"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by EGonzo » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:00 pm

Wrigglything wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:30 am Oh my god this just sent me back to early 2010s Facebook and the crap that spawned from there.

Like we all agree this is a troll post, right? Being honest, I don't see many people make posts like that today. Or maybe I just haven't been in social media besides YouTube lately.
You see them fairly often in Mexican fandom. On the few times I use Facebook I see them all over. Though the False Super Saiyan Bardock one was in English

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:40 am

Anyone else hoping to see Cooler when the manga returns?

If the next arc is focused on Frieza, it would make sense to develop Frieza's character a bit and see more of his family.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:49 am

Peach wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:40 am Anyone else hoping to see Cooler when the manga returns?

If the next arc is focused on Frieza, it would make sense to develop Frieza's character a bit and see more of his family.
That would be great! There are a lot speculations about this but i find it an interesting idea.

I hope we'll get new info about the next arc soon.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:22 am

If Coola ever does return, I'd prefer that Freeza never actually knew him or even of his existence. Coola in DBS could be the long-forgotten-about son of Cold that attempted too early to obtain power too great for his own good(perhaps planning on overthrowing Beerus as Hakaishin) and so, Cold had a group of mages take him away to a dimension where he is frozen in time(to complete the pun). It could be explained that Cold had so much pride in his firstborn that he felt it a waste to simply eliminate him, opting to have Coola sealed away; Cold learning enough from the experience to make his next son, Freeza, wary of ever challenging beings that might be a little too far up the food chain for them to handle. Everything seems to have gone to plan...until a renegade group of mages decides that the prospect of having the favor of a new Hakaishin is too good and plan on releasing Coola.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:37 pm

I can see kids believeing such fake leaks. Hell, I was 13 when DBAF started rolling and there were few plausible images credited to this fictional studio… but soon you ran into these weird and rudiculous fan arts, lack of official info, that it was crystal clear.

These weird dubious leaks can not seriously fly on such forums like Kanzenshuu, unless for fun purposes.
Like does anybody believe in a not so good photoshop mash-up with fan art and somebody claiming to be TOEI editor spraying inside info upon western audience? :lol:

But whoever posted this, made me laugh at least.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:16 pm

Peach wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:40 am Anyone else hoping to see Cooler when the manga returns?

No more rehashing old villains please. Three times is more than enough.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:08 pm

I have hoped that Cooler would be introduced as the first child of King Cold who sassed off to Beerus in a spur of a moment and so he and his henchmen who tried to back him up were locked in a pocket dimension where they've actually been training for a showdown with Beerus who totally forgot about them; explaining how Cooler is stronger than Frieza at his introduction and how his top men can fight against the current power levels Z-Fighters.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:19 pm

Geraldo wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:08 pm I have hoped that Cooler would be introduced as the first child of King Cold who sassed off to Beerus in a spur of a moment and so he and his henchmen who tried to back him up were locked in a pocket dimension where they've actually been training for a showdown with Beerus who totally forgot about them; explaining how Cooler is stronger than Frieza at his introduction and how his top men can fight against the current power levels Z-Fighters.
That's a pretty boring way to do Cooler. I feel a more interesting way of doing Cooler's story is by having his parentage be a bit different from Freeza's. Honestly there's like zero details about how their race works. I imagine they should have two methods of creating offspring.

1. Procreation between a Male and Female.
2. Cloning or some form of Cellular Division.

Say, Cooler was produced by the 1st method. King Cold taking in a female from what would be considered a Noble House in his territories, wanting to create an heir. Much like the Saiyans, his own kin are tested for their potential. Perhaps not entirely satisfied, Cold decides to test the other method with himself as the sole genetic provider. Thus Freeza is born some years after Cooler. Freeza tests better than Cooler had and it was decided Freeza would be his heir. The young Cooler, furious, argues with Cold about this decision. Even insofar as going to attack his father to prove his strength. However, the brash Cooler is summarily and viciously beaten for his disobedience, losing his left eye in the ensuing fight as punishment.

Furthermore, wanting to remove this weak stain from his family lineage, Cooler is exiled under threat of death should he ever seek to return, and his mother's family is executed for possessing inferior genetic stock. Cooler is cast away without a ship and without a healing tank to restore his ruined eye. Broken and defeated, he was forced to not only leave Cold's Empire, but the Northern Quadrant entirely. Cooler wishing for nothing more than to take revenge against his family and to take his rightful place as Emperor. But in order to do that, he'd need resources, he'd need power and, most importantly, he'd need an army. With nothing but his own body, Cooler ventures forth into the unknown, needing to find worlds with sentient life forms for him to dominate and control. He'd have to begin from scratch. But he has time and the drive to see his revenge fulfilled.

During his excursions, Cooler comes across a learning AI developed by a cyberneticist to aid in the learning and communication between different peoples. Cooler instead has it turned into a cybernetic eye he has implanted in his ruined left eye socket. Not only to restore his sight, but to use it to study the moves and techniques of his adversaries, aiding him in predicting their patterns of attack and learning the strength of their abilities. Cooler using it to develop his skills and train, as well as discern the weak from the strong in ways separate from proposed potential at birth. The Cybernetic Eye requiring upgrades and updating the more Cooler's abilities improved, as well as handling the uptick in his power and cognitive prowess when he transforms.

It would be more than a half-century of conquest and expansion of his territories. Possessing an Empire of his own, one could argue he has what he always desired. But he would never forget the humiliation nor the cruelty of his father for discarding him like he was garbage. Cooler would return and take what was owed to him. And he would kill his little brother to obtain it.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:40 pm

I always thought the coolest thing about Coola was that he didn't have a scouter. This seemed to imply that he didn't need to rely on that technology and may have even had some degree of ki sense. Well...that's headcanon. Maybe Toriyama forgot about scouters when he designed Coola.

If Coola were to return for Super, I would hope for something VERY different than his films. On that note, I don't want Golden or Black Coola (like Heroes). Everything with Freeza has been great so far, so I'd be happy for more of him and his personal life.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:21 am

I'd rather Coola also not have multiple forms like Freeza. It could be Freeza's thing to have many forms as he likes to manipulate his power to suit his ways while Coola on the other hand, prefers to have his one form with maximum power all of the time. If he and Freeza were to fight, Coola would have the advantage right off the bat instead of toying around in lower forms then finally deciding to get serious. It would be a nice break for a DB villain to not hold arbitrarily back for once.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:56 am

Could there be a new chapter this month? So far we got these recap databooks for last 2 months, but I think they've went over all the arcs and events now :think:

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:01 am

I doubt it, I don't see a planned release date in the Shonen Jump app, unlike Boruto for example, which is confirmed for November 20th as expected.

Besides, I guess they would make a big deal about the return of the manga, it's not something which they're going to be like "oh hi it's out tomorrow by the way".

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:16 am

nineko wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:01 am I doubt it, I don't see a planned release date in the Shonen Jump app, unlike Boruto for example, which is confirmed for November 20th as expected.

Besides, I guess they would make a big deal about the return of the manga, it's not something which they're going to be like "oh hi it's out tomorrow by the way".
True, but they might only announce the comeback midway through the month (when the drafts usually release)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:06 am

We already know there is no new chapter this month. The current issue of V-Jump continued to say as much. Been the same verbatim comment about the hiatus as the issue before.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:47 am

So, three months without a chapter? I know other manga have come back from much longer breaks but, from my experience, poorly explained "indefinite hiatuses" like this are rarely a good sign in a manga industry... or any area of the entertainment industry, for that matter. Especially one that has kept a consistent monthly schedule for many years.

If Super does return, I expect some major shake-ups behind the scenes. I'm half anticipating a change in authorship. All hypothetical at this point, but how would you guys react if that happens? I'd be sad to see Toyotaro go, but I'm very used to some of my preferred entertainment franchises changing hands and bringing in new creative blood regularly, so it wouldn't bother me that much.

I'd be very happy if Fenyo_N gets brought in, though I'm not sure about his experience in drawing full comics. When it comes to emulating Toriyama's art style(s), sense of humour, work ethic, irreverent approach to the material, etc, he's unparalleled in my eyes.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:50 am

What if the hiatus is to prepare for the manga's final arc? Oda took a month break before beginning the final arc of OP and I think the original manga had a week or two break between Cell and Buu sagas. I'm pretty sure I've come across other examples but can't think of them right now. If the next arc covers Super Hero in a page and moves ahead like with Broly, it would pretty close to EoZ. It would also line up with the anime supposedly returning next year or year after since this arc would be close to ending by the time the anime catches up.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:04 pm

The dude has been in effective constant monthly serialization for ten years (going back to Victory Mission, and excluding the couple short one-offs surrounding Resurrection F). I would say keep that in mind and take them at their word when they said — yes, they already told us this — that the break was to prepare for the next arc. Not sure why there needs to be wild doom-and-gloom speculation beyond that.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:23 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:04 pm The dude has been in effective constant monthly serialization for ten years (going back to Victory Mission, and excluding the couple short one-offs surrounding Resurrection F). I would say keep that in mind and take them at their word when they said — yes, they already told us this — that the break was to prepare for the next arc. Not sure why there needs to be wild doom-and-gloom speculation beyond that.
Who says it's doom-and-gloom? I mean yeah it's fair enough why they're doing it, but I've heard the same lines countless times; "oh, we're on hiatus but we're just preparing for a really big storyline, we're 100% surely definitely coming back", then it's either crickets for the next decade until everyone forgets or the series changes hands in some significant way. I would advise the exact opposite, don't take it completely at face value and keep expectations low, so if they really mean it, wahey, expectations surpassed! For the record, I kinda hope they do because I at least want to see Toyotaro wrap everything up before we presumably move onto the next chapter of the franchise, but I don't see the opposite happening as inherently negative either.

I know that all sounds a bit suspicious and conspiratorial but, well, in the words of Roger Daltrey, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q
Last edited by LoganForkHands73 on Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:24 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:23 pm
VegettoEX wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:04 pm The dude has been in effective constant monthly serialization for ten years (going back to Victory Mission, and excluding the couple short one-offs surrounding Resurrection F). I would say keep that in mind and take them at their word when they said — yes, they already told us this — that the break was to prepare for the next arc. Not sure why there needs to be wild doom-and-gloom speculation beyond that.
Who says it's doom-and-gloom? I mean yeah it's fair enough why they're doing it, but I've heard the same lines countless times; "oh, we're on hiatus but we're just preparing for a really big storyline, we're 100% surely definitely coming back", then it's either crickets for the next decade until everyone forgets or the series changes hands in some significant way. I would advise the exact opposite, don't take it completely at face value and keep expectations low, so if they really mean it, wahey, expectations surpassed! For the record, I kinda hope they do because I at least want to see Toyotaro wrap everything up before we presumably move onto the next chapter of the franchise, but I don't see the opposite happening as inherently negative either.
It's only been three months, let them sleep.

We'll probably get some kind of announcement at JUMP Festa in December.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:01 am

When you look at Dragon Ball on a corporate level, I'm a bit fearful that Toei has become aware that Dragon Ball no longer needs a manga or an anime to make money from Dragon Ball.

Has there been ANY CREDIBILE leaks about the manga or even the anime as of recent? Dragon Ball has become Toei's true cash cow and it doesn't have an anime or manga. Is it ever going to come back in those forms? All I have seen is gaming and toys. Which is even more startling because I remember as a kid it was SO HARD to find Dragon Ball games and toys. The franchise has grown far beyond what I think people assume.