Is Dragon Ball the biggest manga/anime series globally?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Is Dragon Ball the biggest manga/anime series globally?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:09 am

Zephyr wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:25 am No. Siskel and Ebert were well known household names. If they talked about something, chances are that thing's existence would be general public knowledge. Meaning, anime was in the mainstream public consciousness.

And this has all been a huge tangent anyway: nobody gonna bring up shit like Astro Boy and Speed Racer?
Yeah, I'm not gonna deny their place in the industry but putting them on the same level as Steven Spielberg who changed the entire movie industry is madness.

Astro Boy (and Osamu Tezuka in general) is the godfather of all anime and manga, but a lot of people today don't even know about it. It was way ahead of its time.

Speed Racer's "legacy" is a meme.
On closer inspection and reflection, this isn't as incredible as you'd think.

"posted on 2002-09-28"
"Beating out everything from Digimon to the Simpsons and other Prime Time broadcast shows, the season premiere of Dragonball Z was the most watched show on TV last week (week ending September 22nd) for its key demographics."

So, it's a common point of agreement that The Simpsons had a "golden age" in the 90's, after which its quality began to decline. When that moment exactly was will vary. I've seen everything from Season 7 to Season 14 argued, with 9 or 10 being the most common sticking points.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_T ... s_episodes

Looking at this, The Simpsons would have been well past its prime by late 2002, when DBZ had its season premiere. So, DBZ bodied a weakened Simpsons.

The 13th Season of The Simpsons ended on May 22, 2002. The 14th Season didn't begin airing until November 3, 2002. So, DBZ had a season premiere that bodied a weakened Simpsons which was between seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_D ... Z_episodes

Looking at this, that DBZ 'season' was much of the latter Boo arc, beginning after Vegeta's sacrifice. These new DBZ episodes were the first ones after a major cliffhanger, the continuation of an ongoing arc.
The Simpsons show was still pretty damn popular at the time.

Keep in mind, DBZ wasn't airing on primetime and FUNimation was basically an indie company at the time yet it was #1 among a sizeable demographic.

In no way at all did it need to do big numbers but it far, far exceeded expectations.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Is Dragon Ball the biggest manga/anime series globally?

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:28 am

Vacation time.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::