Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Mr_CINDER » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:54 am

batistabus wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:49 am He typically has something positive to say about whatever he's asked to comment about, but if you've read his comments over the years, he seems particularly enthusiastic in this one.

I'm just saying...if anyone is hoping the films will go back to 2D after this one, it might be best to temper your expectations. It's not just up to Toriyama, but we know Toei has been shooting for this as well.
was that the case or they made it CGI because its cell ?, they always said how it was painful to draw all those spots

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:07 pm

batistabus wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:43 am Toriyama reacts to the finished movie:
https://twitter.com/herms98/status/1536 ... 41889?s=21

I can't remember him praising something so extensively. If he has his say, we should probably expect more 3D Dragon Ball.
It's not like he's gonna say "The movie sucks. Don't go watch it", but he does seems genuinely happy about it.

As for more CGI DB, even though the movie looks good, 2D style is still the way to go for me. And the beautiful 2D intro of the movie looked better than the rest.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:14 pm

I think the reason he sounds so enthusiastic is because this movie, more than any other, contains many of his favorite elements.

Focus on humor, Gamma 1 and 2 designs and characteristics, the SOL elements , all the military and mechanical stuff for RR army base, and of course, Cell Max's design being based on his second form that we know he liked a lot. This appears to be more of a passion project than anything else.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:36 pm

Michsi wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:14 pm I think the reason he sounds so enthusiastic is because this movie, more than any other, contains many of his favorite elements.

Focus on humor, Gamma 1 and 2 designs and characteristics, the SOL elements , all the military and mechanical stuff for RR army base, and of course, Cell Max's design being based on his second form that we know he liked a lot. This appears to be more of a passion project than anything else.
This makes me so happy to hear. Few things are better than a creative project made by a master artist who is creating for the sheer joy of it. This sounds like the complete opposite of the (as much as I enjoyed some of them!) cynical Toei cash ins from the 90s, or even most of the DBS anime, and I am extremely here for it.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:45 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:54 am
batistabus wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:49 am He typically has something positive to say about whatever he's asked to comment about, but if you've read his comments over the years, he seems particularly enthusiastic in this one.

I'm just saying...if anyone is hoping the films will go back to 2D after this one, it might be best to temper your expectations. It's not just up to Toriyama, but we know Toei has been shooting for this as well.
was that the case or they made it CGI because its cell ?, they always said how it was painful to draw all those spots
The CGI was mostly because of a lack of animation staff with the OP movie. I'd imagine it's just a brief detour like the couple of OP 3D movies. And especially since this movie doesn't seem to be starting off too hot in theaters
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:15 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:45 pm

The CGI was mostly because of a lack of animation staff with the OP movie. I'd imagine it's just a brief detour like the couple of OP 3D movies. And especially since this movie doesn't seem to be starting off too hot in theaters
There was only one CGI One Piece movie and it was only 30 minutes. That and Toei has been trying to make a full-fledge CGI movie for years.

That and the lack of staff for the One Piece movie doesn't really pan out given how long Toriyama did the script. It was right after Broly.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:18 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:45 pm

Not only Op movie, slam dunk and also kitaro movie.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:31 pm

I watched the movie, camrip of course with lousy or missing English subtitles so the experience is not the same as going to the cinema to see it (which I still will do) so I thought I'd share my general thoughts.

...I liked it. The animation....it was kind of here and there at points I thought, in general it was fine, I don't have a big problem with it. Some characters did look hand drawn but then at other times it did look a bit...off. Beerus, Whis, Orange Piccolo and a few other things did look video gamey. I would definitely have preferred it being done the traditional way for sure.

Action wise....I don't know if it was maybe the weakest? There was nothing that wowed me. Nothing that particularly stood out. I rewatched Super Saiyan God Goku vs Beerus many times after that movie came out. Rewatched the Z Fighter vs Frieza's army a few times. When it comes to Broly I still watch the fight scenes from that film every now and then. There was nothing in this movie I would do that with.

It just didn't have the same intensity, largely because the music also didn't stand out at all. All the other movies had some good music in there but not this one. It wasn't bad, I'd probably put it on the level of the fights with Golden Frieza but nothing special.

Story wise. It could be the best maybe? It was by no means great but at least it had a proper beginning, middle and end unlike Battle of Gods or like Broly where only the first half of it had any kind of plot. It expanded on some thing from the past while introducing some things that were new which Resurrection F didn't do.

As far as some other random things that come to mind...

What really surprised me was that this was Piccolo's movie. Not Gohan's movie or Gohan and Piccolo's movie. Piccolo was the main character of this film without a doubt. I'm glad they did something with him finally.

I was also surprised that Cell Max was in there as long as he was. I expected like under 10 minutes but it was more. I can appreciate that they wanted to do something different with the villain this time around but no I wasn't a fan. They should have just brought out a Red Perfect Cell, yes it would be more unoriginal but I'd have preferred that over Giant Kaiju brainless Semi Perfect Cell who is entirely forgettable.

I thought Goku and Vegeta were gonna be in it more. I'm not disappointed that they weren't but man what a complete waste of having Broly. Four years of doing nothing with such a highly popular character and they bring him in for what? To power up and then spend the rest of the movie sitting down?

You're gonna have a Broly movie make over $120 million worldwide and then bring the character back after 4 years and not at least make him a part of the fight scene with Goku and Vegeta? What on earth is that about?

Overall I'd give it a 7/10. It was fun and a bit different from the norm though that is probably what's hurt it at the box office. I'd say it was better than Battle of Gods because that movies middle let it down. Definitely nowhere near as good as Broly. May possibly be better than Resurrection F but I did not prefer it to it.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:38 pm

ADMINISTRATIVE REMINDER:
Forum Rules wrote:Rule #4: Bootlegging & Piracy

It can be hard to believe in the modern age, but Dragon Ball had a very rough journey in various countries. We are finally at the point where we can legally acquire many of the things we want to support our fandom. We recognize that there is a fine line with regard to things such as “unreleased” and comparatively-ancient material, so just be wary and respectful of that line. Discussions about and direct links to actively-pirating material (including scanlation and video downloads) is not just frowned upon, but will potentially result in strikes against your account and removal from the rest of the discussion. As a very general rule, examples and short samples are fine, while files that replace a piece of work in their entirety are not.
VegettoEX wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:13 am So as a follow-up to my previous administrative recommendation/request post:

Let's remember that nothing changes with regard to the overall community guidelines here. Active piracy and discussion that encourages or otherwise enables piracy is grounds for account termination.

What you do elsewhere and on your own time is your thing and your thing alone, but we don't need to hear about it or help you do anything any particular way.
This is the final free warning on this issue.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:56 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:54 am was that the case or they made it CGI because its cell ?, they always said how it was painful to draw all those spots
I don't think that contributed, although it certainly saved animators some headache. If it was really an issue, CELL MAX could've just not had spots. There are a few appeals of 3D animation. It is thought to be more popular among youngsters. And while it costs more money up front (building all the assets), it saves money in the long term (requires less staff, etc.). Now that they've built all of that and established an effective style/method, I can't see them just dropping it, especially when it looks as good as it does.
Michsi wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:14 pm I think the reason he sounds so enthusiastic is because this movie, more than any other, contains many of his favorite elements.
That's definitely the case, but he seems particularly happy with the animation. While Toriyama always compliments the hard work of the staff, I've gotten the sense that he's just not much of a fan of Toei's animation. He isn't really inspired by anime in general, and instead points to live action movies and classic Disney (which is obviously a much higher standard of animation compared to Toei). He especially appears to care about consistency of quality.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:03 pm

I don't see in his comments a particular endorsement for the 3D to assume that, as far as he's concerned, future projects would take this route.

He definitely enjoyed the final product, that's pretty clear.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:06 pm

I wasn't expecting Piccolo

Goten and Trunks

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:36 pm

I'm glad that Freeza didn't have a major role in the film seeing that he won't work well in the story. Seeing him react to Cell X would be cool though considering Cell Max probably has some of his cells inside of him.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:06 pm

I think he's so enthousiastic is because he got an easy paycheck by recycling a few old concepts and squishing them together. And I don't blame him. He worked hard on the original series so taking it easy now isn't a bad idea.

I'm curious to see how this movie will do in the US considering a lot of it is spoiled and there really isn't any exciting animation like Broly's to lure people in.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:59 pm

Jord wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:06 pmI think he's so enthousiastic is because he got an easy paycheck by recycling a few old concepts and squishing them together.
Oh, please. By that logic, how is this movie any different from the previous three?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:09 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:59 pm
Jord wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:06 pmI think he's so enthousiastic is because he got an easy paycheck by recycling a few old concepts and squishing them together.
Oh, please. By that logic, how is this movie any different from the previous three?
BoG definitely didn’t recycle old concepts. That was new territory for the franchise. Ironically, if Toriyama hadn’t gotten involved, the movie would’ve very much come off like a retread.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:39 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:09 pm
BoG definitely didn’t recycle old concepts. That was new territory for the franchise. Ironically, if Toriyama hadn’t gotten involved, the movie would’ve very much come off like a retread.
The entire Super Saiyan God ritual was recycled from GT. And the Z-Fighters having a get to gather that got crashed by someone connected to Frieza was taking straight from the TV Special Son Goku Returns.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:14 pm

HeroR wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:39 pm

The entire Super Saiyan God ritual was recycled from GT. And the Z-Fighters having a get to gather that got crashed by someone connected to Frieza was taking straight from the TV Special Son Goku Returns.
GT has characters transferring their power to Goku. The Super Saiyan God ritual is only loosely similar to that. Plus, the Super Saiyan God transformation ultimately fails to defeat the villain, which marks a clear subversion. Also, I seriously doubt that they were specifically thinking about the 2008 special with BoG. They just wanted an excuse to have the Dragon Team get together.

BoG is easily the most original of the post-revival movies, and the one that’s the least reliant on reminding people of the past.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:27 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:14 pm

GT has characters transferring their power to Goku. The Super Saiyan God ritual is only loosely similar to that. Plus, the Super Saiyan God transformation ultimately fails to defeat the villain, which marks a clear subversion. Also, I seriously doubt that they were specifically thinking about the 2008 special with BoG. They just wanted an excuse to have the Dragon Team get together.

BoG is easily the most original of the post-revival movies, and the one that’s the least reliant on reminding people of the past.
Not the point. The point was everyone giving Goku power to get a new form was literally done in GT. And it losing isn’t original either since Full Power Super Saiyan 4 Goku failed to kill Omega.

“Also, I seriously doubt that they were specifically thinking about the 2008 special with BoG. They just wanted an excuse to have the Dragon Team get together.”

Still the same premise. Everyone gets together after a big separation only for the Earth to be randomly put endangered by someone loosely connected to Frieza. It was to the point that people pointed out the similarities before the movie even came out.

Battle of Gods is the most original, but saying it had no recycled ideas is simply not true.
Kanassa wrote:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:43 pm

HeroR wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:27 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:14 pm

Not the point. The point was everyone giving Goku power to get a new form was literally done in GT. And it losing isn’t original either since Full Power Super Saiyan 4 Goku failed to kill Omega.

“Also, I seriously doubt that they were specifically thinking about the 2008 special with BoG. They just wanted an excuse to have the Dragon Team get together.”

Still the same premise. Everyone gets together after a big separation only for the Earth to be randomly put endangered by someone loosely connected to Frieza. It was to the point that people pointed out the similarities before the movie even came out.

Battle of Gods is the most original, but saying it had no recycled ideas is simply not true.
Super Saiyan God is a completely different concept from Super Saiyan 4. Saying that they recycled that from GT is greatly oversimplifying things. GT wasn’t even the originator of the idea of the characters sharing their power with someone else. Even ignoring the Genki Dama, the Freeza arc also used that concept, as did Movies 4 and 8.

Also, saying that Beerus is “loosely connected to Freeza” is a stretch. Abo and Kado are people who formerly worked for Freeza. Beerus isn’t like that. The basic premise of the Dragon Team having a reunion that gets abruptly interrupted by the villains is shared between both BoG and the Jump special, but they take very different directions.