Would Goku have turned SSJ if Gohan was killed?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Would Goku have turned SSJ if Gohan was killed?

Post by Seekeroftruth » Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:05 pm

When Goku arrives on Namek, he sees Gohan lying on the ground having had his neck broken by recoome.

If Goku had walked in on his dead son's body when he arrived on Namek to face the Ginyu force, do you think this would have been enough to push him to Super Saiyan?

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Re: Would Goku have turned SSJ if Gohan was killed?

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:45 pm

I don't think so, simply because Gohan would be able to come back to life later.
When he gets angry beyond all limits later on with Krilin's death, part of it is clearly stated as being because he believes his death is permanent and that he'll truly never get to see him ever again in his lifetime.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:12 pm

Yeah, Gohan was never resurrected by the Dragon Balls at that point so Goku would have likely felt assured in the prospect of bringing him back. It would no doubt infuriate him to see his son murdered in such a brutal manner but to the point of losing control and turning Super Saiyan? Probably not. The lack of witnessing the actual killing would also probably blunt the emotional outburst.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:24 pm

To add to these additional points, even though Gohan is his son, the bond between him and Goku isn't the same as the bond between Krillin and Goku. Those 2 trained and grew up together in their younger days, and they're each other's best friend.

Krillin was killed by Freeza simply because he wanted to be a dick by killing Goku's best friend in front of him.

Even though Recoome breaking Gohan's neck was brutal, it was just in the heat of battle, not an execution out of spite like what Freeza did to Krillin.

Bloodthroe

Post by Bloodthroe » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:53 am

I think we have to remember that Goku snapped the first time Krillin died. Seeing it happen again likely triggered some past trauma.

Also, Goku probably needed that zenkai boost he gets later before he could become SSJ.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:42 pm

Byyyyeeeee soooooonnnnn~
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:05 pm

I think Goku transformed because of the culmination of that entire battle. Krillin's murder was the climax, but it was the stress of the entire fight, Freeza kept getting stronger, the Spirit Bomb didn't work. Even Piccolo's murder (Goku thought he was dead) contributed to Goku's feelings.

Freeza made his intention clear, he was killing all of Goku's friends in front of him before killing Goku himself. He doesn't actually transform until after Freeza says Gohan is next.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:37 pm

Not necessarily. And I know that the argument could be "He turned for his best friend, he would turn for his son" But I think that perhaps, losing his son could cause a level of mental anguish that drowns out the anger and murderous intent.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:08 am

FoolsGil wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:37 pm Not necessarily. And I know that the argument could be "He turned for his best friend, he would turn for his son" But I think that perhaps, losing his son could cause a level of mental anguish that drowns out the anger and murderous intent.
It's also the fact that it's his best friend dying AGAIN, and done so cruelly out of spite right in front of Goku with the explicit caveat that Freeza was gonna keep doing this to everyone there.

That's a whole lot of bad vibes to Krillin's death overall. He already flew into an unreasonable rage when he happened upon Krillin's dead body the first time. Seeing it happen firsthand when he's powerless to do anything about it AGAIN? Yeah, that's gonna be one real trigger.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:59 pm

nickzambuto wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:05 pm I think Goku transformed because of the culmination of that entire battle. Krillin's murder was the climax, but it was the stress of the entire fight, Freeza kept getting stronger, the Spirit Bomb didn't work. Even Piccolo's murder (Goku thought he was dead) contributed to Goku's feelings.

Freeza made his intention clear, he was killing all of Goku's friends in front of him before killing Goku himself. He doesn't actually transform until after Freeza says Gohan is next.
No, he didnt. His first line after turning Super Saiyan is "Piccolo is alive, take him and Bulma out of here."

And if Dragon Ball Abridged had their way if Goku saw Gohan die instead of Krillin he would be "Wow that's a downer, what's for dinner?"
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:09 pm

Freeza did say he was going to kill Gohan next. I like to think the threat of his son's life on top of seeing his best friend murdered in cold blood added fuel to his Super Saiyan fire