Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Clemsi

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Clemsi » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:01 am

I tried to make my own recut of Dragon Ball with Freemake Video Converter, which is very easy to use, but you can't add subtitles with the right font with it and it gave me black bars at the bottom or at the sides of the video.

Apparently, you need to use Adobe Premiere or Vegas Pro to make recuts, but these video editors are complicated to use from what I have seen.

Let's hope Milkman will return one day. :angel:

Escavalien

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Escavalien » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:30 am

Shaddy wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:49 am In fairness, making audio tracks for existing video is hard. I really want there to be an uncut EN dub of Sonic X, but extracting vocals from 2 (or more) versions of a show with no 5.1 audio, timing each line correctly and having good quality on top of 4kids fucking with the script and tons of lines and scenes being straight-up gone in English makes it kind of a nightmare to think about, even if you've got the best soundalikes or stolen AI lines on the market.

Uh, don't be a dickhead though. Not sure where that step got added to this guy's process.
His reaction was completely over the top and not at all okay, but I don't think the other person calling him dipshit was the way to go either. Cringe interaction in every perspective to have in this thread.

Also, I've seen a single Sonic X uncut dub edt before, I believe they had other voice actors to dub things that 4kids changed or outright cut. It's overall frustrating just how different dubs used to be back in the day to the point where if you like the old dubs but aren't a casual fan edits are the only thing you can hope to scratch the itch for you whether to cut out filler or pacing issues that were more common at the time or removing dub soundtracks or censorship.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:04 pm

Escavalien wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:30 amI've seen a single Sonic X uncut dub edt before, I believe they had other voice actors to dub things that 4kids changed or outright cut. It's overall frustrating just how different dubs used to be back in the day to the point where if you like the old dubs but aren't a casual fan edits are the only thing you can hope to scratch the itch for you whether to cut out filler or pacing issues that were more common at the time or removing dub soundtracks or censorship.
Lawson's cut, I'm aware of it. Problem is, they still cut stuff out of that version, so it's not a true dual-audio track, it just has the Japanese music and audio and some scenes changed. They also used automated music/voice removal software for the audio, and it completely tanks the vocal quality with a ton of warbling in the backing JP audio. Even then, neither the acting nor the audio quality for the fan actors is exactly what I'd call professional.

Best to my understanding, you basically need to heavily edit the audio of all 78 episodes, twice. You would need to combine the 4kids audio with another dub based on the 4kids edit (synced exactly), then phase-cancel that against the dub to isolate the English vocals. Then you would need to do the same thing with two dubs derived from the JP original, and phase cancel it against the backing audio to have a clean no-vocals version of the show (if you could guarantee you had two versions of the show that would sync perfectly, you might be able to write a script to do this?). And THEN you would have to manually replace and re-time every single dub line for its JP placement, since they literally just cut certain shots and even entire scenes, and you would STILL come out of it with a show where tons of dialogue is missing, tons of cuts have characters mouths not match their lines (since yes, 4kids really did retime the lip flaps), and some lines are just straight-up wrong, either in their translation being inaccurate or just straight-up axing the originals. It would be a ton of work for what would ultimately be an edit that might have dubious audio quality on its own, and supremely distracting cases of switching to fandubbers whenever a line didn't fit. I thought some of that AI voice-cloning tech might help with this, but that's become pretty stigmatized even in non-profit fanworks.

...So I can see why the "uncut" English edit struggled to maintain a professional quality level. It's a shame, but the fact that anyone even tried is more than a lot of the shows butchered by 4kids can say.

an0n07

Post by an0n07 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:33 am

I know I'm a little late for this, but I've recently started Dragon Ball for the first time and just finished the first Tenkaichi Budokai arc (episode 28), I found out that this recut existed and heard that it's got much better pacing and all the good stuff. So I'd love to watch it. But unfortunately I don't have the storage or bandwidth to get 400-900MB episodes.

So my question is, is there a way to get the mp4 files (around 150MB each) with external subtitles, or something like that...?

I don't really care for the dub, and I understand that the mkv files are dual audio with sub and dub, and that's part of the reason they're much larger. BTW I love the work y'all have done to create this, especially you @IAmTheMilkMan . Thank you for bringing us new fans into this world.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:10 pm

an0n07 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:33 am I know I'm a little late for this, but I've recently started Dragon Ball for the first time and just finished the first Tenkaichi Budokai arc (episode 28), I found out that this recut existed and heard that it's got much better pacing and all the good stuff. So I'd love to watch it. But unfortunately I don't have the storage or bandwidth to get 400-900MB episodes.

So my question is, is there a way to get the mp4 files (around 150MB each) with external subtitles, or something like that...?

I don't really care for the dub, and I understand that the mkv files are dual audio with sub and dub, and that's part of the reason they're much larger. BTW I love the work y'all have done to create this, especially you @IAmTheMilkMan . Thank you for bringing us new fans into this world.
The English audio only adds ~50MB per episode, so if you can't afford the storage/bandwidth with the English dub then you're not gonna fair much better without it. Maybe just download a handful of episodes at a time and delete them when you download more?

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:35 pm

The whole recut is about 80 gigs. You can get a pack of 2 64-gig flash drives (128g total) on amazon for about eight dollars. External hard drives of more than twice that are still less than twenty bucks. Not saying you need to buy anything or assuming anything about your finances, but it's one option open to you if you have the money. And like mista said, that's if you want to hold the whole show at once, if you just download episode-by-episode and delete em when you run low on space, there shouldn't be too much problem.

SavageDragon

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Post by SavageDragon » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:05 am

Kudos on finishing DB Kai, just saw the update to the post! DB Recut rules, and I'm looking forward to watching your version of Kai, especially Buu! Thanks for all the awesome work on this rad project.

A question for anyone who knows, what censorship was included in the original Kai, and removed here? Did a quick search on here and in general, saw someone say mainly the first 3 episodes were censored originally on Blu-ray etc apparently.

Also, how did the soundtrack work out towards the end of the Android saga, was Yamamoto used as much as possible?

And thanks again! So cool. 👍

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:06 am

THANK YOU SO MUCH KING

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:34 am

MistaL wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:06 am THANK YOU SO MUCH KING
Buu saga recut is done? Is that what the update is implying?

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:47 am

DHM211 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:34 am
Yes!

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:50 am

MistaL wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:47 am
DHM211 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:34 am
Yes!
Wow, that’s really exciting! I was probably one of the few on here who actually enjoyed Kai TFC for what it was, but really interested in seeing a genuine manga-accurate cut of the Buu saga.

SavageDragon

Post by SavageDragon » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:35 pm

Anybody know what the more notable artistic decisions are on this Buu recut? I always enjoy that changelog sort of thing, or highlights about the more notable problem solving in editing etc. I trust the judgment here though, since Recut was so excellently done. This is actually the only fan edit like this I've been into so much, really cool stuff.

And did they mention if they did anything with the overly green tint Buu Kai was known to have?

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:13 pm

SavageDragon wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:35 pm Anybody know what the more notable artistic decisions are on this Buu recut? I always enjoy that changelog sort of thing, or highlights about the more notable problem solving in editing etc. I trust the judgment here though, since Recut was so excellently done. This is actually the only fan edit like this I've been into so much, really cool stuff.

And did they mention if they did anything with the overly green tint Buu Kai was known to have?
Green tint is non existent in this release as it uses Dragon Box footage. I haven’t actually watched any of it yet so I'm curious if this release color corrected the Dragon Box footage at all.

SavageDragon

Post by SavageDragon » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:18 pm

DHM211 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:13 pm
Green tint is non existent in this release as it uses Dragon Box footage. I haven’t actually watched any of it yet so I'm curious if this release color corrected the Dragon Box footage at all.
Wow, that's awesome! Thanks. Oh yeah, and it's great that this is 4:3 too without the cropping that Buu Kai had. I forgot about that, what a huge bonus.

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:57 pm

Loved the Vegito edit.

Lance99

Post by Lance99 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:16 am

SavageDragon wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:35 pm Anybody know what the more notable artistic decisions are on this Buu recut? I always enjoy that changelog sort of thing, or highlights about the more notable problem solving in editing etc. I trust the judgment here though, since Recut was so excellently done. This is actually the only fan edit like this I've been into so much, really cool stuff.
I just checked out episode 1 [83] myself (thanks so much for all the hard work on this, Milkman--have been waiting with bated breath for Buu after going through your well-edited Saiyan-Cell stuff!), and here's what I picked up on with a quick comparison to TFC 99/100 (Milkman might write up a list of more changes eventually too):
  • The TFC splash screen at the start (using the JP version without "The Final Chapters" on it), the OP/EN, title cards, eyecatches, and Goku in the preview before clips from the following episode are 16:9; the episodes proper and the preview clips are 4:3.
  • Sumitomo's used for the OST (which I guess I'm okay with, though I wonder if the more iffy placements have been updated--might've kinda been hoping for a Yamamoto/Sumitomo mix lol)
  • About 4m30s is cut from the fluff recap, picking up as Gohan's charging/firing his last Kamehameha vs Cell, then cuts the 20-ish seconds of bits with Gohan exhausted and everyone seeing Trunks off/Gohan looking up at Goku to pick up from the post-OP "seven years have passed" transition into Satan City; we get the OP as Gohan finishes "telling" Goku how big Mr. Satan's gotten.
  • Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go gets kept for the OP (sweet), and Milkman used a mix of it, Fight It Out!, and the Dragon Soul OPs to get around the spoilers--similarly, Dear Zarathustra is kept for the ED (also sweet) and mixes it and Never Give Up footage-wise. Both look great (I like the cut from the FIO shots of Goku powering up to the ending group shot in KZZG, synced to the music), curious to see how the "spoilers" are gradually added.
  • We get the eyecatch at the end of the Kai 99 portion (~16 mins in) as 100 starts after with Gohan seeing Bulma about his outfit; episode ends after the narration about "The Great Saiyaman" spreading like wildfire in Satan City, and the preview's updated with a few different clips to account for Gohan seeing Bulma in this ep.
I was just about to start rewatching Kai Recut in Japanese after recently going through Dragon Ball Recut (also really well done! [also imagine my surprise to see that the Goku and Chi-Chi getting married stuff was filler]), so this was perfect timing, haha.

CodeOfMe

Post by CodeOfMe » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:23 am

Never thought I'd see the day where someone would manage to cut the dinosaur filler from the Saiyaman reveal. Thanks a lot, Milkman, this will be my new go-to way of watching the Boo Saga.
Go over time and space...

SavageDragon

Post by SavageDragon » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:03 am

Lance99 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:16 am I just checked out episode 1 [83] myself (thanks so much for all the hard work on this, Milkman--have been waiting with bated breath for Buu after going through your well-edited Saiyan-Cell stuff!), and here's what I picked up on with a quick comparison to TFC 99/100 (Milkman might write up a list of more changes eventually too):
Very cool, thanks! This sounds excellent.

Clemsi

Post by Clemsi » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:32 pm

That's great for Kai fans !
Does that mean Milkman will actively work on Dragon Ball Recut V3 and Dragon Ball Z Recut now ?

Edit : Sorry, you already answered this question in the original post of the topic.
Dragon Ball Z Recut

(Added on 9-7-2016)

I'm also beginning work on a recut of Dragon Ball Z while I wait for Boo Kai to show up in North America. Why recut both Z and Kai, you ask? Because I'm a damn fool, that's why! Honestly, though, I started Kai first, and then about halfway through realized that I also want to recut the original Z for the OG Japanese dub and Kikuchi music. So now I'm doing both. Yay.

UPDATE (9/20/2023): No promises at this time. I'm so tired.

I welcome any feedback and questions from all of you hardcore Dragon Ball fans. I may also post here occasionally asking for your help and opinions on things.
Take some vacations or just enjoy a few days off if you can.
Take the time to relax and spend quality time with friends and family. :)

Thank you for your amazing work, Milkman.

Escavalien

Post by Escavalien » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:00 am

Just finished Buu recut last night. Was pretty fantastic. There were a handful of moments were cuts were noticeable, as opposed to how seamless the previous sagas were, but I think a big part of that is the Buu saga's source footage's fault. There's so many things that get unbelievably extended in ways that previous sagas didn't do, like Piccolo when checking Vegeta's remains in the manga flies directly into the crater. In the anime he flies over, floats down, then walks around. Changing the composition like this makes it hard to edit the anime to flow like the manga without noticeable cuts, and it's the most noticeable in fights because of battle damage changing. (The piccolo thing was an example, Milkman's edit handled it perfectly fine. Mid-battle stuff such as Vegeta watching from the sidelines against Kid Buu in the manga's first half of the fight whereas in the anime he's battle damaged at that point is a clearer example of what I'm talking about here with it being hard to make the editing consistent in this saga compared to the previous ones.) Overall easily going to be my go to way of rewatching the Buu saga or even recommending DBZ to casuals in general.

Edit: just wanted to clarify when I say handful I mean handful, they're just two or three. I still absolutely loved the experience and am grateful Milkman finished it.