Highest Potential? Broly, Gohan, or Freeza?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Highest Potential? Broly, Gohan, or Freeza?

Post by ATA » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:32 am

Howdy,

Broly was shown to have great potential. Going from getting beat by SSJ Vegeta to pushing Gogeta to Super Saiyan Blue. The fact he can use Oozaru without becoming one shows he has potential if he gets his rage under control. I'm guessing he never had formal training with his father beyond the basics. Now he's on Beerus and Whis's planet. Wonder how much his power would grow.

Gohan. We all know our boy Gohan's potential. Not much need to be said. From his debut his character was all about potential. In the new movie he went Beast and killed Cell Max. Now the movie didn't do a good job showing but Gohan said even with Goku and Vegeta they would've struggled. So Beast Gohan is at least in the same ballpark as Goku and Vegeta.

Freeza. Good old Freeza. Had the community in shambles when this space Lizard went from 120,000,000 to surpassing Blue Goku in 4 months, only losing due to stamina issues. That's a huge leap. Then he proceeds to mentally train in hell and managed to perfect his Golden Form. Don't read if you're anime only
So my quesition here is. Out of these 3 monsters who has the biggest potential? If I had to take a guess it would be either Gohan or Freeza. The only reason I'm putting Gohan above Broly is because Half Breeds are said to have higher potential than Full Saiyans. Now between Gohan and Freeza? That's tough. I'm leaning towards Freeza but Gohan's anger :think:
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Highest Potential? Broly, Gohan, or Freeza?

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:18 am

Anyone can have incredible potential when the plot demands it in Dragon Ball. At this stage in Dragon Ball, it's a crapshoot.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:01 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:18 am Anyone can have incredible potential when the plot demands it in Dragon Ball. At this stage in Dragon Ball, it's a crapshoot.
Yeah, this. But I think Frieza and Gohan go to that well more than anyone and most outlandishly. Broly's growth seems to have slowed a little as he's learning the basics but then again, he likely hasn't cut loose in a while. Between Gohan and Frieza, I think its tough. The story always posits that Gohan is the top guy if he trains, so I think he firmly has the most potential of any character since that's his entire gimmick. Logically, with in-universe logic, characters like Frieza and #17 should have the most potential since they started off with so much power to begin with.

I'd also put Piccolo and #17 just behind the 3 you listed. Although Piccolo trains all the time, we sporadically see him get these huge power jumps which are some of the biggest in the series. Frieza, Broly, and Gohan's all eclipse his but until recently Piccolo hasn't even used transformations like they did. His jump from Earth to Namek (pre-Nail) was likely insane but much more insane was his jump from 1 million to Android arc SSJ level with just 3 years of earth training and no transformations. Then recently went from what some people believe to be Semi-Cell tier to SSB tier with his potential being unlocked by Shenron. I think he started way stronger than that in DBS: SH, but despite not training with any gods his potential put him at god-tier.

I think only Uub could rival any of the characters mentioned above potential-wise. I don't know what limitations his human body places on him (GT seemed to implicate some), but having a base of Kid Buu's strength would logically give him the highest potential from the start.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:06 pm

I think Broly represents the "rookie with high potential" archetype on the purest crack imaginable. Dude skyrocketed from base Vegeta level, which is impressive enough for a complete n00b, to stronger than Super Saiyan Blue Goku and Super Saiyan Gogeta in a matter of minutes. That boy ain't right. Perhaps trying to control his rage isn't the answer; like the Hulk, he has to embrace it fully to get the best results.

That's not to dog on Gohan and Freeza as they both have ridiculous potential, but Broly is something else. Between Gohan and Freeza, at this point I'm inclined to say Freeza wins, since he started out ridiculously strong and just kinda... keeps getting stronger. Through very basic training, he managed to surpass Super Saiyan God, and now has done the same to Ultra Instinct/Ultra Ego. Gohan's new Beast form is vaguely around Goku/Vegeta level, supposedly, but Gohan's problem is that if he doesn't keep up his training on a regular basis, he quickly loses all the progress he makes, whereas Freeza can comfortably sit on his ass for the rest of his life and never weaken.

DBFanTalk

Post by DBFanTalk » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:29 am

The comparison between them may fluctuate depending on the plot. Following DBS Manga: Chapter 87, Frieza has demonstrated the highest potential, for now. Broly still has more room for growth by training and transformations. I haven't seen Beast Gohan.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:23 am

Given that Jiren started off as a powerless child but subsequently became stronger than Belmod after training for all of his life, "potential" ends up being a less meaningful word in modern DB. If someone really wants to get strong, they will get strong no matter the method. Even Yamcha could overtake the entirety of the DBZ roster and enter the DBS-echelon if he pushed himself far enough.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:14 am

With respect to quickest growth at a single time it would probably be Broly for reasons expressed by LoganForkHands73. It's absurd how he skyrocketed from a level that was comparable with the base Saiyans to overwhelming Goku and Vegeta simultaneously as they were using their blue transformations.

Freeza probably in terms of overall growth and his lack of artificial stimuli which was the case for Gohan through his potential unlock. Ten years is a considerable amount of time, possibly the largest quantity of time to train intensively in the series up until now, but presumably he achieved this new form on his own. Is it any wonder that people are speculating how he compares to Beerus? No doubt the Hakaishin is an ever moving goalpost but I don't think it's beyond reason to argue Freeza might be capable of giving him a good run for his money now.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:53 pm

To me the order is Broly, Freeza, Gohan.

Broly has trained like what? 2 times in his life? and he already is above the Ultra forms.
Freeza has trained for at least one decade and he is only weaker than Beerus, currently.
Gohan has trained A LOT to be around the other two guys.

If Freeza had trained as much as Gohan, probably would be much stronger than Black Freeza, right? unless Freeza is capping soon, which he just might. But with much less time put in, he probably is stronger than Beast Gohan.
If Broly had put in the time Gohan or even Freeza have put in, he'd be above Beerus by a lot. I assume he is not capping anytime sooner.

I guess we'd need to see how strong they end up getting by the end of the day to be able to tell, because maybe Gohan has no limit but Freeza does. Or viceversa.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:52 pm

Gohan. Toriyama made that pretty clear Gohan doesn't need to train like the others do. For perspective, when he first reawakens Potential Unleashed after training for around 24 hours he is back to his Buu Saga levels of power. He then trains for 24 more hours and is able to fight Goku SSB though its confirmed Goku was still stronger this still puts Gohan at SSB levels of power.
In the manga alone his growth rate took him in less than 48 minutes from Buu Saga Gohan power, to tying SS Kefla in power.
In less than 48 minutes. We must remember Kales power was enough to pressure Perfected SSB Goku and that was before they even became Kefla which multiplied Kale's power by Cauliflas power. Gohan essentially in less than 48 minutes went to near Perfected SSBlue levels of power in the manga, while in the anime in 24 hours he went from his Buu Saga level of power, to Super Saiyan Blue level of power.

In Broly's case he capped out against SSG Vegeta, and needed to go into Wrath State to get 10x stronger and then unlock more power and fight more which helped him up until SSBlue Goku which Goku was comfortably beating him and having fun. Paragus and Frieza both noticed Broly was losing. Hence Broly needing to go SS. Broly's SS power hit its limit vs SS Gogeta, and Broly needed to go FPSS to gain the edge again... then Gogeta goes Blue and that's all she wrote Broly's power creep stopped and from there it was implied training was his only way forward as hinted at the end of the movie and in the DBS Super Heroes movie. Frieza's first training in his life, for 4 months helped his power skyrocket then he goes and dies again, then Frieza did more mental training in hell for a year making him even stronger. Frieza then trains for 10 whole years inside the HBTC and gains Black Frieza enabling him to kill Gas and beat Goku and Vegeta with one blow but for Frieza to reach these levels of power, it took him 10 years showing how considerably his growth has slowed compared to him only needing 4 months to surpass SSB from his Frieza Saga power level.

Gohan in this movie was SSB levels of power with his Potential Unleashed State, and Cell Max was complete while only his mind control program wasn't. This means Cell Max was stronger than Broly according to what was said.

Cell max loses one arm and his power drops some from the Gamma Suicide attack, but even still Beast Gohan takes his full force punch like it was nothing and didn't move AT ALL.. as if a feather was dropped onto him. So even if we said Cell Max was only at half power which is a reach, Gohan was clearly twice as strong as him meaning at the very least Gohan and Cell Max at full power would have been tied and this means Gohan Beast >= Cell Max > Broly > Goku=Vegeta = Piccolo.

Mind you Pan is 3, meaning this movie takes place 1.5-2 years after the Broly movie which means Broly, Goku, and Vegeta are each much stronger than they were in the Broly movie.

All in all Gohan goes from SSB levels of power, to Cell Max/Broly level. That's an insane jump on its own for somebody who hasn't been training frequently.

So my order as of Super Heroes is Gohan, then Frieza, then Broly.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:00 am

QuakingStar wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:52 pm Gohan. Toriyama made that pretty clear Gohan doesn't need to train like the others do. For perspective, when he first reawakens Potential Unleashed after training for around 24 hours he is back to his Buu Saga levels of power. He then trains for 24 more hours and is able to fight Goku SSB though its confirmed Goku was still stronger this still puts Gohan at SSB levels of power.
In the manga alone his growth rate took him in less than 48 minutes from Buu Saga Gohan power, to tying SS Kefla in power.
In less than 48 minutes. We must remember Kales power was enough to pressure Perfected SSB Goku and that was before they even became Kefla which multiplied Kale's power by Cauliflas power. Gohan essentially in less than 48 minutes went to near Perfected SSBlue levels of power in the manga, while in the anime in 24 hours he went from his Buu Saga level of power, to Super Saiyan Blue level of power.

In Broly's case he capped out against SSG Vegeta, and needed to go into Wrath State to get 10x stronger and then unlock more power and fight more which helped him up until SSBlue Goku which Goku was comfortably beating him and having fun. Paragus and Frieza both noticed Broly was losing. Hence Broly needing to go SS. Broly's SS power hit its limit vs SS Gogeta, and Broly needed to go FPSS to gain the edge again... then Gogeta goes Blue and that's all she wrote Broly's power creep stopped and from there it was implied training was his only way forward as hinted at the end of the movie and in the DBS Super Heroes movie. Frieza's first training in his life, for 4 months helped his power skyrocket then he goes and dies again, then Frieza did more mental training in hell for a year making him even stronger. Frieza then trains for 10 whole years inside the HBTC and gains Black Frieza enabling him to kill Gas and beat Goku and Vegeta with one blow but for Frieza to reach these levels of power, it took him 10 years showing how considerably his growth has slowed compared to him only needing 4 months to surpass SSB from his Frieza Saga power level.

Gohan in this movie was SSB levels of power with his Potential Unleashed State, and Cell Max was complete while only his mind control program wasn't. This means Cell Max was stronger than Broly according to what was said.

Cell max loses one arm and his power drops some from the Gamma Suicide attack, but even still Beast Gohan takes his full force punch like it was nothing and didn't move AT ALL.. as if a feather was dropped onto him. So even if we said Cell Max was only at half power which is a reach, Gohan was clearly twice as strong as him meaning at the very least Gohan and Cell Max at full power would have been tied and this means Gohan Beast >= Cell Max > Broly > Goku=Vegeta = Piccolo.

Mind you Pan is 3, meaning this movie takes place 1.5-2 years after the Broly movie which means Broly, Goku, and Vegeta are each much stronger than they were in the Broly movie.

All in all Gohan goes from SSB levels of power, to Cell Max/Broly level. That's an insane jump on its own for somebody who hasn't been training frequently.

So my order as of Super Heroes is Gohan, then Frieza, then Broly.
Wanted to clarify a few things. I was wrong, after re-awakening PU again he trained for less than FIVE hours to go from his Buu Saga level of power in PU to Super Saiyan Blue levels of power. That is a gargantuan leap in under 5 hours, absolutely insane. Further showing Gohans potential.

https://i.imgur.com/AHWLwHL.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tv8wOtW.jpg

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:02 am

I would have said Broly than Frieza, than Gohan but after Super Hero it's Gohan.