day.

I'm just sad that this will tell Toei to stick with the Broly formula from now on.
Broly is a far superior movie than this in every way. Just the visuals make SH look like a video game which sucks. Not to mention illogical powerups for both piccolo and Gohan. Also a stupid story. Why is red ribbon army relevant in 2022?

And yes, I saw the movie. It was uploaded in Youtube in hd.
Broly is not a better movie. It basically one giant fight with some minor prologue at the beginning and even then most of the fight and film is pretty derivative. We’ve seen the Broly story with Paragus before being shunned by King Vegeta, we’ve seen Broly go off the rails and become unbeatable, we’ve seen Goku and Vegeta attempt to fuse before finally becoming full powered Gogeta and wrecking the opponent.

It’s just very pretty animation. Even the fight scenes besides pure visual aesthetics I wouldn’t say are better than Super Hero. Pretty images sure, but it suffers from the typical flash fighting without rhyme or reason and ping pong effect that is ultimately shallow. Super Hero went old school and actually had most segments of the fighting have narrative purpose to progress either the battle or story. It wasn’t just wasteful moves to look cool.

Likewise story wise this is clearly just a more well constructive narrative. It’s full beginning, middle, end story with a central character arc and it utilizes the ensemble more effectively. A non Dragon Ball fan is going to watch Broly and see one big giant fight they aren’t invested in. This gave a story and reason to follow along.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:43 am

Toriyama reacts to the finished movie:
https://twitter.com/herms98/status/1536 ... 41889?s=21

I can't remember him praising something so extensively. If he has his say, we should probably expect more 3D Dragon Ball.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:05 am

Opening weekend gross - ¥669,890,220

Battle of Gods did ¥685 million.

Resurrection F did $960 million.

Broly did ¥813 million for 2 days or $1050 million for 3 days.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:07 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:05 am Opening weekend gross - ¥669,890,220

Battle of Gods did ¥685 million.

Resurrection F did $960 million.

Broly did ¥813 million for 2 days or $1050 million for 3 days.
Do we know in how many theaters BoG and RoF were shown?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:14 am

batistabus wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:43 am Toriyama reacts to the finished movie:
https://twitter.com/herms98/status/1536 ... 41889?s=21

I can't remember him praising something so extensively. If he has his say, we should probably expect more 3D Dragon Ball.
I'd rather Dragon Ball movies stick to 2D animation in the future, but if Toriyama is happy, then I guess that's all that matters...

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:35 am

Like Toriyama would bash the movie in public even if he didn't like it.
It's all part of marketing. Not saying he doesn't like it but either way he would publicly praise the movie.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:42 am

Michsi wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:07 amDo we know in how many theaters BoG and RoF were shown?
Apparently

312 for BoG
653 for RoF
467 for Broly
407 for Super Hero

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:44 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:42 am
Michsi wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:07 amDo we know in how many theaters BoG and RoF were shown?
Apparently

312 for BoG
653 for RoF
467 for Broly
407 for Super Hero

I read that Superhero has 371 theaters

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:49 am

Michsi wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:44 amI read that Superhero has 371 theaters
It's 371 standard theatres and 38 IMAX theatres for a total of 407.

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:54 am

DBZfan29 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:The series has been uncut for a very long time now. There wont be any problem with censorship.
I never said there would. I was simply pointing out how this movie was actually fairly kid friendly, all things considered, by pointing out how little "bad stuff" there actually was in it.
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

somelgaster10

Post by somelgaster10 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:05 am

Michsi wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:30 am All of you that watched the camrip. You will go see it in cinemas too, right? ;_;
Of course.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:09 am

Our theaters wont have it, but I'll have the bluray yes

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:20 am

One good thing is Jiren is still being kept important.

Has there any other antagonist since Freeza who has been kept important beyond their own arc?

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:24 am

HeroR wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:20 am There is way too much assumptions around here about how Toei will view the movie. That and to blunt, people leaking a movie doesn't hurt sells as much as people think. Especially when most won't understand a word of it since there is no sub.
did they mention anything about the budget?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:39 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:24 am
HeroR wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:20 am There is way too much assumptions around here about how Toei will view the movie. That and to blunt, people leaking a movie doesn't hurt sells as much as people think. Especially when most won't understand a word of it since there is no sub.
did they mention anything about the budget?
We have no clue how much the film cost or what their projection was given that this film is experimental from the change director, music, cgi, and focusing on side-characters.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:42 am

The hand-drawn flashbacks were so much fucking better than anything else that it kind of ruined the rets of the movie for me.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:49 am

Jord wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:35 am Like Toriyama would bash the movie in public even if he didn't like it.
It's all part of marketing. Not saying he doesn't like it but either way he would publicly praise the movie.
He typically has something positive to say about whatever he's asked to comment on, but if you've read his comments over the years, he seems particularly enthusiastic in this one.

I'm just saying...if anyone is hoping the films will go back to 2D after this one, it might be best to temper your expectations. It's not just up to Toriyama, but we know Toei has been shooting for this as well.