"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by supersaiyamangod » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:29 pm

How is it kid vegeta new voice if older would sound better than chris sabat’s adult vegeta. sorry but I can picture it and facts.

Platypus

Post by Platypus » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:13 pm

They released the trailer for the upcoming DLC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JLOD_a7or4

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:53 pm

Looks pretty good, if it's just the matches probably will be short. I'd be happy with a 3 to 4 hour experience including side quests.

Feels like this one is taking forever to release though. What's the hold up.

Kazuya Mishima
Banned

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:47 pm

Any idea what the last content could be?

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:45 pm

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:47 pm Any idea what the last content could be?
I thought EoZ was leaked, no?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:50 am

Yuji wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:45 pm
Kazuya Mishima wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:47 pm Any idea what the last content could be?
No. That's just what people have been speculating it could be.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:46 am

Scsigs wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:50 am
Yuji wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:45 pm
No. That's just what people have been speculating it could be.
In that case I agree EoZ is most likely, or GT. They've been going for a 90s feel and although they've touched Super here and there, they've been avoiding Super-branded material, so I don't think we'll see any Super-original arcs this game. I'd like to see GT get its first decent representation in a story-heavy game, but I'm worried they'd just do the Baby or Shadow Dragons arx exclusively.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:24 pm

https://youtu.be/M_WRV0V4qzA
Trailer for the next DLC for the 23rd World Tournament/Tenkaichi Budokai.

Thoughts:
1. Colleen Clinkenbeard as kid Goku always gets a weird reaction from me because the voice she uses for him & Gohan is literally the exact same as her Luffy one, especially when she uses it for Goku. Her yelling for Goku here sounds exactly like her yells for Luffy & I can't get over that.
2. Sabat as King Piccolo is interesting. The last time he played him to any big capacity was in the English dub of DB & how he tries to differentiate the voice for him from his current Piccolo Jr. is interesting. It's always interesting to me to hear redos of these things from the actors years later with better or more evolved performances & better scripts for me. It only really shows how if Toei did a Kai re-edit of the original DB series, or a new series animated from the ground up, it'd be really interesting hearing a. new dub of the material.
3. I like how they altered Piccolo's character model to be more in-line with how Toriyama drew him in this arc of the manga as opposed to just re-using his already existing model from the game that is more in-line with his later artstyle. I also like them darkening the red & making the whites for the symbols on Goku's gi yellow for this. Nice touch.
4. The combat looks to be very interesting. Reminds me of Attack of the Saiyans' animations for Goku going into the poses he does when he launches an attack. Piccolo going giant is also cool. Wonder if they'd add the attacks & abilities to Goku & Piccolo's arsenals in the main game like Trunks got from the 3rd DLC. That'd be nice.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:22 pm

DLC gets a 5/10 for me this time around. Easily the worst and shortest of the major DLC packs we've gotten. Not as many nice cutscenes, many fights are skipped with cheap, inconsistent narration (you might get a super zoomed in screenshot from the anime, you might get an in game picture) and the boss fights especially against giant Piccolo Jr feel too quick. Post game and expansion of the story are also rather lacking. I have no interest in doing the post game here either, they teased something very small and it's obvious where it's going to pay off, the task to get there seem really boring and repetitive though.

There are highlights as well though, the beginning fight was a nice surprise (even if that was also introduced at an awkward point in the battle), Tien get's some additional back story and when they do the story cutscenes well it looks really good (anonymous vs Goku and the final cutscenes play really nice).

The opening of the WT gave some nice Dragon Ball nostalgia and music is good too. I played with dub, most actors reprise their role and do a good job on delivery, sadly Sabat as both Piccolo's seemed the most inconsistent and lacking of direction.

Curious on others opinion, I live in AUS and woke up around midnight on the couch so I thought why not jump in straight away, feels like I'm the only one to play it thus far.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:55 am

nato25 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:22 pm DLC gets a 5/10 for me this time around. Easily the worst and shortest of the major DLC packs we've gotten. Not as many nice cutscenes, many fights are skipped with cheap, inconsistent narration (you might get a super zoomed in screenshot from the anime, you might get an in game picture) and the boss fights especially against giant Piccolo Jr feel too quick. Post game and expansion of the story are also rather lacking. I have no interest in doing the post game here either, they teased something very small and it's obvious where it's going to pay off, the task to get there seem really boring and repetitive though.

There are highlights as well though, the beginning fight was a nice surprise (even if that was also introduced at an awkward point in the battle), Tien get's some additional back story and when they do the story cutscenes well it looks really good (anonymous vs Goku and the final cutscenes play really nice).

The opening of the WT gave some nice Dragon Ball nostalgia and music is good too. I played with dub, most actors reprise their role and do a good job on delivery, sadly Sabat as both Piccolo's seemed the most inconsistent and lacking of direction.

Curious on others opinion, I live in AUS and woke up around midnight on the couch so I thought why not jump in straight away, feels like I'm the only one to play it thus far.
What, are you serious, 5/10? It's got a lot more than I would have expected. Even Kid Goku vs Demon King Piccolo! Apparently it's got side stories for Ten Shin Han as well?

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:06 am

Might be a bit harsh, but I just saw so much effort put into the History of Trunks and to a bit of a lesser extent, the Bardock DLC, and I don't see the same love here.

Tien has a side story, singular, and it's basically one fight and not anything you wouldn't have known before.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:42 am

So, jumping in after midnight in Europe, finished today. I did enjoy the DLC a lot.
I am forgiving a lot just for the sheer joy I had from DB content in this day and age. The story was visually well made, except for those quick recaps and screens from anime, that do not really look good on 4K TV :/ But that's something I got used to in Kakarot. Nothing that would upset me as much as leaving out major portions out of the Cell arc.
Also was never a huge fan of that Bardock special to begin with.
I will play the after story part, just to complete it and enjoy some of the DB character models. I like that they are going some extra way in the DLCs with more design variety, but it makes the main game story even more blatant with the recycling and single RR robot designs.
Huge props to Goku having black undershirt and belt with blue sweatbands and boots, as this usually varies a lot from the anime in modern adaptations.

Hearing Broly's voice actor Bin Shimada as King Piccolo (and God) was kinda weird, mostly when he screams and it sounds like Broly, even tho the actor is in such an age, he still sounds quite youthful in comparison to the original anime raspy old voice.
Somehow, Bulma sounded a bit off, even tho the new actress usually does the role justice and with all respect to Launch's actress, she sounds super old unfortunately... But I love that they are using the original voice actors as much as they can, respect it and am super greatful that they are still voicing our favorite cast of characters.

Fighting as Kid Goku versus King Piccolo was nice surprise! And kinda tough one before I got used to the ground control fighting.
And this is where I am going to be negative.
As much as I was looking forward to ground battles, the gameplay is kinda lacking and it is a combination of more factors.
You start the game and King Piccolo is quite tough, but I have managed in the end, it pushed me out to be more technical and time the various block options right, even tho you start to feel that the fighting system has left a lot to be desired. I did the Tenshinhan vs Taopaipai side story a few times, before I figured it out and it was challenging for me and I did enjoy that a lot! But that's where it ends.
You get quite a boost from the experience and several levels and after these two fights, it was classic Kakarot fighting the enemies with finger up your nose.
This also makes the tournament fights not working as they should, it's basically the same thing, but on limited space, with some fun visual novelties and shooting kamehameha from legs is super fun. But I have never had even one ringout as Goku's combo puts pressure forward, only to teleport behing the opponent and push him back into the ring, maybe it might work with that uppercut special attack somehow, but didn't had a chance to try it. In comparison, Xenoverse's ground movement might serve as a huge inspiration as it looks and feels right, even tho I am super vocal against the overall gameplay in XV2.

Also, having Chichi and Goku's wedding as an afterthought in small images during credits was kinda sad as it was all rendered in in-game graphics and made me think if I haven't missed something during the story. Having that wedding adventure with burning dress adapted in some form would definetely be a lot better and fun than fighting thugs for the police.

I'd give this DLC 8/10, which is probably a bit more than it deserves, but Dragon Ball!
But I have to agree with others, that Trunks DLC was the top of the game and set the bar high with them also adapting the Buu arc from Super manga/anime and so far, all the other DLCs feel subpar in comparison.
Not to mention that horrid BOG DLC and while ROF was better and I did enjoy it quite a lot, those level caps killed off any option to replay the main story properly and morphing DBZ into One Punch Man.

I hope we will get some teasers for the next DLC soon, just to kill the rumors even if we will have to wait for it probably until the next year...
But my hopes are for Christmas!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:12 am

I have the base game but since I found the fighting in the game so incredibly underwhelming, the DLC is something I enjoy by just watching streams of the Japanese version.

This DLC has some cool bits. The new models look great, as do a lot of the cutscenes. Love how they went the extra mile with costumes etc. They really put a lot of love in this. Conversely, the cutscenes with (very low res) anime stills look incredibly cheap by contrast. The same goes for the backgrounds/areas. The Budokai arena looks great while the outside areas look cheap.

These are complaints I had with the original game as well. Some cutscenes are very polished and others are just mouth flaps while a character barely moves. Overall, it looks okay though.

Most controversial opinion? Masaka Nozawa sounds very tired as Goku. Especially young Goku. The performance lacks the energy we've heard before. Now I know she's not as young as she was before and her performance during Super probably was already a small step down from GT and the video games but this is the first time it's really noticeable to me.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:32 pm

The dub is awful. Much has been said about Clinkenbeard's Goku, but Sabat's Piccolo sounds exactly like Vegeta and Schemmel's higher pitch for teen Goku doesn't work at all.

As for the sub, Nozawa & co always phone it in for the videogames. For Kai as well. Super and the movies (aka new content) are the only times the cast put in effort since they're not just recycling lines.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:38 am

On the music front, while most of the new original additions are quite unimaginative and they could’ve probably stick with the main score, I do enjoy the upbeat re-endition of Makafushigi Adventure with electric guitar and the anime tournament openings were a niche touch and nostalgic.

Even tho I wasn’t huge fan of Bardock DLC, that moody track for Planet Vegeta is probably one of the very few original tracks in game that goes really well with Kikuchi’s originals and captures the mood and feel really well.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:11 pm

I just finished this DLC today and I gotta say, fighting those thugs in post-game is so fun and addictive! :D

I'm glad they level up alongside you for more challenge. Ground Combat is awesome, finally what I wanted from this game.

Sub-Quests were fun, lots of interesting stuff this time around, Pilaf Gang was very enjoyable with their plans.

Oh, and I loved the moment when Goku and Chichi were picking the location of their house, it was brilliant :clap:

Overall it's an 8/10 DLC, if only they didn't skip some of the tournament fights, it would be a solid 10.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:45 pm

Chris sabat was the voice of kami yet didn’t do a evil kami voice for king piccolo shame on him no really that’s inexcusable to me.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:02 pm

I don't know why they are still not calling him Demon King Piccolo? It's 2023, we are not on Cartoon Network anymore.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:53 am

Xeogran wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:11 pm I just finished this DLC today and I gotta say, fighting those thugs in post-game is so fun and addictive! :D

I'm glad they level up alongside you for more challenge. Ground Combat is awesome, finally what I wanted from this game.

Sub-Quests were fun, lots of interesting stuff this time around, Pilaf Gang was very enjoyable with their plans.

Oh, and I loved the moment when Goku and Chichi were picking the location of their house, it was brilliant :clap:

Overall it's an 8/10 DLC, if only they didn't skip some of the tournament fights, it would be a solid 10.
I also laughed out loud at the house gag, especially with the faster cuts and Goku getting more and more over it. Great joke.

Can't agree with the rest of your comments though. The thugs got repetitive extremely quickly to me and as I saw the required number to beat continue rising my interest dipped even more. Levelling up seems painfully slow and so does coming by orbs needed to improve the skills. Which makes no sense to me, I'm grinding to beat the post game in a standalone DLC? There's no worthwhile reward. Props to you if you're having fun with it though.

Some of the scenarios around the side quests were OK (was cool to get that glimpse of gero and seeing pilaf gang was OK, pilafs model looks terrible though), but the quests themselves were God awful.

I do like the ground combat but it is overly simple. I just learned you can jump today lol, never used it the whole time.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:44 am

nato25 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:53 am
Xeogran wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:11 pm I just finished this DLC today and I gotta say, fighting those thugs in post-game is so fun and addictive! :D

I also laughed out loud at the house gag, especially with the faster cuts and Goku getting more and more over it. Great joke.

Can't agree with the rest of your comments though. The thugs got repetitive extremely quickly to me and as I saw the required number to beat continue rising my interest dipped even more. Levelling up seems painfully slow and so does coming by orbs needed to improve the skills. Which makes no sense to me, I'm grinding to beat the post game in a standalone DLC? There's no worthwhile reward. Props to you if you're having fun with it though.

Some of the scenarios around the side quests were OK (was cool to get that glimpse of gero and seeing pilaf gang was OK, pilafs model looks terrible though), but the quests themselves were God awful.

I do like the ground combat but it is overly simple. I just learned you can jump today lol, never used it the whole time.

Question after you finish the DLC 100% does anything from it carry over into the main game? Like the faster Flying Nimbus boost? Or the feet Kamehame-Ha?
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208