Least Common Pioneer/Funimation DVD singles?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZLADMAN

Least Common Pioneer/Funimation DVD singles?

Post by ZLADMAN » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:26 pm

What are the least common Funimation/Pioneer DVD singles? I've heard some discussion about the rarity of certain VHS tapes (namely edited Dragon Ball ones) but I haven't seen discussion about the DVD side. In my personal experience, there are very common ones and not so common ones. For example, some of the Frieza singles were challenging to find for me personally. Another example is that the Bardock Funimation single from 2000 seems to go for a significantly larger sum of money than the other singles online (30 to 50 USD).
What do you guys think? Which singles seem to be less common than the others and why do you believe that to be the case?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Least Common Pioneer/Funimation DVD singles?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:04 am

Trunks: Prelude To Terror (5 episode version)

The more common one:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:21 pm

I was going to say the 5-episode version of Prelude To Terror myself. I have the 3-episode version, and I've heard lots of stories of fans being disappointed that's all they could find.

I'm not sure about rarity of the other singles, but everything up to Garlic Junior is more sought after because they contain Funimation's original dub with the Ocean Studios cast for episodes 1-53, Chris Sabat's Brian Drummond impression, Dale Kelly, etc, hence them going for high prices individually online.

The singles for the Androids, Imperfect Cell, Perfect Cell, Cell Games, Great Saiyaman, World Tournament, Babidi, Majin Buu, Fusion and Kid Buu series tend to cost less because the differences between the dubs on them and all the Z releases since the orange bricks is minimal.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ZLADMAN

Post by ZLADMAN » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:15 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:21 pm I'm not sure about rarity of the other singles, but everything up to Garlic Junior is more sought after because they contain Funimation's original dub with the Ocean Studios cast for episodes 1-53, Chris Sabat's Brian Drummond impression, Dale Kelly, etc, hence them going for high prices individually online.
Is that the reason why? I figured some of the Frieza volumes were produced in lower quantities than later volumes or something since some of them are very easy to get, while others are a little bit more elusive. For Example, "The Summoning", "Super Saiyan Goku" and "Transformation" can be found relatively easily for under 15 USD dollars used, while simply finding a single listing for "Revealed" or "Desperation" can be a struggle in itself at times, and the prices for those vary widely. I remember there was a good year or so where I never saw a single listing for "Clash", but now I see multiple at a time for about 20 USD used each. "Namek's End" is special in that it is unusually common to find, even sealed, for a cheap price. I inadvertently ended up with three of them while collecting the set, which also happened to me with "Kid Buu - Regression".

All of this being said, I don't think any of the volumes are necessarily rare, which is why I specifically chose the wording "least common" over "rare" for the thread. "Trunks - Prelude to Terror (2002 reissue)" might be an exception, however it could be that the over-abundance of listings for the original 3 episode version in secondhand markets just makes it more difficult to find.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:34 am

ZLADMAN wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:15 pmIs that the reason why? I figured some of the Frieza volumes were produced in lower quantities than later volumes or something since some of them are very easy to get, while others are a little bit more elusive.
I could be wrong, but I believe so. Funimation's original dub of Z season 3 is a bit of a novelty because the dub on the orange bricks, Dragon Boxes and all Blu-Rays is identical whereas the singles feature the dub American fans watched on Toonami. Much was redubbed including Stephanie Nadolny's Gohan and Sonny Strait's Krillin up until when Freeza impales Krillin and episode 94 respectively. Additionally there were several voices replaced for the season sets such as the unnamed actor for Tien between Chris Cason and John Burgmeier.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:11 am

I remember some of the Saiyaman ones being harder to find. I could be wrong but I think they were the last to be released. The release order for the singles was weird.