Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Accountant
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by The Accountant » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:08 pm

I really enjoyed the recap they did for the opening montage. The opening credits as well. I just felt that it had so much style.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:22 pm

I believe Toriyama is enthusiastic about this movie because unlike the movie Broly, this movie is not 100% fanservice, yes it has the fanservice, but unlike Broly, Super Hero has a lot more of a Toriyama feel in the humor/slice of life parts that Broly lacked, some of this movie parts have a feel of Dr. Slump or early Dragon Ball in it, and because of that, I can believe he liked this movie genuinely, because you can feel he did a lot of what he wanted (a side of the required fanservice).

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:30 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:22 pm I believe Toriyama is enthusiastic about this movie because unlike the movie Broly, this movie is not 100% fanservice, yes it has the fanservice, but unlike Broly, Super Hero has a lot more of a Toriyama feel in the humor/slice of life parts that Broly lacked, some of this movie parts have a feel of Dr. Slump or early Dragon Ball in it, and because of that, I can believe he liked this movie genuinely, because you can feel he did a lot of what he wanted (a side of the required fanservice).
Yeah. It kinda has that early Dragon Ball feel where it was a mix between serious fights and some comedy with an ensemble cast interacting. It felt like the old schoold Dragon Team only a modern version with Gohan, Piccolo, Bulma, 18, Trunks, Goten, Kuriren. Also I liked that the villains were layered. It wasn't just one big bad guy. It was an organization with a head of everything, his assistant, his head evil scientist, the two Androids, and then the big monster in the basement. Felt like a Red Ribbon type story in that regard.

I get the sense that Toriyama actually liked the type of story more but the power creep of the series overtook him and he found it harder and harder to not just ignore most people except the Saiyans.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:41 pm

lancerman wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:30 pm I get the sense that Toriyama actually liked the type of story more but the power creep of the series overtook him and he found it harder and harder to not just ignore most people except the Saiyans.
I think you can tell when a creator enjoys what they're working on, and when they're burnt out, cashing in or going through the motions. I felt like he really had a vision for Battle of Gods and enjoyed making it, and I'm excited that that looks to be the case with Super Hero again. I'm so glad it seems like his movie is a success (creatively, I don't give a fuck about box office totals).

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:51 pm

Liked the new
Kubota's interview
. This part in particular:
Any message for the viewers?

Back when I was reading Dragon Ball in Weekly Jump, there was both the manga and the anime. One of the reasons I first aspired to become an animator was that I was in awe of the fact there were professional adults who were able to take this great Dragon Ball manga and turn it into an anime for us kids. From the performers to the writers to the artists, I deeply admired everyone involved in production and the final animation made up of all of their work. This time, I feel like it’s my turn. I owe it to everyone to pay back the excitement that Dragon Ball gave me back then. That’s the attitude with which I went into my work.
Not only he's a big DB fan, but he's also talented and motivated to keep working on it. That's the kinda of people I want to be working on this franchise.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

GatoF
Beyond Newbie

Post by GatoF » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:58 pm

Toriyama has finally given his favorite character the protagonism he deserves.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:43 pm

lancerman wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:30 pm
YamiGoku wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:22 pm I believe Toriyama is enthusiastic about this movie because unlike the movie Broly, this movie is not 100% fanservice, yes it has the fanservice, but unlike Broly, Super Hero has a lot more of a Toriyama feel in the humor/slice of life parts that Broly lacked, some of this movie parts have a feel of Dr. Slump or early Dragon Ball in it, and because of that, I can believe he liked this movie genuinely, because you can feel he did a lot of what he wanted (a side of the required fanservice).
Yeah. It kinda has that early Dragon Ball feel where it was a mix between serious fights and some comedy with an ensemble cast interacting. It felt like the old schoold Dragon Team only a modern version with Gohan, Piccolo, Bulma, 18, Trunks, Goten, Kuriren. Also I liked that the villains were layered. It wasn't just one big bad guy. It was an organization with a head of everything, his assistant, his head evil scientist, the two Androids, and then the big monster in the basement. Felt like a Red Ribbon type story in that regard.

I get the sense that Toriyama actually liked the type of story more but the power creep of the series overtook him and he found it harder and harder to not just ignore most people except the Saiyans.
It's sounding like this is a film for fans of Pre-Z Dragon Ball.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:40 am

Majin Buu wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:43 pm
lancerman wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:30 pm

It's sounding like this is a film for fans of Pre-Z Dragon Ball.
This movie had a clear beginning, middle, and end. You don’t have to watch Super to understand the plot of this film. So yes, I agree.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

wertham

Post by wertham » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:35 am

Seems like this movie is more Toriyama-service than fan-service. I'm ok with that :lol:

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:52 am

You guys are disrespectful

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:49 am

So about the Pan being unable to fly thing...
Some people say she forgot, but I don't buy this explanation. She was shown flying pretty much all the time in DBS anime, meanwhile not even once in the manga.

I believe it's just the case of Toriyama not being aware that Toei already gave her the ability as a baby, since he obviously didn't watch all the episodes. And Toei just went with it in the movie without any objections :lol:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:15 am

From Herms:

Another Q&A with DBS:SH executive producer Akio Iyoku:

Q: Tell us about making Gohan and Piccolo the leads for this film.
A: Actually, Toriyama-sensei’s original idea was for just Piccolo to be the lead, but I pushed for Gohan, so the two of them ended up as co-stars.

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1536 ... EESk3crkZg
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:42 am

HeroR wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:15 am From Herms:

A: Actually, Toriyama-sensei’s original idea was for just Piccolo to be the lead, but I pushed for Gohan, so the two of them ended up as co-stars.

Damn, as much as I love Gohan, I would've loved to see Piccolo handle a movie all on his own. Eh, I suppose he wouldn't have been able to carry the movie alone. Gotta have a saiyan :D

People seem to say he is pretty much the main character so that has me vibrating with anticipation. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought he'd get this treatment

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:09 am

Michsi wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:42 am

Damn, as much as I love Gohan, I would've loved to see Piccolo handle a movie all on his own. Eh, I suppose he wouldn't have been able to carry the movie alone. Gotta have a saiyan :D

People seem to say he is pretty much the main character so that has me vibrating with anticipation. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought he'd get this treatment
He is the main character, he has the most screen time and lines while being the driving force of the plot.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:13 am

omaro34 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:09 am
He is the main character, he has the most screen time and lines while being the driving force of the plot.
I can't believe this is real.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:24 am

So Big Green was supposed to be the MC solo but honestly Gohan being in makes sense Piccolo himself carrying the movie wouldn't do mad numbers at the box office

So him and Gohan together would

Oh well can't be mad Piccolo got a W in the Film

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:40 am

He's an audience PoV character but Gohan is still integral to the plot and without him the movie would be completely different. A lot of Piccolo's role is there to hype up Gohan. The RRA was always going to kidnap Pan to lure Gohan into conflict regardless of Piccolo observing that conversation or not. As the producer said, they are both leads.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:48 am

Kagari wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:40 am

He's an audience PoV character but Gohan is still integral to the plot and without him the movie would be completely different. A lot of Piccolo's role is there to hype up Gohan. The RRA was always going to kidnap Pan to lure Gohan into conflict regardless of Piccolo observing that conversation or not. As the producer said, they are both leads.
I know folks are gonna be like "the film was supposed to be about namekian book of legends or some other shit" even though nothing even suggest that

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:49 am

Block88 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:48 am
I know folks are gonna be like "the film was supposed to be about namekian book of legends or some other shit" even though nothing even suggest that
Lol, perhaps someday... just not today.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:57 am

I don't know how to feel about that now that I know he wasn't supposed to be in it originally. Piccolo hyping up Gohan comes with the territory once Gohan is involved because of the nature of their relationship but I like that for once the focus is on the teacher rather than the student.

Still, can help but think Piccolo's 2nd transformation would've been given the final blow against the villain if he'd been alone. Oh well, c'est la vie