Adult Swim vs Disney XD for Super. Which do you prefer?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Adult Swim vs Disney XD for Super. Which do you prefer?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:53 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:54 pm
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:53 am Purely and entirely to see what an edited dub of Super would look like.
Worth noting Funimation's edited Super dub has aired in the UK and Ireland on Pop. LostTimeLord has documented the various edits, which is really cool. I know Super also aired on kids channels in Australia, South Africa and Pakistan, presumably using the same cut or a largely similar one with extra edits on top.
Oh, I didn't know that--thanks, Dragon Ball Ireland, that'll be a fun read!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:43 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:38 pm And its not like GT is impossible to follow without having seen the Buu saga.
I’d argue that going from Cell to GT, without any knowledge of the Boo saga, would be a pretty jarring leap, but I do think people on these forums failed to account for the fact that kids use the Internet.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:30 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:43 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:38 pm And its not like GT is impossible to follow without having seen the Buu saga.
I’d argue that going from Cell to GT, without any knowledge of the Boo saga, would be a pretty jarring leap, but I do think people on these forums failed to account for the fact that kids use the Internet.
No more than going from Pilaf to Raditz or skipping everything pre-Raditz. Actually way less so. Oob, Kibito Kai and Majin Boo (who ultimately barely matter) are the only real potential head scratchers for viewers who missed the Boo saga. People can figure out who Videl and Goten are without seeing the Boo saga since their roles are just Gohan's wife and Goku and Chi Chi's younger son. The Cell saga already put forward the idea of power beyond Super Saiyan so 3 and 4 showing up wouldn't be that jarring. It's gonna be obvious stuff was missed but it was also obvious when Z started airing in 1996

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:37 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:30 pm
No more than going from Pilaf to Raditz or skipping everything pre-Raditz. Actually way less so. Oob, Kibito Kai and Majin Boo (who ultimately barely matter) are the only real potential head scratchers for viewers who missed the Boo saga. People can figure out who Videl and Goten are without seeing the Boo saga since their roles are just Gohan's wife and Goku and Chi Chi's younger son. The Cell saga already put forward the idea of power beyond Super Saiyan so 3 and 4 showing up wouldn't be that jarring. It's gonna be obvious stuff was missed but it was also obvious when Z started airing in 1996
What about the fact that Goku is alive, despite his decision to stay dead at the end of the Cell saga? Plus, I’d argue that suddenly being introduced to Gohan having a wife and daughter would be pretty weird for people who last saw him as a kid.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:59 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:37 pm

What about the fact that Goku is alive, despite his decision to stay dead at the end of the Cell saga? Plus, I’d argue that suddenly being introduced to Gohan having a wife and daughter would be pretty weird for people who last saw him as a kid.
Oh he ended up coming back. Okay.

Gohan's an adult now and has a wife and kid

Neither of those things require being knee deep in Dragon Ball lore.

I'm still not sure how any of this is worse than skipping straight to Z?

Eta: Should clarify that obviously the entire franchise was designed for viewers to come in at any time and be mostly okay getting the gist of things which is why it's so flashback and exposition heavy. Ideally you would watch everything from the first episode to.....whenever you decide the last episode is. But missing one saga isn't going to cause that much confusion.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:36 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:59 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:37 pm
Oh he ended up coming back. Okay.

Gohan's an adult now and has a wife and kid

Neither of those things require being knee deep in Dragon Ball lore.

I'm still not sure how any of this is worse than skipping straight to Z?

Eta: Should clarify that obviously the entire franchise was designed for viewers to come in at any time and be mostly okay getting the gist of things which is why it's so flashback and exposition heavy. Ideally you would watch everything from the first episode to.....whenever you decide the last episode is. But missing one saga isn't going to cause that much confusion.
Skipping straight to Raditz isn’t exactly ideal either, but the anime does at least spend some time getting people up to speed on the basic history of these characters, and Kai has an entire prologue that summarizes the first half of the series. Skipping straight from Cell to GT is kind of like skipping from A New Hope to Return of the Jedi.

Ultimately though, it doesn’t really matter, because the Boo/Buu arc was already widely available in the U.S. back in 2011/2012, so if any kids who supposedly followed the Nicktoons broadcast (though wasn’t the Toonzai broadcast more widely viewed?) were truly curious, they could just use just the Internet.