Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:51 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:34 pm Something I noticed upon rewatching the trailer was the Buu arc flashbacks at the beginning and the multiple shots of Babidi. Whoever those new characters are at the start are probably tied to Babidi in some way.

Also, just the thought of Chikashi Kubota reanimating iconic Buu arc moments the same way he did at the beginning of Super Hero gets me so excited. Those brief shots we saw looked incredible.
Well, Babidi is a clone of Bibidi. Maybe the shorter villain is a clone of Babidi. And the taller one is Dabura's brother. lol
Last edited by ZeroNeonix on Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:57 pm

People like what they want, I enjoy both light-hearted and "dark" DB, as long as it still feels like DB I'll like it
The true problem is people already saying that Daima sucks only because it's not what they expected and everyone being a kid again, They fucking never watched a single episode of it, how the fuck do they know that it sucks?
And as well, they seeing that WE JUST ASKED FOR SUPER 2, when in reality there's a lot of people who just want to see something 100% new
Both sides are equally annoying, Dragon Ball fans don't want to enjoy Dragon Ball.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:12 pm

Where is this going to be set storywise?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:13 pm

supersaiyamangod wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:12 pm Where is this going to be set storywise?
Some people think it could be set before BOG/Super and after Buu. However, Kibito and Shin are defused.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:35 pm

It's VERY pretty, and looks like it might be funny. Color me a bit more enthused than I was during the initial rumor breaking. Granted I'm not sure how "seriously" I'm supposed to take this but maybe thats the least most important part. We'll see.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:43 pm

The Monkey King wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:47 pmThe elitism on this forum is so cringe sometimes.

Do you really feel so superior to these "lesser DeeBeeZee" fans that you take delight in them not getting more of what they enjoy from Dragon Ball? If so that's quite toxic and pathetic honestly.
I am neither a regular on this place (or fandom) in particular, nor what you would call an "elitist". This is the legitimate impression I've gotten from some out there, and I'm not by any means the first person to claim that I "understand" the series or franchise because I really don't and I'm constantly seeking to at least have a proper idea of what it is I'm talking about (because not too long ago I didn't). What is certain to me is that people out there do in fact make these complaints as though the franchise owed them something, when nothing could be further from the truth.

I'm not even necessarily an advocate for this newly announced series, and for my part have lots of other things to do prior to its debut about a year or so from now. I'm just zeroing in on this aspect as a way to say to any with those sorts of complaints: "The franchise is what it is, not what you want it to be, for better or worse".

Also, I more or less agree with the following:
Rafa Fast wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:57 pmBoth sides are equally annoying, Dragon Ball fans don't want to enjoy Dragon Ball.

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:49 pm

It's crazy for the official stream can't see any of those special features. If that 1 person didn't stream the whole. Thing then we would have been screwed. Dragon ball daima is good so far. And now there's only one thing with dragon ball magic. dragon ball the magic begins.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:53 pm

I hope that Hikawa Kiyoshi performs the Opening theme song. They have consistently performed their song for Dragon Ball Super, Genkai Toppa, at their live performances. I hope that they have a chance to add another Dragon Ball song to their portfolio.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:57 pm

Just saw the Ajays twitters
Are they already making all the episodes prior to the release? If so, then is that the first time such thing happens to the series, right?
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:01 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:57 pm Just saw the Ajays twitters
Are they already making all the episodes prior to the release? If so, then is that the first time such thing happens to the series, right?
It is not clear yet if that is the production's goal or not. It would be nice if they actually finished things before releasing it, though. Anime typically doesn't have the luxury. Dragon Quest: Dai no Dai-Bouken (2020) ran for 100 episodes, but was luckily enough to have finished about 25 or so before Episode #1 was broadcast, if my memory serves.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:20 pm

Thanks, I wonder if it's really going to be a self contained story/production and after it we will get whatever it comes after as Super 2 or a new movie or jaco animated (lol)
If this is being made solely to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the manga, well, in case it's a weekly series, from September to December we can have 16 episodes (13 in case it only starts in the last week of September, which seems more likely to me)
I really can't feel that they'll push this forward into 2025 and any further, so I think it's secure to assume that these could be their plans.

Also, damn, people really don't know when Dragon Ball started huh? Countless sites are reporting the series as a reimagination of GT, such wish can't be made to the DBs anymore, people will point their fingers and say Grand Touring :lol:

Edit: remember the rumors constantly persisting on the 13 to 16 episode count?

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:39 pm

Wow, looks great. The whole introduction sets this up as the next major DB animation and the rest really delivers. The premise didn't catch my interest but now that I've seen what they're setting up here, I'm definitely paying attention.

I don't expect we can predict exactly what this is going to be, but the hints are really promising. We might even find out why Buu slept through Super.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:06 am

capsulecorp wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:39 pmWe might even find out why Buu slept through Super.
What do you mean? According to Mr. Satan, Buu just hibernates sometimes, and it's impossible to wake him up. IIRC, he said it happens once every six months or something.

Wait. Is Buu a baby now too? That would be ironic.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:51 am

Toriyama getting wacky is my kind of bullshit, so I'm ready for this ride. Hope they keep the trend with Super Hero on exploring some characters from a new angle, which the de-aging should make easier.

It'll be interesting to see who ends up in the spotlight, maybe if we're lucky there will be some pleasant surprises.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:56 am

mecha3000 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:40 pm Wait, on the English side of things, who will voice the younger characters besides Colleen Clinkenbeard as Goku? Monica Rial sounded sure she'd be back and she could pull off young kid/teen just fine as we've seen, but what about characters like Vegeta and Krillin? Will they do what Kai and Kakarot did and give Vegeta a younger voice actor (PLEASE DO, IT WOULD MAKE FOR A FUN DYNAMIC WITH COLLEENS VOICE) or will Chris Sabat do the voice like in Broly and for Vegeta Jr in GT?
I agree that Rial is going to do Bulma. Kuririn will probably still be played by Laurie Steele since she's returned for Super flashbacks. I can see Justin Briner doing Vegeta since he did the BoG arc flashback in Super TV (and I assume in Kakarot as well; haven't played it let alone in English), but I can also see Sabat doing it to be consistent with Broly. I'd personally go with Alexis Tipton since Laura Bailey did Young Vegeta in Kai, but that's just me. My money right now is on Briner though. He's a pretty big name since he stars in My Hero Academia, so I think it would go over well. I think it would be kinda funny to have Briner doing Kid Vegeta while Sabat still does Kid Yamcha and Piccolo. I hope they don't give Kid Piccolo that weird Meatwad voice from the OG DB dub though.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:58 am

Oh.. I can no longer sing the song: oh oh oh it's magic, you know, never believe it's not so...

But Daima is better.

I was looking forward to today to find more about it.

Special thanks to whoever uploaded the bulma as a kid in one of the early pages. It looks like they are taking her design from super.

All I can say is I will support this new series. I like goku's new design. I am curious and I want to know what Toriyama made this time.

I am particularly excited about the new vehicles he designed. I AM TRULY HYPED. I WANT 2024 TO BE HERE ALREADY!

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:04 am

What a weird idea!

Assorted thoughts
  • Why does Goku need to use the Nyoibo? Is he not able to go Super Saiyan anymore?
  • Kid Mr. Satan and kid Ox King hahahaha
  • Super hasn't ended and Black Freeza hasn't been resolved. Is the Black Freeza arc of Super going to run at the same time as this? Will Super and Daima be coming out at the same time?
  • Where does this fit on the timeline? When I heard the rumor about Magic I figured this was going to be an attempt to overwrite GT, but Goku has an orange gi and Uub is nowhere in sight. Is this after Super Hero? Kibitokai is unfused so it's at least post-Resurrection F.
Part of me is like "why would you make this", but Toriyama's involvement makes me think it'll probably be at least entertaining even if it derails the momentum Super has been building.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:10 am

It looks like Gokuu has trouble flying in the trailer, so I expect for him to use Kinto-un again. Ajay said not to expect transformations, so I just wouldn't expect Gokuu to be all that strong in this series.
She/Her
bisexual milf

supershonen

Post by supershonen » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:26 am

Why do we have to wait for another year if the series has been in production since 2020-21? I cannot wait for another year.

The only thing I have been worried is, what if fans don't like it and it flops like the super hero movie? They tried to do something different in Super hero and fans didn't like it. I have never been a fan of DBSuper, to me it is a bad looking copy of Z but it is really popular among fans and new generation. Even in my country i am always amused when I see fans liking it. "What's the appeal?". It seems fans still prefer Goku+Vegeta bleam clash spam fights and the OG db fails to generate same excitement as DBZ theme does.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:28 am

funrush wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:04 am Why does Goku need to use the Nyoibo? Is he not able to go Super Saiyan anymore?
He probably felt the need to go back to the fighting style he was familiar at that age.

Mostly because, as Julie pointed out, the trailer shows him struggling to fly. So, it's clear he's now unable to fight the same way as he did as an adult.