Question About Viz Singles

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Question About Viz Singles

Post by SSGSS Goku » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:37 am

I’ve been wondering something about the English releases of the manga. I’ve had the 3-in-1s for a while now because they seemed like the least censored version, but I noticed even the Bulma middle finger scene is censored in that. I had been looking up a ton of stuff to figure out if these were still the least censored releases after since I’ve seen pictures of an English print release with Bulma’s middle finger kept in tact. I saw different sources saying they still were the least censored, others saying the first prints of the singles had less censorship and others saying that even new printings have less censorship (and only middle printings from a while back were affected or something). I’m just wondering if I buy the box sets (for both DB and DBZ) now, what kinds of censorship are there in comparison to the 3-in-1s whether it be more or less? And are the first prints of the manga truly the least censored release?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Question About Viz Singles

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:01 pm

Physical print VIZ singles are somthing that you have to try and find in person because it can be a hit or miss.

There are two kinds of censorship with VIZ

Visual: a lot of the singles I've seen in-store have the least vizual censorship than the slip on the 3-in1s. I dont recall Z have any less censorship on the 3in1s. Z I dont recall having anything uncensored that was edited in the singles. VIZ is pretty strict with Popo so I dont think we'll ever see a 100% uncensored release by VIZ.

Dialogue: This has censored with every release since for years (though I randomly find releases that have the original dialogue). The origial singles would have Bulma telling Goku he could "feel" her butt inseat of "peak". Some of the cussing in early Dragon Ball (Z) were changed as well to things like "DHNNN" and "UGHHHH!"

The photos are gone but I made this little guide on the 3in1s that still may be helpful
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28640

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Question About Viz Singles

Post by SSGSS Goku » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:45 pm

Awesome! Yeah I found the guide when searching up a few different things regarding this. It’s a shame cuz I like the idea of the 3-in-1s having the series all as Dragon Ball (like the Kanzenbans) and I think stuff like Popo is pretty understandable, but to have Bulma’s middle finger and Android 17’s gun still censored in an “uncensored” release is baffling to me. I guess I’ll have to try and get the box sets to see how they turn out. Thanks!