Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by Yuji » Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:59 am

Babidi and Boo showing up were probably the most exciting part of the trailer for me. The Boo arc deserves to have more impact to the lore of the series than it ended up having. It should be just as monumental of an event as the Freeza arc was.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:31 am

Rafa Fast wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:53 am
Jord wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:39 am Besides, Nozawa can't really do young Goku's voice that well anymore. Hearing her in the recent Kakarot DLC was hard to hear. Immense straining on her voice.
Didn't she speak at the panel fow a few minutes? I have no idea what she said because they had the balls to make that stupid decision of cutting the footage at those moments.
I'm not saying she can't speak anymore but recording an entire anime is another thing. Her dynamic range, which is one of the key components of the Goku voice (especially the young Goku) has been decreasing a lot.

This may be the perfect way to transition over to a new VA for Goku.

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:59 am

Gohan family in Daima

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:06 am

Well, I'm excited. It seems they took their time with the animation, and even more Toriyama's involvement is always welcome. I'm not exactly a fan of turning them all into kids (feels like a cop out to something), but I'm willing to go along with it if the story and everything else makes up for it. Who knows, I might even grow to like the idea.
funrush wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:04 amWhy does Goku need to use the Nyoibo? Is he not able to go Super Saiyan anymore?
Toriyama himself explains it here:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:14 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:51 pmIt's not as much a "Japan" thing as it is a Toriyama/Dragon Ball thing. Especially in the case of hair colour. And many other areas.
And speaking of colors, I noticed they are still going for Piccolo yellow parts, Kibito and Kaioshin of East are also seemingly colored the way they are in the manga, yet we still see white Karin. Don't they know Karin is blue?
Rafa Fast wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:57 pmThe true problem is people already saying that Daima sucks only because (...) and everyone being a kid again, They fucking never watched a single episode of it, how the fuck do they know that it sucks?
Dragon Ball Daima doesn't suck as of right now, but that aspect does indeed. Ever since 2008 we are stuck in the same time frame, and ever since then I'm waiting to see the characters grow up and get older, it is one of the most important features of Dragon Ball. So to see them regressing is the exact opposite of what I would like to see. Also, this is Dragon Ball, so we know what to expect. When Freeza was announced as the villain for the Movie 15, I just wanted to leave this Earth and find a better place to live, to this day I continue to want to do that rather than watching Movie 15, as it managed to turn out to be even worse than I imagined.

The point is, this is one aspect I don't see how it will benefit anything and it's very unlikely I will come to like to see them as kids. Maybe it will benefit power scale as you mentioned in another post, but I don't care about power scale/level. I'm only able to look past that aspect because there are other things catching my attention, like the possibility of finally seeing a Makaio/Makaioshin, which ever since 2009, they haven't done anything with that idea, not even Dragon Ball Heroes name dropped them. For now, it's my only complaint, but hopefully this issue gets solved quickly. This franchise really needs to move forward, and start looking straight ahead.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:23 am

It seems like the leak was right about Supreme Kai playing a major role.

Not only he appears in several shots of the trailer (while most of the other characters only appeared once), he also seems to be inspecting some kind of ship around minute 2:32. The ship they'll be using to go on adventure?

The villains are spectating the events of the Buu saga, where the Supreme Kai was undoubtedly one of the key players. He warned Goku and the others about Babidi and his minions, led them to their base, and then squared off against Majin Buu and lived to tell the tale.

Since this series seems to be giving a lot of importance to the "legacy" of the Buu saga, it makes sense to involve Supreme Kai in a major way, alongside Goku and Vegeta. Supreme Kai was one of the main characters of the Buu saga. They are even looking at one big frame of the Supreme Kai.

The guy next to the short villain clearly looks like a Kai himself. He has the typical mohawk hairstyle and long, pointy hears that Kais have. Unless he's some random alien like Tapion, then he's probably a Kai, or maybe even a Makaioshin.

Lastly, since this series seems to be all about "magic", it makes sense to involve the Kais because they are very magically-oriented. Their Godly status gives them special powers that can be likened to magic. Grand Supreme Kai was able to seal away Moro's magic, Shin and Zamasu use telekinetic abilities during fights, and Zamasu's Godly status also allowed him to reach a special form of Super Saiyan (on top of the fact that Fused Zamasu is basically a JRPG villain).

So I'm confident that the leak was also correct about Supreme Kai playing a major role.
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:25 am

Grimlock wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:14 amAnd speaking of colors, I noticed they are still going for Piccolo yellow parts, Kibito and Kaioshin of East are also seemingly colored the way they are in the manga, yet we still see white Karin. Don't they know Karin is blue?
Not really. Besides, Toriyama settled on white when they asked him to draw Karin for the latest movie.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:27 am

Here is something I have noticed, why does Marron look and act older than Goten and Trunks? Marron was a baby in the Buu Saga, while Goten and Trunks were 7/8 years old in the Buu saga.
In DBS Super Heroes they are teenagers both Goten and Trunks.

I say they have something against them for some reason.

Now if Goten and Trunks are not forbidden from doing anything, then I won't mind. However I believe they will use that as a excuse to stop them from doing anything.

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:17 am

I read somewhere there will be no transformation? Is this true?

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:22 am

Soba Mask wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:17 am I read somewhere there will be no transformation? Is this true?
I guess they are just hiding the transformation. I think it is even possible to have new transformation

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:48 am

Proportions definitely look a little off. Arms are too skinny, legs are too stubby, heads are too big. I know it's in line with modern Toriyama's style but Toriyama himself felt the need to have Goku grow up, and even elongated kid Goku's limbs during the 22nd TB-Daimao arcs, to make the fighting choreography work. I wonder if the animators will have trouble with kicks and hand-to-hand fighting and that's why they're relying on the Nyoibo?

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:10 am

Yeah I have a provlem with this too. If the wish to make them younger that just doesn't seem to be the case. We saw young goku and he was still pretty tall. Piccolo was 3 years old at the tournament and he was tall too. It's going to be hard to adjust to this style for me it's really not to my liking.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:39 am

At first I was a bit iffy on the idea of turning Goku into a kid again based on what the rumors were saying. After discovering that everyone is getting the GT treatment now, I'm still somewhat iffy. Maybe it'll be like Super Hero where they once again recycle an existing idea/character moment but actually manage to justify it with a good story.

That being said, judging from how Toriyama's message described the story, it sounds like we might be going back to not just pre-Z era Dragon Ball in terms of tone and structure, but pre-Piccolo era Dragon Ball- when it was an adventure that had fighting in it as opposed to a series of fights contextualized by stopping bad guys from doing bad things, the latter being what has defined the franchise ever since that formula was established. After watching the trailer, this feels like a breath of fresh air the way Super Hero did, so I'm all in on the franchise doing a more pre-Z, adventure-style Dragon Ball story where the fights are just one aspect of the story as opposed to the central element.

Plus it's great seeing references to the Buu arc. I'm guessing that's mostly because of Kaioshin's presence as well as the Demon Realm playing a role, but perhaps there's more to it. Gonzo magic and mystical stuff is my jam when it comes to Dragon Ball. The Buu arc brought that stuff back to the forefront and this story seems set to majorly expand on it.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this series.
Last edited by Majin Buu on Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:06 am

As I've said too many times, it's practically impossible to write something that makes the slightest narrative sense after the premises laid down by BoG. The only way was some sort of reboot. "Revisited" characters, new dimensions, and goodbye to stupid recolors and unacceptable power levels.
For me it's fine, it doesn't look like a GT copy, so far I've seen good animations and impressive backgrounds.

Above all, there is *an underlying plot*, a common thread, the one missing in Super. In Super it was the rivalry between Goku and Beerus, which was totally ignored and there's really nothing to support the narrative other than random encounters drawn from a deck.

The problem if any is that DAIMA will most likely eclipse Super. I had no desire to see Moro and Granola adapted, even less now. Like me, I assume several others are interested in the stories rather than seeing Goku beat up people *for no reason* just because they show up. In my opinion, this DAIMA is the tombstone of Super. Enjoy what remains of the manga, which will then be considered only a "semifictional" and skippable bridge that connects Broly movie to the future movie starring Black Frieza.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:31 am

ChronoTwigger wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:06 am As I've said too many times, it's practically impossible to write something that makes the slightest narrative sense after the premises laid down by BoG. The only way was some sort of reboot. "Revisited" characters, new dimensions, and goodbye to stupid recolors and unacceptable power levels.
For me it's fine, it doesn't look like a GT copy, so far I've seen good animations and impressive backgrounds.

Above all, there is *an underlying plot*, a common thread, the one missing in Super. In Super it was the rivalry between Goku and Beerus, which was totally ignored and there's really nothing to support the narrative other than random encounters drawn from a deck.

The problem if any is that DAIMA will most likely eclipse Super. I had no desire to see Moro and Granola adapted, even less now. Like me, I assume several others are interested in the stories rather than seeing Goku beat up people *for no reason* just because they show up. In my opinion, this DAIMA is the tombstone of Super. Enjoy what remains of the manga, which will then be considered only a "semifictional" and skippable bridge that connects Broly movie to the future movie starring Black Frieza.
People wants the Moro and Granolah chapter to get animated for two reasons:

- So the Moro and Granolah characters and forms can get added to Dragon Ball games.
- Because people enjoy watching anime more than reading the manga for whatever reason.

For me it is the 1st one, so characters stops getting excluded.

I have no problem with the idea of everyone de-aging, but turning some characters into babies is a bit too much, afters fans has been asking for them to grow up.

Kazuya Mishima
Banned

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:37 am

It definitely seems like this is a redone canon version of GT.

Much like how DBS Broly was a redone canon version of DBZ Broly.

It obviously takes place after Buu but I don't see anything to suggest it takes place before Beerus?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:02 am

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:37 am It definitely seems like this is a redone canon version of GT.
Except that GT is a story set after End of Z, and this is not, so it will never be the redone version you want it to be, if the status quo is still set in stone. In GT, there could be perma consequences like Piccolo dying. Here everything will return to the status quo because as I said, it's STILL before EoZ.

And nobody from the staff really cares about "canon" either. Toriyama just took a concept he liked and went with it.
Heck, this may even be a different timeline altogether judging by the weird absence of Beerus and Whis.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:11 am

This is literally what happened with Total Drama Island all over again. Fans are begging years on end for the series to continue, hear rumors about it coming back, get excited, only to hear the announcement of a spin-off where they are all babies :lol:

At least TD came back this year with a regular new season so DB will most likely will too.

But man does this feel like trolling. Doesn't help that the animation and art looks amazing, way better than Super's.

I'll still check it out, but it's understandable why people are mad about this. I just don't really get why they took the series in this direction when most fans wanted the opposite of it. I just hope Goku won't steal all of the spotlight like he did in GT cause then I will be pissed.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:13 am

This is why I set up the cannon like

Dragon Ball - Z - GT (Battle of gods + ROF kind of messes things up tho but it's branded as Z)

Dragon Ball - Kai - Super/Daima (as of now) - Broly - Super Hero

Z timeline is more Toei focused and the Kai is more Toriyama focused

And then there is the Manga wich is just DB and Super, it's doing it's own thing

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:32 am

Xeogran wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:44 pmIt's not a critical error at all but an intended plot element (Goku didn't have any problem being a kid again and prefered to just grow up naturally again), and Toriyama really liked Goku becoming a kid again. He's that kinda guy who prefers silly comedy over long drawn out fights, probably even more so now.

GT didn't fail, stop spouting lies already. Most of other series on this planet would love to be as popular as GT is, even over 3 decades later.
Please point me to where I said GT was a failure. Spouting lies? Ooookay. Sounds like you have some personal demons to work out there, that has nothing to do with me. I’m sure the series only receiving a 64 episode-run and Dragon Ball essentially going dark for over a decade was due to GT’s runaway success! Take a look around at the reception to the characters being turned into kids. There’s plenty of controversy with the concept.

“Critical error” is a matter of perspective. I think it was an interesting idea for an arc or perhaps two to have Goku as a kid, but to go the entire series without the Goku we grew accustomed to was an odd choice.

Hopefully that rings true here and everybody grows up after a handful of episodes.
Last edited by Thanos on Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.