What would you like to see from Heroes incorporated into the main series?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

What would you like to see from Heroes incorporated into the main series?

Post by Yuji » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:51 am

I think the general fanbase opinion of Heroes is that it has some cool concepts but because it's confined to a videogame, the actual execution is lacking and it's more focused on fanservice than delivering a story. Even the more traditional story-based formats like the promotional anime and manga are basically big setups for continuous fights and forms that show up out of nowhere with (usually) very little pay-off. I binged the DB Heroes manga this weekend and it felt very exhausting to go through because characters like Broly would regularly show up out of nowhere and stall the actual plot - which despite usually just being between Goku, Vegeta and the villain, always has to include 55 other characters as well in it. Also the fact that none of the characters actually stay gone since they're needed in the future for new forms. But there's potential there for a good story despite it being a clusterfuck.

What are your favourite original characters, forms and storylines from Heroes and how would you structure them into a competently written, tightly focused story for the main continuity? Would you keep the time travel/dimensional hopping concept, or streamline the storylines for the current scope of the Dragon World?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: What would you like to see from Heroes incorporated into the main series?

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:00 am

I particularly really enjoy the premise of the Super Dragon Ball Heroes animated series, but feel like it's held by both by Yamamuro Tadayoshi's character designs and directing, a lack of animators, a short runtime, and the restraints of commercial art. In particular, I thought that the Prison Planet arc would have been a great chance to peek down alternate paths for Gokuu (both the CC and the Xeno versions), Future Trunks (like, how was he back with the CC gang?) and also doing something different and unique with a new 'Evil Saiyan' (what is 'evil' in the culture of Saiyans and how does that set him a part from other Saiyans?) With my favorite anime writer, Tomioka Atsuhiro, writing the series I was really hoping for some cool character and battle stuff, but each episode mostly feels like Tomioka is basically being forced to just recite what a
Bandai producer is telling him to, which I think is a shitty way to make a cartoon.

I did enjoy the second arc, however. I felt like there was some tighter directing and sound direction that really helped the story feel exciting, particularly early on when we see Kale and Caulifla battling. I think the dynamic between Zamasu and Heart was really fun, too. In a way it replicated the sense of Boy's Love/yaoi that was found in the dynamic between Zamasu and Gokuu Black in the Future Trunks arc, but here the two have a distinctly more 'hate fucking' type of relationship, which makes for excellent drama. I would have liked to see this stuff expanded upon and referenced in a larger context.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:10 am

Characters like Hearts and Fuu with interesting goals and ideologies.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:18 am

Yuji wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:51 amWhat are your favourite original characters, forms and storylines from Heroes and how would you structure them into a competently written, tightly focused story for the main continuity? Would you keep the time travel/dimensional hopping concept, or streamline the storylines for the current scope of the Dragon World?
I think with the exception of Finn, I like them all. I especially give a shoutout to Putine for being a woman, fighter and has ice-based techniques. None of those three things are common to find in Dragon Ball, unfortunately. Gohanks is my favorite fusion. I like all storylines presented so far, and for them to be better structured is to be given more time to development and whatnot. Actually, "time" is the core problem here. It is necessary to have it for depth. Dragon Ball Heroes has all the right tools and are in the right direction with the franchise, but without proper investment, it kind of fumbles. The movie villains would all return only once, and if they're gone, they'd be gone permanently, with Janemba the only one sticking around, getting a massive overhaul in regards to his personality and the role. And I would keep the "time travel/dimensional hopping" concept.
Yuji wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:51 amI think the general fanbase opinion of Heroes is that it has some cool concepts but because it's confined to a videogame, the actual execution is lacking and it's more focused on fanservice than delivering a story.
While true, we do have our fair share of evidences that even if it wasn't a game, there wouldn't be a guarantee that they would be more focused on delivering a story. It's a matter of luck.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:01 pm

I like that the antagonists seem to largely be demons. I think after hearing about the "Makaioshin", I've wanted to see some demons as the 'next' antagonists in the 'main' story.

I think some of what the Heroes anime did was where I'd have expected Super's to naturally go after the Tournament of Power. The most recent antagonist, Geran, being forced to join forces with the main characters is a very typical Dragon Ball plot beat. Just as well, Goku training with the Grand Priest to get a better handle on Ultra Instinct felt like a pretty expected place for the story to go. I wouldn't have minded if the next movie or manga arc after the Tournament of Power went with these instead of what we got. Sure, Goku trained with Merus to get a better handle on the form in the Super manga, but I'd have preferred him move up rather than down the ladder of teachers.

In terms of characters, I think the glass lady who was swooning over Yamcha would be a fun addition. Also Super Saiyan 3 Raditz, because that's funny.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:44 pm

Xeno fighters. Good way to bring back things like SSJ4 or even movie villains to main series without actually rewriting/rebooting any stuff. I also find different timelines more interesting than different universes that Super barely made any use of anyway. It's pretty much the only way to bring SSJ4 back, as i highly doubt they would reboot it in any way due to its popularity.

Overall Heroes in form of main series and after some changes would be great.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:53 pm

Yamcha's new girlfriend.