AB Video to release original Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bloodthroe

Re: AB Video to release OG Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Post by Bloodthroe » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:02 pm

Has anyone who has obtained this set found it easy to separate the language from the rest of the audio, so you can insert the english dub?

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:50 am

Gilby1385 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:57 amThe Slump Boxes did this too, at least with some of the Hoyoyo discs.
Another one to add to my list that kept the original order on DVD would be Wing-Man (Ryo Horikawa's first Anime). Strangely enough, Saint Seiya always had the preview after the credits. I know this from watching a couple of original broadcasts.

Caulifor
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Caulifor » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:28 pm

So... any news from France on volume 2 of this release?
Have they announced anything or has it been complete radio silence since volume 1 came out?

I'm using this release for my own personal Dragon Ball Recut and the wait for part 2 has been... tough :(
I haven't watched most of the anime in a long time, but I did read the manga over and over again.
That is where most of my knowledge from the series come from.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:18 pm

Bloodthroe wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:02 pm Has anyone who has obtained this set found it easy to separate the language from the rest of the audio, so you can insert the english dub?
Can't this be done using MKVToolNix like the rest?

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:50 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:18 pm Can't this be done using MKVToolNix like the rest?
In general, unless you have the audio as separate stems (which is highly unlikely for the BA recordings), then it's impossible.
If it's 5.1, you would have to combine the tracks using something like either Audacity or Adobe Audition, MKVToolNix is just for including the exported audio track into the video file again.
Editing the audio proper is a task for other programs, strictly speaking.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:25 pm

But you're not editing audio in the case. Add two video files: the DB Blu-ray and [insert DB release here], uncheck the non-BD video file, sync it up with a time code, and merge (or whatever it is). I've done this with the Japanese movie BDs to pretty good multiple audio track and subtitle results.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:48 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:25 pm But you're not editing audio in the case. Add two video files: the DB Blu-ray and [insert DB release here], uncheck the non-BD video file, sync it up with a time code, and merge (or whatever it is). I've done this with the Japanese movie BDs to pretty good multiple audio track and subtitle results.
Now I think I get it.
But what the person who made the initial request was asking was to "separate the language from the rest of the audio", which sounds like something more complex than simply including an ENG audio track alongside the JPN and FR ones.
Seems that the individual has yet to clarify what it is the request means in detail.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:26 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:48 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:25 pm But you're not editing audio in the case. Add two video files: the DB Blu-ray and [insert DB release here], uncheck the non-BD video file, sync it up with a time code, and merge (or whatever it is). I've done this with the Japanese movie BDs to pretty good multiple audio track and subtitle results.
Now I think I get it.
But what the person who made the initial request was asking was to "separate the language from the rest of the audio", which sounds like something more complex than simply including an ENG audio track alongside the JPN and FR ones.
Seems that the individual has yet to clarify what it is the request means in detail.
Oh. I just interpreted it as if you can sync the dub to the video.

Bloodthroe

Post by Bloodthroe » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:41 am

My request was to separate the language from the rest of the audio, since this blu-ray release uses the broadcast audio. My hope was to combine it with my preferred language if possible.

DefinitiveDubs
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DefinitiveDubs » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:28 pm

Caulifor wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:28 pm So... any news from France on volume 2 of this release?
Have they announced anything or has it been complete radio silence since volume 1 came out?

I'm using this release for my own personal Dragon Ball Recut and the wait for part 2 has been... tough :(
It took 2.5 years from announcement for volume 1 to come out, and it's the first 68 episodes. I assume volume 2 will comprise the other 85 episodes, so by my estimate, we might see it by very late next year. 2025 seems more likely, though.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:34 pm

Bloodthroe wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:41 am My request was to separate the language from the rest of the audio, since this blu-ray release uses the broadcast audio. My hope was to combine it with my preferred language if possible.
Forgot to mention, it's a 2 channel VHS mono recording rather than a studio-level multichannel PCM file. That's not going to be easy or probably even possible even for professional audio engineers (especially given that there's nothing to do phase inversion with).

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:55 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:34 pm
Bloodthroe wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:41 am My request was to separate the language from the rest of the audio, since this blu-ray release uses the broadcast audio. My hope was to combine it with my preferred language if possible.
Forgot to mention, it's a 2 channel VHS mono recording rather than a studio-level multichannel PCM file. That's not going to be easy or probably even possible even for professional audio engineers (especially given that there's nothing to do phase inversion with).
AI can do separation pretty well and it's going even better BUT i think it couldn't be used for any project like that.
Why? SFX
i tried randomly to use FUNI 5.1 track (only taking everything without vocals) and tried to mixed in with tokai BA vocal track using AI to get vocals only
FUNI 5.1 lack some sfx and ai "instrumental" tracks can have remaining vocals or some audios artifact
if your dub still use "master audio" from the 80's, there's no need to have "BA" cause most dub use "cristal clear" bgm sfx track

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:53 am

If you don't want the Japanese voice acting, what exactly do you want from the broadcast audio that your preferred dub doesn't already have? Music? Sound effects? The only reason the broadcast audio is coveted is because it's such a higher quality version of specifically the Japanese performances. If all you want is the remastered visuals with your native audio, nobody needs to bother editing the broadcast track.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:02 am

Joujou wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:55 amif your dub still use "master audio" from the 80's, there's no need to have "BA" cause most dub use "cristal clear" bgm sfx track
Best example I can think of is any of the Chinese dubs, particularly Cantonese. But idk if they even completed it or how it can be attained.
Shaddy wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:53 am If you don't want the Japanese voice acting, what exactly do you want from the broadcast audio that your preferred dub doesn't already have? Music? Sound effects? The only reason the broadcast audio is coveted is because it's such a higher quality version of specifically the Japanese performances. If all you want is the remastered visuals with your native audio, nobody needs to bother editing the broadcast track.
Especially given what was mentioned above. In general, this whole thing with people everywhere thinking it's OK to endlessly tamper with DB media (in a way that's done for no other anime out there) for some inexplicable reason or the other is real concerning. The ultimate result being just more confusion & division.
Of course, we still have mainly the official licensors and rights holders to blame for this chaotic situation even being a thing to begin with.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:20 am

Uhh...are you saying fan-edits are bad? Because no, I don't agree with that at all. I'm pretty sure the reason this person's question is confusing is because there doesn't seem to be much utility in ripping the vocals from old VHS-recorded audio, not because they don't have a right to do it if they want to.

Frankly, I think it's actually rad when fans mangle the art they like into completely unrecognizable nonsense if they're doing what they love, so long as it doesn't harm access to the original or anything.

I haven't watched the original version of a Star Wars movie in years, because fans cross-bred the despecialized edits with the few good special edition changes to create my ideal versions of the films, or slashed the prequels to high-hell and made them way less boring to watch, et cetera. Community fixes for games are becoming more and more of a necessity as the strain on the industry bubble means more and more games come out half-finished.

Now, official distributors, yeah, they should be trying to make things as accurate as possible, because their job that they're being paid for is to distribute, not make unlicensed creative choices. But fans should be able to do whatever they feel like. This is just a really weird thing to want, by my measure.

Bloodthroe

Post by Bloodthroe » Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:01 pm

Shaddy wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:53 am If you don't want the Japanese voice acting, what exactly do you want from the broadcast audio that your preferred dub doesn't already have? Music? Sound effects? The only reason the broadcast audio is coveted is because it's such a higher quality version of specifically the Japanese performances. If all you want is the remastered visuals with your native audio, nobody needs to bother editing the broadcast track.
I'm going to disagree with that. The music is noticeably much better in the broadcast audio than the Dragon Boxes.

https://youtu.be/bBUFRgH4AWQ?si=8p6eFlNr-B4yvcWj

CodeOfMe

Post by CodeOfMe » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:36 pm

Bloodthroe wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:01 pm
I'm going to disagree with that. The music is noticeably much better in the broadcast audio than the Dragon Boxes.

https://youtu.be/bBUFRgH4AWQ?si=8p6eFlNr-B4yvcWj
Well, yeah, the broadcast audio sounds better than the Dragon Box audio by a large margin, and that includes the music. But I think what Shaddy was trying to say is that any official dub would already have high quality sound effects and music, Toei has a high quality music and effects track that they send to any licensor that licenses Dragon Ball for dubbing, and this music and effects track sounds perfectly fine, not muffled like the Dragon Box audio, so any music or sound effects will sound fine in any offiical dub. Even in some case where, per se, there was an unofficial dub that couldn't get the music and effects track from Toei, the CDs, while not having the whole show's BGM, would still sound better than the broadcast audio's music does, so there's no need to try and split the broadcast audio to get the music from it (not that that's possible to do anyway, at least to my knowledge).
Go over time and space...

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:03 am

Bloodthroe wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:01 pmI'm going to disagree with that. The music is noticeably much better in the broadcast audio than the Dragon Boxes.
...For specifically the Japanese audio, which is what I just said. But you're saying you want to watch the show in a language that's not Japanese. The broadcast audio is important to the Japanese release, so if you're not watching in Japanese, your dub is probably already in better quality.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:31 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:34 pm Forgot to mention, it's a 2 channel VHS mono recording rather than a studio-level multichannel PCM file. That's not going to be easy or probably even possible even for professional audio engineers (especially given that there's nothing to do phase inversion with).
I mean, Peter Jackson literally has an AI that can separate out different sounds in audio. He used it for The Beatles: Get Back documentary he made for speech that wasn't that audible & it did a great job. He let Apple Corps use it to separate & remix The Beatles' Revolver album because they didn't have all the original audio elements separated & I imagine they're gonna use it to remix the rest of their early albums. If other studios get access to that AI, or get something similar, we can expect they will.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:36 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:31 am
GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:34 pm Forgot to mention, it's a 2 channel VHS mono recording rather than a studio-level multichannel PCM file. That's not going to be easy or probably even possible even for professional audio engineers (especially given that there's nothing to do phase inversion with).
I mean, Peter Jackson literally has an AI that can separate out different sounds in audio. He used it for The Beatles: Get Back documentary he made for speech that wasn't that audible & it did a great job. He let Apple Corps use it to separate & remix The Beatles' Revolver album because they didn't have all the original audio elements separated & I imagine they're gonna use it to remix the rest of their early albums. If other studios get access to that AI, or get something similar, we can expect they will.
Can we get back on the topic of this thread?