Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Raki
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by Raki » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:36 pm

This will be the only Dragonball series I dont buy to own.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Konja7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Konja7 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:37 pm

I don't know how reliable is this twitter user, but it mentions some information about Dragon Ball Daima:

https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/17 ... 0126397629

https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/17 ... 2613145993

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:41 pm

Konja7 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:37 pm I don't know how reliable is this twitter user, but it mentions some information about Dragon Ball Daima:

https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/17 ... 0126397629

https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/17 ... 2613145993

Pretty optimistic about this series. Big adventure vibes to it that I've been craving. Anything but another tournament series haha
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:41 pm

Bardock God of Time wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:27 pm If this is a chibi-fying spell instead of an age spell, I think it's safe to say this takes place before Super Hero.
Roshi and Gyumao (edit: also Satan) lose their beards, so it's a de-aging spell. Goku and Vegeta probably also lose much of their power and ki/transformation abilities.

With Kibito and Shin being unfused, timeline-wise my money's on Daima occurring somewhere within early Super.
Last edited by Mr Baggins on Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:45 pm

I'd bet we'll still see Blond SS within the final battle. It's too iconic and toy sales.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:47 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:45 pm I'd bet we'll still see Blond SS within the final battle. It's too iconic and toy sales.
Watch the Nyoibo go SSJ too and everyone goes nuts over it :lol:
Last edited by Xeogran on Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:48 pm

Konja7 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:31 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:16 pm Digimon Tri was on Movie Theaters in Japan (My argument being that this WILL air on TV in Japan, and if that happens it will also happen elsewhere) and you got me good with Crystal... but I remember what a horrible experience that was for everyone involved including Toei so I doubt they will try that again.

However I might be wrong and I admit that but otherwise stick to my guns in theorizing what will happen.
Toei tried ONAs like Sailor Moon Crystal with Saint Seiya Soul of Gold. Both look pretty bad.

However, Sailor Moon Crystal wasn't really a big thing for Toei. I'm pretty sure Crystal S1/S2 were ONAs, because it was cheaper.

Regarding Dragon Ball Daima, it seems they have invested on this anime. So, I'm pretty sure it will be a TV show.
Here we are at the end of the year of our lord Dende 2023 and people still think online streaming is secondary to traditional television.

Of course it COULD air on tv (Japanese television at least) but its just as likely, if not more so, to be a straight to streaming series. Money being thrown at it really doesn't automatically point to it airing on television.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M16U3L2015
Not-So-Newbie

Post by M16U3L2015 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:48 pm

One small thing I will complain about is that since Battle Of Gods, they keeps reusing the same logo. I feel they are too lazy to come up with a more creative logo.

Something like the Kai logo or the one used in Super: Broly.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:52 pm

Looks pretty. It'll probably be 25 episodes max. Too nice and too beautifull to be a long term series. I'm disappointed. It doesn't help that it comes from Toriyama. He really is out of ideas. This franchise should be taken over by someone who cares or just die.
Last edited by Trouser on Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:53 pm

Man, those wafer cards of Chibi UI Goku, Chibi SSB Vegeta, etc... talk about giving us a heads up.

Although, probably no big forms. However, a Chibi Giant Orange Piccolo would be nice and confusing.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:55 pm

Konja7 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:31 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:16 pm Digimon Tri was on Movie Theaters in Japan (My argument being that this WILL air on TV in Japan, and if that happens it will also happen elsewhere) and you got me good with Crystal... but I remember what a horrible experience that was for everyone involved including Toei so I doubt they will try that again.

However I might be wrong and I admit that but otherwise stick to my guns in theorizing what will happen.
Toei tried ONAs like Sailor Moon Crystal with Saint Seiya Soul of Gold. Both look pretty bad.

However, Sailor Moon Crystal wasn't really a big thing for Toei. I'm pretty sure Crystal S1/S2 were ONAs, because it was cheaper.

Regarding Dragon Ball Daima, it seems they have invested on this anime. So, I'm pretty sure it will be a TV show.
Crystal had zero support from Toei Animation (and led to Series Director Sakai Munehisa quitting Toei as a result) and Soul of Gold was animated by Bridge, rather than Toei Animation (they were only the production studio). Dragon Ball Daima, on the other hand, has full in-house support and several of the big name freelancers that typically work on the franchise.

This isn't 2014 anymore.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:58 pm

Hopefully, this gets a physical home release instead of being streaming only. I could totally see shitty Crunchyroll keeping this exclusive to their service. If they do release it physically, I could see it being called Dragon Ball Daima: Wish One instead of Part One or Set One. But that's just me. It fits the magic feel of this series. Ah, the "Wish Sets". Love the sound of that.
Last edited by mecha3000 on Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:59 pm

It's nice to see Kid Goku's most iconic piece of equipment back.

I wonder what Chibi Vegeta will think of it.

Konja7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Konja7 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:59 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:48 pmHere we are at the end of the year of our lord Dende 2023 and people still think online streaming is secondary to traditional television.

Of course it COULD air on tv (Japanese television at least) but its just as likely, if not more so, to be a straight to streaming series. Money being thrown at it really doesn't automatically point to it airing on television.
I'm speaking about the online streaming in Japan for Sailor Moon Crystal S1/S2 and Saint Seiya Soul of Gold, which were online streaming in websites created by Toei. Also, these two anime have a pretty low animation quality, so it's pretty clear that online streaming hasn't big investment.

If the online streaming happened on big streaming service (like Netflix), I wouldn't expect low quality.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:01 pm

I still think the premise is dumb and played out. The whole idea that children want to see other children as heroes is ill-informed to me. I know as a child I always preferred adult characters or when the child character grew up. I will say, that it's a tad bit more interesting that at least we get to see Vegeta and the others as kids. Still, why is it always the "turn into a kid's" wish? I mean sure, maybe you can't wish for Goku and the others to die, but how about wishing for them to be infants, or hell, even old geriatrics would at least be a new spin on the idea.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:03 pm

Trouser wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:52 pm Looks pretty. It'll probably be 25 episodes max. Too nice and too beautifull to be a long term series. I'm disappointed. It doesn't help that it comes from Toriyama. He really is out of ideas. This franchise should be taken over by someone who cares or just die.
To be fair, the Wano arc for the One Piece anime looked pretty damn great from start to finish and that arc lasted more than three years. It's very much possible with the proper planning, which Toei appears to have taken with Daima, to have a consistently good-looking long-running show.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:04 pm

M16U3L2015 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:48 pm One small thing I will complain about is that since Battle Of Gods, they keeps reusing the same logo. I feel they are too lazy to come up with a more creative logo.
I saw a leak of this logo (sans color) and I thought "Daima" was a fans translation given the font choice

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:04 pm

It’s been a long time coming. And I am actually so happy that they are presumably taking a break from the “Super” storyline or whatever that is. This looks like it can be the Dragon Ball series us diehards were waiting for. Super is such a poorly written show. This looks like there was a vision for the story and hopefully that vision is carried fully throughout the series. Could not be happier with what I have seen so far.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:11 pm

Konja7 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:59 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:48 pmHere we are at the end of the year of our lord Dende 2023 and people still think online streaming is secondary to traditional television.

I'm speaking about the online streaming in Japan for Sailor Moon Crystal S1/S2 and Saint Seiya Soul of Gold, which were online streaming in websites created by Toei. Also, these two anime have a pretty low animation quality, so it's pretty clear that online streaming hasn't big investment.

If the online streaming happened on big streaming service (like Netflix), I wouldn't expect low quality.
The circumstances were entirely different at the time. For one, streaming wasn't what it is now, and for two, Toei Animation was so busy taking on new projects at the time with next to zero pre-production that allowed time for staff to work ahead of release. We know that this series has already been in animation production for a year, and was in pre-production for a year before that.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:13 pm

It's all about the execution for me. I also didn't like Super Hero premise, but it was such a well done movie that has easily became one of my favourites.

- Not fan of modern Nakatsuru but the character designs are cool. Could be better if he got rid of the stupid hair highlights
- Beautiful color scheme and art direction once again just like the two previous movies.
- Animation looks great as one would expect from something with such good pre-production. And there's blood!
- Dragon Ball Damai is fine but they could just called it Dragon Ball SD. It's really feels like a new arc from that spin-off.

Music is something really important for me, so I hope we get a good composer. Liked Sumitomo work in DBS TV anime, however the rest of his work not really. Would love to have back Super Hero composer.

Fall 2024 release?! No way DBS TV anime comes back before 2026. It's impossible to look consistently good otherwise and even before that I would expect another movie.

It's inevitable that his will bing a whole new generation to the franchise which is always good.

Fun Fact: It's the first time Goku is using his Buu arc gi in morden DB anime. Not even in OVA 2008 he had it.
Vegeta should keep using his Buu arc design too.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.