Dragon Ball Magic? *RUMOR*

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Magic? *RUMOR*

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:32 pm

Saw this on Geekdom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-4CEhsNcLc

and another forum
https://www.resetera.com/threads/allege ... er.767588/

First post from the forum:
Posted originally by DBS_Chronicles and backed up by DBHype - can't speak for the first person's credibility but DBHype is normally good for it, and they're giving the thumbs up to DBS_Chronicles.

Take with a truckload of salt, but there's no reason not to entertain it as long as it isn't coming from, say, Geekdom101.

- Leaked by DBS_Chronicles last year as a web anime, TV anime will return after Magic finishes
- 14 or 15 episode web anime
- 30 to 40 minutes per episode
- first half of 2024 target release
- coming exclusively to Crunchyroll
- Supreme Kai and Goku are turned back to children by a Demon
- they go around the universe hunting him down to get their bodies back
- Most characters are new
- Takes place before End of Z
- Aya Komaki directing
- Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru is character designer
- Shintani, Kubota, Takahashi are some of the animators participating in the project
- "90s" art style with modern techniques, some CG involved
- Official announcement on October 12th, 2023 @ 12:45PM EST for NYCC

Sounds like Toei repurposing some GT concepts with a bit of money behind it. Interesting, I guess...

Can't say I'm stoked about another "Goku is a kid again" storyline, but the animators and character designers should at least make it pretty to watch.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Magic? *RUMOR*

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:43 pm

If Komaki Aya is the series director of this supposed series that would make them the first female series director for a Dragon Ball series. That would be neat.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:46 pm

Sounds like bullshit to me, but we'll see

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:03 pm

OMG MAJEEK LOL.

Well, that's one thing they havent tried.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:10 pm

Idk but any leak that is tied to geekdom I tend to automatically not trust. Still waiting for that full DBZ remaster he promised back in 2018/19 when Toei did the two TV specials to hype up DBS Broly.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:38 pm

seems like more of a side story i heard we can get ssj4 or some homage to it but i am not guess we get new charactesr based on gt with some old returning ones.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:53 pm

A lot of credible people in the community are backing this "Shin/kid Goku magical grand tour adventure" web anime plot, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. Sounds interesting enough. I guess we'll see on October 12th.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:06 pm

I would love it if it was true. It's about time we saw a new show. Hopefully with the upgraded standards One Piece is getting.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:11 pm

I'm not exactly thrilled about going back to kid Goku again, but I have to say "aloof child and his companion, literally God, having gag adventures throughout the cosmos" sounds exactly like something Toriyama would write outside of super serious post-RRA DB. He has expressed jealousy over the GT staff's idea of turning Goku into a kid. I wouldn't doubt if he had more involvement in this than any other revival project.

danyq94

Post by danyq94 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:22 pm

I literally LOVE how this is all an allegory to Journey to the West.
Goku (Wukong) travels with Shin (Sanzang/Tripitaka) to achieve Enlightenment (return to their original form) fighting demons on the way.

If this is the idea of paying tribute to the 40th anniversary of the series, offering a story that is based on the novel from which Toriyama was inspired for the manga, then I am totally in.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:26 pm

Just reproducing the verbatim text from Geekdom's summary document referred to during his stream, for anyone's interest:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:30 pm

danyq94 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:22 pm I literally LOVE how this is all an allegory to Journey to the West.
Goku (Wukong) travels with Shin (Sanzang/Tripitaka) to achieve Enlightenment (return to their original form) fighting demons on the way.

If this is the idea of paying tribute to the 40th anniversary of the series, offering a story that is based on the novel from which Toriyama was inspired for the manga, then I am totally in.
This is actually an interesting way to look at it, although that kind of makes me regret that this wasn't being done as a full-on re-imagining. Alas, I think that if this supposed series is truly a storyline based on Journey to the West it would be very fun to watch.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:34 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:26 pm Just reproducing the verbatim text from Geekdom's summary document referred to during his stream, for anyone's interest:
Ajay and some others on Twitter are saying Geekdom's leaks are half-truths and contain some misinformation, so let's not take everything here as truth.

I think the kid Goku/Shin plot at this point should be guaranteed, however. I'm guessing they were concerned over misinformation regarding production details.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:36 pm

Yuji wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:34 pmAjay and some others on Twitter are saying Geekdom's leaks are half-truths and contain some misinformation, so let's not take everything here as truth.
Sure, that often goes with rumours; just thought it was worthwhile putting it up for the sake of notation and reference as this unfolds, whether it ends up being accurate or not.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:41 pm

Some of what Geekdom said could be incorrect but I think we have to go with where there's smoke there's fire here. He always brings up how burnt he got on announcing the return of the super anime before anything official happened and it seem's clear he learnt his lesson from that. October will reveal the truth so not long to wait.

The concept seems promising enough for now.

CodeOfMe

Post by CodeOfMe » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:45 pm

It's certainly an interesting concept for a show, especially with the GT aspects of turning Goku back into a kid, but it's kind of hard to buy into any rumor of a new Dragon Ball series after the numerous times the predictions turned out to be wrong. Also, Dragon Ball Magic doesn't sound like a title Toei would use for something Dragon Ball related, at least to me, but who knows. I'd keep a healthy skepticism towards this rumor for the time being, if it turns out to be true, that's great, but if it turns out to be false, then I won't be particularly surprised.
Go over time and space...

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:06 pm

Probably the most plausible leak I've seen in some time, glad they actually gave some concrete detail this time - though I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket, considering Geekdom and all the usual suspects' lacklustre track record. If true, it would be refreshing to see them move away from the Super branding, at least in animation. Obviously, a return to the concept of Goku being de-aged immediately brings GT to mind, but I'm glad that they keep emphasising that it isn't anything like either GT or Super, it's something completely new. Shin of all people being the one to partner up with Goku is an unexpected choice but it could be a fun dynamic. A limited series with a more grand, mythical adventure feel like the original source material sounds very promising.

Also interesting that they note Toyotaro's Super manga will simultaneously continue undisturbed (though honestly, I can't see more than one or two more Super arcs in the tank). I always had an inkling that if there was going to be another animated series, it wouldn't directly adapt the manga-exclusive arcs and diverge in a completely different direction.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:12 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:06 pm Probably the most plausible leak I've seen in some time, glad they actually gave some concrete detail this time - though I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket, considering Geekdom and all the usual suspects' lacklustre track record. If true, it would be refreshing to see them move away from the Super branding, at least in animation. Obviously, a return to the concept of Goku being de-aged immediately brings GT to mind, but I'm glad that they keep emphasising that it isn't anything like either GT or Super, it's something completely new. Shin of all people being the one to partner up with Goku is an unexpected choice but it could be a fun dynamic. A limited series with a more grand, mythical adventure feel like the original source material sounds very promising.

Also interesting that they note Toyotaro's Super manga will simultaneously continue undisturbed (though honestly, I can't see more than one or two more Super arcs in the tank). I always had an inkling that if there was going to be another animated series, it wouldn't directly adapt the manga-exclusive arcs and diverge in a completely different direction.
I feel super manga will have five more arcs after superhero magic seems like more of a side story to super

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:19 pm

I wonder if we get ssj4 in canon and maybe even that new frieza from from the gt stage play

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:28 pm

So the Supreme Kai will be heavily nerfed for plot purposes... with Kai Kai, he can literally teleport anywhere he wants with just a thought. Kai Kai, teleportation technique exclusive to the Supreme Kais, is superior to even the Angels' travel technique, so much so that Supreme Kai could get to Zeno's palace faster than Whis.

There's no room for an "adventure" if they can keep all their powers/techniques (because Supreme Kai can instantly teleport to any place he wants, whenever he wants), so I expect Supreme Kai to be heavily nerfed and not have Kai Kai at his disposal.

Still, I'm impressed and happy that they are placing Supreme Kai in the spotlight, here's hoping that this rumour turns out to be true.

People online always focus on the Destroyers and Angels and constantly underrate the Supreme Kais, this is unfair. The Moro arc already showed us that the Supreme Kais are not to be underestimated (Grand Supreme Kai sealed away Moro's magic, an extraordinary feat), and if this rumour is true, then Supreme Kai will be deemed worthy by the executives/writers to carry his own series.