Dragon ball super super hero flashback hurts because I would love a remake with the good filler of dragon ball and z. :(

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: Dragon ball super super hero flashback hurts because I would love a remake with the good filler of dragon ball and z

Post by Skar » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:24 am

Ssj3Engels wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:02 amI may be mistaken, but Rurouni Kenshin is probably going to get a full reboot in 2023.
The original Rurouni Kenshin anime didn't cover the entire manga since it ended before the manga did. I think that would be similar to the examples I gave. I meant if there were any reboots of an anime that already fully adapted its source material.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon ball super super hero flashback hurts because I would love a remake with the good filler of dragon ball and z

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:44 pm

Bajosexto wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:10 am If we do get a new anime adaptation of the original manga I hope it has great animation, pacing, music, etc. All the good stuff. If it looks like the new Broli movie then that would be great. Realistically though the chances of this happening aren't much. I mean it could happen. I hope it does. But just I don't think Toei can make an 80-150 episode remake that has fantastic animation, pacing, and music.
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:56 pm The original comic will get a new animated adaption someday. You just need to be patient.
I've been patient for years at this point. The whole Dragon ball community has. We still don't have a good home release of Z. After what? 20 years. My point is if a new remake happens... it happens. If it doesn't I won't be waiting and holding my breath for the possibility of a new (good) remake.
Yeah, I've been patient for years, too. It might even take another ten or twenty years, who knows?! Sometimes things take a while. I've been waiting for a lot of things for a long time, too, not just another animated adaption of a 38 year old comic.
Skar wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:57 am Are there any examples of that happening for other anime? I can only think of reboots like FMA Brotherhood, HxH, and new DQ to adapt more of the source material. The original manga has already been fully adapted so a reboot would just be reanimating the entire series again.
Those three, Shaman King, GeGeGe no Kitarou has had five or six different adaptions. I'm sure I'm forgetting some titles.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:49 pm

What are we looking to gain by a new adaptation other than less filler and better-quality visuals, or is that it?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:52 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:44 pmThose three, Shaman King, GeGeGe no Kitarou has had five or six different adaptions. I'm sure I'm forgetting some titles.
I was trying to make a distinction between the two types of reboots. The three I mentioned and Shaman King had a series that ended before the manga did so the reboot was to cover the rest of the story. I meant if there are any reboots of an anime that already fully adapted its manga. I guess Kitaro could be an example but that has a reboot every ten years or so. Toei wasn't willing to make a Kai version of the original DB so a completely reanimated reboot seems unlikely.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:56 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:49 pm What are we looking to gain by a new adaptation other than less filler and better-quality visuals, or is that it?
The different perspectives and ideas of dozens of different creators.
Skar wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:52 pm I was trying to make a distinction between the two types of reboots. The three I mentioned and Shaman King had a series that ended before the manga did so the reboot was to cover the rest of the story. I meant if there are any reboots of an anime that already fully adapted its manga. I guess Kitaro could be an example but that has a reboot every ten years or so. Toei wasn't willing to make a Kai version of the original DB so a completely reanimated reboot seems unlikely.
None that I can recall, other than Rurouni Kenshin, but I'd rather just not ever think about that series again.
She/Her
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:31 pm

Bajosexto wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:10 am If we do get a new anime adaptation of the original manga I hope it has great animation, pacing, music, etc. All the good stuff. If it looks like the new Broli movie then that would be great. Realistically though the chances of this happening aren't much. I mean it could happen. I
It couldn't happen. A tv series isn't going to have the same assets to make something look as good as a theatrical movie that was only released a few years ago.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:46 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:56 pm The different perspectives and ideas of dozens of different creators.
So, Dragon Ball if it was written by someone else? I'm legitimately trying to figure out what you mean because "different perspectives" is vague.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:38 pm

Skar wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:52 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:44 pmThose three, Shaman King, GeGeGe no Kitarou has had five or six different adaptions. I'm sure I'm forgetting some titles.
I was trying to make a distinction between the two types of reboots. The three I mentioned and Shaman King had a series that ended before the manga did so the reboot was to cover the rest of the story. I meant if there are any reboots of an anime that already fully adapted its manga. I guess Kitaro could be an example but that has a reboot every ten years or so. Toei wasn't willing to make a Kai version of the original DB so a completely reanimated reboot seems unlikely.
Not a manga, but... The visual novel Kanon. Got a 13-episode TV series by Toei Animation in 2002 and then another by KyoAni in 2006. The visual novel was a one-and-done deal. The two basically ended the same way. For some reason Key Visual Arts back in the mid-2000s had this thing where Toei and KyoAni would both adapt their games... at the same time in the case of Air and Clannad, even, where Toei made movies and KyoAni made TV shows.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:48 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:46 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:56 pm The different perspectives and ideas of dozens of different creators.
So, Dragon Ball if it was written by someone else? I'm legitimately trying to figure out what you mean because "different perspectives" is vague.
Yeah. Literally what ever other good anime out there does.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:05 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:31 pm
Bajosexto wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:10 am If we do get a new anime adaptation of the original manga I hope it has great animation, pacing, music, etc. All the good stuff. If it looks like the new Broli movie then that would be great. Realistically though the chances of this happening aren't much. I mean it could happen.
It couldn't happen. A tv series isn't going to have the same assets to make something look as good as a theatrical movie that was only released a few years ago.
By "looking" like the new Broli movie I didn't mean it in a literal way. I was talking more about the new art style. If a new Anime gets made I hope it has that art style and not the terrible Yamamuro designs.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:38 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:48 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:46 pm
I don't see any benefit to this. If it's a new writer(s), it may as well be a new franchise.

To my knowledge, Yu Yu Hakusho is just the one anime and it's perfectly fine as such.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:10 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:38 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:46 pm So, Dragon Ball if it was written by someone else? I'm legitimately trying to figure out what you mean because "different perspectives" is vague.
I don't see any benefit to this. If it's a new writer(s), it may as well be a new franchise.

To my knowledge, Yu Yu Hakusho is just the one anime and it's perfectly fine as such.
Using Yuu Yuu Hakusho as an example just proves my point. What made that animated series so good in comparison to the comic it was based on was the various different voices that worked on the series. Shinbou Akiyuki's storyboards and episode direction were so strong that all of the other storyboard artists and episode directors—including Series Director Abe Noriyuki—elevated their skills to even try to come near the talent of their episodes. Wakabayashi Atsushi's animation revolutionized television action and character acting animation. The other animators were competing with each other to try and one-up one another.

Dragon Ball (1986) had none of that creative punch behind it.
She/Her
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:33 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:10 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:38 pm

Using Yuu Yuu Hakusho as an example just proves my point. What made that animated series so good in comparison to the comic it was based on was the various different voices that worked on the series. Shinbou Akiyuki's storyboards and episode direction were so strong that all of the other storyboard artists and episode directors—including Series Director Abe Noriyuki—elevated their skills to even try to come near the talent of their episodes. Wakabayashi Atsushi's animation revolutionized television action and character acting animation. The other animators were competing with each other to try and one-up one another.

Dragon Ball (1986) had none of that creative punch behind it.
Why it was great is because of its story, tone, and characters. If you don't have a compelling story, no amount of great animation matters.

Dragon Ball is great because Toriyama created a world that was fun and idiosyncratic, with simple but compelling action. DB absolutely has that creative punch behind it bc it is Toriyama's story. The best action is figured out at the story stage.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:53 pm

Ssj3Engels wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:16 am
supersaiyamangod wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:11 pm Dragon ball super super hero flashback hurts because I would love a remake with the good filler of dragon ball and z. :(
The flashback at the beginning of the movie has filler scenes on it? Care to give any examples?
Seriously I’m surprised but that’s proves my point that what I was talking about keep the good filer cutting the bad.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:15 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:56 pmThe different perspectives and ideas of dozens of different creators.
I think Path to Power is the closest we'll get to something like that. It works as a film reimagining the earliest sagas but might not have added much if it was a +100 episode reboot. I

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:47 am

I wouldn't mind Dragon Ball original anime getting a remake, other anime when they get a remake they look way better than the original. However they should keep DBS anime terrible writing and terrible ideas away from this Dragon Ball remake.

They can get ideas from other great anime.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:29 am

I mean, if we're gonna what if a reboot of Dragon Ball, I'd like to see it if David Productions were allowed to take a crack at it. I've definitely enjoyed the way they were able to bring some of the more comic book-ey aspects of JoJo and Urusei Yatsura into animation.