Dragon Ball Magic? *RUMOR*

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Magic? *RUMOR*

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:04 am

I think it's all a case where, even if the information itself can be reliable at the time, the actual internal politics and resource shuffling makes things easily subject to change.

As we've learned with the Iyoku situation, we shouldn't doubt how much internal struggle there can be in the Dragon Room.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:28 am

Shaddy wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:03 pm I Why are we just assuming they "can't" do the manga rather than because adapting a monthly ongoing manga is still a supremely stupid idea (seriously, it seems like people want bad pacing and filler shit)? I'm surprised that anyone with credibility is even talking about this.
Why would it be badly paced? Two arcs are already complete, just adapt them for a new season of DBS and that's it.

You do know seasonal anime exist right? It's why newer anime like My Hero Academia and Ju Jutsu Kaisen aren't stuck in months of filler hell like Naruto was or bloated with padding like One Piece.
WittyUsername wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:03 pm Thank you. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to understand why some people are so desperate for the anime to return,
Because they like seeing Dragon Ball animated... what's so hard to get? A lot of anime fans don't read manga.
just so they can adapt stories that I don’t even think are that great or exciting to begin with.
Both arcs have their problems sure, but an anime adaptation can make changes like how the DBS manga and anime tell different versions of the same story.

Also look at the way One Piece has been animated for the Wano arc. As much i have issue with the Granolah arc I would want to see something like UE Vegeta make his animated debut with some amazing animation.

The anime version of the TOP had its issues but still gave us some of the most iconic scenes in the history of the franchise such as the debut of UI Omen and MUI along with Freeza teaming up with Goku to defeat Jiren.

Dragon Ball fans want more moments like that.. again I have to ask what's so hard to understand about this?

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:00 am

Grimlock wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:02 am But when you factor in all the other occurrences of "it's coming back!" only to be proven false, you realize this doesn't make any sense. Once we assume the leakers were always right, that would mean all the times there was something in production they were dismissed, never to be released. Why would there be attempts of bringing something back only for it to be discarded and why would that happen multiple times? Only the 2020 year has an answer, but what about all the other years that "leakers" said something would come but never did?

If this thing turns out to be false, then 2023 will join the Clown Parade along with the other years. And to think 2022 almost went clean, but right in November there were "leakers" saying something was coming. It's almost like it's mandatory that we have our yearly "it's coming back!" (and that we have yearly threads about each of them here)...

The question needs to be asked, though: if this thing turns out to be true, will people praise the "leakers" and put them on a pedestal for being right? Or will people realize that if you repeatedly say something is going to happen, and it finally happens, then they made an inaccurate prediction? This reminds of Aunt Wu from Avatar, who "predicts" a man will find a partner and he will be wearing red shoes when that happens. The man then starts wearing red shoes every single day...
I don't make any factual claims about the inner workings of the franchise, but I think it's fair to assume the recent Iyoku business has proven that the franchise has been a mess internally for years now. It's perfectly plausible projects have been in production and been cancelled/delayed.

All I'm saying is that this time we have multiple trustworthy people corroborating this leak, not just new twitter accounts. It's possible nothing will come out of it, but I think people have a reason to get excited this time.

EpilefWow

Post by EpilefWow » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:52 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ci13uO ... roductions

This video is really good explaining how Dragon Ball can't just be seasonal easily. Toei has to agree, Shueisha and the Dragon Room have to agree, and Fuji TV has to agree. And weekly Dragon Ball prints money.

This probably one of the factors the show has yet to come back.
QUICKLY! THEY'RE ALREADY HERE !! Akira Toriyama is my uncle, he told me Dragon Ball will return in

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:20 pm

To clarify a few things:

- There was never any Dragon Ball series in production prior to when this leaked one's inception, and that was long, long after any of those 2019 embarrassments. Anyone claiming 'plans changed' or 'things were delayed' at this point is wrong at best or wilfully lying to save face. As someone who was embarrassingly part of that 2019 mishap, I can tell you with certainly that was a perfect storm of misunderstandings, confirmation bias, and ego-fuelled blindness. The grifters who have been perpetuating that nonsense for years and then coordinated this leak are shameless and irresponsible.

- As far as how this leak happened and where this information came from... It's something I've been wondering myself based on what has been said so far. The people responsible don't seem to have any first-hand information themselves. A lot of what they've posted is laughably wrong or misunderstood, but some of the basic details are correct, so at least someone partially in the know told them. My guess is that it's someone junior on the licensor side of things who has very limited info. The anime industry has been plagued with leaks through this type of source - it has lead to full episodes being leaked, announcements being undercut, and entire staff lists making their way into the public. In these worst-case scenarios, it's lead to simulcasts being delayed, so it's an immensely irresponsible thing to do.

- Full scale leaks have become incredibly prevalent in recent years due to the way the anime industry has evolved (devolved, really). With production requirements continuing to explode and Japan itself not having enough animators to keep up with the demand, production assistants have taken to Twitter to recruit overseas animators. These have typically been amateurs who've posted fan animations here and there and happened to have an email address on their page. They get hired to do 2nd KA clean-up, which gives them access to the storyboards, layouts, production documents etc. Sometimes this works out super well and leads to people getting great opportunities in an industry they otherwise wouldn't, but it's also presented issues where their lack of training has meant their work has needed completely redoing. And well, the lack of professional experience also means they're not so good at keeping their mouths shut. Both factors have lead to Japanese staff complaining about "gaigen" (gaijin genga) on Twitter.

I have no idea whether this series will really be unveiled at Comic Con, but it sure would be nice to just put this nonsense to bed and take all the power away from these people auctioning off half-baked info for followers.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:58 pm

The Monkey King wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:28 am
Shaddy wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:03 pm I Why are we just assuming they "can't" do the manga rather than because adapting a monthly ongoing manga is still a supremely stupid idea (seriously, it seems like people want bad pacing and filler shit)? I'm surprised that anyone with credibility is even talking about this.
Why would it be badly paced? Two arcs are already complete, just adapt them for a new season of DBS and that's it.

You do know seasonal anime exist right? It's why newer anime like My Hero Academia and Ju Jutsu Kaisen aren't stuck in months of filler hell like Naruto was or bloated with padding like One Piece.
This. Honestly though, I'd take filler hell too. Naruto had some gems (Boruto's problem was that the characters aren't half as likable or interesting) and One Piece's issue is that they're wasting time on recaps about how Luffy ate his devil fruit or found his crewmates for the umpteenth time instead of adapting the cover stories.

Outside of copy Vegeta, The few filler episodes DBS had were pretty alright. And I would be okay with a recap of DBS broly since there was cut content, and it would also mean we'd get proper transformation sequences and maybe even a slower paced fight for SSB Gogeta and LSS Broly. As long as they're just as good looking as the recent One Piece episodes have been I don't see the problem.

Dragon Ball magic or anything like that sounds like the biggest monkey paw they could give us.
-
Speaking of One Piece, I just noticed something. Toei treats Dragon Ball like garbage compared to One Piece. The quality jump between the best Wano fights and the best ToP fights would be enough to break your legs. It's like that meme of the guy holding the dog and the cat's in the background all sad

But Dragon Ball gets treated faaar better by Bandai, DB gets a game almost every year and some of them are great, with One Piece, they usually get a game once every few years and the current ones, Odyssey, Pirate Warriors, and the gachas are the only games that are still getting consistent updates, and they don't seem to be popular or as popular.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:56 pm

Ajay wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:20 pm - There was never any Dragon Ball series in production prior to when this leaked one's inception, and that was long, long after any of those 2019 embarrassments. Anyone claiming 'plans changed' or 'things were delayed' at this point is wrong at best or wilfully lying to save face. As someone who was embarrassingly part of that 2019 mishap, I can tell you with certainly that was a perfect storm of misunderstandings, confirmation bias, and ego-fuelled blindness. The grifters who have been perpetuating that nonsense for years and then coordinated this leak are shameless and irresponsible.
Well, assuming this is a genuine product, those same grifters are heavily riding the coattails of people who are directly making the claims, so if this is real they will of course continue to take credit and it will make everyone forget how wrong they were in 2019. This is already obviously being set up.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:35 pm

The post was edited, saw someone else with a screenshot showing that it was originally written "no context needed" but I don't know if it's reliable, does anyone know what was written before they edited it? (This account uploads images of DB 86, Z and Super animes, this is the first GT image they uploaded)
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:15 pm

Just when I thought Dragonball couldn't nose dive even further... I really hope for Dragonball's sake that this is fake, I say this as probably the only Supreme Kai fan on the planet. What is the obsession with Kid Goku? And why would Shin become a kid? Aren't Kais fully adult when they are born from the fruit? I hope to Kami that this is fake.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:02 pm

I will piss myself laughing if what’s revealed at Comic Con is completely different to what we’ve heard from the “leaks”. Just thinking of the shit storm that’ll ensue on Twitter gets me giddy.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:18 am

Xeogran wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:43 pm In the end this is gonna have great animation and people will stop whining.
Just like when they "rehashed" Broly and everyone whined at the announcement, but look where we are now.

The only problem is the plot STILL being before EoZ for some dumb, unfoudned reason. This kind of story should be definitely after it for more potential, actual stakes. Now we know everything will be fine and dandy. AGAIN.

GT had Piccolo die to save the Earth for example, Buu sacrificing himself to save Uub and fuse with him.
Nothing of such consequence can happen here, because it's still stuck as the midquel.
Super has introduced a lot of new characters, and this serie will too. We have no idea where Beerus, Shin or other deities are at the end of Z. There can be consequences.

So I think it’s not that bad that this happens before. And unless they had a better way to end the serie than the original manga did, which I doubt they have, it’s better to keep the stories before it.

This one sounds particularly interesting. I don’t get why people would rather see Moro and Granolah animated than something new, written by Toriyama and inspired by DB’s origins and its Journey To The West inspiration.

I’m all in for this. It sounds like it can be very good.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:50 am

What's the point of originality if the story isn't told well? At the very least a well-crafted series can take faniliar ideas—even Dragon Ball-specific ideas—and make them refreshing.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:50 pm

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:30 pm

Xeogran wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:50 pm https://twitter.com/ToeiAnimation/statu ... 1580858404
Yeah, it's definitely happening.
Finally!

I just hope its good so everyone can enjoy it. :thumbup:

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:35 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:30 pm
Xeogran wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:50 pm https://twitter.com/ToeiAnimation/statu ... 1580858404
Finally!

I just hope its good so everyone can enjoy it. :thumbup:
Dragon Ball fans enjoying Dragon Ball? Never gonna happen :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:06 pm

It's a good indication something MIGHT be happening, it doesn't confirm Dragon Ball Magic

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:47 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:06 pm
It's a good indication something MIGHT be happening, it doesn't confirm Dragon Ball Magic
At this point, I’m inclined to think it’s more likely than Super coming back as an anime.

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:53 pm

Umm... soooo.... is literally EVERYONE completely missing the fact that this nothing more than a follow-up tweet to this?
https://twitter.com/ToeiAnimation/statu ... 2703504746

It's not talking about Dragon Ball Magic. It's not talking about Dragon Ball 2uper. It's not talking about ANY new DB project, animated or otherwise...

It's literally just talking about a balloon. A Gokū balloon set to debut at Tōei's booth at NYC Comic-con. That's IT. And this is why context is always super, duper important lmao

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:59 pm

Vegetto95 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:53 pmAnd this is why context is always super, duper important lmao
You would think so, but considering the kind of sphere this is... it seems like too much trouble for some to take that into account.
(Doesn't help that people have to be logged in to see thread chains now.)

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:07 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:59 pm Doesn't help that people have to be logged in to see thread chains now.
Ahhh... I did not know that (I barely ever use Twitter, even before the buyout). Thanks a BUNCH, Elon... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Still... it's not like people can't just, you know... just click on the link for Toei's Twitter page to see all of their tweets and find out that way...