How would you like GT to be handled going forward?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

How would you like GT to be handled going forward?

Post by songohan619 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:51 am

So, with Super, the movies etc. being released during the last decade, it`s clear that GT is being viewed as an "alternative" version of the story post-DBZ. With rumors of new productions appearing, how would you like the license-holders to treat GT going forward?

-Should they never touch it again story-wise, and just use plot point, transformations and characters for video games, merch etc.?

-Should they try to explain a way that the existing GT-series CAN still fit in the "main story", perhaps with a movie/TV-series explaining away all the differences between GT and Super?

-Should they retell the GT-story in a new series that uses the most popular aspects of GT (Baby, SSJ4, Kid Goku), but that retells the story so that it makes sense within the modern DB-stories?

If I could choose, I would love to see a GT-retelling within either a new series, a movie, or perhaps in a game? Something for the hardcore fans, but not necessarily the "new big thing" for the franchise.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: How would you like GT to be handled going forward?

Post by Grimlock » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:15 am

Just have a GT character say they are from an alternate dimension, just as Xeno Goku did. Speaking of which, Dragon Ball Heroes is evidence that that's exactly how Shueisha and Dimps treat/view Dragon Ball GT. I don't know what else "needs" to be done for this to be clear to everyone else.
songohan619 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:51 amIf I could choose, I would love to see a GT-retelling
Why? Don't we have enough retellings already? :|
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:20 am

I would like it if GT still happens after DBS. Maybe have SSJ4 appear and make it possible to combine Oozaru and SSJ4 with God Ki and God transformation.

Imagine SSJ4 + UI or SSJ4 + UE.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:43 am

As far as I'm concerned, the two (or more) separate versions of Super are the "alternative" stories, not GT. They're what-if realities where Beerus woke up a few decades early and interrupted the post-Boo time period that the original manga suggested was peaceful and uneventful. I do kind of like the fun fan-theory that the events of the Battle of Gods movie, and nothing else Super-adjacent beyond it, actually happened in the GT reality, but that's beside the point. All things considered, GT and the two main versions of Super each simply constitute three separate spin-off continuities of their own, alongside various other post-Boo things like Dragon Ball Online and even Neko Majin.

Buuuuuut I'd still love if when the one remaining version of Super finally has the decency to end for good, maybe with a recap of the 28th World Tournament events, they cap it off by saying "if you want to see what happens next, go watch Dragon Ball GT!" It wouldn't make a lick of sense, but it'd be worth it to see a bunch of the cAnOn obsessive fans' heads collectively explode after nearly a decade of insistence that nothing made prior to 2015 matters anymore.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:02 am

I think they mainly have three viable options.

Option 1: as you said, they can reimagine the events of GT within the new Super container, tweak some things here and there, though I'm not sure how they can make that work unless some of those "tweaks" would actually be complete overhauls. Also, plot holes. Still, animes and mangas are known for doing this, Toriyama himself retconned many things over the years, most notably Buu's family history, so this might work, though add me to the pile of people who'd rather see new original content instead of yet another retelling.

Option 2: I already mentioned this in a previous post, Zeno and/or the angels might think that the mortals are becoming too powerful and shouldn't wield godly powers ("Zamasu was right all along!1!"), so they selectively erase everyone's memories, Super Saiyan God isn't a thing anymore. End of Z plays out as planned, Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku starts playing in the background.

Option 3: like Future Trunks altered the course of the story from the end of Namek onwards, they might just simply say "hey, there's been another time traveler who arrived in the main timeline right after they defeated Buu, but nobody knew about that for some reason, so yeah, here's a whole new timeline, GT is now as alternate as Future Trunks' future".

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:17 am

Like a series that existed in the 90s and doesn't need to be retouched or revisted aside from video games

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:45 am

I think what I'd like the most would be if GT is part of those erased universes. That'd mean that those universes are actual copies of the remaining ones but with some tweaks.

Tying DBS and GT together is a can of zombie worms. Not only the powercreep would be too much even for this fandom, there's just too many things to retcon and I'm not too fond of taking away what DBS brought to the table and memoryswipe the entire cast(god ki, new forms, new deities, new friends).

I would not want to have a new version of GT either, even if it corrects the obvious flaws or if it accomodates DBS. I like it how it is, even with its shortcomings. So, at best, let it be part of the main continuity, whether it's GT being part of U17 or something related to time travel and it being part of U7.

If they must tie DBS and GT together, then go nuts with the powercreep, the god forms are obsolete now that Goku has UI in his base and in his SS forms, and just add a small scene in the end of SS4 Gogeta trying to challenge Beerus and getting oneshot. The franchise should be a joke by then.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:08 pm

When DBS started I saw it as the ultimate refutation of GT - we know Toriyama wasn't fond of how GT turned out, and Super was it chance to try again. So I guess while GT was always a "non-canon" side story, I feel like its been ever further marginalized and should probably be allowed to gracefully fade out of sight.

Actually, this is exactly why GT Kid Goku appearing in DBFZ was so disappointing. Why couldn't the real Kid Goku appear instead?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:21 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:08 pm we know Toriyama wasn't fond of how GT turned out
Since when?

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:42 pm

The best solution would be to officialy present GT as alternate timeline or something, kinda like in Xenoverse 2 where Trunks kills Purple Jelly Zamasu and we see GT team giving him energy. That would not only end any discussions about canon (although people would still argue which timeline is the 'main' one) but also solve entire "GT taking place after Super doesn't make sense" problem. With different timeline there is no reason to explain why Super elements are missing, no one is using god forms prior to unlocking SSJ4 etc.

Do i want GT to be continued? No. It has perfect ending. Any sequel would ruin it unless it wasn't about Goku which would fail cause DB can't exist without Goku.

Do i want GT to be retelled? No. That would be pointless.

What i'd like to see is actual GT movie. Or Super x GT movie. The latter is more likely to happen and wouldn't really be that surprising to me if they ever decided to do that.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:57 pm

I would rather have brand new original stories. I'm getting sick of just re-telling the same stories over and over again. People hate when Super re-tells common ground, but re-doing GT is now okay cool? There's a lot of storying telling that can easily be done after Z. We still never seen the other universes fully.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:12 pm

I don't see what needs to be changed (nor why Toriyama should care about GT). While Toriyama/Toei/Toyotaro continue writing major stories for the Super timeline, a few GT characters can get some spotlight in Heroes if Toei feels like it. It's been like this for the past 10 years. There's no need to change anything.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:48 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:17 am Like a series that existed in the 90s and doesn't need to be retouched or revisted aside from video games
Best answer, honestly. Why does it feel like everyone somehow wants to divorce these series from the times they were aired in?
Aside which no one is ever going to go back to that series anyway, for rather obvious reasons.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:55 am

The GT time line that we have, is a time line that Beerus never woke up, the Saiyans never gains God Ki and God form. That time line can exist, without getting touched at all.
However what about a new GT, that this time line is were Beerus wakes up and is connected to DBS?

Then this new GT can be connected to DBS. Then we can have SSJ4 and God forms in the same anime and maybe even combine DBS UI or UE with GT SSJ4 to make something new.

GT best Saiyan form is SSJ4.
DBS best Saiyan form is SSB at first, then UI and UE.