DBS Anime Future

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: DBS Anime Future

Post by Grimlock » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:15 am

Toxin45 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:10 pmdude toriyama changes things a lot
He does indeed (not everything is acceptable/to be considered, though). What's your point?
SSJgogeto wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:36 pmYou know, I went to check the theory again just to be sure. There's a version 2.0 with Trunks travelling 20 years to the past, and it's more in line with the official one. The first version is still not ruled out though, and considers the possibility that Trunks lied about his age.
Oh, now there's "another version"... Nah, I'm sorry. You're just making this up as you go, aren't you? I found a massive mistake in your "different interpretation" and so you're resorting to... whatever this is. The fact that you keep not telling us where this "theory", "calcs" come from is something to notice about (that and the fact that you're willing to put random and contradictory "theories" above official information...).
At this point, it's very clear it's best to stick to the official timeline indeed, there's no "different interpretation", let alone one that works in the slightest. Just a quick look at your arbitrary timeline and I have already spotted a lot of problems, including one that contradicts the AGE 788 from the manga again, I'm not gonna make another long ass post, it's a waste of time. Please stop now. Unless you're willing to engage in a conversation with actual facts, using the real timeline, there's nothing else here to discuss.
SSJgogeto wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:36 pmJust because it takes 8 months to charge the time machine doesn't mean Trunks uses it immediately afterwards.
I agree. Once the Time Machine recharged, Trunks went (with the androids) to the amusement park, to buy clothes, to play computer games. Maybe it was in this period when he decided to dye his hair blue! One thing is for sure, Trunks definitely didn't need to go back to the present to help his friends immediately, he took his most earned leisure time. After all he went through, he deserved to have some fun since he most certainly had time for it. Pay no mind to the world and people dying, no, no. Let Trunks have his fun! :D
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:31 am

Grimlock wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:15 am
Toxin45 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:10 pmdude toriyama changes things a lot
He does indeed (not everything is acceptable/to be considered, though). What's your point?
SSJgogeto wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:36 pmYou know, I went to check the theory again just to be sure. There's a version 2.0 with Trunks travelling 20 years to the past, and it's more in line with the official one. The first version is still not ruled out though, and considers the possibility that Trunks lied about his age.
Oh, now there's "another version"... Nah, I'm sorry. You're just making this up as you go, aren't you? I found a massive mistake in your "different interpretation" and so you're resorting to... whatever this is. The fact that you keep not telling us where this "theory", "calcs" come from is something to notice about (that and the fact that you're willing to put random and contradictory "theories" above official information...).
At this point, it's very clear it's best to stick to the official timeline indeed, there's no "different interpretation", let alone one that works in the slightest. Just a quick look at your arbitrary timeline and I have already spotted a lot of problems, including one that contradicts the AGE 788 from the manga again, I'm not gonna make another long ass post, it's a waste of time. Please stop now. Unless you're willing to engage in a conversation with actual facts, using the real timeline, there's nothing else here to discuss.
SSJgogeto wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:36 pmJust because it takes 8 months to charge the time machine doesn't mean Trunks uses it immediately afterwards.
I agree. Once the Time Machine recharged, Trunks went (with the androids) to the amusement park, to buy clothes, to play computer games. Maybe it was in this period when he decided to dye his hair blue! One thing is for sure, Trunks definitely didn't need to go back to the present to help his friends immediately, he took his most earned leisure time. After all he went through, he deserved to have some fun since he most certainly had time for it. Pay no mind to the world and people dying, no, no. Let Trunks have his fun! :D
Your headcannons are kinda whack bro

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:54 am

Grimlock wrote:I agree. Once the Time Machine recharged, Trunks went (with the androids) to the amusement park, to buy clothes, to play computer games. Maybe it was in this period when he decided to dye his hair blue! One thing is for sure, Trunks definitely didn't need to go back to the present to help his friends immediately, he took his most earned leisure time. After all he went through, he deserved to have some fun since he most certainly had time for it. Pay no mind to the world and people dying, no, no. Let Trunks have his fun! :D
Yeah, that makes total sense! Trunks probably was doing the same things while the time machine was recharging, right? The silly me was thinking something absurd like "he was just trying to survive the next three years like he did before the time machine was ready" but this explanation solves everything. :thumbup:
Grimlock wrote:Nah, I'm sorry
Don't be sorry, be better ;)

Seriously, I don't see any reason to stop this debate. In my opinion this forum serves to exchange ideas and discuss things related to the franchise, and that's exactly what I'm doing, but if you want to act like a chess pigeon go ahead, it's your right. Otherwise, you can point out such 'inconsistencies' that you found and we can debate about it. Also, there's no need to write a long text, just cut out the sarcastic/condescending parts and get straight to the point.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:42 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:54 amSeriously, I don't see any reason to stop this debate. In my opinion this forum serves to exchange ideas and discuss things related to the franchise, and that's exactly what I'm doing, but if you want to act like a chess pigeon go ahead, it's your right. Otherwise, you can point out such 'inconsistencies' that you found and we can debate about it. Also, there's no need to write a long text, just cut out the sarcastic/condescending parts and get straight to the point.
Like I said, it is your opinion and you're entitled to it. I don't like discussing opinions, and this whole debate shows why. You ignore official information in favor of a twisted one. Sure, it may be that your personal preference is based on an official statement directly from the manga, but as I proved, that statement is outright wrong. Toriyama did a mistake by having Bulma saying Trunks will travel seventeen years into the past. There is no scenario where Trunks' very first trip being "seventeen years" is right. His first trip is twenty years, period. You change that, you break the entire timeline, one way or another. If you try to circumvent that, you will end up contradicting something, one way or another.
Maybe you didn't know that that Bulma's statement is wrong? I kind of doubt that, this is not the first time I see you talking about the years, which means you take a liking to this subject, which implies you should know that by now. But okay, if that's the case, now you know.
(I said previously that Trunks should have returned to the same year he was born, that was following your timeline. In the official timeline: AGE 784 - 17 = AGE 767. The same year Cell saga takes place. Again proving that his first trip cannot be "seventeen years").

No matter what "version" you come up with, no matter what you do, there will be issues. And that's because we are not dealing with subjectivity here, there is no "speculation" as you said earlier, this is math, this is pure numbers. It is all about objectivity. You change one single digit, you change everything. There is no "different interpretation" that can make the very foundation of this subject to work out in the end. You work with what has been laid out to you and you go from there, you don't create your own.

If we keep doing this, you will just keep coming up with other "versions" of your timeline, I will keep pointing out mistakes in it. I don't like being dragged into a loop. That's why I suggested you to stop it. It is a waste of your time, it is a waste of my time and it is utterly senseless. All because you prefer to ditch what has been established and is known to everyone, to favor your personal idea that simply cannot and does not work. You want me to take you seriously and go straight to the point? Give me reasons to: Why would you prefer to ignore all the sources I posted and go for what you believe is right even when they were proved to be clearly wrong? You answer that, and maybe I can begin to understand why you do what you're doing and thus I can begin to take you more seriously, no sarcasm, no little jokes. Can you give us one very good and legitimate reason as to why Trunks would not travel as soon as the machine is ready? Why would he wait when his world is being destroyed and he knows his friends could use his help in defeating the androids in their timeline? I keep asking for any sources or hints on Dragon Ball Super Super Hero occurring in AGE 783, and no one gives me that. Why?

~ Day of the Machines ~

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:23 am

Okay, let's go by parts:

1 - I showed another version of the timeline where Trunks traveled 20 years to the past instead of 17. I didn't remember about Trunks revealing his age, so when I checked and saw the second version I discarded the first one. From now on, I'll considerate the "17 years" thing a mistake from Toriyama.

2 - The problem here is: we don't have all the numbers. In the manga there's little information about this, so we can speculate. "But we have an official timeline", so what? If Toriyama can make mistakes, why can't the guys who made this timeline do the same?

3 - Don't take this in the wrong way, but no matter what you do you will waste time. The question is how you want to waste time, here in this forum or doing another thing. With that said:

Why I ignored your sources? Because most of them aren't from the manga or from Toriyama himself. When that's not the case, I will analyze them carefully.
Why Trunks would not travel to the past after 8 months? First possibility: Because traveling to other points in time that aren't exactly 8 months after his first arrival could create a new timeline. Second possibility: the time machine takes three years to charge, not 8 months.
Why no one presented evidence that Super Hero happened in AGE 783? It's 782 now by the way, and the only evidence is this, but as I said before this isn't something definitive.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:28 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:23 am2 - "But we have an official timeline", so what? If Toriyama can make mistakes, why can't the guys who made this timeline do the same?
They can. And just out curiosity, can you point out the mistakes they did?
SSJgogeto wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:23 amWhy I ignored your sources? Because most of them aren't from the manga or from Toriyama himself.
So you still need to be spoonfed (by someone in specific)? By starting with AGE 788 and considering all timeskips mentioned, you can discover the year of all events by yourself. But if you specifically need Toriyama to spell it out for you, even though someone already did that...
SSJgogeto wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:23 amWhy Trunks would not travel to the past after 8 months? First possibility: Because traveling to other points in time that aren't exactly 8 months after his first arrival could create a new timeline.
Why are you turning my question back to me?
SSJgogeto wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:23 amSecond possibility: the time machine takes three years to charge, not 8 months.
That timeskip is because Trunks knew Cell would appear three years after he defeated the androids. It doesn't change anything before or after that.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Zekken

Post by Zekken » Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:38 am

Seen some things on twitter and the like so my question is would you guys like if Goku turned into a kid again ala GT in the new supposed potential web anime?
Personally not a fan of it
Better to have tried and failed
rather than have done nothing at all

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:39 am

Zekken wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:38 am Seen some things on twitter and the like so my question is would you guys like if Goku turned into a kid again ala GT in the new supposed potential web anime?
That would be very weird. I liked Goku as a kid in GT since he was still written as a seasoned warrior and it was a way to nerf his powers for a a while, which was sorely needed. I don't have any confidence in the current writers to write Goku as a competent adult.
They'll probably turn him into a kid for nostalgia points then suddenly give him a new hair colour and voila...new "form".

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:27 pm

Zekken wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:38 am Seen some things on twitter and the like so my question is would you guys like if Goku turned into a kid again ala GT in the new supposed potential web anime?
No.

Zekken

Post by Zekken » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:29 am

Yeah I thought so, even if its written by Toriyama it would just hit me in the wrong way. I really dont see the major appeal or reason for it, Adult Goku can act childish too if Toriyama wants to write him like that.

But de-aging him would sort of betray the image the fans have of Goku y`know. Being this innocent but dependable and sort of admirable MAN
Better to have tried and failed
rather than have done nothing at all

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:29 am

I believe that Broly would be a better option to be the protagonist if these rumors are true. He, Cheelai and Lemo having space adventures sounds really interesting.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:09 am

SSJgogeto wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:29 am I believe that Broly would be a better option to be the protagonist if these rumors are true. He, Cheelai and Lemo having space adventures sounds really interesting.
You mean introducing Kid Broly? That actually

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:10 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:29 amYou probably know this version of the timeline better than me, so you can check this one: they essentially said that Goten was 6 years old when he entered the tournament, which isn't true.
No, they didn't. It's people who say that. Either by assuming Chi-Chi got pregnant during the week preceding the Cell Games, and/or by placing the 25th tournament specifically in May. However, Chi-Chi could very well got pregnant at any point between late AGE 766 and March, AGE 767. As for the tournament, it doesn't necessarily have to be in May. And if you want to keep that, there's always "rounding up" and rounding down", as well as "it takes place before or after X's birthday" to solve any issues, just like we must do with a bunch of other occasions.

~ Day of the Machines ~

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:29 pm

You mean this?

Probably another bullshit from 4chan. i've been hearing this web anime will be Toriyama version of GT. :lol:

I wouldn't mind if Goku became a kid for just one arc, but another entire series with kid Goku seems to much.
However in that arc if Goku became a kid it would be fun if Vegeta became one too, to give us a new dynamic and not just copy paste from GT. And of course this time both would travel together.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:29 am

I would like it. If true, then they wouldn't miss the opportunity to show Kid Goku in all the godly forms, even up to UI :thumbup:
Which means more merch, game characters and such, so it doesn't even sound that implausible.

Depending when it's set, we could also get Kid Goku & Kid Pan's shared adventures which would be cute
(and it would be funny how Goku somehow always ends up a kid when Pan's involved :lol:)

I even made an edit pic about it sometime, though I think Kid Goku would be wearing his orange gi if said web anime is somehow still before EoZ (but I would prefer if it was finally after it)

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:19 am

Grimlock wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:10 pmNo, they didn't. It's people who say that.
Yeah, people like these. They seem sure about their arguments, and have sources to back it up. Also, I don't think it's possible to round up or down in this case, the line about Goten's age is very specific.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:01 pm

I saw no one even talking about Goten in that thread, so who are you referring to? What are the arguments and sources?

And if you're talking about this:
June~December, Age 767
--Son Goku and Chi-Chi’s second son, Son Goten is born. Though a Saiyan/Earthling hybrid, he has no tail.
[Ref: Year from Daizenshuu 7 and SEG: Character Volume. I’m assuming he’s born after the Cell Games. In Chapter 433 Goten is said to be 7 years old during the 25th TB (in Age 774), which is itself described as 7 years after the Cell Games. The narrator says in Chapter 424 that Goten was left behind “before the battle with Cell”. Many people assume this refers to the 9 days leading up to the Cell Games, though for him to be born in 767 he would have to have been conceived by no later than March, while the Cell Games are said to be in May. I suppose that, as a half-alien hybrid, Goten’s gestation time could have been shorter than 9 months, but I prefer to think “before the battle with Cell” means before the day the androids and Cell appear, which gives a little more leeway. Daizenshuu 4 says Trunks and Goten were born without tails.]
Then you just posted an evidence for what I said. Goten could have been born at any point after May, AGE 767. The thing is where you place the tournament. if you say Goten was born in September and the 25th tournament occurred in May, then sure, Goten would, by technicality, be six years old. So yes, the tournament announcer rounded up his age by saying he is seven, when in reality, he would turn seven four months after the tournament in this scenario. However, in the grand scheme of things, this is irrelevant.

The only thing that is very specific is the year Goten was born, AGE 767. And if you add "seven" to that, you get AGE 774, the year Majin Buu saga takes place. Everything is as it should be. And you are trying to find mistake where there's none. Which I guess is my fault, I asked you to... Talk about regret.
But you know what? Never mind that I asked you to do that, you will not be able to find mistakes. So let us spare both of our times. For now, I'm quite satisfied that you acknowledged that the first trip of Trunks cannot be "seventeen" and that it is a Toriyama's mistake, as well as the fact that Dragon Ball Super Super Hero takes place in AGE 782. You have made two steps into the right direction, and that is something. So let's leave it at that, shall we? It was a good conversation, though. You made me remember some details I had forgotten. Just try not to put your own preferences above official stuff from now on, alright? Hope to chat more with you soon!

~ Day of the Machines ~

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:37 am

That's good advice, thank you. Here's mine: don't blindly believe in something just because it's official.
Grimlock wrote:However, in the grand scheme of things, this is irrelevant.
I beg to differ. It's relevant because if there's a mistake, possibly there are others, so there's no guarantee that the timeline is correct unless you check minutiously. Also, there's no technicality here, because:
May 7th, Age 774
The 25th Tenkaichi Budokai
So yeah, it's a mistake, so don't feel guilty for asking. If you want a reason for regret, stubbornness is a better option. I mean, I'm willing to change my beliefs if there's a solid evidence or a convincing argument, but not everyone is like that, right?

By the way, I think there's a 3.0 version of the timeline I talked about, and in there the events of Super Hero happened in 781, a year before EoZ (782). I will check this later, wish me luck.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:24 am

Xeogran wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:50 am
super michael wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:56 am Toei are not capable of coming up with anything good when it comes to writing.
I completely disagree. Toei pulled off all the important/major DBS moments relatively well. Compare UI Goku's anime debut against Jiren to his manga one. They had the same outline from Toriyama, and look how they absolutely nailed it, three times no less (UI Omen vs Jiren, VS Kefla and MUI). Or heck, the entire Hit fight which was such a non-event in the manga.

When it comes to Super, following the manga to a T would be a noticeable downgrade.
I'm not gonna pretend that I liked the overall production of the anime, but the "big" moments, the ones we keep talking about were generally done better in animation than the manga. My best example would be the elimination of Jiren from the Tournament of Power. In the anime we had the beautifully animated sequence of Goku struggling to stay Super Saiyan with Freeza barely holding out to push Jiren off the stage. (This was probably one of the few moments where I felt the tension while watching it.) While in the manga it was a cheap callback to Goku and Raditz with a wrestling hold that took like 3 panels to do.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.