Toriyama and Toyotaro are bad at writing female characters/female Warriors

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Toriyama and Toyotaro are bad at writing female characters/female Warriors

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:31 pm

I wish that the Dragon Ball Super comic would dive into how Artificial Human #18 feels about having to face down Cell Max, considering how Cell had nearly killed her sixteen years ago. That seems like a thread ripe for tugging on for character stuff.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Toriyama and Toyotaro are bad at writing female characters/female Warriors

Post by HeroR » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:17 pm

Vegetto95 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:18 pm
HeroR wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:49 am
Vegetto95 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:38 pm And yeah, I totally agree about Gohan. NEVER made sense to me that FUNi always called Cell Game Gohan a "teen", going back at the very least to the first Budōkai game in 2002, when he's supposed to be 10 or 11 then (depending on whether you're reading or watching). And ditto Boo arc Gohan being called "adult" Gohan when he's literally said to be 16 going on 17 then. Just more weird FUNi bullshit that sadly still persists to this day, needlessly confusing many members of the fandom...
"Teen Gohan" existed before the Funi dub. I saw it on old websites before the Android Saga was even dub. The same with "Kid" Buu. Also, Funi hadn't nothing to do with the Budōkai games. Finally, Gohan was 9 in the manga and 11 in the anime.
Well, notice how I specifically wrote "going back at the very least to the first Budōkai game in 2002", so I'm not surprised at all lol

Did FUNi not write the scripts for the cutscenes or supervise the naming and terminology in the game? I mean, to be fair, it does have things like:
- Having Kaiōken written as as "King Kai Fist" (which, techinically, is 2/3rds accurately translated from Kaiōken), though in the cutscenes and the actual voice lines in battle, it's still FUNi's shitty mispronounced Kay-oken
- The accurate translation of Kikōhō as "Ki Blast Cannon" instead of their favorite dumbass tRi-BeAm, and unlike Kaiōken, that extended even to the in-battle voice lines and ONE instance in the cutscenes (when he fires it at Nappa), though it's said as merely "Blast Cannon"... though, of course, another instance (in the what-if story of Cell absorbing Kuririn) had him say Tri-Beam... *siiiiigh*
- The general, consistent use of the word "Ki" in the game, as opposed to FUNi's use of "energy" in their dub of the anime at the time.

But there are also a bunch of really weird, nonsensical, completely contradictory things in the story mode cutscenes that seem 100% like fuckups 2002 FUNimation would have made, like:
- Ōzaru Vegeta saying "That power level, where?" when Gohan and Kuririn show up, despite the fact that at that point Vegeta hadn't taught himself how to sense Ki yet (in the original Japanese, he's basically just like "What was that noise"?)
- Freeza saying "So, come back for more, have you? Some people just never learn, do they?" when Gokū first shows up to fight him... despite the fact that FREEZA HAD NEVER EVEN MET OR SEEN GOKŪ UNTIL THEN lmao
- Piccolo saying "Cell, you monster!", the second he first shows up in Ginger Town to fight him... despite the fact that that was the first time Piccolo had ever SEEN Cell, BEFORE they fight, AND before Toriyama ruined Cell's entire AMAZING setup by having him lazily exposit every single tiny little detail about himself to Piccolo, including the mere fact that's he's CALLED Cell lol

Plus, you also have the usual FUNi shit like Frieza, Krillin, Tien, Master Roshi, King Kai, Kay-oken, Say-in, Recoome, Burter, Jeice, Saibamen, Hercule, Dr. Djero, Flying Nimbus, Special Beam Cannon, etc. So, it was a REALLY weird mix of a bunch of things that TOTALLY seemed like stuff FUNi would absolutely have done at the time in 2002, and a very small handful of things that seem a tad off the beaten path for their usual practices at the time.

So did FUNi basically just do for Budōkai 1 what Ocean did for the 1996-98 FUNi/Saban Z dub and really only provided the voice acting, and all the other localization writing decisions were made by Infogrames or something along those lines?
Funi had no control over the gaming script of any game. That is done by a different translation company, especially when Funi’s subs even in the early 2000s didn’t match the games. For the most part, the gaming script is closer to the official translation for JP that uses the English terms and names. Think Yugioh Duel Links that uses the English name changes and even stuff like Shadow Realm, but the text are in line with the original manga and anime.

You see still see this in Dragon Ball since in Toei’s official sub of Dragon Ball Super they used terms like Kaioken Fist and Supreme Kai-sama.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.