What chance would Dragon Ball 86 have it was remade today?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: What chance would Dragon Ball 86 have it was remade today?

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:42 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:48 pm Most of the worst Roshi moments in the original Dragon Ball were Toei additions so a theoretical new anime adaptation that's truer to the manga would get rid of those scenes anyways.

And apparently it needs to be reiterated you can make a character horny without making them a sexual predator.
The Roushi side of it aside, Blooma's central focus in a lot of those early chapters is still "gets sexually humiliated because lol girls" so I feel like there's definitely a ton of stuff from the comic that a new adaption could just not include.
Koitsukai wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:33 pm I actually adore the original style, even more so than Z's that kept changing studios and one episode would have perfect animation and the next one would have chubby characters with pointy noses, fucked up faces, and wonky hair.

Dragonball is the only series of the franchise with consistent art, art that I can enjoy from start to end, so I would only advocate for just editing the Roshi and Oolong scenes.
The same studios that worked on the 1986 Dragon Ball animated worked on Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball Z simply had harder to animate character designs due to Maeda Minoru, Nakatsuru Katsuyoshi and Yamamuro Tadayoshi trying to match Toriyama's changing style as well as increasing the number of lines. The number of lines as well as the complexity of a lot of the storyboards that they were attempting also increased, while the number of animators available to assign cuts to decreased. The 1986 Dragon Ball cartoon's best animation was accomplished by Last House animators like Ohara Tai'ichirou and Shida Naotoshi, both of whom worked on Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT, but their animation supervisor, Uchiyama Masayuki became increasingly involved in correcting their animation to remain in line with the cuts that he would personally provide the key animation for, so their drawings would appear simplistic. It's necessarily to keep in mind, though, that Last House and Studio Live were typically completing episodes very quickly and working on multiple projects at once. In the latter half of Dragon Ball Z the Last House episodes were being key animated by only two people: Uchiyama and Ohara. Two people doing the work of multiple people to complete a 300 shot episode in a month and a half tends to lend to simplistic drawings. Because the character designs for the series had grown more complicated over the years compared to the more simplistic designs of the 1986 cartoon the difference was going to be stark.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:11 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:48 pm Most of the worst Roshi moments in the original Dragon Ball were Toei additions so a theoretical new anime adaptation that's truer to the manga would get rid of those scenes anyways.

And apparently it needs to be reiterated you can make a character horny without making them a sexual predator.
I don’t know his scenes with bulma’s in both the first arc and the baba arc’s were pretty bad I get what toriyama was going for with season 1 infamous scene that because she wasn’t such an innocent person it’s kinda karma but her age makes it all kinds of wrong. the joke both involving bulma the perverts goku for the infamous scene all aged poorly. same with all the manga and non manga moments with her roshi oolong in general and even krillin in the baba arc. How do you update this without lose what makes early dragon ball early dragon ball not saying it needs the pervert humor but would old school fans be happy or feel like somethings missing without it and there in lies the problem with doing a remake.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:49 pm

If it were to happen, I would want it to look like the prologue scene from Super Hero. That perfectly captured Toriyama's early designs from the series, yet looked so modern with how smoothly it was animated and all the cool impact frames.

There's something so unique about early Dragon Ball's art that it loses its magic when it's done any other way. Just look at something like Path to Power. As much as I enjoy that film, something was lost when they chose to give all the characters the GT look. I had the biggest smile on my face when I saw stubby little Goku flying on Kinto'un in Super Hero.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:14 am

I think Toei actually already remade the classic Dragon Ball but it's in clips spread across various movies with varying art styles. Like the extended BoG cut had some scenes, Broly had some, Super Hero had the Red Ribbon fight, lots of games have the Goku vs Piccolo Daimao final attack reanimated in their cutscenes.

I think that's their silent approach and statement they'll never make an actual remake series for DB, but we technically still get the major DB events in modern styles.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:34 am

Remaking scenes for flashbacks in new projects of old series is normal. That doesn't mean we won't eventually get a new retelling of the original comic in animated forum.
She/Her
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:37 pm

The manga's 40th anniversary is two years away so I mean if you're gonna do it...

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:22 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:37 pm The manga's 40th anniversary is two years away so I mean if you're gonna do it...
Either that or 2026, which seems a bit more plausible since it would be the cartoon franchise's 40th and also provide them more time to plan their upcoming projects.

Eh, we'll see.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:57 pm

Sorry if sounding pessimistic, but if it were remade, why do I have a feeling Bulma would go up a few cup sizes than she was in the original?

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:39 am

I mean, I'd say if they haven't taken the excuse to hypersexualize her design so far, there's no reason to assume they would in a remake of the original. Bulma generally looks physically well-balanced across the franchise, I wouldn't say any of the girls reach the gratuitous levels of something like One Piece.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:52 am

Shaddy wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:39 am I mean, I'd say if they haven't taken the excuse to hypersexualize her design so far, there's no reason to assume they would in a remake of the original. Bulma generally looks physically well-balanced across the franchise, I wouldn't say any of the girls reach the gratuitous levels of something like One Piece.
Indeed, because Toriyama never took his designs for female characters to nearly the same degree as Oda has with say Nami, Robin or others in that regard.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:15 am

If they remake Dragon Ball, I wonder if it would have the filler and anime exclusive scenes or use entirely manga content.
An example is how Goku got the Ultra Divine Water and Tenshinhan battle with Daimao Piccolo, the anime changed it.

In my opinion the anime did it better. The Ultra Divine Water trial in the anime was good, while in the manga Goku just got it by asking for more power.

Tenshinhan used the Mafuba in the anime, while Tenshinhan didn't use it since the rice cooker was broken before the battle started.
I prefer the anime version.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:24 pm

I was going to initially write it off, but UY is a good example of a new paint job working out spectacularly for an old franchise. So you know what, I think OG Dragonball could do pretty good remade.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:15 pm

I don't expect this to happen as every other facet of the franchise seems to be serving as profitable enough right now. That said, I would certainly be in favor of it. It's true that the original adaptations have a unique style and charm to them, but they'd still be around, and if a new version ended up being worse, I could just stick to what I already love (this is already somewhat true for me with Kai).

I think Kai proved that there is only so much you can accomplish when editing down a series that's already been made with very slow pacing. Starting from scratch would accomplish much more. I'd love to see an approach akin to Dai no Dai-Bouken taken to the entire manga, not just the material the first anime covers. It'd be a nice way to reconcile the "split" that currently exists in people's minds thanks to the old anime and make it feel all the more unified. Plus, at the end of it we'd hopefully get to see the Kanzenban ending adapted.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:46 pm

Thank you all for your comments.

I had forgotten there was Kai, and Sailor Moon's 90s anime was remade as Crystal.

Attitudes towards sex jokes, and animation techniques, have evolved since the 1980s. That's an obvious fact.

And despite Toei's hold on the franchise, Toriyama's distinct artwork and humor is distinct enough to stand out in today's expanded anime market.

So I guess a remake has a reasonable chance.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:34 pm

Crystal wasn't a remake of the 90s anime, it was an adaption of the manga which the 90s anime wasn't. It wasn't really a Kai situation, or a remake in general.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:41 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:34 pm Crystal wasn't a remake of the 90s anime, it was an adaption of the manga which the 90s anime wasn't. It wasn't really a Kai situation, or a remake in general.
What you could call the 90s sailor moon anime was a loose adaptation of the manga all the characters and villains were there both everything about them plot etc. we’re change. Where crystal was adapting them less loosely it was still a loose adaptation but only slightly.

matburzy

Post by matburzy » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:09 am

Remake would be very nice and appreciated. AFAIK The OG Dragon Ball isn't currently aired anywhere, because well... Standards of airing changed, especially in Japan. Having watched entire series quite recently, as a 30-odd year old, some of the scenes are horrendous.

I was really disturbed by the portrayal of General Blue and the making-fun-of-pedo themes. I just don't find child enticing funny, maybe it was funny in the 80s In the face of current church scandals and public outrage on this theme, I would heavily change scenes with him. Also, a change in nude scenes is a must. Well it was never funny. Toilet humour can stay, but the heavier scenes must be obligatory cut or changed. They also are mostly not story relevant, well apart from receiving Dragon Ball from Kamesennin.
But there is also problem that by changing the story, you somehow censor the history, but in this case we can think of exception.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:03 am

matburzy wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:09 amI was really disturbed by the portrayal of General Blue and the making-fun-of-pedo themes. I just don't find child enticing funny, maybe it was funny in the 80s In the face of current church scandals and public outrage on this theme, I would heavily change scenes with him.
I can guarantee you that the scene was not funny in the 1980s nor will it ever be.
She/Her
bisexual milf

matburzy

Post by matburzy » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:19 am

I hope so, really while I like Toriyama works and simple humour, such themes really show how weird japanese mangaka can be.

To provide context, the scene that disturbed me the most was when General Blue was enticed by one of Dr Slump characters (forgot the name). Yikes! What the hell was that, and how it even passed as a animated episode is beyond me. If someone watched you watch this episode without context, there is good chance FBI would be interested :shock:

Not to mention that character is portrayed negatively as gay, as if author suggested that this trait along with pedo inclinations are all evil, interchangable and just wanted to hyperbole that. I'm glad he stopped doing that around 22th Tenkaichi Budokai and that kind of humour definitely toned down.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:42 am

matburzy wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:09 amAFAIK The OG Dragon Ball isn't currently aired anywhere, because well... Standards of airing changed, especially in Japan.
The most recent broadcast of original Dragon Ball I'm aware of is from 2016/17 when it was airing on HTV3 in Vietnam. I haven't seen the Vietnamese dub so I'm not sure was anything cut, but it's interesting they aired Dragon Ball right after Kai nonetheless.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: