Dragon ball super super hero flashback hurts because I would love a remake with the good filler of dragon ball and z. :(

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Dragon ball super super hero flashback hurts because I would love a remake with the good filler of dragon ball and z. :(

Post by supersaiyamangod » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:11 pm

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon ball super super hero flashback hurts because I would love a remake with the good filler of dragon ball and z

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:56 pm

The original comic will get a new animated adaption someday. You just need to be patient.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon ball super super hero flashback hurts because I would love a remake with the good filler of dragon ball and z

Post by Lance Freeman » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:34 pm

Maybe they'll do one for the 40th anniversary, thought it honestly feels like they'd have a movie ready for that.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:58 am

DB and Z look as close to the manga as it can get, I'd rather they make a top quality remaster release than a remake.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:16 pm

That's the thing; all of the pieces are kinda already there for the perfect animated version of DB's manga (other than some of the really badly-animated episodes), they just haven't really fit them together in a way that works. There are plenty of filler episodes worth keeping, it's the glacial pace of the manga content that kills it. We're not lacking for good-quality footage of the series! It just keeps getting destroyed whenever it's rereleased. We have the high quality audio now! Except the official side is seemingly not allowed to use it for some reason.

I honestly have no idea if this kind of stuff will ever be fully addressed on an official level. I think the perfect watchable version of DB is going to come from fans, possibly fanedits of fanedits. DB Recut is almost there. When the AB blu-rays are done (or surpassed by a better release, god willing) and used in that, there will be almost nothing I could complain about in terms of its function as an adaptation.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:31 pm

Shaddy wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:16 pm That's the thing; all of the pieces are kinda already there for the perfect animated version of DB's manga (other than some of the really badly-animated episodes), they just haven't really fit them together in a way that works. There are plenty of filler episodes worth keeping, it's the glacial pace of the manga content that kills it. We're not lacking for good-quality footage of the series! It just keeps getting destroyed whenever it's rereleased. We have the high quality audio now! Except the official side is seemingly not allowed to use it for some reason.

I honestly have no idea if this kind of stuff will ever be fully addressed on an official level. I think the perfect watchable version of DB is going to come from fans, possibly fanedits of fanedits. DB Recut is almost there. When the AB blu-rays are done (or surpassed by a better release, god willing) and used in that, there will be almost nothing I could complain about in terms of its function as an adaptation.
The only reason I say this is I’ve seen reanimations done by toei that look really really good and in some instances better than the original though sadly that‘s few and far between but it gives you an idea of what a proper remake keyword proper remake could be because let’s not forget super and the disaster that was sailor moon crystal seasons 1 and 2. A proper remake dragon ball and z and maybe throw in jaco as a mini series as well sweet bonus treat. Proper remake with no major off model issues etc. yeah I’m all for it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:57 pm

The 2015 Dragon Ball Super and Sailor Moon Crystal were made during a very different era for Toei Animation, so I wouldn't 'begin negotiations' thinking that we would wind up with series like that. A new adaption of the 1984 comic would likely be handled with a lot more care these days if post-2019 Toei cartoons are any example.
She/Her
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:19 pm

Based on the new adaptation of Sailor Moon, it feels like what we would get would be a show that confuses speed for good pacing.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:49 pm

Why??? we have the original series as is. remakes are not even close to needed. if anything it would probably end up as shite as super is because they'd try to differentiate it

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:54 pm

dragonmagico wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:49 pm Why??? we have the original series as is. remakes are not even close to needed. if anything it would probably end up as shite as super is because they'd try to differentiate it
There was no reason to make the 1986 cartoon either and yet here we are.

Let's see if a new crew has something they are exicited to make. Toei Animation has some really exciting new creators that could re-adapt the comic with exciting new ideas and make something better than the 1986 animated series.
She/Her
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:01 pm

How would it improve anything? The original series is just the manga with scenes and episodes to fill in the gaps and take up time.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:54 pm

Might be unpopular but I have zero desire to see Dragon Ball and DBZ remade. Both shows(Especially since Z got a Kai) holds up well if you ask me. Dragon Ball might look more dated than Z but overall both are digestible.

I'm all for flashbacks being re-animated but the whole series? Nah. The only benefit would be Kid Goku's adventure getting some mainstream attention for once but that's about it. Plus I feel like they would use the manga version of Goku first SSJ transformation not the much better anime version.

You're essentially asking the Japanese cast to redo the lines for the 100th time. Which is why Super's voice acting is far superior than Kai's voice acting. Even if you want to recast the majority of the cast I don't think they would go well.

What benefits are there to remaking the anime? I understand anime, tv shows, and movies get remade all the time but honestly most remakes DONT be worth it in my opinion. Every now and again you'll get a good one but most don't capture the charm of the original.
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:01 pm

ATA wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:54 pm Might be unpopular but I have zero desire to see Dragon Ball and DBZ remade. Both shows(Especially since Z got a Kai) holds up well if you ask me. Dragon Ball might look more dated than Z but overall both are digestible.

I'm all for flashbacks being re-animated but the whole series? Nah. The only benefit would be Kid Goku's adventure getting some mainstream attention for once but that's about it. Plus I feel like they would use the manga version of Goku first SSJ transformation not the much better anime version.

You're essentially asking the Japanese cast to redo the lines for the 100th time. Which is why Super's voice acting is far superior than Kai's voice acting. Even if you want to recast the majority of the cast I don't think they would go well.

What benefits are there to remaking the anime? I understand anime, tv shows, and movies get remade all the time but honestly most remakes DONT be worth it in my opinion. Every now and again you'll get a good one but most don't capture the charm of the original.
I am entirely happy with having a new voice cast in addition to a new production staff.
She/Her
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:11 pm

ATA wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:54 pm Nah. The only benefit would be Kid Goku's adventure getting some mainstream attention for once but that's about it.
I dunno I think pre-Z Dragon Ball getting any kind of attention is always good. Even if all a remake accomplishes is reminding people the original Dragon Ball exist.

I feel like the point of a remake would be to be different while also kind of being the same. A different cast, a different art style, an update on certain things (and I'm not strictly talking about the humor either)
Remakes are usually a pretty good way to bring attention back to the original. Especially something like pre-Z Dragon Ball which is widely known but not widely watched.

We don't need a remake, but it wouldn't be the worst thing ever if we got one even if it ended up sucking. (Which is hey pretty likely!)

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:04 am

If they do a remake I hope it's seasonal with a big budget so it actually looks good, otherwise it would be pointless.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:03 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:04 am If they do a remake I hope it's seasonal with a big budget so it actually looks good, otherwise it would be pointless.
The most important factor is production time and staff. They can throw a bunch of money at the project and it won't really matter if episodes are beginning production a month before they have to air, after all.

My hope is that the production would take after the 2020 adaption of Dragon Quest: Dai no Dai-Bouken, whichbhad over 20 episodes finished before Episode #1 even aired. That's a hell of a lot better than the 2015 Dragon Ball Super animated series not having Episode #5 finished the day it actually aired.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:10 am

If we do get a new anime adaptation of the original manga I hope it has great animation, pacing, music, etc. All the good stuff. If it looks like the new Broli movie then that would be great. Realistically though the chances of this happening aren't much. I mean it could happen. I hope it does. But just I don't think Toei can make an 80-150 episode remake that has fantastic animation, pacing, and music.
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:56 pm The original comic will get a new animated adaption someday. You just need to be patient.
I've been patient for years at this point. The whole Dragon ball community has. We still don't have a good home release of Z. After what? 20 years. My point is if a new remake happens... it happens. If it doesn't I won't be waiting and holding my breath for the possibility of a new (good) remake.

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:16 am

supersaiyamangod wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:11 pm Dragon ball super super hero flashback hurts because I would love a remake with the good filler of dragon ball and z. :(
The flashback at the beginning of the movie has filler scenes on it? Care to give any examples?

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:57 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:56 pm The original comic will get a new animated adaption someday. You just need to be patient.
Are there any examples of that happening for other anime? I can only think of reboots like FMA Brotherhood, HxH, and new DQ to adapt more of the source material. The original manga has already been fully adapted so a reboot would just be reanimating the entire series again.

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:02 am

Skar wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:57 am
Are there any examples of that happening for other anime? I can only think of reboots like FMA Brotherhood, HxH, and new DQ to adapt more of the source material. The original manga has already been fully adapted so a reboot would just be reanimating the entire series again.
I may be mistaken, but Rurouni Kenshin is probably going to get a full reboot in 2023.