Great Ape Fist

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FeatsofPower
Not-So-Newbie

Great Ape Fist

Post by FeatsofPower » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:50 pm

I just noticed this the other day, but I think that Goku is literally tapping into his Great Ape power when he does this punch against Piccolo Daimao and Mr. Popo. I think Goku is as powerful as his Oozaru form here, what do you guys think?

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Great Ape Fist

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:42 pm

Come to think of it, it might actually be something similar to Broly’s Ikari form. Both are tapping into Oozaru power, difference being that Goku probably needs his tail while Broly developed it because he lost his.

This also adds a lot to Mr. Popo’s line about Goku having incredible power but not using it well. It’s not just a throwaway line about skill, Goku genuinely has a ton of power he can only draw with this one special attack. This power probably got “absorbed” into his normal one as he lost his tail and trained his Ki.

I dare to say Goku using Oozaru power is definitely what Toriyama had in mind, the imagery on the scenes says it all. Of course, this doesn’t mesh well with power levels, but neither them nor the actual Oozaru multiplier existed back then anyway. First time Oozaru was ever explained had Raditz calling it a Saiyan’s “true power”, which fits with the potential unlock of the Choushinsui.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:23 am

I don't think we need to complicate things by associating Goku's punch with Broly's Ikari form, especially since the latter was introduced like 30 years after. The Oozaru behind Goku is likely just a visual metaphor that Goku was giving it his all by his own cognizance and desire to win. Oozaru up to that point was just a monster that Goku would transform into and lose control of; unable to effectively put his power towards any meaningful goal since he had no mind or aspirations in that state. I view it more as Goku conquering the unpredictable beast of Oozaru and finally showing what all he could do when he truly wanted to. The Saiyan stuff all came later.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:06 am

theherodjl said it best. Oozaru was just a visual indicator to show that Goku was putting everything he had into the attack and it was a nice homage to everything Goku had to overcome leading up to his win against Piccolo. You're overthinking this.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:03 am

Yup, I think that, if you just read the chapter ignoring future developments, at that point the Super Divine Water was clearly meant to have released its Oozaru power, and he used it on that fist. (independently of whether or not it was retconed, or if it was his present Oozaru for good or just his Oozaru power at that particular time as a kid).