The one main quality and the one main flaw for every movie

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cold Skin
I Live Here

The one main quality and the one main flaw for every movie

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:43 pm

If you had to define the one main positive aspect and the one main negative aspect of every movie, what would you say?
Theatrical films, modern films, the television specials that usually get included in movie collections, as well as Jump Festa specials and video games specials are all included in the following list, so feel free to express yourself.

You can use the template below if you want (in the spoilers), feel free to ignore a few movies/specials that don't inspire you, nobody forces you to answer every single one!

Try to stick to only one positive and one negative aspect, so that it pushes you to choose what's most striking to you!
It would also be good to avoid being one-sided, try to find both something good and bad to say, not just something good like there's not a single flaw, nor just something bad like there's not a single quality in the movie!

Last edited by Cold Skin on Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The one main quality and the one main flaw for every movie

Post by Cipher » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:36 am

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:14 pm

Legend of Shen Long

Main Quality- A nice "refresher" of the first 13 episodes
Main Flaw- Too much of a repeat of the first 13 episodes

Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle

Main Quality: Dragon Ball does horror!
Main Flaw: Oozaru Goku feels tacked on just because they forgot to do that in movie 1

Mystical Adventure

Main Quality- Emperor Chaozu and the whole Mifan Empire aspect

Main Flaw- Movie kind of loses me after Goku gets Dodonpa'd to Karin Tower

Return my Gohan

Main Quality- If I can only pick one, I guess Kikuchi's score

Main Flaw- Tenkaichi Gohan, although amusing for being an acid sequence with a toddler, only seems to be there to give the kindergarteners and first graders in the audience something to bop their heads too

The World's Strongest Guy

Main Quality- Roshi's best showcasing in the movies

Main Flaw- The start of Koyama's(?) weird fascination with giving Oolong a bigger role and some weird pal relationship with Gohan that definitely didn't exist in the main series

Hey! Didn't Shazam 2 rip this movie off?

Main Quality- Turles is a cool villain

Main Flaw- The non-Piccolo Z Warriors get treated like chumps

Super Saiyan Son Goku
Main Quality- Fake Super Saiyan looks pretty cool

Main Flaw- When your Japanese Title is Super Saiyajin Son Goku you expect that to be the main draw but he doesn't even defeat Piccolo Daimao 2: Electric Boogaloo in that form

He aint Freeza, he's Coola
Main Quality- Goku's Super Saiyan transformation is quite nice, even if Messiah Goku is a bit controversial given it's the exact opposite of Toriyama's intent

Main Flaw- Cooler's Squad I know the Ginyu Force, I enjoyed the Ginyu Force and you guys are not the Ginyu Force

Metal Coola

Main Quality- The 10,000,000 Cooler's theme that got repurposed as Cell's motif was dope

Main Flaw- Zzzzzz, I'm sorry did a movie happen?

The Three Super Saiyajin
Main Quality- Goku getting punched in the Gotens

Main Flaw- I think this movie wants us to believe 13-15 are stronger than 17 and 18 which lolololololol no.

Legend of Broccoli

Main Quality- Broly laying the WWE Smackdown

Main Flaw- Broly's motivation is uh something something fate? Is that what we're going with now? He's drawn to hate Goku because they were born on the same day or some shit?

Bojack, the Space Pirate, obviously.

Main Quality- The Tournament stuff is so much fun! It almost makes you forget that...

Main Flaw- ... the villains are super boring. Bojack sharing his name with a depressed cartoon horse who came out 20 years later is probably the most entertaining thing about theses losers

Two Saiyan Brats and a Lady

Main Quality- Trunks pissing on Broli

Main Flaw- Broli couldn't snap Videl in two because...? Like we're supposed to believe Rage Machine was holding back? Okay

Oh hey Android 18 is in this one

Main Quality- Android 18 and Mr. Satan

Main Flaw- No. More. Broli.

Fusion Reborn

Main Quality- Gotenks vs Hitler

Main Flaw- Majin Buu remix

Kaiju movie

Main Quality- The Tapion and Trunks gives the movie a little more heart than you usually get in a Dragon Ball movie

Main Flaw- Goku finishes off the monster de jour because uh we already decided on the title and need to promote his new signature attack in the upcoming Dragon Ball GT

OG Dragon Ball in GT Drag- The 10th anniversary special

Main Quality- The animation is gorgeous

Main Flaw- I miss Kohei Miyauchi

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:14 pm

Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:46 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:14 pm*SNIP*
I remember on the contrary, I really enjoyed DBZ Movie 7, while feeling bored with Movies 8, 10, and 11. Maybe I should give those three another watch one of these days. Don't know if it'll change my opinion, but even so, I'd probably still enjoy Movie 7.

Talking about unpopular opinions, I remember you said that you really enjoyed the fake Namek episodes. Likewise.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:05 pm

Cipher wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:36 am
I hope this is about the arguably bad remake, because the original for me is one of the best pieces of unique DB media out there. I absolutely love how different it was compared to the main movies.
Gaffer Tape wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:14 pm
As I already said above, it feeling like video game was intentional and IMO a great part of the charm. The remake by taking it away sucked all the soul off.
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:14 pm Main Flaw- Goku finishes off the monster de jour because uh we already decided on the title and need to promote his new signature attack in the upcoming Dragon Ball GT
I really doubt they already had written the Eis Shenron fight by that point :lol:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:52 pm

Dead Zone: Great pacing. Can't think of any major flaw.

World's Strongest: Awesome fight scenes. Drags in places.

Tree of Might: It's awesome seeing all the Z Fighters team up. Some of their fights feel too brief through.

Lord Slug: Really good final fight. Slug is a bit too obvious of a rehash of Piccolo.

Cooler's Revenge: Goku vs Cooler is awesome, but it does end a bit fast after Goku goes SS1.

Return of Cooler: Goku and Vegeta's team up is cool. Not seeing them actually fight a billion Coolers is a letdown.

Super Android 13: Fun fights all around. The plot is very thin, but it's a DBZ movie and it knows it.

Broly 1: Actually a really cool villain. Vegeta is made to look like a coward which feels out of character.

Bojack Unbound: It's different. Bojack doesn't feel that threatening after Broly.

Broly 2: Cool final battle. Boring middle portion.

Broly 3: Unique cast at the forefront.

Fusion Reborn: Gogeta is badass. No flaws that I can think of.

Wrath of the Dragon: Really fleshed out story. Villains feel a bit bland.

Battle of Gods: Great story that feels like it leaves endless possibilities. Some of the comedy with Pilaf falls flat and hurts the pacing.

Resurrection F: It's cool seeing everyone team up. SSB feels rushed and half-assed.

DBS Broly: Gogeta is badass again. It encorporates stuff from Episode of Bardock, which is less interesting than the OG Special Bardock: Father of Goku.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:29 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:05 pm As I already said above, it feeling like video game was intentional and IMO a great part of the charm. The remake by taking it away sucked all the soul off.
Had it gone all the way with that idea, I'd agree with you. However, it cuts out all the interesting parts from the game. Rather than feeling like a game, it feels like a random cutscene generator. But I do agree the remake sucks all the soul out. My only point was, if you're going to cut out the game feel, which both of them do, you might as well go all the way and structure it like a traditional story, and the remake at least manages that... barely.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:55 pm

Z Movie 1
Pro: It was between the fight choreography and Kikuchi's score, and I think ultimately I'll go with the latter because it might be his best work
Con: The Dead Zone was such a lazy "How can we come up with a way to get rid of an Immortal enemy?" copout because of how stupid it requires Garlic to be

Movie 2
Pro: The old school DB feel that came from using such a wide cast with folks like Roshi, Oolong, and Bulma
Con: Honestly, can't think of any. I love this one

Movie 3
Pro: The premise of an Evil Mirror Goku is interesting, but...
Con: They don't really do anything with it beyond the surface level "He looks like Goku" and Goku's throwaway "I'm glad I hit my head!" line

Movie 4
Pro: The apocalyptic atmosphere
Con: The story it was rehashing was such old hat

Movie 5
Pro: Cooler's a great character
Con: There's really not much of a plot going on here

Movie 6
Pro: Goku and Vegeta's team-up
Con: Again, just another fight scenario - a melting pot of different mainline beats dumped together

Movie 7
Pro: The dub looking at the source material and just deciding to be wacky to inject some life into things
Con: Barren and formulaic. Just nothing here

Movie 8
Pro: Strongly fleshed out motivation for Broly and Paragus but...
Con: It's a bit flimsy due to how much it comes completely from exposition.

Movie 9
Pro: SUPER SAIYAN 2
Con: Bojack and his crew are the blandest movie villains. Well, the Androids 13-15 might be blander but at least the dub gave them personalities :shrug:. Because of that, it makes the flip from the Tournament to the main plot feel like such a letdown

Movie 10
Pro: The Krillin/Piccolo gag
Con: We are now firmly into "Dumb Broly"

Movie 11
Pro: They deviated from the formula in every way, with the shlocky sci-fi movie plot and using neglected characters
Con: But it just kinda sucks

Movie 12
Pro: A fun, wacky atmosphere
Con: Everything gets wrapped up too quickly

Movie 13
Pro: The most fleshed out plot of the main series movies
Con: Goku being the big damn hero undermines everything
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:48 pm

I'll just go ahead and list the main flaw for almost every movie: a dumb final encounter

That's why Super Broly is tops, the last fight is a FIGHT.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:07 pm

Okay, let's try this too.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:17 pm

I'm indifferent to most of them. Dragon Ball never fails in the soundtrack department but I don't feel like putting it in the "main quality" for all of them.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:52 pm

I will only post about the ones I care for:

Tree of Might: the space warrior characters were very interesting too. Krillin and Yamcha are still at a competive level and ... you said one thing right? Ok:it is a movie that has a good balance in comedy that very much feels like original dragon ball before everything would be about power scaling. Downside: not related to main timeline.

Super Android 13: A lot of action, continues om the RR lore, downside not related to be regular time line.

Broly 1: totally unnecessary movie and character, weak plot: broly is upset cause baby goku cried..

Bojack Unbound: it is entertaining, nothing more. I like bulma's outift there

Fusion Reborn: it is original and exciting, downside: does not fit with the regular timeline

Battle of Gods: As a story it is entertaining, downside: it contradicts the original time line where for example Bura was born before Pan as clearly seen in end of Z.

DBS Broly: the fighting scenes are nicely done, downside: it is dragon ball super

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:23 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:52 pmit contradicts the original time line where for example Bura was born before Pan as clearly seen in end of Z.
May you show us the exact part from "end of Z" where we can "clearly see" Bra is older than Pan, please?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:47 am

My takes:
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:44 pm

I think the best qualities of each film are always the parts that Toriyama Akira could never contribute himself. I think the weakest parts of the films are that they always try to put the toys back in the box neatly, thus defeating the purpose and benefit of many of their side story and ill-fitting continuity elements.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:19 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:44 pm I think the best qualities of each film are always the parts that Toriyama Akira could never contribute himself. I think the weakest parts of the films are that they always try to put the toys back in the box neatly, thus defeating the purpose and benefit of many of their side story and ill-fitting continuity elements.
This is exactly what I'd have said too. I think that Toriyama can come up with interesting ideas, but his ideas mostly shine when others interfer and give him better directives. From my understanding, he is way into "I do this because it's fun/funny/cool/awesome", some people might like it but I don't. I sincerely think that his work becomes more appreciable with the help of others. But ofc, it's his piece of work so he does what he "wants". Now, if I have to say one good thing for most of the movies is that we can see their "everyday life" like the shopping scene in movie 7 etc.. and it's always a + for me.

Anyway, I didn't watch all the movies but I'll give my take on the movies I've watched:

Dead Zone

Main Quality- How the movie starts with the unknown enemies with the sound effect in the background & the intriguing atmosphere.

Main Flaw- The main's villain design.

The World's Strongest

Main Quality- Gohan's Piccolo song... (Joke joke) in all seriousness I like all this "mad scientist" aspect of the movie + cool design for Dr.Wheelo.

Main Flaw- The amount of time it takes for them to actually meet the main villain.

The Tree of Might

Main Quality- Bad side of Goku + cool-looking-tree.

Main Flaw- Nothing more than just being a bad Goku.

Bardock - The Father of Goku

Main Quality- Everything that is related to planet Vegeta and Bardock's relation with his crew, his development, being Goku's father and a cool character.

Main Flaw- The ending where he throws a small ki blast or whatever and expects to change the futur... maybe a more impactful final attack would make the scene better.

Coola's Revenge

Main Quality- Cool design, awesome transformation + Coola being Frieza's big brotha. Goku and the bird scene that shows once again his pure side and that he cares for all the living beings, its a masterclass.

Main Flaw- Just being Frieza's big brotha.

The Return of Coola

Main Quality- Coola being Coolar and bringing more Coolas. Big Gete Star is a cool concept.

Main Flaw- Just another Coola movie where he loses.

Super Android 13

Main Quality- Getting a glimpse of C-13.

Main Flaw- Everything else?

The History of Trunks

Main Quality- All this dramatic atmosphere, all this despair. Trunks' transformation.

Main Flaw- No new characters. And the characters are whatever to me, I'm not particularly fond of them.

Bully - The Legendary Super Saiyan

Main Quality- Broly's design and sad backstory. How big Bully puts Vegeta in his place.

Main Flaw- Broly's ambiguous motivation, mostly interpreted in the wrong way. Unfortunately...

Bojack Unbound

Main Quality- Cool tournament, cool fights, cool crew, cool Gohan+Goku moment, cool Gohan SSJ2 transformation.

Main Flaw- The villains are.. easily forgettable. Like most of them. Yamcha getting Yamched.

Bully - Second Coming

Main Quality- Bully normal SSJ form. Gohan vs SSJ Bully. Final scene.

Main Flaw- All the memes around Bully start because of this movie...

Bio-Bull

Main Quality- Rivalry between Satan and Jaguar. The start of the movie is very interesting, enjoyable and fun.

Main Flaw- All the memes around big Bully are even more strengthened because of this movie... sad

Fusion Reborn

Main Quality- Pikkon. Janemba's cool attacks, all the cool fights. Gogeta.

Main Flaw- Janemba is a giant baby.

Wrath of the Dragon

Main Quality- Tapion's design, his backstory, the melody, his relation with Trunks, all the good stuff.

Main Flaw- The main villain is... original but easily forgettable.

Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans (only watched the remake)

Main Quality- It's nice to see that they tried to make a movie around the Tuffles + Hatchiyack's design is very good!

Main Flaw- It's lacking... they could have done so much better...

Episode of Bardock

Main Quality- Cool transformation. Bardock's interaction with the warmhearted little being (dunno its name).

Main Flaw- How did he end up in the past? + Chilled is uglier than Frieza's first form, what's up with the orange swimsuit?

Battle of Gods

Main Quality- Cool new characters, cool fights.

Main Flaw- SSGod transformation... too skinny. Once again another movie that revolves around Goku.

Resurrection 'F'

Main Quality- The song.

Main Flaw- Worse than Bio Bully.

DBS Bully

Main Quality- Saiyans' background. Cute Bully? amazing animation.

Main Flaw- Too much dynamic effects... S Bully seems more bland than Z Bully... long azz-fights for no reason...

Super Hero

Main Quality- The new characters, specially the Gammas! Piccolo & Pan got more screentime. No Goku & Vegeta involved.

Main Flaw- Beast Gohan is just a no-no for me.