"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:58 am

Oh, now I remember what that Trunks and Goten art reminds me of.

The arms and legs as well as posing strike me as similar.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:11 am

The Monkey King wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:22 pm Image

Modern Toriyama's art continues to be awful for Dragon Ball, the way they're standing just looks... weird :lol:
They're ducks. I'm quacking up looking at this. No shade to GOATiyama-san but this looks hilarious. Is that the point?
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:02 pm

They're twinks now, living that cosplay femboy life. We should respect their wishes to be cute girls femboys.
She/Her
bisexual milf

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:39 am

Herms translation about Clean God section from Volume 21 extras:

Koitsukai wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:29 am If somebody told me those are teen Pan and teen Bra dressing up as superheroes, I'd believe it.
Modern Toriyama is a lost cause when it comes to muscles and his current style doesn't fit how some of these characters are supposed to look. I don't know any other artist that started to draw everyone skinny as he got older. That's why I don't agree with the idea that new character designs for the anime, like from Shintani, should emulate his modern style instead of his prime. He's clearly past it.

Toyotaro already ignored Toriyama's indications before :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:23 pm

Love Toriyama's art, modern or not. Love his Saiyaman X-1 and X-2 designs and corrections. Love his Clean God design. Would be over the moon if he drew an entire arc or even just a chapter himself (even though we all know he won't).

Simple as.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:55 am

I have to agree with many that I would've prefered Toriyama's updated style.
One of the interesting aspects of the franchise is that Toriyama's artstyle is always changing.
And while my most favorite era of his will always be the mid 90s, I am all for consistency.
While all the stories mention Toriyama submitting the 101 Dalmatians artwork and strongheaded push to get to draw manga, they overlook him being a studied designer and working in marketing.
And it shows, as he is exceptional designer! Everything he does has a sense of function on the page, there is nothing obsolete and when he copies the fusion dance for the sake of time, he even admits it in a form of a joke. He can think and coming up with creative ideas that serve purpose at a time, everything is kept simple. Design is more about solving issues and support ideas than aesthetics (Goku having hair white when SSJ allegedly because of too much ink), changing the artstyle to better suit the delivery and reflect the action and situations better on page.
This guy is a one of a kind genius IMHO.

And it creates more problems than it solves, when his new designs get mixed with the contemporary 90s look of the series, that is kept for the sake of popularity or for a continuity reasons with Z. I have to say, that it fails and doesn't work in the end visually.
Broly movie was interesting for kinda doing a remix of all Toriyama's artstyles together, creating a unique and fresh look. That was the first time the Super series felt visually consistent for me (altho it was only inside the confines of one movie).
Doesn't help that Toyotaro is heavily influenced by the mid 90s art and with Toriyama back in the picture, they all contribute to the series, which makes it a mess.
Of course, when you have the more detailed and overcomplicated artstyle mixed with revamped design for Yadrats, that is overly simplistic, fans wouldn't like it. Preferences aside, it doesn't mesh and it's kida like mixing the designs from Star Wars with the sleek looking Star Trek.

I would've loved seeing the show updated as Toriyama would make it look different. Sleeker, consistent.
I have the feeling from his recent contributions, that he is reverting back to his more rounded years of Dr. Slump and DB, while retaining the simplicity and many people feel the characters lost their edge, as they are sleeker, less muscular and literally the art not being sketchy and edgy, like in the Buu arc.

I wouldn't say that Toriyama has lost it, he has just evolved and is constantly evolving while everyone else is living in the past. When I read through the Jaco as it was released years ago, I have noticed that it is different from what I was used to visually, but it was all there, it looked good and it worked.

Of course Toyotaro's redesigns work better, because he basically draws them as he draws the rest of the manga, in the contemporary style the preserves Toriyama in his "best years" as many fans would put it and makes them consistent with the rest of his art.
You can either redesign original Toriyama to work in the past, or updated everything based on Toriyama's original art.
The middle ground doesn't work and makes no sense.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:18 pm

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1598 ... nfirmed%2F

Dragon ball superhero timeline for those who still don't know.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:30 am

Mr Baggins wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:23 pm Love Toriyama's art, modern or not. Love his Saiyaman X-1 and X-2 designs and corrections. Love his Clean God design. Would be over the moon if he drew an entire arc or even just a chapter himself (even though we all know he won't).

Simple as.
I should clarify that I love Toriyama's current art style and am always curious about how Super would look drawn by him. (Although I think anyone who would expect his style to remain exactly the same were he doing so is also fooling themselves--it would undoubtedly naturally shift a bit to accommodate the frequent action scenes, just as the original run did.)

I just don't feel the corrections to Goten and Trunks are a great mesh with the rest of the series, as drawn by Toyotaro, at this point, and feel they might have been better off being left more of a visual piece with the rest. It feels like Toyotaro is somewhat struggling to adapt them, and I think his original rough looks fine. In the past, I've felt all the Toriyama corrections we've seen were improvements.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:01 am

My favourite post-DB Toriyama style is his mid 2000s Neko Majin/Cross Epoch style. Would have loved to see Super drawn that way.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:40 pm

Seriously, did they use that ludicrous plot of Android 17 "raising" Cell Juniors, to them fight with Goten and Trunks? How lame.

The Monkey King wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:47 amThe DBS manga is trash and the sooner DBS ends the better :lol:
Amen to that.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:17 pm

Noah wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:40 pm
The Monkey King wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:47 amThe DBS manga is trash and the sooner DBS ends the better :lol:
Amen to that.
Wouldn't it be easier to wait until it's over to read if you feel that way? There are plenty of series that I waited until they ended to bingewatch or read. Although that's only if I have some interest in them. I can't really think of any series that I thought was horrible and hoped it was ending while still checking new chapter or episode. At least bingereading after it ends means you only have to suffer through it once for a few hours than every month for a few years.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:40 pm

I really dig Modern Toriyama’s more cartoonish art style, but by Kami this is horrendous. They look so flat.

I’m pretty sure Dragon Ball would be dead without Super. Wishing for Super to end is wanting to pull the life support plug.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:30 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:40 pmI’m pretty sure Dragon Ball would be dead without Super. Wishing for Super to end is wanting to pull the life support plug.
Well it wouldn't be dead and just another finished story. To be fair, I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting it to become another zombie franchise that only stops when it loses money. Eventually the DBS manga will be over so I just think it's easier to wait for that than keep reading by chapter if you genuinely don't like any of it.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:27 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:40 pm I’m pretty sure Dragon Ball would be dead without Super. Wishing for Super to end is wanting to pull the life support plug.
The series survived on games for 20 years. Let the series that ended in 1995 end and stay gone this time.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:30 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:40 pm I really dig Modern Toriyama’s more cartoonish art style, but by Kami this is horrendous. They look so flat.

I’m pretty sure Dragon Ball would be dead without Super. Wishing for Super to end is wanting to pull the life support plug.
Er...so what, though? It's not our job to keep a commercial venture going.

Like, I'm all for allowing artists create the work that excites them to create, but I'm also not the one getting paid to shill Dragon Ball nor am I so hard up for other hobbies that I would be dead without new Dragon Ball content. We all survived without any from 1998-2008.

That being said, where's my Caulifla x Kale action yuri spin-off anime, Production Committee? You cowards!
She/Her
bisexual milf

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:03 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:40 pm I really dig Modern Toriyama’s more cartoonish art style, but by Kami this is horrendous. They look so flat.

I like Super, but I’m eagerly awaiting it ending on its own terms. The story can be finished again.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:23 am

Cipher wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:03 pm

I like Super, but I’m eagerly awaiting it ending on its own terms. The story can be finished again.
Don’t bother

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:23 pm

Toxin45 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:23 amDon’t bother
Don't bother doing what? Did you hit send before finishing the comment :?:?

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:04 pm

This is exactly what I want. As far as I'm concerned, DBS is the equivalent of "Zombie Simpsons": a shell of its former self, that refuses to die simply because it makes money.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:04 pm

Skar wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:23 pm
Toxin45 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:23 amDon’t bother
Don't bother doing what? Did you hit send before finishing the comment :?:?
I mean toei is having problems with shuesiha about liscense issues we will likely have a sequel series after super