Would you feel confident in the series if it were left in Toyotarou's hands?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: Would you feel confident in the series if it were left in Toyotarou's hands?

Post by LightBing » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:37 am

Jord wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:27 pm
LightBing wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:37 am No.

The main reason isn't is abilities is how little say, I assume, he has in the final product. Toriyama can say to his editors: I won't do X and it will stick. Toyotarõ probably just does what he's told.

If we remove the factor above my answer is likely still for many of the gripes already mentioned on this thread.

At the end of the day it's already difficult to know how much is his contribution or anyone's else(besides art), to make a proper judgement.
That's the main problem. It's like when something's good, it's due to Toriyama and when it's bad, it's Toyotaro. I would really like to seen an in dept overview of who thought of what.
The only thing we can judge Toyotaro on, is Dragon Ball Heroes: Victory Mission, and that one was received pretty positively.
Sometimes we get tidbits, like how Toriyama meticulously re-wrote a gag in the manga or which Hakaishin were designed by whom.
Still not enough to pain the picture; the biggest disruptor, the invisible suits input, is never fully clear.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Would you feel confident in the series if it were left in Toyotarou's hands?

Post by Peach » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:40 pm

As an artist, sure. As a writer, no way.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:06 am

Absolutely not. Through the manga serialization for several years his art has somewhat improved, but he still hasn't met most of the basic criteria of a professional manga artist. His paneling especially is still quite bad. Also, he seems to fail to understand what truly makes Toriyama's creations special, and keeps recreating a little bit sophisticated version of fifth graders' dream battle manga, which would be amusing to a certain extent as a fan creation, but obviously not as something official that's supposed to be supervised by multiple adults.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:01 am

I'm not really interested in Toyotaro Dragon Ball. No shade to the guy. He's done some great things on DBS, but looking at his original Dragon Ball doujin and his contributions to the plot of DBS - I don't find what he writes to be compelling.

Maybe my thoughts will change in a few years. He has improved quite a bit IMO and its often difficult to tell where Toriyama's ideas stop and Toyotaro's ideas start
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

ZLADMAN

Post by ZLADMAN » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:16 pm

I'm not a fan of the Dragon Ball Super manga's writing, so I would not. As stated already in this thread, Toei isn't that much better, but I still believe that the Super anime turned out better than the manga did.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:32 pm

Hell no. While his artwork has gained a level of consistency, his storytelling still leaves a lot to be desired. But I think he would benefit greatly from having a more active and involved editor to bounce ideas off of or re-work ongoing narrative concepts. I mean, Toyotarou's last original arc was a fucking stinker that I couldn't help but feel would have been better than the sum of its parts if he had an editor to properly support him.