Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:45 pm

Oh boy, if Champa becomes a kid too, I'll be the definition of CALLED IT.

I saw a meme comparing Daima to the Cell movie reenactment from the 25th TB :lol:

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:48 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:03 pm Thank goodness Adult Swim started going into a more kid friendly thing and now airs old CN shows alongside hardcore Adult Cartoons like Rick and Morty. Because otherwise this would have not fit that block and I think they will want to air it.

AND THANK GOD TELEFUTURO AND LATELE AIR DRAGON BALL IN PARAGUAY. I am so happy about this.
Wait, but isn't this going to be a web series or was that just a rumor?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:54 pm

Is there any good reason as to why we can't see Trunks hair as a baby? Also...

PURPLE HAIR IS BACK! I don't think Japan has the word "consistency" in their vocabulary/dictionary. :lol:

We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:55 pm

Goten and Trunks turning into literal babies after everyone groaned about them not growing up for so long is fucking perfect. God bless Akira Toriyama.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:56 pm

mecha3000 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:48 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:03 pm Thank goodness Adult Swim started going into a more kid friendly thing and now airs old CN shows alongside hardcore Adult Cartoons like Rick and Morty. Because otherwise this would have not fit that block and I think they will want to air it.

AND THANK GOD TELEFUTURO AND LATELE AIR DRAGON BALL IN PARAGUAY. I am so happy about this.
Dont ask me, I know as much as you do which is not much at all. I think will DEFINITELY air on TV. They would NOT make this big a deal about something that aired online only.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:58 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:36 pm I don't remember if there was any reaction to their separation, so I will take your word for it.
https://youtu.be/8XJoT8itJ8c?si=oYiMA6QoJvvTT8cK it's the english dub, but I believe the dialogue is fairly accurate to the original.

Also it's interesting to think that this could take place before or right after BoG, and that Kibitoshin not being a thing anymore is just part of the magic
After all, if we really take to count that they turned back into kids because the villain is around Kaioshin's power level, I think it's fair to unfuse Kibitoshin, as he's supposed to be SSJ2 level AFAIK?

And agreed with Xeogran, make it at least be post-Super Hero, just take us out of this 10 years hell already :crazy:
Grimlock wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:54 pm PURPLE HAIR IS BACK! I don't think Japan has the word "consistency" in their vocabulary/dictionary. :lol:

and what if the purple hair is again because only teen-adult Trunks can have blue hair, man I won't know what to do anymore :lol:
Last edited by Rafa Fast on Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:03 pm

The character designs honestly make me wonder if this is just right after the battle with Beers, hence why there's not a ton of transformations flying around. Either way, I think it'll be a lot of fun.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:11 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:56 pm

Dont ask me, I know as much as you do which is not much at all. I think will DEFINITELY air on TV. They would NOT make this big a deal about something that aired online only.
Sailor Moon Crystal (for the initial 26 episodes) and Digimon Tri were online only and they got a pretty big push by Toei.

Even if it aired on Japanese television it might still go straight to Crunchyroll for release outside of Japan or vice versa

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:13 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:03 pm The character designs honestly make me wonder if this is just right after the battle with Beers, hence why there's not a ton of transformations flying around. Either way, I think it'll be a lot of fun.
Honestly, I think that'd kill most of my interest. The new anime is supposed to make Super move forward, not back...

Speaking of Super not progressing, I really wish we knew why they did this instead of adapting Moro or even the Broly movie. There was 70 minutes worth of cut content I would have loved to seen animated.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:16 pm

I don't like the character designs very much. Goku's hair looks off and the heads are too big.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:16 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:11 pm

Sailor Moon Crystal (for the initial 26 episodes) and Digimon Tri were online only and they got a pretty big push by Toei.

Even if it aired on Japanese television it might still go straight to Crunchyroll for release outside of Japan or vice versa
Digimon Tri was on Movie Theaters in Japan (My argument being that this WILL air on TV in Japan, and if that happens it will also happen elsewhere) and you got me good with Crystal... but I remember what a horrible experience that was for everyone involved including Toei so I doubt they will try that again.

However I might be wrong and I admit that but otherwise stick to my guns in theorizing what will happen.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

M16U3L2015
Not-So-Newbie

Post by M16U3L2015 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:17 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:11 pm

Or they could do what they are currently doing with One Piece, broadcast it on TV in Japan and simulcast it on Crunchyroll in the rest of the world. And have the dubs air on TV first.

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:20 pm

So pumped!

Looks awesome - ready for something different

I also doubt they will remain children very long. It might just be a misdirect or maybe the opening story.

Salt-sensei

Post by Salt-sensei » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:23 pm

I wasn't putting a lot of faith on the rumors, but I'm kinda glad it's real. I think DB is at it's best when it's being silly, so I'm all for it.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:25 pm

This is a weird choice indeed, but eh, by reading Jump I noticed that Japanese people and I have completely different tastes sometimes [e.g. they cancel mangas I like (such as super smartphone or time paradox ghostwriter) while they keep other mangas I don't get the point of (such as the ichinose family's deadly sins, seriously, wtf is that)], so I don't really know what to think at this point, they're literally unpredictable in their choices.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:27 pm

If this is a chibi-fying spell instead of an age spell, I think it's safe to say this takes place before Super Hero.

Goten & Trunks in Super Hero are the same size as other characters, so if they were to shrink then Goten would be about the same size as Chibi Goku.

Goten & Trunks must've been not as tall so that's why they look like babies, though that doesn't explain their getup. I doubt they were dressed up like babies :lol:

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:29 pm

A new world, huh?

The only way to build up on this, in my honest opinion, is for them to take things into the Demon Realm; I'm not saying that should be the very first place that they visit, but this mysterious new world? Surely, there should be places that eventually lead to the Demon Realm.

Magic is a heavy concept in the Demon Realm according to Toriyama (correct me if I'm mistaken), so this is the only conclusion that I can come to. Perhaps we see something even greater than that of Dabura. We have no idea how time flows in the Demon Realm, so by now there must be a new Demon Lord running amok from within that has long surpassed the likes of Dabura's powers and potentially even Babidi's magic.

Only time will tell, but it's about damn time we get to explore the Demon Realm.

Konja7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Konja7 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:31 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:16 pm Digimon Tri was on Movie Theaters in Japan (My argument being that this WILL air on TV in Japan, and if that happens it will also happen elsewhere) and you got me good with Crystal... but I remember what a horrible experience that was for everyone involved including Toei so I doubt they will try that again.

However I might be wrong and I admit that but otherwise stick to my guns in theorizing what will happen.
Toei tried ONAs like Sailor Moon Crystal with Saint Seiya Soul of Gold. Both look pretty bad.

However, Sailor Moon Crystal wasn't really a big thing for Toei. I'm pretty sure Crystal S1/S2 were ONAs, because it was cheaper.

Regarding Dragon Ball Daima, it seems they have invested on this anime. So, I'm pretty sure it will be a TV show.
Last edited by Konja7 on Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:31 pm

I do have to wonder what's going to happen to the Dragon Ball Super manga. Does it just continue as its own separate entity? Or does Toyotaro get to do one more major arc before wrapping up the manga and adapting Daima?

I mean, if the reports are true and that the show has been in production for more than two years (going into three years now) and at least 12 episodes have already been prepared and staff is getting even more time to work on the show, I think this show may be around for the long haul and will outright replace Super as the new long-running project.

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:34 pm

The Good:
  • Mostly 2D animation
  • Above average animation fluidity and complexity
  • (Possibly) features more adventure than fighting
The Bad:
  • Novelty will probably wear off fast
  • Expanded rehash of GT's kidifying concept
Not really feeling it currently, but will reserve judgement until I've seen it.