Is Dragon Ball the biggest manga/anime series globally?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Re: Is Dragon Ball the biggest manga/anime series globally?

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:23 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:42 pmWhatever the case,
Ah, well nevertheless...

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:42 pmif Toriyama was actively trying to make the next Hokuto no Ken, we'd be seeing a lot more hyper masculine muscular men as shonen protagonists.
My dude... you've SEEN Dragon Ball before haven't you?

I swear, too many of you folks on this site in general keep confusing "blend of whimsical, kooky humor with face-bashing, bone-snapping kung fu" with "literally just the Japanese Carebears".

I should also add that because I have actual, living memory of following Dragon Ball during much of its original Japanese run in the early 90s, I remember well a time where there were a more than a few disgruntled Toriyama fans who got into him primarily through Dr. Slump in the 80s and while they were initially just as onboard with Dragon Ball in its beginnings, they had for some time by the time I had gotten into the series (circa the Cell arc) grown massively disenchanted with Dragon Ball the further it went on, specifically because of how much more violent and more purely martial arts focused it had become.

The overwhelmingly most common comparison that was cited with which DB was DIRECTLY compared against CONSTANTLY in this regard was... Fist of the North Star.

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:42 pmInstead Goku was a boy who grew into a man both physically and mentally as the story went along, which was fresh and original for the time.
Except... it wasn't? Protagonists aging across decades in a story is a narrative device that's literally as old as storytelling itself. Calling this "original" in the 1980s, much less citing freaking Dragon Ball as being one of the first (or even most popular) to do it is just... I don't have a nicer word for this other than ignorant.

Everything from Jane Eyre to David Copperfield have used the "follow the main character as they age from kid to adult across the story". Its not even new to freaking Wuxia, which have some of the oldest stories in the genre following characters across literal generations.

Guys... I know I'm a broken record with this stuff, but please, I'm begging you... read and watch things other than Shonen manga and anime (or children's media in general). If even just from time to time.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:59 pm

Most of my favorite works are art are outside of shounen so I definitely suggest partaking in other types of art, too. Your understanding of Dragon Ball will never be fully rounded out if you only consume Dragon Ball and works from JUMP.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:00 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:42 pm
Kunzait_83 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:32 pm
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:08 pmTorishima told Toriyama to go the battle manga route because the readership for Dragon Ball was declining. He never pointed to Hokuto no Ken specifically.

In fact, Toriyama went out of his way to subvert what HnK was doing.

Its literally been stated flat out directly by Torishima himself.

From Kazuhiko Torishima's own mouth wrote:M: Even so, how did you come up with the ideas behind organizing the story?

Torishima: I studied Fist of the North Star.

Matsuyama: Oh! Fist of the North Star?! That’s surprising.

Torishima: It was because the popularity of Dragon Ball had declined, so I had no choice but to study it. The most overwhelmingly popular series at the time was Fist of the North Star.

Matsuyama: That’s true, isn’t it?

Torishima: So I researched it and read up to 3 volumes of Fist of the North Star.

Matsuyama: What? To volume 3? Only up to that point?!

Torishima: You only need to read that much of Fist of the North Star to understand it. I didn’t care for it that much.

Matsuyama: Oh?! How can you say that?!

Torishima: Nah, it’s alright because it’s just my personal preference. I don’t like it. But Fist of the North Star was so popular at the time, so I read it carefully and studied it, and that’s how the future of Dragon Ball evolved. I decided the policies.
Whatever the case, if Toriyama was actively trying to make the next Hokuto no Ken, we'd be seeing a lot more hyper masculine muscular men as shonen protagonists.

Instead Goku was a boy who grew into a man both physically and mentally as the story went along, which was fresh and original for the time.

Shonen protagonists going from brolic manly men to skinny whimps was less Dragon Ball and more a bastardization of Yu Yu Hakusho's appeal to female readers.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:13 pm

The bishounen shounen leads are so cute. I really like the shift to various types of bodies beyond just copying the large-muscled look of Dragon Ball. I think it also adds a nice level of femininity to the male characters' looks—I just wish we could get that a big more in their writing, too. Character design has become more fervently coded these days so I can see how a creator wouldn't want to code their lead character as overtly masculine while saving that look for a character who is supposed to look tough.

Speaking as a fujoshi, I really like a variety of things, so either/or choice of design works for me so long as it's attractive.
She/Her
bisexual milf

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:07 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:00 pm
Whatever the case, if Toriyama was actively trying to make the next Hokuto no Ken, we'd be seeing a lot more hyper masculine muscular men as shonen protagonists.

Instead Goku was a boy who grew into a man both physically and mentally as the story went along, which was fresh and original for the time.

Shonen protagonists going from brolic manly men to skinny whimps was less Dragon Ball and more a bastardization of Yu Yu Hakusho's appeal to female readers.
Reach for the stars, my boy!

Goku's attitude is boyish well into adulthood. He becomes wiser and more perspective as the series goes along but his core personality never changes.

Saying Goku isn't the basic template for the shonen protagonist (crazy hair, boyish, heart of gold) is like saying the sky ain't blue.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:21 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:07 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:00 pm

Goku's attitude is boyish well into adulthood. He becomes wiser and more perspective as the series goes along but his core personality never changes.

Saying Goku isn't the basic template for the shonen protagonist (crazy hair, boyish, heart of gold) is like saying the sky ain't blue.
The Attitude yes, but the string bean look and general crybabiness of modern shonen protagonists is a concerted effort to drive female readership...and should be pretty obvious too. Don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure Jump folks are on record of saying that and specifically pointing to YYH
Cold World (Fanfic)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:42 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:21 pm The Attitude yes, but the string bean look and general crybabiness of modern shonen protagonists is a concerted effort to drive female readership...and should be pretty obvious too. Don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure Jump folks are on record of saying that and specifically pointing to YYH
Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Is describing characters that female fans like as 'crybabies' a term used by JUMP editorial? Where was this exact sentiment expressed by a JUMP editor (or I suppose it would be the translated text), if you don't mind me asking? Or did I misunderstand and you yourself are using the term 'crybabiness' to describe the kinds of characters female fans like? I apologize if my eyes glossed over some context I'm missing from the thread, I did a second cursory glance and I don't seem to be following where this is coming from.
She/Her
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:50 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:42 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:21 pm The Attitude yes, but the string bean look and general crybabiness of modern shonen protagonists is a concerted effort to drive female readership...and should be pretty obvious too. Don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure Jump folks are on record of saying that and specifically pointing to YYH
Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Is describing characters that female fans like as 'crybabies' a term used by JUMP editorial? Where was this exact sentiment expressed by a JUMP editor (or I suppose it would be the translated text), if you don't mind me asking? Or did I misunderstand and you yourself are using the term 'crybabiness' to describe the kinds of characters female fans like? I apologize if my eyes glossed over some context I'm missing from the thread, I did a second cursory glance and I don't seem to be following where this is coming from.
That's my own derision because in practice, the authors' ideas of what is vulnerable and "appealing to women" just end up being guys with the emotional stability of an 8 year old that I can't see being likeable to any demographic
Cold World (Fanfic)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:01 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:50 pm That's my own derision because in practice, the authors' ideas of what is vulnerable and "appealing to women" just end up being guys with the emotional stability of an 8 year old that I can't see being likeable to any demographic
But the appeals are working, aren't they? Or are you saying that the way the men are written is being done despite not helping to increase popularity? I'm a little confused by your argument considering how so many of these characters appear to be popular and fans take ownership of them through derivative fan works.

Edit: every time I read my post back it sounds so antagonistic and I swear I don't mean it that way.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
She/Her
bisexual milf

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:25 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:21 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:00 pm Image

The Attitude yes, but the string bean look and general crybabiness of modern shonen protagonists is a concerted effort to drive female readership...and should be pretty obvious too. Don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure Jump folks are on record of saying that and specifically pointing to YYH
Team Urameshi weren't crybabies at all. They may not have been buff but they weren't scrawny either. They were lean and in shape.

Yusuke is a delinquent who was mad at the world for his shitty home life, but is a good person at heart. His love for a good fight is also parallel to Goku's (dunno if DB influenced YYH in any way but I know it did HxH).

Kuwabara is very macho (obviously parodying the likiness of Kinnikuman and Hokuto no Ken as he's the weakest) and is a wannabe tough guy who's really a lover boy.

Kurama is mild-mannered but very cunning and calculating.

Hiei is stand-offish and arrogant.

You can argue it made bishonen characters more commonplace but you can't say the crybaby thing is on it.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:27 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:25 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:21 pm

Team Urameshi weren't crybabies at all. They may not have been buff but they weren't scrawny either. They were lean and in shape.

Yusuke is a delinquent who was mad at the world for his shitty home life, but is a good person at heart. His love for a good fight is also parallel to Goku's (dunno if DB influenced YYH in any way but I know it did HxH).

Kuwabara is very macho (obviously parodying the likiness of Kinnikuman and Hokuto no Ken as he's the weakest) and is a wannabe tough guy who's really a lover boy.

I should be more clear - they misinterpreted what worked about YYH, hence why I said bastardization. They saw that Yusuke and especially Kuramas more unconventional looks and the general pretty boy aesthetic and took it farther while missing the part where Yuskuke is a crass street thug.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:32 pm

straight women and gay men also go crazy over hiei, probably even more so then kurama.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:34 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:01 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:50 pm That's my own derision because in practice, the authors' ideas of what is vulnerable and "appealing to women" just end up being guys with the emotional stability of an 8 year old that I can't see being likeable to any demographic
But the appeals are working, aren't they? Or are you saying that the way the men are written is being done despite not helping to increase popularity? I'm a little confused by your argument considering how so many of these characters appear to be popular and fans take ownership of them through derivative fan works.

Edit: every time I read my post back it sounds so antagonistic and I swear I don't mean it that way.
They work, but I personally find the stories a lot worse and I think the more infantile characters boxes these stories into a younger demographic in a way that I don't think can be said about 80s/early 90s works.
Cold World (Fanfic)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:37 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:27 pm
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:25 pm

I should be more clear - they misinterpreted what worked about YYH, hence why I said bastardization. They saw that Yusuke and especially Kuramas more unconventional looks and the general pretty boy aesthetic and took it farther while missing the part where Yuskuke is a crass street thug.
I love Yuu Yuu Hakusho but I fail to understand how other series are to properly 'copy' it as well as what other series we're even supposed to be criticizing. Like, yeah I can point to a series like YYH and talk about all the things I love and want to see more of I'm other series but I don't how that is ultimately supposed to be a central argument when we're not even defining the thing we're saying is bad.

Yeah, Yuu Yuu Hakusho is great! There's also other modern shounen series I like and can talk about liking which have bishounen characters!
She/Her
bisexual milf

FinalPilaf

Post by FinalPilaf » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:12 am

The Pokémon anime is definitely the anime that have seen the largest exposure to the worlds population over the years. Pokémon as a franchise is a worldwide super phenomenon, in fact it can be described as THE worldwide super phenomenon based on revenue, and as such I can guarantee you that if you were to go to places like the poorest parts of Africa or the parts of the Middle East that is the most culturaly shut off from the rest of the world, if ANY anime is being shown on TV at all it's Pokémon.

But Dragon Ball Z is definitely right behind it in terms of this kind of exposure.

So yeah,

1. Pokémon

2. Dragon Ball Z (and to a lesser extent the other DB anime shows).

3. Who the hell knows... No other anime series have the same global reach. Naruto was huge in the west 15 years ago, but was it similarly huge in the rest of the world? Probably in parts, but I suspect not in all of it. One Piece is basically obscure outside of nerds like you and me to most of the worlds population. Doraemon is huge in India (and I think parts of South America?) but obscure in many other places such as here in Europe. Here in Europe meanwhile The Moomins are iconic, including it's 1990's anime adaption, and it is equally iconic in several other parts of the world (Russia, Israel) but obscure in others (North America). As far as sheer recognizability goes, I honestly suspect that the anime that comes after Pokémon and DBZ is Sailor Moon. Sailor Moon wasn't a huge thing in all of the world (notably it only did "meh" in North America in terms of ratings) but the character herself seem to have become an icon of anime as whole, and as such is highly recognizable. Like, you know that whenever a TV show wants to make a parody of anime but where you can tell that the people who wrote the show doesn't actually watch or know anything about anime, Pokémon, DBZ and Sailor Moon are the go-to refrence points. The Simpsons have mentioned or referenced Sailor Moon probably about four times if I remember correctly, while only referencing DBZ once. Futurama referenced Sailor Moon twice and DBZ never (again, if I remmeber correctly). But then again, name-dropping a series and making parodys of its main character is not exactly the same as the actual series being popular (after all, everybody in the world knows Casper the Friendly Ghost is but who the hell actually watches Casper cartoons anymore?).

So in conclusion... I don't think any other anime can truly stand with Pokémon and DBZ. They are in a league of their own. Oh but FUN FACT; here in Sweden Sailor Moon is in fact more famous than Dragon Ball. This is due to the simple fact that neither DBZ o nor any other DB series has EVER been shown on television. I feel like we're like the only country in the world that missed out on it, and it kinda pisses me of. Instead, by far the most famous anime shows in my country are Pokémon, The Moomins (those two are in a league of their on here) followed by Sailor Moon and Digimon. I think those are the only four anime shows shown on swedish television that were ever truly big back in their respective days (no, we never got Naruto either). Maybe also Yu-Gi-Oh and, among at least a very specific generation, Beyblade. Yeah.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:57 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:59 am Yes, it is the most mainstream. When someone thinks of "anime", they think of "Dragon Ball", the anime where people punch each other, scream a lot, and have yellow hair. No other anime is as iconic and recognizable as Dragon Ball.

By the way, One Piece is not more popular and iconic than Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball Super, a sequel/midquel of the original that, we can all agree, is less iconic than DBZ (since it's been around for only 7 years), overtook One Piece in terms of ratings:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/anime ... se-ratings
Here in Norway it's Pokémon that people think of. And they think all anime is like that. Or at least it used up be.
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:15 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:59 pm
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:48 pm Well, let's look at it this way:

When you become 80 and you try to school your grandkids on some Dragon Ball and Pokemon lore.

You talk about Goku vs. Frieza and the first Pokemon movie.

Which would do you think will impress them more?
Not....really...the point.

Nobody is trying to tell you Pokemon is as good or better than Dragon Ball. Just that it is by definition not a fad, when it has stayed financially successful and engrained in the pop culture subconscious.

Pokemon's popularity hasn't just made anime in general popular globally it's also made the anime industry stronger by giving animators room to grow.
It also made a lot of people shy away from anime because they were thinking all anime was like Pokémon.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:34 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:23 pmExcept... it wasn't? Protagonists aging across decades in a story is a narrative device that's literally as old as storytelling itself. Calling this "original" in the 1980s, much less citing freaking Dragon Ball as being one of the first (or even most popular) to do it is just... I don't have a nicer word for this other than ignorant.

Everything from Jane Eyre to David Copperfield have used the "follow the main character as they age from kid to adult across the story". Its not even new to freaking Wuxia, which have some of the oldest stories in the genre following characters across literal generations.

Guys... I know I'm a broken record with this stuff, but please, I'm begging you... read and watch things other than Shonen manga and anime (or children's media in general). If even just from time to time.
I could remembering wrong but wasn't there an interview with Toriyama about his editor being against Goku growing up? It's not a rare concept in fiction but I guess uncommon for shonen at the time since the protagonist usually keeps the same appearance throughout their series and doesn't age. It's like when Toriyama was told he'd fail if he went to space in a shonen manga. Or course going to space has been common in Sci-fi, comic books, etc for decades but I guess not that common in shonen up to that point.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:40 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:57 am It also made a lot of people shy away from anime because they were thinking all anime was like Pokémon.
Like I said, the Pokemon anime gets basically no respect nowadays (and rightfully so because it's garbage). Dragon Ball has its critics for sure (especially the debatably canon stuff) but since it influenced many of people's current favorites, it holds up well in recent memory.

It was probably more popular during the whole 'Pokemon craze' that infested 1999-2001 (?) but Dragon Ball has longevity on its side.

As for popularizing anime, DBZ definitely did more in that regard. The Pokemon anime was very in-line with how western cartoons were at the time while there was nothing like DBZ when it first got big in the west.

DBZ was even the first anime to make on the Wall Street Journal and it was talking about how it was from western animation (since westerners weren't that familiar with anime at the time):

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB944175764782972840

The bulk of Pokemon's audience are also small children so I doubt they are aware of what anime is. To them, it's just more cartoons.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:27 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:57 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:59 am Yes, it is the most mainstream. When someone thinks of "anime", they think of "Dragon Ball", the anime where people punch each other, scream a lot, and have yellow hair. No other anime is as iconic and recognizable as Dragon Ball.

By the way, One Piece is not more popular and iconic than Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball Super, a sequel/midquel of the original that, we can all agree, is less iconic than DBZ (since it's been around for only 7 years), overtook One Piece in terms of ratings:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/anime ... se-ratings
Here in Norway it's Pokémon that people think of. And they think all anime is like that. Or at least it used up be.
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:15 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:59 pm

Not....really...the point.

Nobody is trying to tell you Pokemon is as good or better than Dragon Ball. Just that it is by definition not a fad, when it has stayed financially successful and engrained in the pop culture subconscious.

Pokemon's popularity hasn't just made anime in general popular globally it's also made the anime industry stronger by giving animators room to grow.
It also made a lot of people shy away from anime because they were thinking all anime was like Pokémon.
That sounds like a them problem, not a Pokemon problem.
She/Her
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:33 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:40 am Ll

As for popularizing anime, DBZ definitely did more in that regard.
I know you've been told this before. Anime was popular in the States long before DBZ crossed over.

DBZ was even the first anime to make on the Wall Street Journal and it was talking about how it was from western animation (since westerners weren't that familiar with anime at the time):

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB944175764782972840
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB937953097105580923

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB879452218989597500

Oh look no it wasn't