Is Super coming back? Anime form

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyanLives

Is Super coming back? Anime form

Post by SaiyanLives » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:01 am

I finally bit the bullet and ordered the dragon ball super blu ray UK boxset !
Hopefully arrives OK....
Getting them seperate is waay to expansive like double the cost anyway i noticed that on super releases they name it as season 1 so i guess super right now till the end is season 1?
So does that mean we are getting season 2 as well?
So its continuing?
I kno the manga was still going but will those get anime episodes too?
And when? 2023? Or later?

Man i dont wanna sound mean but akira toriyama is getting up there in age we should enjoy whatever he makes because super might be the last dragon ball ever when he passes dragon ball dies too,look at GT it failed without akira
Hopefully he still has a while!

Anyway I'm excited to start another DB journey soon lol once my super arrives
Imma binge dragon ball then z then super :) , might do gt and z movies too but first all cannon stuff in a row is going to be fun time

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is Super coming back? Anime form

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:04 am

As of now there has been no official word on Super coming back in anime form, no matter how badly some people want to cling to that "We'll be on a short break" line from narrator in Super's series finale.

It could come back but at this point just assume it's not.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:13 am

With Dragon Quest: Dai no Dai-Bouken (2020) nearing its end and Digimon: Ghost Game apparently nearing its end (the rest of the scripts are finished, according to Sogo Masashi) we don't know what's going to take Digimon's place in the 9:00AM Sunday timeslot yet, so it'll be interesting to see if it winds up being Dragon Ball or not. With the original Konjiki no Gash!! anime turning twenty next year we could be in for a remake that completely the original comic's story, especially with a sequel comic being created as we speak. My guess is that whatever that web series for Dragon Ball is will probably keep a new TV sequel from being produced for a little while longer. We'll see!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:57 am

Considering how well Super Hero has done despite lacklustre marketing, and Dragon Ball remaining as insanely popular as ever I think it's not a matter of will Super return but when.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:28 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:57 am Considering how well Super Hero has done despite lacklustre marketing, and Dragon Ball remaining as insanely popular as ever I think it's not a matter of will Super return but when.
The Broly movie also did really well. No tv series came back. I don't know why this would be any different.

Seems Toei and Shueisha and Bandai are content with their current model of an on going Super manga, ongoing Super Dragon Ball Heroes advertainment web series, and an anime movie every few years.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:46 pm

I think 67 is a little early to act as though Toriyama might die any day now. Nozawa is almost twenty years older and still an active seiyuu, in a voice that sounds similar to her 1960s self.

Anyway, I read this thing back in July where a leaker that supposedly has a good reputation and history claimed that Super would be returning next year. I don't know anything about the guy and I never even saw the original Super, but I've seen leaks turn out to be true my fair share of times. Otherwise it's up in the air, but we're still within the window of time where a continuation isn't impossible. Sequels being released 5-6 years later aren't uncommon; as a random example, The Ancient Magus Bride S2 starts Spring 2023 whereas S1 was Fall 2017 and Winter 2018.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Post by MrSatan2099 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:05 pm

I definitely think there will eventually be another series, whether it's a return of Dragon Ball Super or something else.

I do really like the multimedia approach they've taken though, a movie, manga only stories, another movie. I wouldn't mind if Super ran it's course like that to make way for a potential new series, maybe something very different.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:23 pm

Dr. Casey wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:46 pm I think 67 is a little early to act as though Toriyama might die any day now. Nozawa is almost twenty years older and still an active seiyuu, in a voice that sounds similar to her 1960s self.

Anyway, I read this thing back in July where a leaker that supposedly has a good reputation and history claimed that Super would be returning next year. I don't know anything about the guy and I never even saw the original Super, but I've seen leaks turn out to be true my fair share of times. Otherwise it's up in the air, but we're still within the window of time where a continuation isn't impossible. Sequels being released 5-6 years later aren't uncommon; as a random example, The Ancient Magus Bride S2 starts Spring 2023 whereas S1 was Fall 2017 and Winter 2018.
Every year a "good" leaker says it will return only for later to announce that "plans have changed" to save face.

That being said, I don't think Toriyama dieing will prevent a new DB show from happening. DB is bigger than him.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:30 pm

Jord wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:23 pm
Dr. Casey wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:46 pm I think 67 is a little early to act as though Toriyama might die any day now. Nozawa is almost twenty years older and still an active seiyuu, in a voice that sounds similar to her 1960s self.

Every year a "good" leaker says it will return only for later to announce that "plans have changed" to save face.

That being said, I don't think Toriyama dieing will prevent a new DB show from happening. DB is bigger than him.
Well, I'll defer to you - I know close to nothing about the subject, having not even watched the Super anime that already exists (though much of it does look good).
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

chitsunameru

Post by chitsunameru » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:58 pm

I hope it does not. It is big shit and needs to stay dead. It makes gt of all things look quality.

SaiyanLives

Post by SaiyanLives » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:41 am

But the manga is continuing if they dont continue the show a lot of us be dissapointed i mean sure id like all the mangas too but i really just want in tv show form :(
Hopefully theyll bring it back Geekdom thinks its coming back in 2023 who knows i hope to god its true if not Super ended way to fast IMO
Could be so much more!

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:40 pm

I think it wont come back, and if it does it will be low quality, perhaps it will be a website animation only release, but if it does come back I would not mind.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:00 pm

It will surely come back at some point to adapt Broly, Moro, Granolah, Super Hero and the new upcoming manga arc(s), there's absolutely no way around it. The only question is "when".

I could have sworn ever since Dragon Quest: the Adventure of Dai started that Dragon Ball Super would come back as soon as it was over, using the exact same level and method of production than for DQ, down to the fact of having a manga that's way ahead as the adaptation's point of reference.

But now that DQ is reaching its end in just a handful of episodes and no announcement has been made for a return of Dragon Ball, it is more than certain that it's not coming back to replace it.

I thought some producer said in an interview that there would be some Dragon Ball on TV for 2022, that Super Hero wouldn't be the only anime production of DB this year or something, which only made me believe all the more that the amazing and overdue Dragon Quest anime would be replaced by Dragon Ball after it ended. But I might have been wrong about that supposed statement or plans could have changed, which happens sometimes.

Anyway, it baffles me that Dragon Ball Super is not on air for such a long time when the success is just waiting to continue with lots of new characters and forms to create even more toys, game assets and figurines in the process and therefore bringing them lots of financial benefits. I really saw Dragon Quest as finally giving a well-deserved full adaptation of the cool DQ manga AND serving as a warm-up for a "less rushed production-wise" continuation of Super immediately after. But as it turns out, I was too optimistic on that one.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:15 am

Bleach anime has returned, a anime that got cancelled which the last episode aired was on March 27, 2012. It took 1 decade but finally Bleach has returned.

Shaman King and Dragon Quest returned. So I don't see any reason why Dragon Ball Super won't return, seeing that the manga is still on going.

However if DBS Anime return then there needs to be a lot of improvement. For one thing brainless Goku, annoying Chi Chi and forbidding characters that has to stop.
If Goku does dumb thing that is funny, but if it contradicts his past experience then there is nothing funny.
DBS Super Heroes finally stopped with the whole forbidding writing, there was gag and fighting which is good. Lets hope they don't return to forbidding them again.

Chi Chi should regain her development from Buu Saga, Yo Son Goku Ova and BoG.

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:19 pm

Jord wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:23 pm

Yeah but the connotations of a new dragon ball series would be completely different without Toriyama being involved. GT for example, is dismissed as non canon because Toriyama wasn't involved in writing it, and rightfully so. If Toriyama didn't write it, it's simply not the same, and it never will be the same, if Toriyama isn't the one writing/approving/supervising, etc.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:01 pm

Why would it matter if it's canon or not? As long as it's enjoyable. Super was "canon" and had some of the worst story beats in the entire franchise and created inconsistencies with Z, where it's supposed to fit in. It didn't get cancelled without a reason.

Don't want to get too dark here but when Toriyama dies they probably market a new DB movie with the idea that the movie is a "tribute" to Toriyama to make more money.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:04 pm

And then there's the fact that being "dismissed as non canon" by random people on Internet is utterly irrelevant. It doesn't matter what they say in the slightest. What matters are the powers that be getting their money and, luckily, viewers getting some enjoyment with whatever they want to do.

Maybe it's for the best not having "the same" Dragon Ball all the time. After all, Toriyama is part of the problem as he is also holding back the series (in terms of time placement and ideas). If less Toriyama means we'll be open to more and different stuff, so be it. And, as Jord said, he's not guaranteed quality stories just because he's involved.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:08 pm

Hi, folks:

This topic is already being well-addressed by the existing, more-appropriate threads within the "Super" sub-section. Please use those. Thank you!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::