Dragon Ball Super: All DB and DBZ flashback scenes

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Goku1085

Dragon Ball Super: All DB and DBZ flashback scenes

Post by Goku1085 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:17 am

I know it's a really difficult one, but could anyone who owns all 131 episodes of Super thoroughly check them out and make a comprehensive list of every single scene that is taken directly from the OG DB or DBZ (not the reanimated ones as I'm looking for the original scenes) and its corresponding episode here?

For example, the very first episode of Super starts off with the fight with Kid Buu. The second episode shows a brief scene with Vegeta training with Kid Trunks during the Buu Saga etc.

It will really speed things up if anyone can help out as an acquaintance of mine has a color correction plan for those scenes. Please be thorough as the Resurrection F saga has some very brief ones. Thank you very much and any help is greatly appreciate!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: All DB and DBZ flashback scenes

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:23 pm

Not a single scene of the original Dragon Ball was used. Those were all redrawn and reanimated from the ground up.

I'm guessing all the Z stuff came from Kai's remastering

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:44 pm

Yeah, it does seem that the Z footage is taken from Kai.

You're doing this for color correction, but if memory serves, aren't those scene stripped of colors, with a sepia tone completely removing them or at least making them look extremely desaturated to have that "flashback effect" on purpose?

I'm not sure it's going to be useful, but I might be wrong, maybe some of them have their full colors, which are going to be Kai colors basically as the pictures are apparently taken straight from it. It makes sense since they are already remastered and widescreen-calibrated, which takes away extra work compared to them taking base footage from Z.

So yeah, I think there's nothing from the original DB or Z. If it's not completely reanimated, it's from Kai and not always (even "rarely"?) with the colors left intact. Might be wrong though, I'm only using my memory here!

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:32 am

Episode 61 has a flashback to DBZ when Trunks killed Frieza, gave the antidote to Goku, and killed the Androids, however it is stripped of colour:

https://youtu.be/cV8pEftZcr4?t=48

Goku1085

Post by Goku1085 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:38 pm

So sorry for the late replies! I'll reply to each of the questions individually as best as I can.
Last edited by Goku1085 on Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goku1085

Post by Goku1085 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:40 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:23 pm Not a single scene of the original Dragon Ball was used. Those were all redrawn and reanimated from the ground up.

I'm guessing all the Z stuff came from Kai's remastering
Yeah, you are right! All of the original scenes are from Kai/Z.

Goku1085

Post by Goku1085 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:42 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:44 pm Yeah, it does seem that the Z footage is taken from Kai.

You're doing this for color correction, but if memory serves, aren't those scene stripped of colors, with a sepia tone completely removing them or at least making them look extremely desaturated to have that "flashback effect" on purpose?

I'm not sure it's going to be useful, but I might be wrong, maybe some of them have their full colors, which are going to be Kai colors basically as the pictures are apparently taken straight from it. It makes sense since they are already remastered and widescreen-calibrated, which takes away extra work compared to them taking base footage from Z.

So yeah, I think there's nothing from the original DB or Z. If it's not completely reanimated, it's from Kai and not always (even "rarely"?) with the colors left intact. Might be wrong though, I'm only using my memory here!
You might be right! Most if not all the Z scenes are taken from Kai. Some are taken directly from Kai 1.0 and 2.0 (these ones have the green tint that need color correction) while others are grey-ish reminiscing flashbacks. Even so, my friend wants a comprehensive list of every single directly Kai/Z scene so he can examine it and decide if it needs white balancing and color correction. We really need to perfect any inconsistencies for an archive worthy release.

Goku1085

Post by Goku1085 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:46 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:32 am Episode 61 has a flashback to DBZ when Trunks killed Frieza, gave the antidote to Goku, and killed the Androids, however it is stripped of colour:

https://youtu.be/cV8pEftZcr4?t=48
Excellent find! Thank you! If you had all 131 episodes, do you think you could pinpoint me to all the Kai/Z original scenes no matter if they have color or not (not redrawn/reanimated ones)?

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:39 am

As far as i remember only the flashbacks with Trunks were the ones without color (to hide the fact he didnt had blue hair back then). Flashbacks without Trunks had colors (mostly with a filter, tho).
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/