Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:04 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:54 pm It seems there is blood in Vegeta's forehead, right?
I bet they put that blood there so Adult Swim wouldnt unwilling be to air such a babyish show lol.
Last edited by Cure Dragon 255 on Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:05 pm

Personally, I think it's a shame that they didn't take the chance and give the Saiyans back their monkey tails...
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:07 pm

jjbgood wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:05 pm Personally, I think it's a shame that they didn't take the chance and give the Saiyans back their monkey tails...
Toriyama do the most to not draw those monkey tails.

Oh Trunks and Goten don't have tails? I guess it was a recessive gene 🤭

Universe 6 Saiyane don't have tails? Uhhhh diffrent evolution 🤭

Toei be more attached to the JttW motif than Toriyama.

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:12 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:07 pm
jjbgood wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:05 pm Personally, I think it's a shame that they didn't take the chance and give the Saiyans back their monkey tails...

I understand Toriyama's statement that he was tired of drawing the monkey tails, so he decided to get rid of them in the manga. But here he wouldn't have to draw them at all? I rather think that once again he simply didn't think about it or didn't care. Seeing the Saiyans as kids with tails would definitely be much cooler...
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:13 pm

If Goten and Trunks are babies, what does that mean for Marron, Uub, Pan and Bra?
Imagine seeing young Master Roshi, his power should have increased. Piccolo Daimao got stronger from getting younger.

Piccolo and Gohan are nearly the same age, maybe a few years difference.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:07 pm

Goku and Vegeta doesn't have their tails back. Goku and Vegeta didn't lose their tail until in their adult age.
Last edited by super michael on Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:15 pm

I'm so hyped for Dragon Ball: Da Baby
Feels over Reals.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:16 pm

Psajdak wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:00 pm
ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:49 pm Seriously. It feels like Toriyama is trolling us. We have twelve universes to work with and we've barely left Earth. Is Vegeta EVER going to visit Sadala? Will the managa arcs ever be animated? What the heck are they doing? This is comical levels of disorganized.
I can see why Toriyama is making millions, and has many fans all over the world, and you don't.
Okay, while I don't really agree with ZeroNeonix, this is just a bad argument. Plenty of pieces of shit make money and have fan bases.

Anyway, if this is a story that Toriyama wants to tell over Salada or other universe stuff, I don't really see the issue. Writing is hard, exhausting, and torture. You should only have to do it when you're having fun (source: me).
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:24 pm

I do hope that we get to see Goten and Trunks fight and not be the only fighters who does nothing. I hope them being babies won't stop that from happening. If being babies does stop them, I hope they grow.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:27 pm

Thanos wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:33 pm Toriyama has the chance to correct a very critical error that GT failed on--please make the child-sized stuff a short, first arc thing and then return everything else to normal, post-Super goodness. I think everyone is assuming this is a fundamental part of the series as a whole but I don't think that's been confirmed. Maybe it's just a silly marketing gimmick to sell the series.

I guess that sorta leads to the follow-up question as to if this is intended as "Super 2" or a short one-off that leads into a separate "Super 2" series.
This would be a catastrophic marketing failure lol
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

TheDecentSaiyaman

Post by TheDecentSaiyaman » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:31 pm

'm mixed on this but trying to be open-minded. But it's extremely Toriyama to spend a ton of time setting up a bunch of potential plotlines and then not dig into them/go a completely different direction. This one feels especially curious. There's so much I'd love to see in a series. All the manga arcs post ToP! The whole multiverse they introduced! Sadala! Black Frieza! The creator of the Super Dragon Balls! Namekian lore! The super saiyan God! Broly!

But at the same time, I get that sometimes you're just not in that headspace as a writer and you need to do something new. This is such a different direction and seems like a re-do for GT but at the same time that feels kind of exciting? It's not what I hoped for, but I always love when Toriyama follows his whim. And if I'm being honest, I'd say the manga has also started to feel a bit repetitive to past arcs. While it's definitely echoing GT, there could be something fun here to go in a totally new direction and freshen up DB. Toriyama definitely has whoofed it before, but I like seeing an artist swing for the fences whether it works or not.

No idea what this might mean for end of z? At this point, it almost seems like EoZ doesn't make sense anymore lol or maybe is holding the story back from growing/keeping the stakes high. At this point, I'm just gonna try to enjoy the ride.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:34 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:37 pm I forgot to consider the composer of the music score. I don't know if they'll go with Saitou Naoki again, since he seems busy with PreCure, but I would definitely like them to try giving a few projects to Takanashi Yasuharu. I really enjoyed Takanashi's composition for the Dragon Ball Kai song Let It Burn, and Takanashi is historically just an amazing composer.

My pipedream choice would, of course, be Sagisu Shirou. :lol:
If I remember correctly, Takanashi has also done a good deal of PreCure work too. Personally, I'd say that he's my favorite composer for the franchise.

I'd give anything to see him return to Dragon Ball for a longer period after 'Let It Burn'.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:41 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:49 pm Is Vegeta EVER going to visit Sadala? Will the managa arcs ever be animated? What the heck are they doing?
I've said it before, I'll say it again:
"Goku and Vegeta go to Sadala."

Okay. What about this premise is interesting? What exactly is getting "hyped"? What sort of background information on the planet would we get that wasn't already explored in the Universe 6 and Universe Survival arcs, and how would that make for a compelling story? What does a Saiyan-themed story add to Super when we literally just had one in 2018?
Vegeta visiting Sadala is played out pandering that just isn't fun or engaging on its own. Concepts that Super introduced were useful only to the degree they added background to whatever story was being told, and that ship sailed with the tournament arcs.

But Goku and friends journeying through a new fantasy world after essentially being reset back to Level 1? Easily more narrative potential and ideas to play around with there, and ample ground for Toriyama to expand upon something he actually liked about GT.

I haven't been this excited for Dragon Ball's future in years.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:44 pm

Psajdak wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:00 pm
ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:49 pm Seriously. It feels like Toriyama is trolling us. We have twelve universes to work with and we've barely left Earth. Is Vegeta EVER going to visit Sadala? Will the managa arcs ever be animated? What the heck are they doing? This is comical levels of disorganized.
I can see why Toriyama is making millions, and has many fans all over the world, and you don't.
You're right. If only I had the creativity required to ride on nostalgia like a Disney executive. Copy/paste scripts for live action remakes. World building? Pfft. That's for dweebs. Just pander instead. Maybe next, Toriyama will reverse everyone's gender!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:45 pm

I have seen people say "Super is proably dead now" when that's probably not true. I think both can go on at the same time.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:46 pm

Sadala - MORE SAIYANS!!!

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:58 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:43 pm So the aesthetic and overall vibe is nothing like what your average gymbro expects or wants from Dragon Ball?
This is probably the best part of it, the franchise continues to leave them behind.
Grimlock wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:54 pmI don't think Japan has the word "consistency" in their vocabulary/dictionary. :lol:
Dragon Ball's problems are not the kind that can be found most anywhere else over there.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:06 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:44 pm Maybe next, Toriyama will reverse everyone's gender!
It could work.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:08 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:13 pm Music is something really important for me, so I hope we get a good composer. Liked Sumitomo work in DBS TV anime, however the rest of his work not really. Would love to have back Super Hero composer.
He's presently working on a new Godzilla movie and has a lot of other projects he normally does in general, too many to be involved with any more DB material, so that's really not likely to happen.
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:37 pm I forgot to consider the composer of the music score. I don't know if they'll go with Saitou Naoki again
Ditto the above reply, also where did you get that romanization from? It's 佐藤 not 斉藤/斎藤/齊藤/齋藤.
Takanashi Yasuharu. I really enjoyed Takanashi's composition for the Dragon Ball Kai song Let It Burn, and Takanashi is historically just an amazing composer.
He's working on the new Kinnikuman series by Production I.G.
Last edited by GhostEmperorX on Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:11 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:41 pm
ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:49 pm Is Vegeta EVER going to visit Sadala? Will the managa arcs ever be animated? What the heck are they doing?
I've said it before, I'll say it again:
"Goku and Vegeta go to Sadala."

Okay. What about this premise is interesting? What exactly is getting "hyped"? What sort of background information on the planet would we get that wasn't already explored in the Universe 6 and Universe Survival arcs, and how would that make for a compelling story? What does a Saiyan-themed story add to Super when we literally just had one in 2018?
Vegeta visiting Sadala is played out pandering that just isn't fun or engaging on its own. Concepts that Super introduced were useful only to the degree they added background to whatever story was being told, and that ship sailed with the tournament arcs.

But Goku and friends journeying through a new fantasy world after essentially being reset back to Level 1? Easily more narrative potential and ideas to play around with there, and ample ground for Toriyama to expand upon something he actually liked about GT.

I haven't been this excited for Dragon Ball's future in years.
Salada is essentially a window into an alternate history of Saiyans. A what-if scenario where they use their powers to help the weak instead of dominate them. There's a lot that can be done with that. I don't expect a whole movie about it, but we could have at least gotten a mini arc in the anime before it stopped. It's just so weird that they'd set up this plot with Vegeta, when they clearly never had any intention of following up on that idea.

I've noticed for a while that Toriyama doesn't really write interesting stories anymore. He takes stupid or lazy premises, but they're saved purely in the execution. Resurrection F shouldn't have worked, but Toriyama's humor made it entertaining. Super: Broly basically has the same plot as the original Broly movie, with some details changed. Lazy idea, but good execution, and good animation. Super Hero essentially took the Android saga and did it over again.

I don't see what people see in this premise. It sounds stupid AF. But it will probably have that Toriyama charm, and it will probably be fun anyway. I just miss when Dragon Ball had a more consistent structure, where first came the manga, then the anime adaptation, and the story was linear and easy to follow. Now there's multiple continuities, everything feels random, and nothing makes sense anymore. We're expected to know who Jaco is, even though he was introduced in a manga with no anime adaption. But the Super manga is ignored entirely. What's canon? What isn't canon? Who cares? They clearly don't.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:20 pm

Jesus Christ, we were having a plot about Saiyans doing nice things, helping people, and saving world since the very start of series.

Like, Dragon Ball is pretty much just that. :(