DB doesn't really belong to Toriyama anymore, does it?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

DB doesn't really belong to Toriyama anymore, does it?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:48 am

It now belongs to Toyotaro, Toei, and Funimation/Crunchyroll, and maybe Fox (since it still has film rights).

Toriyama's loose reign over the story has the disadvantage of anyone making their own version, It's why the Abridged series worked out, and its popularity means it can be considered canon (and in some respects it is actually funnier than what Toriyama came up with).

The advantage is we can choose our own canon/continuity, so make of that what you will.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: DB doesn't really belong to Toriyama anymore, does it?

Post by sangofe » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:57 am

Of course it belongs to Toriyama. It strictly belongs to Toriyama, Shueisha, and Toei. Every other company has just bought rights for different areas. If you mention other companies you should list up companies in South America, Europe, and other in Asia.

In the Nordic countries Sony has been handling the subtitling translation from the english translation). SF Studio has the rights for the movie.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:23 am

Holding the English license now equates to ownership, I guess.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:24 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:23 am Holding the English license now equates to ownership, I guess.
Why's that?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:09 am

I'm actually curious to what degree Toriyama legally "owns" Dragon Ball. Plenty of IP creators don't own the rights to their creations. Heck, Sylvester Stallone is still bitter about how he doesn't own the rights to the Rocky franchise.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:50 pm

The Anime Economy by Justin Sevakis tackles this question. Toriyama likely retains final say-so but because he's not particularly interested in being hands-on and understanding the various aspects of leading a franchise we mostly just get the occasional involvement (movies, overseeing a comic).
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:52 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:48 am maybe Fox (since it still has film rights).
They don't. They lost the rights years ago and you don't even see the 20th Century Logo when watching Superhero.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:30 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:48 amIt now belongs to Toyotaro, Toei, and Funimation/Crunchyroll, and maybe Fox (since it still has film rights).
No, it belongs to Shueisha. They are the right holders of this franchise and (sometimes along with Toriyama) have the final say.

But it's true (and expected) that Dragon Ball would eventually outgrow its creator. So we would naturally come to a point where Toriyama would "lose power" over its own creation. Up until the 2000s, it seems Toriyama could still say "no" to whatever Toei and Shueisha wanted to do, but as of 2010s, things seemingly changed. As per VegettoEX, Movie 14 would happen with or without Toriyama, so I think by now Toriyama can't say "no" anymore to whatever project they decide to do.

In reality, it's Shueisha that truly commands this franchise. And after learning that it was them that requested for Android 21 to have a transformation, pretty sure they are also the ones deciding a lot of stuff behind the scenes, including what Dimps can and can't do in Dragon Ball Heroes.

Toei can pitch ideas for a new animation, but if Shueisha say "no", then there won't be any new animation.
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:48 amThe advantage is we can choose our own canon/continuity, so make of that what you will.
Pretty sure that's already the case, as neither Toriyama nor Shueisha have stated what's canonical in this franchise. We already have that advantage.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:43 pm

As far as I can tell Toriyama's continued involvement in the franchise is out of respect to him and not any sort of legal obligation on Shuiesha's end.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:47 pm

He never own the franchise anyways. The series always belong to Shueisha since day one.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:36 pm

Shueisha to Akira Toriyama at some point in the near future:

~ Day of the Machines ~

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:43 pm

Does Fox/Disney even still have the film license for Dragon Ball at this point? The latest movie was distributed strictly by Crunchyroll/Sony in the states.

Anyway, yeah, I’m pretty sure the rights to Dragon Ball are co-owned by Toei and Shueisha, but since Japanese companies generally seem more respectful to creators of their IP’s, it means that Toriyama has a lot of power over the franchise.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:21 am

It was never really his property. It was Shueisha's from the beginning but they still consult him for ideas and the overall plot lines for DBS because he's highly respected within the industry.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Post by John Pannozzi » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:08 pm

Bird Studio (Toriyama's company) and Shueisha own the underlying copyright to the original Dragon Ball manga and the characters and concepts from it.
Other parties own (part of) the rights to various Dragon Ball-related media (Toei Animation, Toei Studios and/or Fuji TV with most Dragon Ball anime, Toyotaro with the Dragon Ball Super Manga, Bandai Namco with the video games, etc.).

Funimation/Crunchyroll/Sony has the license to most of the Dragon Ball anime in the USA (and some other countries), and Viz Media (owned by Shueisha and its sibling company-of-sorts Shogakukan (sp?)) has the license to most Dragon Ball (and Dr. Slump and other Toriyama)-related manga in the USA.

I think that explains it.
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

damn
Beyond Newbie

Post by damn » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:43 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:48 am
Toriyama's loose reign over the story has the disadvantage of anyone making their own version, It's why the Abridged series worked out, and its popularity means it can be considered canon (and in some respects it is actually funnier than what Toriyama came up with).
I cringed so hard.

TFS is not canon, it's youtube trash garbage and unfunny . If you want to see funny then watch the Funimation/Ocean Dub or Big Green Dub. At least there they weren't trying to be funny and were only funny unintentionally.
If you unironically like garbage like TFS let alone think it's better than the actual series then you're not even a real fan.

Canon is Original 42 volumes and to hell with the rest.
Toriyama should have left it as it was instead of bothering with Super and all this Toei cashgrab nonsense.

Real fans respect the source material and don't mess with it. Real fans love the original series.
Real fans can see that all this Super/Toyotaro/Movies new stuff is just pandering to the deviantart Dragon Ball AF crowd hence why it has a tracing hack like Toyotaro working on it.
Real fans are guys like Eiichiro Oda who created One Piece by taking inspirations from Dragon Ball but not ripping it off, not the deviantart/fanfiction guys who actively spit disrespect at the series with their nonsensical OCs just like Sonic fans do.

God I'm so beyond disgusted by your post.
You don't get to steal the Dragon Ball franchise.
The series is Toriyama's. He's the one who created it. Without him we wouldn't have Dragon Ball.
It doesn't belong to even Japanese fans let alone us foreign fans.

Sad thing is that I can't even dismiss you as a troll because I know you're serious.
Instead of trying to create something of their own nowadays people just want to steal existing properties.
Truly sickening.

damn
Beyond Newbie

Post by damn » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:52 am

Grimlock wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:30 pm
As per VegettoEX, Movie 14 would happen with or without Toriyama, so I think by now Toriyama can't say "no" anymore to whatever project they decide to do.
Without Toriyama's approval DB Super would have completely flopped like GT did.
His name alone fooled many into giving Super Manga/Anime a chance and also caused many to pretend they like it in the first place.
You take Toriyama's name off of the Super Manga and it would sell considerably less, hence why despite his very limited contributions they play up his name a lot in marketing.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:31 am

damn wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:43 amIf you unironically like garbage like TFS let alone think it's better than the actual series then you're not even a real fan.
Let's NOT have needlessly inflammatory comments like this, okay?

Despite my personal agreement with some of your comments about Super and other new material itself being phoned-in worthless dreck... we REALLY don't need to be slinging mud about who is or isn't a "true fan" over it. Even less so over harmless fan projects.

Okay? Consider this a free and friendly warning to rein in the scathing and misplaced judgmentalism.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:02 am

damn wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:52 am
Grimlock wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:30 pm
As per VegettoEX, Movie 14 would happen with or without Toriyama, so I think by now Toriyama can't say "no" anymore to whatever project they decide to do.
Without Toriyama's approval DB Super would have completely flopped like GT did.
His name alone fooled many into giving Super Manga/Anime a chance and also caused many to pretend they like it in the first place.
You take Toriyama's name off of the Super Manga and it would sell considerably less, hence why despite his very limited contributions they play up his name a lot in marketing.
I need some empirical evidence on that one chief.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:51 pm

damn wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:52 amWithout Toriyama's approval DB Super would have completely flopped like GT did. His name alone fooled many into giving Super Manga/Anime a chance and also caused many to pretend they like it in the first place.
Do we have evidences that "Dragon Ball GT flopped" in the first place?

~ Day of the Machines ~

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:47 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:51 pm
damn wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:52 amWithout Toriyama's approval DB Super would have completely flopped like GT did. His name alone fooled many into giving Super Manga/Anime a chance and also caused many to pretend they like it in the first place.
Do we have evidences that "Dragon Ball GT flopped" in the first place?
Kinda, considering that GT not only didn't have the same high TV ratings its predecessors did, but it's also considered the black sheep of the franchise. It kinda did flop TBH
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?