Super's role in Toei's restructuring?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Super's role in Toei's restructuring?

Post by CashmanX » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:36 pm

We all know about Supers production woes during it's first half, but is there any truth to the idea that it by itself lead to a change in how Toei does approaches preproduction with their shows? Or was it merely the straw that broke the camels back after ending up like Sailor Moon Crystal? I even remember a Forbes article questioning what exactly was happening and I believe a Japanese article (Asahi? Mainichi?) wondering about the "animation collapse".
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Super's role in Toei's restructuring?

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:22 am

CashmanX wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:36 pm We all know about Supers production woes during it's first half, but is there any truth to the idea that it by itself lead to a change in how Toei does approaches preproduction with their shows? Or was it merely the straw that broke the camels back after ending up like Sailor Moon Crystal? I even remember a Forbes article questioning what exactly was happening and I believe a Japanese article (Asahi? Mainichi?) wondering about the "animation collapse".
I believe the issue was—in addition to rushing so many projects into production at once—the issue was also in part due to the studio going through a massive renovation and then move over to a new facility. The new facility has allowed for the workflow and communication to improve a lot compared to the mid-2010s.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:09 am

Happiness Charge Precure
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:22 am
CashmanX wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:36 pm We all know about Supers production woes during it's first half, but is there any truth to the idea that it by itself lead to a change in how Toei does approaches preproduction with their shows? Or was it merely the straw that broke the camels back after ending up like Sailor Moon Crystal? I even remember a Forbes article questioning what exactly was happening and I believe a Japanese article (Asahi? Mainichi?) wondering about the "animation collapse".
I believe the issue was—in addition to rushing so many projects into production at once—the issue was also in part due to the studio going through a massive renovation and then move over to a new facility. The new facility has allowed for the workflow and communication to improve a lot compared to the mid-2010s.
Happiness Charge Precure was victim of that too, and it was 10th anniversary series, 2013 - 2015 were not lucky years for Toei...
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:33 pm

I don't think it was the only reason, but it was the last straw. For years Toei was been criticized for their lackluster TV productions, including One Piece post-timeskip episodes.

Then they decide to do a new DB TV series after all these years and it also looks bad, but due to DB being a worldwide phenomenon the buzz around it is much bigger. Search "Dragon Ball Super Animation" or even just "bad animation" on google and you still get a lot of images of episode 5...

The fact that DBS was airing at the same time than the well done season 1 from One Punch Man didn't help.
Saitama trying to kill a mosquito felt more powerful than any DBS fight...
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:30 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:33 pm I don't think it was the only reason, but it was the last straw. For years Toei was been criticized for their lackluster TV productions, including One Piece post-timeskip episodes.

Then they decide to do a new DB TV series after all these years and it also looks bad, but due to DB being a worldwide phenomenon the buzz around it is much bigger. Search "Dragon Ball Super Animation" or even just "bad animation" on google and you still get a lot of images of episode 5...

The fact that DBS was airing at the same time than the well done season 1 from One Punch Man didn't help.
Saitama trying to kill a mosquito felt more powerful than any DBS fight...
That's the cap my friend. I agree that OPM season 1 was crazy because of the amazing staff, but you don't have to cap like that :lol: . And I must add that if I had to take an example, Mob psycho is better because OPM season 2 was not half as good as season 1 since they had the same scheduling problem as DBS.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:43 am

Every season of Mob is better than One-Punch Man. Not only is the animation and directing better but so os the writing. The currently airing third season was completed ahead or broadcast, even, making the scheduling much better.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf