How would the Dragon Ball fandom react if Jiren were made into a gay man?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: How would the Dragon Ball fandom react if Jiren were made into a gay man?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:10 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:04 pmDon't tell me you're assuming you think he finds her unattractive because she's fat. That'd be fatphobic of you.
I mean she's not bad-looking. She's just really fat.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DiloVortexx
Not-So-Newbie
Location: hehe dromaeosaurids,, (icon drawn by @/FeralWolf1234)

Post by DiloVortexx » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:12 pm

alright i think its time i quit debating w/ mr xenomorph sex guy (I'M SORRY I'M JOKING AJSKSFJKSJ) because at this point i'm pretty much repeating my points and getting even more insanely in depth into my neurodivergent world view abt why fatphobia,
and homophobia is fucked up and cringe + its dragging on this conversation even longer and longer into the off topic zone so yeah LOL i think i've said basically all i've needed to say on THAT front of this discussion :thumbup:

sorry I've dragged it out for this long fellas just i needed to flex my weird ultra ego omega instinct opinions on this forum /SILLY JOKE
but yes my opinion on the main topic of the thread again is gay fucking rights and more masc gay rep in fiction would be appreciated ngl ♥ bonus points if they're bi and/or pan too tho!!! like hell yea go off.. OR IF they're POLYAM??? CHEERS I DRINK TO THAT TOO BRO (coming from me who is poly)

really any positive queer rep my beloved,, like i do wish we had more transmasc rep tbh
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:10 pm I mean she's not bad-looking. She's just really fat.
nothing wrong with them (me who likes referring to fusions by both their main pronouns and they/them lol) being chubby at all tho even if its exaggerated in the art style i still like them
kinda for the same reason i love bonyu's design??? idk, i can reclaim a design originally made to be mocked by other characters and be like "yeah this character is pretty i like them : D"

EDIT:
i'm going to eat my dyslexia for quick brb + added another reply bc i dont like making double posts bc i know a lotta forums angy about that
Dilo/Volt/Kareol/Zhadio -- Demiromantic pansexual demiboy (transmasc non-binary; goes by he/him, they/them, xe/xem/xyrs and raptorself pronouns!! to see more of my preferences regarding gender, sexuality and pronouns, click here!

dilo is pronounced dye - low, kareol is pronounced kah - rey - ohl (like bowl) and zhadio is pronounced zah - dee - ohh for those who may have trouble pronouncing my names! ^^")

autistic digital artist who likes drawing creatures and monsters and also they really like dragon ball lol (i may post dragon ball related oc art as well.. cuz i've done that a few times)
since i'm used to the lgbtq+ focused side of the fandom, those are usually the kind of topics youll see me post in if any of those pop up : o bc i have a pretty queer reading of the series ^^"

oh, you don't know what neopronouns are all about? well, have a resource for that!!
want to know how to use tone indicators to help out neurodivergent people to understand your words better? click here!

if you see me randomly type a bunch of letters like SDHFJFJGHD, thats just a thing in the lgbtq+ community called keysmashing which is usually used to show someone is laughing (either nervously or bluntly and so on and so forth)
if you need any help learning about lgbtq+ terms and such, feel free to ask! i will try my best to help out ^^

goten and trunks are gay and trans ♥

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:22 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:10 pmI mean she's not bad-looking. She's just really fat.
She is bad looking. She near enough has Yunba's face. It's Yunba with makeup and a wig on.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:25 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:22 pm
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:10 pmI mean she's not bad-looking. She's just really fat.
She is bad looking. She near enough has Yunba's face. It's Yunba with makeup and a wig on.
One man's visual horror is another man's wank-fodder. Takes all kinds.

No but for real though: this you?

http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:29 pm

That dude just looks mental.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DiloVortexx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DiloVortexx » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:33 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:25 pm
One man's visual horror is another man's wank-fodder. Takes all kinds.
KUNZAIT PLEASE :lol: /LH and i mean yeah can confirm this for multiple things (ALSO LMAOOO THE FUCKING EDIT YOU DID.. also side note that person is super pretty (idk their pronouns sorry pls do correct me accordingly i appreciate the help /genuine ♥)

but yeah uhhh meanwhile i'm over here who thinks both her and yunba's designs are cute (yunba's outfit kinda reminds me of a bear so thats probably one reason why) because I'm not judgemental about peoples appearances (unless u wish to judge me or my friends first then i can be a chaotic little demon shit towards you because well.. you started it : 3)
+ big woman who could probably step on me? yeah thats an appeal to people too :oops:
Last edited by DiloVortexx on Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dilo/Volt/Kareol/Zhadio -- Demiromantic pansexual demiboy (transmasc non-binary; goes by he/him, they/them, xe/xem/xyrs and raptorself pronouns!! to see more of my preferences regarding gender, sexuality and pronouns, click here!

dilo is pronounced dye - low, kareol is pronounced kah - rey - ohl (like bowl) and zhadio is pronounced zah - dee - ohh for those who may have trouble pronouncing my names! ^^")

autistic digital artist who likes drawing creatures and monsters and also they really like dragon ball lol (i may post dragon ball related oc art as well.. cuz i've done that a few times)
since i'm used to the lgbtq+ focused side of the fandom, those are usually the kind of topics youll see me post in if any of those pop up : o bc i have a pretty queer reading of the series ^^"

oh, you don't know what neopronouns are all about? well, have a resource for that!!
want to know how to use tone indicators to help out neurodivergent people to understand your words better? click here!

if you see me randomly type a bunch of letters like SDHFJFJGHD, thats just a thing in the lgbtq+ community called keysmashing which is usually used to show someone is laughing (either nervously or bluntly and so on and so forth)
if you need any help learning about lgbtq+ terms and such, feel free to ask! i will try my best to help out ^^

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:36 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:25 pmNo but for real though: this you?

No. I've never done any modelling in my life.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:37 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:36 pmNo. I've never done any modelling in my life.
Y'know what? Touche. :lol:

Still never answered my initial questions though.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:54 pm

As someone who has a ton of men in her DMs and who has actually gotten paid for Stuff before I find the "nobody likes fat women" thing just utterly hilarious.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:15 am

Reminds me of early Dragon Ball, in which Goku accidentaly brought that fat woman to Roshi as part of his test.

DiloVortexx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DiloVortexx » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:45 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:54 pm As someone who has a ton of men in her DMs and who has actually gotten paid for Stuff before I find the "nobody likes fat women" thing just utterly hilarious.
YEAH LITERALLY because like idk about some of yall but... theres literally millions of people out there who love fat people in romantic and sexual contexts (whether its for a fetish, find people of all body types beautiful (like me) or similar) so people who say "oh nobody likes or loves fat people uwu" is like.. have yall ever looked at history and the modern world? probably havent ngl but yknow..

anyways yea fat people regardless of gender are beautiful and people who hate on them may get me mallet : 3
Jord wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:15 am Reminds me of early Dragon Ball, in which Goku accidentaly brought that fat woman to Roshi as part of his test.
young gokû saw no difference with other body types "being bad" there so i cant blame him for thinking roshi would find her pretty lol + i mean makes a lot more sense if you headcanon him as demiromantic/aromantic LOL
i mean why would you think otherwise as an alien kid whos grown up in the wilderness ur whole life and only meeting one other human, blooma and then finally starting to learn what human civilization is like after knowing only your grandpa gohan for so long lol

EDIT: i know i used lol 3 times there AJSKDJSDKFJ i didnt notice and yknow what I'm keeping it because I'm still getting my point across and ngl i dont give a fuck its just an expression through text :thumbup:

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:06 pm

DiloVortexx wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:45 am
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:54 pm As someone who has a ton of men in her DMs and who has actually gotten paid for Stuff before I find the "nobody likes fat women" thing just utterly hilarious.
YEAH LITERALLY because like idk about some of yall but... theres literally millions of people out there who love fat people in romantic and sexual contexts (whether its for a fetish, find people of all body types beautiful (like me) or similar) so people who say "oh nobody likes or loves fat people uwu" is like.. have yall ever looked at history and the modern world? probably havent ngl but yknow..
For real. I don't know about anyone else, I'm praying for a "Massive vol. 2" from fantagraphics for more of those beefy, fat hot men..

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:10 pm

I feel like this thread is really going to show how the reluctance of fans (and the Toriyama-penned works) to explore outside of their own comfort-zones is really painting an untrue portrait of the world. The last few posts alone have really underscored that to me, I think. This is why we have these threads.
She/Her
bisexual milf

DiloVortexx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DiloVortexx » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:03 pm

Brodes wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:06 pm For real. I don't know about anyone else, I'm praying for a "Massive vol. 2" from fantagraphics for more of those beefy, fat hot men..
SDFJKSHDFJ yknow what thats hella valid and the body type of muscly but with some chubbiness too? cheers i drink to that too bro
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:10 pm I feel like this thread is really going to show how the reluctance of fans (and the Toriyama-penned works) to explore outside of their own comfort-zones is really painting an untrue portrait of the world. The last few posts alone have really underscored that to me, I think. This is why we have these threads.
yep!! really shows how much blind hatred some people in this world can possess... its sad really. but i'm just glad thats hopefully over now and we can go back to dragon ball lgbtq+ headcanonning: the thread (or whatever else topics to discuss here or elsewhere LOL)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:27 pm

DiloVortexx wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:03 pm
Brodes wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:06 pm For real. I don't know about anyone else, I'm praying for a "Massive vol. 2" from fantagraphics for more of those beefy, fat hot men..
SDFJKSHDFJ yknow what thats hella valid and the body type of muscly but with some chubbiness too? cheers i drink to that too bro
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:10 pm I feel like this thread is really going to show how the reluctance of fans (and the Toriyama-penned works) to explore outside of their own comfort-zones is really painting an untrue portrait of the world. The last few posts alone have really underscored that to me, I think. This is why we have these threads.
yep!! really shows how much blind hatred some people in this world can possess... its sad really. but i'm just glad thats hopefully over now and we can go back to dragon ball lgbtq+ headcanonning: the thread (or whatever else topics to discuss here or elsewhere LOL)
Everyone who isn't rigidly defined as a queer sexuality or romanticism is bisexual! :p
She/Her
bisexual milf

DiloVortexx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DiloVortexx » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:50 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:10 pm Everyone who isn't rigidly defined as a queer sexuality or romanticism is bisexual! :p
i mean just look at other animals they're mostly naturally bisexual why cant these characters be hehe

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:37 pm

How the fandom would react:

In anime community in general there's a lot of racism, sexism, elitism, homophobia, and more. So I think the fandom would see it as "pandering"(Even though pandering do exist but people overuse the word heavily). Would also make a lot of memes that would hide distasteful statements as jokes. An example of this is the Black Freeza jokes from Non Black DB fans. It's funny when your own community make the joke but outsiders tend to take it too far. I don't think it would be well recieved especially since Jiren himself isn't well recieved.

How I would react:

I would not care honestly. Why? Jiren in my opinion is a boring character. Nigga got the personality of a pencil and the origin story straight outta 1930s. Making him into a gay man would not change that nor would that add layers to his character as Dragon Ball isn't that type of series where that matters anyways.
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

Nagyzöld
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nagyzöld » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:36 am

Have the bunch be in a threatening situation.
Then have Jiren teleport out of the blue, a totally changed man. With a male companion by his side.
"Sorry we're late. Please meet my spouse, Sergey (or whatever name)! We've come to aid you."
The whole gang, except for Goku, gasps loudly. "S-spouse? We didn't know you were into men, Jiren." , says, idk, Krillin.
Goku stands there completely clueless. "Huh? Why do you guys look so surprised? That's a bit rude."
Krillin tries to whisper to Goku: "Ahem, Goku, because men usually like women".
"EH?! Are you serious? But when I was training on Planet Xyz, some guys did some stuff to me that only Chichi does."
The gang gasps even louder.

//there you go, inserted some gayness in a Dragon Ball-ish spirit

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:33 pm

Disregarding the over the top groping thing with Roshi, which kinda pissed me off actually, as I thought that Super's approach of treating Roshi's manners was nice step-up from his old lecherous self, I did understood the ''Oh, they are not cute now!'' after fusion as ''Damn, these girls got tough and serious and it will get ugly!''

But overall, past homophobic and ignorant comments, talking about beauty standards is a road to hell in that regard as well. What are beauty standards? Fashion industry with gay designers crafting clothes on women with a boy body standards? Forcing them on gruelling diets, with them having psychic problems resulting from it plus the consumers being faced with unreasonable beauty standards? Lot of them developing psychic issues and discomfort as well. Or women shoes, designed by men designers, that are not ergonomic at all...

All of these things are basically trends, trends change. Norms are shifting. We as consumers affect and should affect these norms.
Japan unfortunately is a bit behind in a social development in comparison to the west, which shows in sexist jokes still popping up, but, it also gets better. We will see where that goes, but we should each stand by and promote tollerance and open mind.
Anyone can live their lives however they want, if it doesn't hurt other human beings.

So again, instead of getting into interesting topics, we are basically stuck up with ''I have to fight this, because I don't/don't wanna get it. It's not normal!'' attitude.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:09 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:00 am
Aim wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:27 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:39 am

Bulma goes crazy over men and says she can't contol herself when she sees a hot guy

Oolong says he hates men (and penis) and only likes girls

Roshi constantly hits on and sexually harrasses women. He also request Goku and Kuririn find him a pichi pichi girl

Lanfang tries to distract Nam with her body

Kuririn tempts Roshi to train him with skin mags. He also laments about wanting to get married. He also cant deactivate 18 because she kissed him

Chi Chi decides since Goku kicked her in the vagina she has no choice but to be his wife

Bulma and Kuririn determine General Blue is gay because he was grossed out by her throwing herself at him.

Goku accidentally finds Murasaki's porn collection

Goku convinces Old Kaioshin to power up Gohan by promising him he can feel up Bulma.

I don't get where you and another user think sexuality just isn't a thing in Dragon Ball. It very much is.
These all happened quite a long time ago, Super has been more divorced from it I think with the exception of Roshi being a borderline rapist.
Except for Trunks crush on Mai, Bulma trying to desperately seduce Zamasu, Future Trunks and Future Mai's relationship, Gohan and Videl having a kid, Barry Kahn trying to come onto Videl, Kahn trying to make Gohan look like an adulter, Vegeta getting Bulma pregnant, Roshi wanting to buy dirty dvds.

I don't know why would you would move the goalpost and still be wrong.
That’s not what moving goalposts is. But I do agree now I that you bring up those examples, I didn’t actually even think of that, it’s scary how used to seeing it in other media that it just glazes over my mind.